Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

pork never goes bad posted:

It's like you didn't read the post. If the player character has CC but enemies don't, you either need to get rid of pvp or add pvp only skills that don't see use in pve - either adding a layer of confusion or making pvp capable builds gimped in pve. None of those options seem great to me.

Or many other replies, frankly - your answer for what to do to increase difficulty to match what enemy cc does is laughable.

Oh you were talking only about PVP. My apologies.

Human players CC'ing other human players in PVP is an entirely different discussion and as long as it's balanced, imo it's fine. I'm only specifically talking about AI enemies being able to CC the player, which I don't think should be in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank Lilith it's not your decision :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My brother in Inarius it's supposed to suck when you get CC'd.

Supposed to suck to run out of HP or ability juice, too

I find that one of the most enjoyable parts of the game is putting together a build that prevents those t hings from happening & lets me become real powerful as I kill mobs & receive loot :hellyeah:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

GreatGreen posted:

What? The design alternative would just be "don't let enemies CC the player." Period. Done. Simple as that. I have a nice time playing the game when I'm not getting CC'd, don't you? I'm not sure why the discussion has to progress beyond that at all. Getting CC'd at all always sucks and is never, ever fun. While you're playing other games, do you think "man this is a cool game but I sure would love it if I was randomly frozen in place for a while every 5th fight while enemies chip away at my health for an extended period, in the middle of a bunch of cool action, and there's nothing I can do about it?" No. You don't.

Also, about "player character has no CC"... why? It's fun for the player to be able to CC enemies. It's not fun for the player to get CC'd by mobs. So... let the player CC enemies but don't let enemies CC the player. Diablo is a game about mowing through fields of enemies. It's not about being "fair" for all the pieces on the board, it's about being fun for the player.

this feels like you read the first part of my post and got really mad and rushed to post instead of finishing reading the whole thing

tbf youre right that it kind of sucks. the trade off is just that for whatever reason you need pvp apparently and this is all just a way to deal with that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Hmm, if only there was some other system that could be leveraged against the player as a consequence of mistakes during fights. Maybe some pool of resource that, if depleted, would end the player's "life" or something.

If only.

so glad u arent the one making decisions lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

What? The design alternative would just be "don't let enemies CC the player." Period. Done. Simple as that. I have a nice time playing the game when I'm not getting CC'd, don't you? I'm not sure why the discussion has to progress beyond that at all. Getting CC'd at all always sucks and is never, ever fun. While you're playing other games, do you think "man this is a cool game but I sure would love it if I was randomly frozen in place for a while every 5th fight while enemies chip away at my health for an extended period, in the middle of a bunch of cool action, and there's nothing I can do about it?" No. You don't.

i do. the discussion goes beyond that bcos people other than you exist in the world. are you 10 years old?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
ARPG fans are whiny fuckin’ babies and every time something different appears in a new game a chorus of shrill cries rises from the depths of the internet to quell the demon we call change.

GG this is not directed at you it is an observable trend. You just happen to be exemplifying it atm.

e: like for real if I’m actually contemplating defending loving Blizzard of all things because of how miserable the fanbase can be… like drat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I would simply use the dodge button to move out of the way of the attacks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hate being cc'd. When a boss fight is not a gear check, I quiver with impotent rage

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My brother in Inarius it's supposed to suck when you get CC'd.

Supposed to suck to run out of HP or ability juice, too

I find that one of the most enjoyable parts of the game is putting together a build that prevents those t hings from happening & lets me become real powerful as I kill mobs & receive loot :hellyeah:

Please do not call people brothers in Inarius. That guy was a dweeb and terrible father. He's basically the bad guy in an episode of dateline.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
mm hm, mm hm, yes, and yet... those wings. Those greaves!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Inarius was right

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
ARPG player brain = anything that challenges me in any way is bad design and it should not exist

even loving wow players are less whiny than these people lmao

those spiders are annoying as hell though, i gotta say...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

we can all come together and agree the spider webs need to be deleted from the game immediately

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been playing necro and kinda enjoy the combat and CC elements; but I can also see why they'd be frustrating
Additional movement speed on my boots helped a LOT, but being tactical with dodges / unstoppable is pretty fun for me

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GreatGreen posted:

Oh you were talking only about PVP. My apologies.

Human players CC'ing other human players in PVP is an entirely different discussion and as long as it's balanced, imo it's fine. I'm only specifically talking about AI enemies being able to CC the player, which I don't think should be in the game.

I mean you can just say you’re bad at the game and don’t understand the myriad ways to break CC. My NM push HOTA Barb is for all intents and purposes immune to CC. Not only that I can still crit for 12 million damage and I’ve got 13k HP plus 14k armor when my buffs are rolling on top of absurd DR. If you’re getting owned by CC you are likely prioritizing the wrong stuff for the difficulty you are playing on.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I give up, you're all insane lol. For like the last 15 years up until immediately before Diablo 4 came out, it was basically a universal constant of game design that you Do Not Take Control From The Player. This was not and is not a controversial opinion. And there's a reason for it. It sucks and simply isn't fun, and there are a thousand better ways to handle difficulty and punishment.

But now that your favorite new game has bad designers that remove control from the player regularly, well suddenly it's fine and anybody who expresses that they don't like it just needs to get gud and stop bitching because there's nothing wrong or not fun about it at all and it's always been this way.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Stux posted:

we can all come together and agree the spider webs need to be deleted from the game immediately

also the bugs that slow you just by being near you

who thought that was a worthy goddamn addition

GreatGreen posted:

I give up. You're all insane. For like the last 15 years up until immediately before Diablo 4 came out, it was basically a universal constant of game design that you Do Not Take Control From The Player. This was not and is not a controversial opinion. And there's a reason for it. It sucks and simply isn't fun, and there are a thousand better ways to handle difficulty and punishment.

"universal constant of game design" lmao

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
dam u rite

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GreatGreen posted:

I give up. You're all insane. For like the last 15 years up until immediately before Diablo 4 came out, it was basically a universal constant of game design that you Do Not Take Control From The Player. This was not and is not a controversial opinion. And there's a reason for it. It sucks and simply isn't fun, and there are a thousand better ways to handle difficulty and punishment.

But now that your favorite new game has bad designers that remove control from the player regularly, well suddenly it's fine and anybody who expresses that they don't like it just needs to get gud and stop bitching because there's nothing wrong or not fun about it at all and it's always been this way.

What the hell are you talking about? There’s CC in WoW. There’s CC in Call of Duty. There’s CC in Spider-Man. I could keep on listing games that have mechanics that impede your characters ability to attack/defend or flat out lock up your controls for a second.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Baps posted:

also the bugs that slow you just by being near you

who thought that was a worthy goddamn addition

someone who made the swarms in D2 drain stamina that got updated for a game with no stamina i bet

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"There's no such thing as good player CC in a game."

Somebody should tell those clowns making horde shooters. Or Soulslikes. Or MMOs which have it in PvE(i.e. boss mechanics) or PvP(with normalized CC breaks where timing and anticipation of such is incredibly vital.) Or... etc. :haw: Hell, they should tell the morons who made noted ARPG disasters D2/D3 which featured such trash as Diablo casting Bone Cage on me.

What do you think is more likely: CC against the PC has a place in game design(and can be done well or poorly by the devs, admittedly) and you're pissed you need to fit a source of Unstoppable into your build OR the overwhelming majority of game devs in the entire medium for the last 40 years are idiots who got it wrong?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 8, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GreatGreen posted:

I give up, you're all insane lol. For like the last 15 years up until immediately before Diablo 4 came out, it was basically a universal constant of game design that you Do Not Take Control From The Player. This was not and is not a controversial opinion. And there's a reason for it. It sucks and simply isn't fun, and there are a thousand better ways to handle difficulty and punishment.

I bet you just need to make More posts, to break through the barrier of understanding & get some people on board

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Hey guys my Charmander just got paralyzed on my playthrough of Red. This game sucks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

You are the reason why games have to include ultra baby modes like an NPC that tells you how to solve puzzles the second you enter a room.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When devs say Don't Take Control From the Player they mean don't make decisions on their behalf you dingus. Don't walk them through a door. Present them with a door and let them walk through it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CC would be bad if it was unavoidable bullshit to force you to use your anti CC moves, if you failed to dodge something and get frozen, that's an entirely separate thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The CC in Diablo IV is super easy baby levels to avoid. You should under no circumstances be getting hit by it if you're at all paying attention.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you heard that "stunning the player is bad" by playing or following too much Overwatch chat, where they did in fact do it pretty poorly in OW1. :v:

El Scandelouse posted:

Hey guys my Charmander just got paralyzed on my playthrough of Red. This game sucks.

Getting petrified in Symphony of the Night, noted terrible game.
Being grabbed by handmasters, redeads or like-likes in noted badly selling game series Legend of Zelda.
Being hit by status effects in the entire RPG genre and realizing it was trash made by fools.
Being grabbed by a zombie in any game across a dozen genres and knowing it was a mistake to give them my money.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

CC would be bad if it was unavoidable bullshit to force you to use your anti CC moves, if you failed to dodge something and get frozen, that's an entirely separate thing.

I said come in! posted:

The CC in Diablo IV is super easy baby levels to avoid. You should under no circumstances be getting hit by it if you're at all paying attention.

Some of the cues could be visually smoother but eh such is life when we also want full screens of fuckers to kill simultaneously.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Listen brother/sister/human, you complained about a mechanic that gave you trouble. There exists an answer to that mechanic, which several posters explained. You can argue about the merit of the design all you want but it’s not going to change the current state of the game and this is not an issue of an unfair design, it’s an issue of developer intent/priority and which proscribed counters exist for the system they designed. You don’t have to like it, hell I said myself I don’t like the options as offered right now, but it’s not a question of CC bad or CC good, it’s a question of people trying to be helpful and you getting hot headed about it.

Again, play the game you have not the one you want. And if the one you have makes you sad, play something else.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The only CC that really feels like bullshit is high nightmare cold enchanted elites instafreezing you with one basic attack, particularly as a melee character who is going to regularly get hit by basic attacks no matter what.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yes cold enchantment can go and gently caress right off.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I wish the darkness one would let you use your skills so y’all could play how I do rofl.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think it's really funny that the dog poo poo Ice Shard build everyone was running was now supplanted by a meta build that is incredibly similar to what I had been running for weeks and crushing NM50s with.

I been had saying that build is poo poo and other possibilities exist, but people just pull out their pencils doing dogshit math without factoring in actual spell behavior and how stupid OP stacking multiple Blizzards with massively reduced mana cost due to itemization with the Ice Spikes passive and plenty of crit on the same exact spot 6 times in 10 seconds.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
This may be an elementary question, but I’ve never really played a Diablo beyond it’s campaign before. When the new season starts should I always play at the maximum difficulty available to me? I played through the campaign on world tier 1 per the threads suggestion. I’m now on world tier 2 since I plan on doing the first capstone dungeon the next time I play.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

SettingSun posted:

Yes cold enchantment can go and gently caress right off.

My biggest pet peeve is some of the random one shot mechanics in nm75+. I can have all three shouts up, fortify, iron skin, and all my DR affixes procced and will still get randomly deleted.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

GreatGreen got bodied by somebody playing Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat 2 and never emotionally recovered.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

GreatGreen posted:

Thank you, but you may be too big for this thread, a relatively tiny digital space.

Perhaps the design team could use someone with your nuanced outlook? Submit an application and get hired! Help shift the game towards a better direction, which in turn will make waves across the game development space and ultimately improve the mechanical quality of games overall. Those that are demonstrably correct have a moral obligation to themselves and society as a whole to not only articulate their truth, but to physically apply it to reality.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think it's really funny that the dog poo poo Ice Shard build everyone was running was now supplanted by a meta build that is incredibly similar to what I had been running for weeks and crushing NM50s with.

I been had saying that build is poo poo and other possibilities exist, but people just pull out their pencils doing dogshit math without factoring in actual spell behavior and how stupid OP stacking multiple Blizzards with massively reduced mana cost due to itemization with the Ice Spikes passive and plenty of crit on the same exact spot 6 times in 10 seconds.

A lot of the “meta” builds on popular websites are a decent start but they go about 2 feet into a 10 foot deep pool. Maxroll has end game NM push HOTA Barb using lunging strike when you absolutely need the additional 16% DR gained from flay. One you get berserk ripping you can swap from 2H sword technique to 2H axe for that extra vuln crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ice shards isn't a poo poo build

NM50 is basically an at-level dungeon at 100, and is baby poo poo.

Everyone is doing blizzard because there's videos of blowing up Uber Lilith in one stagger. Versus spending 15 solid minutes of dodging 100000 one hit kill mechanics perfectly.