Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Murgos posted:

Or telling you that if you don’t enlist you’re fired?

It is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It would be an awful ecological disaster, but hopefully more localized to the plant itself and the immediate surroundings.

But the plant would be rendered unusable forever, and that's an ecological disaster in itself. Ukraine has already lost 357MW of clean energy generation capacity when the Russians blew up the dam. Losing the plant would remove a massive 5700 MW of carbon-free energy generating capacity from the grid. Where would the replacement energy come from? In the short term likely coal and gas.

ZNPP produces 5.7 TWH by itself? I knew it was big, but drat

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
These guys must have complete confidence in their operational security

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1677576286598823936

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Syncopated posted:

It's 5x 1GW PWRs along with a 750MW PWR. It's one of the biggest nuclear plants in the world, there might be some bigger in China but ZNPP is definitely the biggest one in Europe.

So I don't think it's 5TWH lol, someone mixed up their zeroes. It's still enough power generation to provide no-carbon electricity to most of Ukraine. Losing the plant to Russia was a big blow to them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 8, 2023

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

GD_American posted:

These guys must have complete confidence in their operational security

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1677576286598823936

At this point security personnel's stress-related heart attacks must be a non-trivial concern for his personal protection detachment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia can't kill him for one reason or another

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

orange juche posted:

It's 5x 1GW PWRs along with a 750MW PWR. It's one of the biggest nuclear plants in the world, there might be some bigger in China but ZNPP is definitely the biggest one in Europe.

So I don't think it's 5TWH lol, someone mixed up their zeroes. It's still enough power generation to provide no-carbon electricity to most of Ukraine. Losing the plant to Russia was a big blow to them.

Everyone is being very loose with units here. 1GW * 1 year ~= 9 TWh.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Loezi posted:

At this point security personnel's stress-related heart attacks must be a non-trivial concern for his personal protection detachment.

Gotta admit he's drat good at the job of a wartime politician. I imagine they hate and love it at the same time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

orange juche posted:

5.75 GW * 0.85 capacity factor * 365 days = 42 TWh

E;FB: :downs:

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

bird food bathtub posted:

Gotta admit he's drat good at the job of a wartime politician. I imagine they hate and love it at the same time.

It's amazing to see how easily he's fit into this role, like I know he's an actor and all but I remember it being a huge joke when he was elected that Ukraine voted out Willy Wonka and voted in Adam Sandler.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It turns out that Ukraine's problem wasn't that they elected a comedian, but that there are too many joyless men obsessed with the image of their own virility in power around them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There were literally Russian kill teams skulking around Kyiv hunting him (especially early on), his PSD has to be one of the best out there at this point.

Fairly certain I remember a story about his security team being in a firefight with him uncomfortably close to the action, somewhere around the “I don’t want a ride, I need ammo” timeframe.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I wouldn't assume Russia's benefit/cost analysis on whacking him has remained the same for this entire time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

adebisi lives posted:

I wouldn't assume Russia's benefit/cost analysis on whacking him has remained the same for this entire time.

Does it count as assassination if Russia uses their one free nuke to take him out?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Any actual stats on Russia getting their defense industry spooled up to produce weapons, as opposed to just looting Soviet graveyards forever?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blistex posted:

Any actual stats on Russia getting their defense industry spooled up to produce weapons, as opposed to just looting Soviet graveyards forever?

They tried but discovered that all the people who knew what they were doing had been drafted or fled the country already

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Icon Of Sin posted:

There were literally Russian kill teams skulking around Kyiv hunting him (especially early on), his PSD has to be one of the best out there at this point.

Fairly certain I remember a story about his security team being in a firefight with him uncomfortably close to the action, somewhere around the “I don’t want a ride, I need ammo” timeframe.

Yeah, there was an article out there that said him and his staff, some of whom had never fired anything before, were picking up AKs and ready to rock and roll. Apparently that's how close they got.

Also I think the Russians went after his wife, but managed to balls that up too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Syncopated posted:

Its a massive plant, one of the largest in the region with six VVER-1000 reactors. Nameplate is 5700 MW. Each reactor produces about ~950 MW.

not caring here posted:

Yeah, there was an article out there that said him and his staff, some of whom had never fired anything before, were picking up AKs and ready to rock and roll. Apparently that's how close they got.

Also I think the Russians went after his wife, but managed to balls that up too.

Yeah it bears repeating that Russia tried hard to find and kill Zelensky and his family, loving pricks.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I don't think the Russians can kill him and expect to negotiate some sort of peace, but that is assuming they are rational actors (they aren't).

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

BaconAndBullets posted:

I don't think the Russians can kill him and expect to negotiate some sort of peace, but that is assuming they are rational actors (they aren't).

they've demonstrated their genocidal intent; step 2 after killing Zelensky is not peace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tiaz posted:

they've demonstrated their genocidal intent; step 2 after killing Zelensky is not peace.

I mean they assumed they were basically going to have to go full riot police on the population and had an actual list of people to arrest up front.

And at this point there is no doubt those people would've been disappeared.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I mean they assumed they were basically going to have to go full riot police on the population and had an actual list of people to arrest up front.

it was the soldiers travelling with their parade uniforms packed that clued me in on their perception of the situation. :psylon:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

it was the soldiers travelling with their parade uniforms packed that clued me in on their perception of the situation. :psylon:

That and the Riot Police they though would waltz into the city.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just Another Lurker posted:

That one babushka put paid to that. Still one of the hardest moments I've seen from anyone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BaconAndBullets posted:

The Russians won't be negotiating any kind of peace, because the kind of peace they want(all of Ukraine is theirs, Ukrainians disappear as an ethnic group) isn't going to happen unless Ukraine is completely occupied from one end to the other. Similarly, what Ukraine wants(their loving country back, reparations, war crimes tribunals) won't be agreed to by the Russians either.

Even if Ukraine retakes all of their internationally recognized territory, the Russians will never recognize it, they'll be shelling across the border and otherwise starting poo poo for decades to come.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that kind of stuff was well established, so people who are all 'oh just let Russia win a little bit, guys, there really isn't any other choice' blow my mind. It's like you want to award them partial credit and a limited space to purge, because why?

In some cases I imagine it's not so much an objection to the idea of purges as an idea of who they themselves would like to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chunky Monkey posted:

It's amazing to see how easily he's fit into this role, like I know he's an actor and all but I remember it being a huge joke when he was elected that Ukraine voted out Willy Wonka and voted in Adam Sandler.

I strongly suspect that it hasn’t been easy at all, and has utterly consumed him beyond the limits of most leaders.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
At this point if they did cap Zelensky, he'd pretty much be the most lionized dead world leader since....poo poo, when?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

GD_American posted:

At this point if they did cap Zelensky, he'd pretty much be the most lionized dead world leader since....poo poo, when?

Kennedy probably

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is Zelensky a commander-in-chief or is there a Prime Minster in Ukraine? I assume Zelensky has a lot of powers but I don't know the exact distribution.

He seems to have the horse sense to probably not do more than sanity check people who actually know what they are doing, at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably Mao.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

Is Zelensky a commander-in-chief or is there a Prime Minster in Ukraine? I assume Zelensky has a lot of powers but I don't know the exact distribution.

He seems to have the horse sense to probably not do more than sanity check people who actually know what they are doing, at least.

Being able to actually let go of the reins and let others manage themselves after you've set the ground rules is pretty much the rarest and also most important skill in any leader or manager.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Hire great people and get out of their way” is a terrible way to build an organization, IMO, but giving people agency and authority commensurate to their abilities, and (importantly) their alignment with the mission, is critical.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

there's a prime minister, technically there's some presidential involvement but effectively it's parliament coalition suggests a candidate and then they get appointed if they win a majority vote of the parliament

president is commander in chief, though Zelensky doesn't try to manage military tactics and just trusts his generals to do their job

quote:

https://time.com/6171277/volodymyr-zelensky-interview-ukraine-war/
Such outings were rare. Though he received frequent updates from his generals and gave them broad instructions, Zelensky did not pretend to be a tactical savant. His Defense Minister was seldom by his side. Nor were any of Ukraine’s top military commanders. “He lets them do the fighting,” says Arestovych, his adviser on military affairs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CommieGIR posted:

what's the hypothetical here, that's exactly what they did in areas they controlled. getting rid of everyone who might cause you problems down the road (plus a whole bunch of other people who represent the decadent homo west and other activists) is just russian sop for processing a captured area.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what's the hypothetical here, that's exactly what they did in areas they controlled. getting rid of everyone who might cause you problems down the road (plus a whole bunch of other people who represent the decadent homo west and other activists) is just russian sop for processing a captured area.
They didn't have the chance to get to the people in Kharkiv, Kyiv or Lviv - had they been able to lightning-rush and seize control of those areas, much worse situation. Instead I am sure many of the people on those lists were either never in direct threat or had the chance to evacuate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What the above poster said: They did that in areas they captured, but Kyiv, Lyiv, and others were not captured or ever fully controlled.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

Zelensky is head of foreign policy; there is also a PM appointed by parliament that's head of domestic policy (though since the parliament is held by the president's party, that's not that important right now).... and if the president is assassinated the succession line is... the speaker of the parliament, who becomes an acting(!) president which has certain limitations on their powers --- for example they might not be able to avoid high-ranking generals?

(See article 112: https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Ukraine,_2004#Chapter_V:_President_of_Ukraine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The interim president cannot appoint new military commamders, but is still their commander in chief. Seeing as how a special election is to be held quickly and a new president assumes the office 5 days after the announcement of the results, it's not necessarily a big problem