Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Good news, Cubs fans! Miles Mastrobuoni is back!

dansby on IL :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Who would you like the Cardinals to sell off? They are a weird mix of young guys and old dudes so not going to exactly get great returns for the most part.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I don’t think anyone watching Judge run into that gate had any idea it was going to be this impactful. That’s just terrible luck.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Hand Row posted:

Who would you like the Cardinals to sell off? They are a weird mix of young guys and old dudes so not going to exactly get great returns for the most part.

lol

Goldy and Arenado could not be any more obvious trade candidates.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Goldschmidt yea but I dunno why you would sell off the team. Just like you know actually sign pitching this time around and get a new manager.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Just go out and sign 5 decent starters and an all new bullpen, no problem

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Wait, if I'm doing the math right there, does that mean they have a team OBP of .380 in that span? That's pretty good and makes for some crazy ISOs.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Goldschmidt yea but I dunno why you would sell off the team. Just like you know actually sign pitching this time around and get a new manager.

Tank fetish.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just sign Madier Yolina to a one year prove it contract.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Hand Row posted:

Montgomery and flaherty for sure. They both expire at the end of the year, Montgomery in particular has been the best pitcher in the rotation this year and would be a good pickup for an actual contender. Like the dodgers or astros? I don’t know that there would be much return on the bullpen dudes but none of them should be be off limits aside from, I don’t know, Zach Thompson. And he should be starting next year anyway.

Tyler O’Neill, Dylan Carlson, Alec burleson, and maybe a guy like Brendan Donovan are all guys who should be getting thrown in.

If they actually wanted to tear it down, Goldschmidt should be moved too, next year is his last one on this deal. They’re gonna try and extend him I think. I’d be happy to move arenado if the return was good but I don’t think it would be right now. If I thought there was a way out from under Contreras I’d be fine with it but this is about as low of a value as he could possibly have

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Well if you think this is a capable roster that is just having an anomalous season and the team can somehow become good next year then don't sell anyone. This Cardinals pitching staff ain't winning poo poo, though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Arenado has a full no-trade clause. He also just opted into 5/144 the same offseason Machado got 11/350 after threatening to opt out in a year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Well if you think this is a capable roster that is just having an anomalous season and the team can somehow become good next year then don't sell anyone. This Cardinals pitching staff ain't winning poo poo, though.

seems like that calculation has always been built on the Central largely being full of fuckups but Cincinnati attempting to actually be good for once might throw it off

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

elentar posted:

seems like that calculation has always been built on the Central largely being full of fuckups but Cincinnati attempting to actually be good for once might throw it off

I don't think Cincinnati is very good, either. It's nice to see them have a run, but they have a lot of glaring holes. It's easy to see how every NL Central GM could find themselves in a state of choice paralysis stuck with a middling roster in a division that is garbage from top to bottom and could be won by anyone.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

DeepDickPizza posted:

He hit a double and scored in his first PA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DeepDickPizza posted:

If you think that then you should still sell anyone with value who's contract will be up this winter

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Goldschmidt I could see being traded but trading Arenado would be insane. Goldschmidt is amazing all around but Arenado is wayyy too good and seems to love playing there.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

DeepDickPizza posted:

I agree but I don’t feel that way. The Reds will probably be better next year and they already look decent at worst now. I think that they should be moving anybody who isn’t nailed down to try and replenish the coffers. Idk

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Two decent starting pitchers and two low era/whip relievers would do wonders for the team tbh even though that’s a bit harder to get than it sounds on paper.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
They should at minimum fire the new pitching coach. I am not a huge Mike Maddux fan but the dropoff cannot be solely blamed on Willson Contreras (which I think is silly anyways).

Mozeliak has constructed this roster like an insane person regardless. There are so many redundancies and forcing guys to learn new positions that leads to bad defense. Goldschmidt needs to be moved at the deadline to bring in more Top 100 talent, which the Cardinals always seem to have but their development frequently stalls once they get to the bigs (unless they are traded to another team in which case they become Cy Young and MVP candidates).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really like Maddux and have to assume he saw the writing on the wall when he decided to not come back. It surprised me at the time but in retrospect makes complete sense. It’s a shame too because I think he would be the right guy to work with not just all of the current pitching struggles in general but Flaherty in specific. Throughout the years as soon as Maddux got his hand on a shoulder you knew the pitcher was about to settle down lol.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Guess I’m okay with moving Goldy as long as we keep Gorman and especially Noot, if only for the name

Nooooooooooooot

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If they trade Gorman and Noot I will become a Cubs fan.

e: lol noot just stole a home run from vaughn as I sent that

nooooooooooot

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My running joke with my father was that every time Mike Maddux went out to the mound he was telling the pitcher which family members they would never see again if they didn't settle down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeepDickPizza posted:

I woke up to this and the Cubs losing 6-1, lmao. :suicide:

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cerami/status/1677680946546368521

4 IP 4 ER again today, so the trend continues. Probably not shaping up to be the flip candidate Jed was hoping for.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Marcade posted:

My running joke with my father was that every time Mike Maddux went out to the mound he was telling the pitcher which family members they would never see again if they didn't settle down.

Dark Maddux where the hand on the shoulder is followed up with “the grip you feel on your shoulder is nothing compared to the grip I have on everything you hold dear”.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Goldschmidt needs to be moved at the deadline to bring in more Top 100 talent, which the Cardinals always seem to have but their development frequently stalls once they get to the bigs (unless they are traded to another team in which case they become Cy Young and MVP candidates).

They should trade Goldschmidt for more guys who are going to stall out?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Goldy for Judge straight up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Christe Eleison posted:

I don’t think anyone watching Judge run into that gate had any idea it was going to be this impactful. That’s just terrible luck.

It wasn't bad luck that a 300 million dollar team is so dependent on 1 player though. It was really bad roster construction.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

live with fruit posted:

They should trade Goldschmidt for more guys who are going to stall out?

Yes, that is exactly what I want.

Obviously I want a change in the front office and organizational philosophy as almost every Cardinals fan who posts on here has said over the past several seasons.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
As a non-Cardinals fan, I see them firing Marmol and hiring Melvin after Preller scapegoats him in San Diego and then winning the 24 World Series.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nah Ohtani’s Giants will crush the Cards in the NLCS (and I’ll be here for it)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Nah Ohtani’s Giants will crush the Cards in the NLCS (and I’ll be here for it)

I stand corrected, though I still think it'd go 7 games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1677782952363655171

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I love Detr0it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Are these Madden create a players?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

mcmagic posted:

Are these Madden create a players?

Manning was a 1st rounder out of high school a while back and been injured a lot, but Foley and Lange have been the 8th/9th inning guys for the Tigers all season and have been great (save for a couple of clunkers).

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
N: I'm so loving tired

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I will go to my grave arguing that a combined no-hitter is a better accomplishment than a 1 pitcher no-hitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1677806388511137795