Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

zedprime posted:

Yellow cake is UnOx which is pretty fine and dandy in the heavy metal poisoning front since your body is pretty adept at peeing out metal oxides. A lot like lead, for an adult you need to be acting really stupid for heavy metal poisoning to kick in.
So is the practical concern with lead more a matter of gradual accumulation, or your body reaching equilibrium with the nonzero amount of lead in the water you're drinking? Something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah before enrichment it's just a mildly radioactive heavy metal. The half life of uranium 238 is 4 and a half billion years which puts it in the relatively stable column for a radioactive isotope. It's after it's bombarded with neutrons and forced to undergo fission that you get the fun byproducts.

Even after enrichment, on its own pure U235 is still mostly just a mildly toxic heavy metal with such a long halflife it may as well be stable across human-relevant timescales. It gets a lot nastier when you consider everything required to produce enriched uranium. And storing/processing significant amounts of it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vavrek posted:

So is the practical concern with lead more a matter of gradual accumulation, or your body reaching equilibrium with the nonzero amount of lead in the water you're drinking? Something like that?
Heavy metal poisoning is an amount and time thing so anything that keeps it in your body longer is the main problem for anyone not seasoning their wine with lead acetate.

The modern expectation of lead elimination is largely for kids who can bioaccumulate enough with far smaller exposures and have a lifetime of effects. An adult can otherwise live with lead pipes and crystal glassware and just be a little closer to harmful amounts if exposed elsewhere in the environment.

Most adult lead poisoning is pants on head stupidity like lead acetate sweeteners, acid leaching from lead containing, plumbing, stoneware, or crystal, or burning lead in every internal combustion engine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FWIU current medical belief is that there is no truly 'harmless' dose of lead, just ones that are small enough to be hard to measure

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lead exposure from guns is also a thing, but it's not a huge concern for adults as long as you're properly washing up after shooting and not shooting indoors with no ventilation. You can also buy lead-free ammo, but it's expensive.

I read an article about a guy who got really bad lead poisoning from working at a poorly ventilated indoor shooting range and cleaning without proper PPE. He had some pretty gnarly memory and mood problems as a result.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With lead exposure from guns, it kind of depends on the nature of the exposure. If you're not careful with those, one can bioaccumulate a very large amount of lead in a very short time frame.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Lowtax was a victim of lead exposure, true.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Bongo Bill posted:

With lead exposure from guns, it kind of depends on the nature of the exposure. If you're not careful with those, one can bioaccumulate a very large amount of lead in a very short time frame.

*worst* type to be exposed to.

Range lead that's been sitting outside.

Some bacteria eat it but they go "ew what's this" and barf it back out as an organic molecule.

That's now water semi soluble and can absorb through the pores in your skin.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marcade posted:

Lowtax was a victim of lead exposure, true.

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yellow Cake is actually very dangerous, leading cause of Czech Neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tMvxV-GC4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tMvxV-GC4

Broad-stroke it for me, Latter Day Saints (LDS) have blocked it in my country.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cake is a bad yellow drug

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

shalafi4 posted:

After 40+ years of shooting I was concerned enough about it to ask for a lead test the last time I had bloodwork drawn, but it came back 1.2uG/dL. So I guess I can keep it up for a while. Hell, I might stop washing my hands.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Phanatic posted:

After 40+ years of shooting I was concerned enough about it to ask for a lead test the last time I had bloodwork drawn, but it came back 1.2uG/dL. So I guess I can keep it up for a while. Hell, I might stop washing my hands.

Oh you can go shooting a bunch and get exposed to relatively tiny amounts of it.

Although depending on which state you're in that's ~1/3 of the way to being classified as "elevated lead levels" and treatment is suggested. (and it's not just California)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As someone who is not a medical professional and clearly treats heavy metals with a non modern amount of respect, I prescribe you to take a week off shooting and drink a suitcase of beer instead.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zedprime posted:

As someone who is not a medical professional and clearly treats heavy metals with a non modern amount of respect, I prescribe you to take a week off shooting and drink a suitcase of beer instead.

what's he gonna do for the other six days?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
People that actually work in a range do have some concerns about long-term occupational exposure. One of the indoor ranges near me did a big lead remediation project a few years back and installed a bunch of ventilation to improve air quality.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I can only imagine improved ventilation at a range being shooting holes in the walls.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

I can only imagine improved ventilation at a range being shooting holes in the walls.

Big air handlers to suck up and filter the air. They work but they're expensive and maintenance hogs. You really need them to keep an indoor range clean though.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

venus de lmao posted:

I read an article about a guy who got really bad lead poisoning from working at a poorly ventilated indoor shooting range and cleaning without proper PPE. He had some pretty gnarly memory and mood problems as a result.

I read some speculation that it was the primers specifically since they use or at least used to use a lead based explosive similar to lead azide that generates a puff of nitrogen and lead vapor when it goes off.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It stimulates an area of the brain known as Shatner's Bassoon

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

coldpudding posted:

I read some speculation that it was the primers specifically since they use or at least used to use a lead based explosive similar to lead azide that generates a puff of nitrogen and lead vapor when it goes off.

Lead styphnate is a common one, yeah, and that's why indoor ranges have to have a good ventilation system. There's also the occupational exposure to a lot more lead residue than a typical shooter when you're cleaning a range, especially without proper PPE.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Spotted elsewhere: Cyclosophoroheneicosaose

https://www.are.na/block/5491592

Described as "Biblically accurate Santa Claus".

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Be not very afraid."

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Isn't this the active ingredient in Fabreeze?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah smells love to get trapped in that ring. I think it's related to febreeze but not that exact molecule.

Armacham has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Jul 11, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

drat, and I thought the spell to create a portal would be verbal, not alchemical. No wonder I couldn’t make it work :cry:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The chemical analogue to a yodel

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

"Be not very afraid."

Swap out the Oxygens for Nitrogen and I’ll be scared. Also make a great thread logo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’d be a nitrogen portal to the afterlife, for drat sure :getin:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

Yeah smells love to get trapped in that ring. I think it's related to febreeze but not that exact molecule.

I always figured the "locks odors away!" thing was just legally meaningless marketing schtick, didn't realize there were molecules that could actually do that.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
That's right, Fabreeze is cycloamylose.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So, genuine question from a non-chemist: what’s up with the little thing dangling off the top left?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 hours!)

It's a phosphate.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's a natural product, so there's not necessarily a purpose to it. It could be a leftover from the way it's synthesized, it could make it easier for an enzyme to interact with it, there are a lot of things it could do, or it could just not interfere with what the molecule is supposed to do so it doesn't end up mattering.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

mycomancy posted:

If the infinity gauntlet was made of cornstarch

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mycomancy posted:

so that's where the "cool s" came from

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Luneshot posted:

So, genuine question from a non-chemist: what’s up with the little thing dangling off the top left?

That is the "lock" that holds the ring together. Break it and the ring breaks. Helpful if your Santa summoning goes sideways.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

shalafi4 posted:

Some bacteria eat it but they go "ew what's this" and barf it back out as an organic molecule.

That's now water semi soluble and can absorb through the pores in your skin.

Site remediation for clays ranges is expensive. Shooting range lead cleanup to cost $780K. And that was for 2 acres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Luneshot posted:

that's where you feed mana into the summoning circle