Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Remember when UYD put out their first t-shirt design, and Jonathan bragged about what a great deal he got, then it turned out the crewnecks on all the XXLs were really tiny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
No but I'd absolutely believe it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Boatswain posted:

I wonder what Jonathan's gaming tag is.

[NPTM]

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

xxxNAPTIME420xxx

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

GraPar posted:

This Vandon Tricamo story is so wild

That story reminded me of how for the longest time I used to enjoy going to the show notes and clicking links to everything they'd talked about during the episode. Then they started posting them more and more sparsely, and now they don't post them at all

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Feels like switching to dedicated theme music and losing the show notes go hand-in-hand. Streamlines the production process and helps them more or less stick to a consistent release schedule, but loses some of the character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JethroMcB posted:

Feels like switching to dedicated theme music and losing the show notes go hand-in-hand. Streamlines the production process and helps them more or less stick to a consistent release schedule, but loses some of the character.

Yeah it's just a little sad to see. A few podcasts I followed did the same thing and it's always a sad reminder of how something that started as a hobbyist thing with these personal touches became this bland corporate 'content' machine.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

[NPTSM]

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

It’s probably just less confusing to new listeners to hear a short theme song. I don’t think the episodes are ever being held up by Jonathan running out of music, they’re being held of by Jonathan being Jonathan

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I got someone to try listening to UYD and he started with one where it was just a full song at the start, he gave up on it until I told him to skip ahead a bit.

I miss when the music would play in the background for a while under the pod.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah it's just a little sad to see. A few podcasts I followed did the same thing and it's always a sad reminder of how something that started as a hobbyist thing with these personal touches became this bland corporate 'content' machine.
I feel like UYD is absolutely still a personal hobbyist thing — nearly 1000 episodes in and there’s still episodes with microphones loving up partway through, and you can still leave a voicemail (and have Seth call you back!). I’ve never tried to buy merch (I only really like the Penrose triangle logo) but I assume it’s still a crapshoot on if you’ll get stuff the same year you order it?

UYD being doggedly low-budget and indie even after 16 years is part of its lasting charm.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TACD posted:

I feel like UYD is absolutely still a personal hobbyist thing — nearly 1000 episodes in and there’s still episodes with microphones loving up partway through, and you can still leave a voicemail (and have Seth call you back!). I’ve never tried to buy merch (I only really like the Penrose triangle logo) but I assume it’s still a crapshoot on if you’ll get stuff the same year you order it?

UYD being doggedly low-budget and indie even after 16 years is part of its lasting charm.

Oh to be fair I don't mean UYD. I think they're a good model on how you can do it without having to immediately join a network and start doing ad reads for the same 10 companies everyone else is.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Extremely UYD headline

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Greek, eh?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"We were just playing."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
His dog is named Off Steam?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I got someone to try listening to UYD and he started with one where it was just a full song at the start, he gave up on it until I told him to skip ahead a bit.

I miss when the music would play in the background for a while under the pod.

I remember being really confused by the first few eps that I listened to, until I understood that the intro and outro music were supposed to change each time.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

JethroMcB posted:

"We were just playing."

He asked me to show him how to party right!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The first episode I listened to played out almost an entire Jerry Garcia Band cut from the '73 run so I was immediately hooked before they started talking. I was also fresh into recovery, so imagine my surprise

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Terry Berry was a Chatty Cathy.

DMST
Jul 11, 2006
Our Man in Havana.
I watch all the new episodes on Patreon which never had intro/outro songs so I didn't realize they stopped. I always liked 80% of Jah's music choices and have found out about a lot of cool music. The music always felt intragal to the style of the podcast and sometimes felt like it fit the theme of the episode.

At least the archive is still a thing. I put it on a lot. The songs will remind me of my life when I first listened to that episode like another poster said.

I have drunk called the voice-mail a few times and Seth called me back once and he graciously endured my awkward conversation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just curious, when Seth calls people back, is it a case where people leave a message and ask for him to call back, or does he just look at the caller ID and casually drop a line on them?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

General Dog posted:

Just curious, when Seth calls people back, is it a case where people leave a message and ask for him to call back, or does he just look at the caller ID and casually drop a line on them?

As a known Seth chatter, I had an issue with merch being sent out(I was hoping it would be sent the year I ordered it, I was foolish) and he called back and apologized and we chatted about being Massholes.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

General Dog posted:

If you leave your number and sound like you want him to call you back, he usually will. (Casually chatted with Seth once years ago, he was very nice)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm too lazy to go back and find it, so which recent episode had a bit about the % of non-white players in the current MLB season?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

GraPar posted:

Extremely UYD headline

I saw this and thought of seth.

https://i.imgur.com/8nMIpbH.mp4

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Jippa posted:

I saw this and thought of seth.

https://i.imgur.com/8nMIpbH.mp4

Where's this from?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Blind Seth in 985 is so funny

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

If anyone took a break from listening, coming from a Hater as of late I can confirm that the last ~6 episodes are legit. It seemed like Jonathan was going through some things for a while so it's nice to hear him/them back in old form and good vibes.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I miss when they used to read song lyrics on the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg464ajYISs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I miss when they used to read song lyrics on the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg464ajYISs

gently caress, I was thinking about this clip literally yesterday.

E: Jah is right, "she comes from Georgia where the peaches grow / they drink lemonade and speak real slow" is a great line.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 10, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's because of that clip that I immediately think "I'm always in a rush/Did you know it's...President Buuuuuush?..." when the topic of LFO comes up.

"'Like the Color Purple'...the movie, or the book?"
"I think he just likes the color, purple."

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
These are my Sketchers pickle ball sneakers.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
987: image of Seth turning up somewhere an hour early and using a flashlight to read his newspaper is so funny

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Stopping the show in its tracks after the pickle ball reveal, both realising they’re old.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Started the Ubisoft Client and there's a banner for their upcoming Avatar game and it says "Become Na'vi" and in my head I hear Seth's voice saying "Help me I'm Na'vi". That must have been something from around the first movie. I wish the wiki still existed. I think they read some fansite posts at some point?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Help me, I'm Na'vi" is from episode 234 when they're talking about the upcoming extended cut of Avatar hitting theaters. Avatar forum post discussion is in 203. "Jake and Neytiri: Who will be an authority in this relationship?"

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks. Is the wiki still around somewhere or how did you do that?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
You can use Archive.org's Wayback Machine to pull up old captures of Weck's Wiki, and I had also gone digging for old segments about Avatar (specifically the "Help me, I'm Na'vi" line) just a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
What's the story with that anyway? I've never been plugged in to a UYD community to hear what happened.