Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

carrionman posted:

Oh, it was great. Originally I was going to run it via a rental agency, harcourts I think, because it was only for a year and I couldn't be assed to actually manage it myself.
The people in those agencies, now there's some loving psychopaths. The profiling that went on there would make a phrenologist proud, made my goddamn skin crawl

They are absolute scum, more so even than actual landlords which is a high standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're parasites to the parasites who take on the really dehumanizing part of landlording so johnny boomer doesn't have to, worst people

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I prefer having a property manager to a private landlord*. Private landlords are super inconsistent. Some are actually decent enough and care about the property, aren't out to squeeze you for every last cent, do feel guilt if poo poo breaks or the house is substandard etc. But for every one of those there are like 20 who knowingly push the boundaries or straight up break the law, unknowingly break a bunch of other laws, try to fix poo poo themselves or take weeks to get basic stuff fixed, etc. And the bad ones are often ignorant enough to think they'll win in the tenancy tribunal even when there's well established precedent in your favour.

At least with a property manager they're authorised to fix small poo poo (usually up to $500) without even asking the landlord, have a bunch of tradies and handymen on file, know the law and do the bare minimum but also don't waste your time by arguing when you point out where something is not meeting the bare minimum. Most also audit the properties they manage to check that they meet healthy homes standards.

*not Quinovic, none of this applies to Quinovic.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
easier to regulate big landlords than mum and dad psychos

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
you mean honest kiwi psycho battlers

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Every private landlord I've had has been complete dogshit through ignorance more than anything else. We wound up taking one to the tenancy tribunal over insulation, where they tried to argue that the door-to-door salesmen that convinced them to buy an HVAC unit said it "was as good as insulation."

It's looking like we're going to have to do the same with our current landlord, they just dropped off a portable heater and think they've done enough by the healthy home standards.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
"I've been out doing these tours because you actually get a chance to bypass media and actually talk straight to people, and it's really awesome,” Luxon said to cafe owner Cam, while surrounded by reporters and cameras the National Party invited.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

"I've been out doing these tours because you actually get a chance to bypass media and actually talk straight to people, and it's really awesome,” Luxon said to cafe owner Cam, while surrounded by reporters and cameras the National Party invited.

Only talking to pre vetted small business owners who will complain about labour taxing them

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

He's coming to Te Atatū Peninsula - if he can manage to read the sign for the offramp

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
He is? When, I could do with a laugh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ask him if all the king's horses and all the king's men could put him together again

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

luxon posted:

bypass media and actually talk straight to people

fake news nz style

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

BuckyDoneGun posted:

He is? When, I could do with a laugh.

6:30 tonight at the Te Pai centre

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Oh right, I'd seen that advertised, just didn't make the connection due to, y'know, Te Pai not being in Tat Pen :razzy:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Anyone else at that Green Party event this evening? It was a decent time. I ducked out before the magnificent Abby Howells which was a bummer but there were some great talents that I hadn't had a chance to see before.

Paid Swarbrick to see some comedy, so that's my political activism for the year done.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Anyone else at that Green Party event this evening? It was a decent time. I ducked out before the magnificent Abby Howells which was a bummer but there were some great talents that I hadn't had a chance to see before.

Paid Swarbrick to see some comedy, so that's my political activism for the year done.

I was at the early show because I'm a wee babby and also Cori Gonzalez-Macuer is a creep. Very good though, Tim Batt did a reference to Abe Simpson wearing an onion on his hip and another guy did a whole set based on cum so it was goon appropriate.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

I was at the early show because I'm a wee babby and also Cori Gonzalez-Macuer is a creep. Very good though, Tim Batt did a reference to Abe Simpson wearing an onion on his hip and another guy did a whole set based on cum so it was goon appropriate.

Yeah ngl Cori's act was a real show killer in the second half. Yeesh.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

stuff asking the hard questions

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

stuff asking the hard questions

Things suck out there, value for money on fast food is important for a lot of people.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you’re at the point where you need to analyse the value of upsizing your fries there are much more economical takeaway options than bk

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

If you’re at the point where you need to analyse the value of upsizing your fries there are much more economical takeaway options than bk

Seriously, there's fish & chips shops everywhere that'll give you a sack of greasy fried potato for the same price as one tiny BK cup

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ACT trying to get 17-year-olds classed as adults quelle surprise.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They love the cops

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
reading the greens' manifesto, which is disappointingly non-specific in most areas:

exmarx posted:

they've brought back the ministry of works btw

https://www.raupaenga.co.nz/

many people saying this!!!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2023/07/...ntity-politics/
Lol so many words

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ratios and Tendency posted:

ACT trying to get 17-year-olds classed as adults quelle surprise.

Will they let these 17yo adults vote? No? Huh.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
And can't you already get tried as an adult if you commit a serious offence?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Lol who the gently caress are "the middle class woke identity politics activists"?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

klen dool posted:

Lol who the gently caress are "the middle class woke identity politics activists"?

*gestures at this thread*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

Those people

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i grew up in a woke family but all we really did was celebrate the woke holidays, we were just culturally woke. got some great woke recipes from my grandma

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm tempted to paraphrase dril and encourage people to keep talking about crazed woke psychos because it has been so thoroughly proven to be an election loser in the US. but maybe NZ is stupider in this way? i dunno

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Holy poo poo that dickhead is talking about me I think. Or at least, I think he would look at me and my situation and politics and think that.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/300917307/opera-star-simon-oneill-sorry-for-unfiltered-criticism-of-mori-arts-funding

quote:

Grammy-winning opera singer Simon O’Neill has apologised for criticising funding of Māori studies and arts, which he called “some sort of post-stone age fake construct”.

The Post reported his comments on Thursday, after being leaked emails he sent to academics and arts figures in response to restructure proposals at Victoria University of Wellington. In those emails, he labelled Arts Minister Carmel Sepuloni “ignorant” and accused her of being part of a “racist agenda" against European arts and academic faculties.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/sir-j...RKBRVLQ5MCC5AY/

quote:

Those who submitted their thoughts included Grammy-winning opera star Simon O’Neill, who said: “I write this letter in full support of Sir James Wallace. Sir James has been a friend of mine for over 20 years and is a gentleman of honest character.

“Sir James, alone, is the Prince Esterhazy of the New Zealand classical performing arts scene. Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven were all very lucky to have such a generous patron.

“I would be grateful if you would consider the decades of incredible generosity and friendship and support that Sir James has offered New Zealand artists, me in particular.”

O’Neill, appointed an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM), told the Herald from Madrid: “I must immediately express my sympathy for the victims of the crimes for which James Wallace has been convicted. They have acted with courage to report these criminal acts and to pursue the long court process through to completion.”

He said Wallace asked him to provide a letter for use during his sentencing on charges “which his request did not reveal”.

lmao

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Was it Twitter that melted this mans brains across the pavement, or did it just speed the process along?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Racist against European arts and academics? In NEW ZEALAND A PACIFIC NATION? Jesus loving Christ

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Was it Twitter that melted this mans brains across the pavement, or did it just speed the process along?

Specifically a beef circa 2012 between him and Nicole Skews set him down this path I think. That was when a bunch of NZ feminist bloggers turned against him and he developed this persecution complex. I forget the details of it but it had to do with him consistently sidelining the work and views of Nicole and other women who were contributing to TDB at the time.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Wasn't part of that from one of the other TDB writers also being a bit of a sexpest?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I think O'Neill is originally from Timaru, makes much more sense in this context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ata mārie tātou

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)