Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oxyclean posted:

how is a slide too loud? is it a slide for rocks?

Vancouver: Everybody have fun, responsibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aw I sorta missed the pedestrian vs car derail. But yeah I had a similar confrontation with a guy a few months ago. I was about to step out when the walk light turned on at a major intersection and he gunned it to make a right turn in his Excursion or some other such monstrosity. Missed running over my toe by inches. I slapped his mirror hard enough to fold it in, and he got out and screamed that he was gonna kick my rear end. Fortunately he was short, fat as gently caress, and all talk, so when I turned and said "I'm right here big guy" he folded and started talking about calling the cops and how he's "got witnesses."

Then he followed me for a block and pulled a U-turn to accost me again. I said something like "are you actually going to assault me or what," and went to pull my phone out to film. He thought I was going for a weapon, jumped back all startled and got back in his car.

So yeah, whoever said that 'confrontation is fun until you meet someone who will take it further than you' is right. I'm confident I would have 100% wrecked him even back then when I wasn't in great shape (no question now), and most drivers do turn out to be cowards as soon as they're removed from their steel safety cages, but it was still absolutely nerve-wracking and had me jacked up the rest of the day. Even winning that fight wouldn't be good, hell if the guy really did phone it in to the cops you just know they're going to take his side because 'touching someone's car is assault' or some poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i assume you were carrying your regulation gun flashlight and three inch blade

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

As a bike commuter in Vancouver, nearly getting hit by cars who don’t shoulder check before turning right through very active bike lanes is a dial to occurrence. If we make eye contact I wag my index in a “No no no” way. If I was confronting them I would be getting too angry on the daily.

Most of the drivers don’t even notice that they’ve nearly run over someone and drive off happily.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vyelkin posted:

i assume you were carrying your regulation gun flashlight and three inch blade

three inch folder*

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

someone let him know he can just bring his CCW next time, as a result of Bill C-88 it’s now legal for valid permit-holding Americans to carry in Canada so long as they report immediately to a police station with their permit and identification for inspection/registration

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I once rode my bike on ketamine and clipped a parked car's side mirror with the handlebar hard enough to evaporate it. gently caress that hurt.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Wheeee posted:

someone let him know he can just bring his CCW next time, as a result of Bill C-88 it’s now legal for valid permit-holding Americans to carry in Canada so long as they report immediately to a police station with their permit and identification for inspection/registration

I can't tell if this is true

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

sounds like something this "sovereign" "nation" would do

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wheeee posted:

gently caress!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

*lights self on fire* Canada's reliance on firearms is getting a bit too literal.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Samuel Glompers posted:

I can't tell if this is true

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

from that page:

"Visitors to Canada
To import firearms into Canada you must have a valid purpose. Valid purposes can include (but are not limited to) the following:

hunting during hunting season (limited to non-restricted firearms only)
use in competitions
repair
in transit movement, i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from point A to point B, through Canada
protection against wildlife in remote areas (limited to non-restricted firearms only)"

none of those would apply

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e: doesn't work for this joke

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wheeee posted:

lol that is not true

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Wheeee posted:

Bill C-68

Also partly true, but you have to have a reasonable justification and a destination that qualifies. Import/Export for the purposes of selling, going to a range, gunshow, stuff like that. As your personal CCW for protection? Lol no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"protection against wildlife in remote areas"

byward market is over 350km from toronto, it clearly qualifies

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

"protection against wildlife in remote areas"

byward market is over 350km from toronto, it clearly qualifies

everyone living in Ontario is considered "wildlife"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

CLAM DOWN posted:

doug ford is on notice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

sure, and ottawa is definitely "remote"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

protection against wildlife in remote areas (limited to non-restricted firearms only)"

this one's especially funny given the story I read yesterday about the guy who brought a shotgun on a hike, shot a bear from across a river, and claimed self-defence because he was scared, and the judge was like "that's no reason to do any of what you did, everyone is scared of bears that doesn't mean you can wander into the woods and shoot them"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

vyelkin posted:

this one's especially funny given the story I read yesterday about the guy who brought a shotgun on a hike, shot a bear from across a river, and claimed self-defence because he was scared, and the judge was like "that's no reason to do any of what you did, everyone is scared of bears that doesn't mean you can wander into the woods and shoot them"

literally a plot point from early south park lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vyelkin posted:

Not just on a hike, on a hike in a national park.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

oh, canada thread

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This just proves how much our national identity and unity is based on dunking on stupid Americans

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I look both ways even on one way streets now because of all the door dash scoots zipping around. Even sidewalks aren’t safe.

Also crossing in front of a Tesla is basically a coin toss

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i wont step in front of a running car i.e at an intersection or crosswalk unless i'm somewhere consistently too busy to jaywalk or whatever

i'm a commercial driver so i'll keep it charitable - even the most considerate person behind the wheel is operating heavy machinery that they're undertrained for, frequently trying to assess traffic from multiple directions as well as pedestrians who are way smaller and harder to notice, and they do so in a system engineered not for the safety of other drivers or the squishy meatbags between them but for the maximum profitability of auto manufacturers and real estate developers.

i wouldn't risk my bodily health in a controlled setting with a limited number of qualified operators, definitely not doing it in public, vs. everyone, hoping that 'right of way' or whatever protects me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

pedestrian fatalities have risen alongside the dramatic rise in light trucks and large SUVs on the road

large vehicles are in dire need of heavy regulation to largely remove them from the consumer market, nobody should be daily driving an F-150

yes i am aware that this will never happen

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wheeee posted:

pedestrian fatalities have risen alongside the dramatic rise in light trucks and large SUVs on the road

They haven't really, not in Canada, despite the steady rise in truck and SUV ownership and probably total mileage. You can find older numbers elsewhere but pedestrian deaths have been steady at about 320/year. Most other wiser countries have seen significant reductions rather than a flat trend as cars get safer (for drivers and passengers, at least) so as usual the best Canada can claim is not being as bad as the US, where things have been getting worse since COVID despite the temporary reduction in mileage.

Notably Europe has crash safety tests for vulnerable road users (aka people not in cars) and the obvious solution is to set minimum standards on similar tests and ban all vehicles that fail to meet them but lol.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jul 8, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I can't believe they classify my CUV as a truck. It's an upright car. And my 73 Chevy was longer and heavier despite only being a coupe

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

vyelkin posted:

I assume the bear was ok?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in re car chat

https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1677902504393072642?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
human error is one thing, but i generally avoid driving anywhere near teslas if i can help it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

vyelkin posted:

for safety we will be issuing all pedestrians a shotgun flashlight to shine in drivers' eyes

CLAM DOWN posted:

or my tacticool flashlight

I always bring mine to the bar for self-defense.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/HinduHate/status/1677816221050478592

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

we shhan't be doing that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"Toronto"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Another Bill posted:

I assume the bear was ok?

It was injured and ran away. They park employees couldn't immediately find it, and stopped looking because no one wants to gently caress with an angry injured bear.

It's a loving bear though, unless it dies of infection it will probably be fine? A shotgun is not the right tool for hunting bears. Dude is lucky the bear ran off rather than attacking. If he tried that stunt with a grizzly he'd be dead, lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

wait it was a black bear he was so afraid of that he shot it from across a river? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t you defeat a black bear by yelling really loud