Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sounds like an awful lot more dev effort compared to just letting it be a mediocre 6-person raid, yeah?

There are raids with fewer encounters and smaller geographical spaces, and plenty of other raids can be completed in sub-20 minutes. I don't know why anyone would want a massive rework with the reward being a smaller activity for fewer people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Make Crota's End a dungeon" is up there with "disable power ammo in Gambit" as one of those ideas that I think people just kinda say but sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. It's just a little bit short on traversal, I dunno why in a world where we tolerate stuff like Eater of Worlds and Root of Nightmares and stuff like Scourge of the Past and Crown of Sorrow are generally remembered pretty fondly, that Crota's End is still somehow the whipping boy of every raid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MJeff posted:

"Make Crota's End a dungeon" is up there with "disable power ammo in Gambit" as one of those ideas that I think people just kinda say but sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

Wisdom.

To me it always brought back the D2Y1 chorus of 'they ought to bring back Bounties!' where people said it because they heard it but it wasn't actually any kind of a good idea.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah and then in year 3, Bungie made bounties the main way of gaining power, so the best way to efficiently grind was to fill up on repeatable moon bounties. That was rough. The whole artifact grind thing still isn't perfect, but I'm very thankful Seasonal Challenges replaced that particular iteration of the system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do we tolerate Root of Nightmares? I remember it had a decently sized backlash for being unchallenging, which was lost against the backdrop of the much larger outrage at Lightfall as a whole

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Root of Nightmares is good, it's just not hard. That is okay.

Honestly All Raids Are Beautiful, some just still their beauty sleep and to get refreshed. Same with some dungeons. Last Wish rightfully shows that.

Also on seasons, I also really wish we had three four-month seasons a year, but that is never going to happen. People lose their poo poo by week six of a season, screaming "NO CONTENT" could you fucken imagine another *month*? This is something I directly blame the consumers for tbh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Here's my killshot on the idea of Crota as a Dungeon

Imagine paying $10 for Crota vs getting it for free as a reprised raid

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

None of the craftable guns seem all that appealing to me this season, not that I've really touched crafting at all (checked out after beating the Witch Queen campaign).

I notice Xur is selling a neato non-exotic trace rifle from season of the seraph and apparently it's craftable?

If I buy 5 of this gun and use my 5 deepsite harmonizers, will that work to give me the pattern?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Snuffman posted:

None of the craftable guns seem all that appealing to me this season, not that I've really touched crafting at all (checked out after beating the Witch Queen campaign).

I notice Xur is selling a neato non-exotic trace rifle from season of the seraph and apparently it's craftable?

If I buy 5 of this gun and use my 5 deepsite harmonizers, will that work to give me the pattern?

It sure will! And all the craftable trace rifles are fun and good, so it's a good thing. Hollow Denial for Void, Path of Least Resistance for Arc and Retraced Path (from Dares, actively available, go get it!) for Solar, plus the Raid Trace is Solar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxfunction posted:

Also on seasons, I also really wish we had three four-month seasons a year, but that is never going to happen. People lose their poo poo by week six of a season, screaming "NO CONTENT" could you fucken imagine another *month*? This is something I directly blame the consumers for tbh.

Implicit in the four-month season idea is that they’d also be 25% more substantial, but I agree that it wouldn’t work out like that

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snuffman posted:

Yes and Path of Least Resistance is a good candidate to use your Harmonizers on.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

Implicit in the four-month season idea is that they’d also be 25% more substantial, but I agree that it wouldn’t work out like that

For the record when I say this that’s not what I mean. I want three, four-month seasons with the exact same amount of content*. I want more breathing room before content and I want more time to complete seasonal goals.

*I am forced to reconsider this, however, now that we seem to have cut seasonal stories down from eight weeks long to five.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Jordan_Mallory/status/1277483756245442566

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I mean, Bungie is not above reworking encounters or completely changing them. Portals in VoG is nothing like it was in D1.

Crota's End only had one real Raid encounter (bridges), but the other encounters wouldn't be all that hard to touch up beyond the AOT version to make them raid-y. Add some plates to thrallway, add a cyclic damage mechanic to Deathsingers, and add one more mechanic to AOT Crota (colored swords maybe? If Crota has a blue shield, get the blue sword) and you basically have a raid that's better than Root.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think you fix Thrallway by just putting an absolutely loving ridiculous amount of enemies in. Make it the most enemy dense thing in the entire game.

And sure, add some plates to it. Make it like a game of Reckoning inside a raid except you're not getting bounced off the cock-sucking bridge every 5 seconds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bungie has also literally said that if Crota were to come back to D2 winky blinky it would be reworked.

There's a zero percent chance that they'd bring back the Dark Below version, lop 3 people off the max allowed fireteam, and call it a day

It'll get a slightly more involved retooling than VoG got (no more skipping bridge! Requiring 3 people to do mechanics instead of 1!), people will forget that AoT Crota pretty much solved most of the problems already, and paul tassi will write an article that he's disgusted they bothered to Bring Crota Back (and not even as a dungeon!)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

syntaxfunction posted:

Honestly All Raids Are Beautiful, some just still their beauty sleep and to get refreshed. Same with some dungeons. Last Wish rightfully shows that.

At the end of the day, I agree with this. I don't think there's a single bad Raid in the franchise's history, although obviously something like VoG existed in its time and needed mechanical refreshes to stay relevant.

Eater of Worlds rides the line because it's just kind of not a raid for the first half of it, but it has a really fun final encounter. Root of Nightmares has too much walking and not enough stuff for everybody to do, but it has some fun challenges and triumphs, I had a lot of fun with my clan doing the second encounter trying to get the challenge and the encounter triumph at the same time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RoN is pretty fun if you're a mechanics doer, and there's plenty of groups where people are happy to not be mechanics doers.

But once in awhile you get groups where like 3 people want to run on encounter 1.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I kinda wish some version of Crossfire was baked into encounter 2, because then you'd have 2 runners, 2 launchers, 2 ad clear.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I really would like to know who in their right mind wants the loving Crota raid back.
Just go play some loving Dares if you want to fight that idiot again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, but a bunch of leaks are all pointing to it so I'm ready to be disappointed about not getting Wrath.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I really would like to know who in their right mind wants the loving Crota raid back.

No one, no one wants it back, I personally want wrath of the machine and I think most people if polled would be asking for wrath or just "a good raid" if they never played D1

Lightfall campaign was disappointing and while I like Root of Nightmares it's total lack of difficulty was also disappointing so it will be entirely unsurprising to me if the next raid is Crota to complete a trifecta of disappointment in the :effort: expansion

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I want every raid back, because as said, All Raids Are Beautiful. I'm not too fussed about the order. If I were, then yes, I would prefer Wrath back sooner rather than later.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
OK let's be real here, spire of stars sucked balls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played spire exactly once but I do remember a lot of balls involved

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I liked Spire, because it was a hard raid that a lot of people bounced off of :)

But it was very buggy. Val Ca'our just didn't show up one time I ran it, it was very funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The doors being buggy was annoying but when it worked, Spire loving ruled. Val Ca'our is such a fun boss.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

OK let's be real here, spire of stars sucked balls

I was retired from D2 whenever that came out, but I've heard nothing but disdain for it.
How hosed up/bad was/is it?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I was retired from D2 whenever that came out, but I've heard nothing but disdain for it.

It had a long path to DPS with a lot of steps, ads were pressuring you basically the entire time, if you hosed up a single step more than once you wiped and the final stand was actually challenging and could actually wipe you if you weren't ready for it. It was very difficult, especially in a double primary meta and it ruled.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The core mechanic of Spire of Stars is to Throw a Ball at a Thing, sometimes the Thing is another guardian, sometimes the Thing is a spaceship in a virtual space you get launched into (the aesthetic of Spire of Stars top-tier, gameplay aside).

SoS was hard because the time limits for mechanics were tight, raid responsibilities were randomized so you could not reliably assign tasks to people, and the combat was very challenging for it's sandbox. SoS was bad because Throw Ball At Thing ultimately was the only thing that mattered for the final encounter and was subject to the tender mercies of D2's physics engine.

I failed more nights in SoS than I cleared because sometimes the Ball would just not hit the thing you're throwing it at despite you, the player, holding the ball, essentially just have to point your crosshair at a ship and hit the mouse button. The game would send the ball off to loving Narnia and your group wipes.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Meiteron posted:

No one, no one wants it back, I personally want wrath of the machine and I think most people if polled would be asking for wrath or just "a good raid" if they never played D1

If Wrath of the Machine was the one with the "shoot some TVs then run like hell for a corner room before being incinerated" bit, then yeah I want that one back.

Also my GOAT season is Splicer, I will rock that title until the D2 servers go offline for good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wrath had the TV shooting encounter, the giant war machine encounter, the evil torso encounter, and the spider rodeo encounter

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I want Wrath most of all. Wrath is still one of the best raids Bungie has ever made (Tied with Last Wish in my mind), and hands down had the coolest set pieces in any raid.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

haveblue posted:

Wrath had the TV shooting encounter, the giant war machine encounter, the evil torso encounter, and the spider rodeo encounter

Oh yeah I'm starting to remember more of it, back in the dusty collection of my memories.

It was the only D1 raid that I did so it's got a special place in my heart

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It was more mechanically complicated than Legit Riven, and extremely buggy. It was _very_ good when you had a team that knew what they were doing but they really did dial the mechanics up to 11 for the Val Ca'our fight.

Personally, I think a lot of the disdain for it was a bit of a skill issue, as it was not a raid that people could just turn their brain off and shoot adds in. You had to play well not to die and not to gently caress up stuff. The bugs were also frustrating, but I think even if you fixed those bugs the skill issue with many players would remain.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Meiteron posted:

The core mechanic of Spire of Stars is to Throw a Ball at a Thing, sometimes the Thing is another guardian, sometimes the Thing is a spaceship in a virtual space you get launched into (the aesthetic of Spire of Stars top-tier, gameplay aside).

SoS was hard because the time limits for mechanics were tight, raid responsibilities were randomized so you could not reliably assign tasks to people, and the combat was very challenging for it's sandbox. SoS was bad because Throw Ball At Thing ultimately was the only thing that mattered for the final encounter and was subject to the tender mercies of D2's physics engine.

I failed more nights in SoS than I cleared because sometimes the Ball would just not hit the thing you're throwing it at despite you, the player, holding the ball, essentially just have to point your crosshair at a ship and hit the mouse button. The game would send the ball off to loving Narnia and your group wipes.

Lmao that owns.
KF is my #1 favorite raid, followed by Wrath.
Wrath was just us basically swatting some nerd in his basement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate that val ca’our makes a cameo as a sidekick boss in salvage

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

It occurs to me that it's positively Illegal to talk about Spire in general and Val Ca'our specifically without highlighting the incredibly good boss theme he gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US64BWvy0kY

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Once I heard the leak that Wrath wasn't happening because Bungie couldn't make it work in D2's engine I saved myself on disappointment from there out. I still think bringing back Crota is a worse option than literally any of the DCV'd D2 raids but, what are you gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I do

It was fun

I also want more of D1 back in general, like my bone and sinew guns