Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wish the season was sooner...Dying to play but don't see the point in loving around with my guys so close to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wish the season was sooner...Dying to play but don't see the point in loving around with my guys so close to it...

Game is fun to play bro. It doesn’t have to always be about progression. Get high listen to some tunes and smash demons in a helltide.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ravus Ursus posted:

My monk didn't have a beard.

She did have ruskie dommy mommy energy tho.

Tremendous oversight on my part she was the superior monk come to think of it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
doubling down and then just letting it go is honourable posting imo

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is the Diablo 4 thread, we’re all doubling down on something

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Ice Fist posted:

This is the Diablo 4 thread, we’re all doubling down on something

This post is brought to you by KFC.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

El Scandelouse posted:

Pretty much Rob’s HOTA build but with an offensive/cdr amulet and rings. 816+25 2H. Pretty much perfect affixes across items but I’ve still got a lot of 750-775 ilevel armor. I’m wondering if having iron skin granting unstoppable is worth giving up my 80% temerity.

if someone hasn’t said already, temerity falls off pretty hard compared to a well rolled 4 def stat pair of legs. iirc my rare pants are responsible for more than 50% of my DR. i’d try that change first to see if it helps level things out before doing any other kinda changes

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 9, 2023

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
My 2 cents on CC is that I was very confused when the dodge button can prevent it but doesn't break it. Let us dodge out of being feared or rooted in webs or whatever. If not then maybe some other ability that has baked in Unstoppable but a very long cooldown. Let us summon our mount and grab on to get dragged out of crap, it would be a cool animation and another reason for people to buy horses and horse armor dlc.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you've got all the altars and map then yeah. Great time to catch up on other games so you don't have to worry about them for a month after season starts, though!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The CC can be annoying, but it's the explode-on-death poo poo that really needs to go.

i don’t like that there are so many types where it just becomes a ‘circle back in 5s to check for loot’ kings thing, but it were like affix only it might be less bad both so you could burn those keys if you don’t like them or it would be a bit more surprising/novel in general

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

harrygomm posted:

if someone hasn’t said always, temerity falls off pretty hard compared to a wellwell rolled 4 def stat pair of legs. iirc my rare pants are responsible for more than 50% of my DR. i’d try that change first to see if it helps level things out before doing any other kinda changes

Yeah I’ve been rolling with 4 def pants for a while now. Was just wondering if temerity might help but you’re right I’ve got a ton of DR and armor from my pants.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dodge seems like kind of a weird mechanic right now and I wonder if allowing it to get CC-break functionality through itemization or aspects or whatever would both improve it and let people make more interesting builds

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

GreatGreen posted:

lol. I said I gave up after it was made clear that my opinion isn’t agreed with at all here. No use beating a dead horse.

Don't let it get you down. You aren't alone - Raxxanterax is constantly saying that chain-CC is the worst thing in the game. I've heard other top-end players complain about it, too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

My only real issue with dodge is that extra charges being something that rolls on your gear sucks. None of the other things that can roll in that slot are anywhere near as good as having 4 dodges, and unlike move speed, you can't roll it onto boots that don't have it. Feels like an unnecessarily brutal layer of rng.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dodge seems like kind of a weird mechanic right now and I wonder if allowing it to get CC-break functionality through itemization or aspects or whatever would both improve it and let people make more interesting builds

it would lead to more people skipping cc immunity to instead rely on dodge, which of course won't work and then we'll get even more yelling about unfair cc

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tiny Timbs posted:

going from perma unstoppable on barb to one ability that grants 0.5 seconds of unstoppable on rogue has really made me appreciate how easy barbs have access

conversely having instant always on aoe vuln on my rogue compared to a 3 second window and then praying for procs on barb more than makes up for it. i just have to dodge better to not need to use ss as much

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Don't let it get you down. You aren't alone - Raxxanterax is constantly saying that chain-CC is the worst thing in the game. I've heard other top-end players complain about it, too.

I think if you're a barb main like he is then it feels extra bad going to the classes with much less unstoppable uptime

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Give us additional dodge charges instead of max obols for renown grinding. That way we can stack charges with the "attacks reduce dodge cooldown" and never stop moving, wouldn't that be fun.

Let me roleplay a megaman robot master who deals contact damage by piling on dodge effects and a "pass through enemies" skill.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't wait to try classes other than Necro once the season comes out so I can actually understand what other people are experiencing lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah dodge charges feels so much better than anything else it's not even funny. I'm gonna get Unique: Best Boots in the Game and bin them because Not 3-4 Charges.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Doomykins posted:

Yeah dodge charges feels so much better than anything else it's not even funny. I'm gonna get Unique: Best Boots in the Game and bin them because Not 3-4 Charges.

Dude poison dodge with 4 dodge charges in NM dungeons feels like cheating.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can't wait to try classes other than Necro once the season comes out so I can actually understand what other people are experiencing lol

My main is necro and I've had fun playing all the other classes. Druid didn't really click with me but it was still enjoyable to try out. When I went back to necro I immediately started building towards infinimist though because I really enjoyed having shorter cooldown CC breaks

I'm genuinely torn on what to play first during season 1 but also trying not to waste too much energy thinking about it because there's a big balance patch coming two days before it starts

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kaxman posted:

You're not even level capped and you're talking about the build I'm currently trying to kill Lilith with. You have half of your paragon points. Ice shards is amazing burst, period.

Yes, I have raiment, yes I have all my paragon points, I've played both builds extensively at 100. They're both good in different ways. Ice shards is much, much faster at blowing through a 50ish NM dungeon than blizzard. Both builds can complete Lilith and ice shards can clear a level 100 NM dungeon. Haven't actually seen anyone try a 100 with blizzard.

The real problem with blizzard is getting the aspect since it has to be from a high ilvl item and roll well. I've seen 2 decent ones, ever.

I'm at 100 now man can you not understand past tense

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hulk Krogan posted:

My only real issue with dodge is that extra charges being something that rolls on your gear sucks. None of the other things that can roll in that slot are anywhere near as good as having 4 dodges, and unlike move speed, you can't roll it onto boots that don't have it. Feels like an unnecessarily brutal layer of rng.

Yeah, getting boots with multiple evades and like, 3 out of 4 good affixes so you can roll a 4th good one is brutal.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is me but druid. By the time I get to 5/5 classes the game will be unrecognizable lol.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Game is fun other than the rubber banding lag and disconnects I get every other night those suck

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
barb and rogue have both been different flavors of fun

i’m thinking i’ll do necro for bone spear or druid for frenzy. i hope sorc gets some changes in the pre patch, i’d like to have a chain lightning build be viable at 76+. or maybe it is and i just haven’t looked hard enough?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Pellisworth posted:

Game is fun other than the rubber banding lag and disconnects I get every other night those suck

it’s been said a lot but try turning off cross play if you haven’t already. both my xbox and partner on pc have seen a lot less of it since doing so

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hulk Krogan posted:

I like my 75% move speed after dodging, it feels good to have a movement ability I can use in towns. For Twisting Blades Rogue though I wish I had extra dodges, the whole game plan is to stick 'em with Twisting Blades and then dodge out so it passes through as many enemies as possible. Having more dodges would really help. But I haven't found better boots in almost 20 levels, so yeah I agree on the layer of RNG.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Tarnop posted:

I think if you're a barb main like he is then it feels extra bad going to the classes with much less unstoppable uptime

going from barb to sorc, I get stunned even less by simply not being in melee range of the stun mans

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

harrygomm posted:

it’s been said a lot but try turning off cross play if you haven’t already. both my xbox and partner on pc have seen a lot less of it since doing so

That might help a little but it still does it quite a bit. Disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and you lose your progress or rubber banding around the outdoors and you suddenly die or w/e

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

You know. I am an old that has never played a seasonal game.

But I took a liking to Vampire Survivors and that’s kinda what drew me back to gaming somewhat recently.

Initially I was like “gently caress trashing this character “ but after some pondering it’s basically “big vampire survivors” not quite I know and I’ve come around.

Hope I’m not wrong but the worst case is I got more playtime than anything else of late and I can always come back when the itch strikes

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Pellisworth posted:

That might help a little but it still does it quite a bit. Disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and you lose your progress or rubber banding around the outdoors and you suddenly die or w/e

yeah that’sa bummer. i had an issue i took to their support forums and found all you can do now is open a thread. no customer support, no response or acknowledgement. just open s thread, hope someone sees it and fixes it and tells you, i guess

speaking of, when i get on my horse in zarbinzet in hawezar and then ride out of the east gate, i never get the ability to sprint on my horse unless i dismount and remount. is that just me or do other people have that issue? only city, and only exit in that city, where that happens to me

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Busy Bee posted:

I'm a mid level 60 Druid Pulverize build and not sure how to proceed. I feel like I'm stuck and thinking about changing to a different build. I'm currently in Tier 4 and doing Helltides and Nightmare Dungeons but any items that I get is not relevant to my build. Any ideas on how to get a fresh start with a new Druid build and what route I should follow?

I took my Crone's staff and the Symbiosis enchant (put it on my ammy since my CDR is rear end) and I spam Trample with Landslide stuff. Get attack speed and go ham. Nature's Fury is super fun and you get to be a werewolf/bear/man. If that sounds fun, I'll write out more on what I'm doing with it. Maybe you'll see something I don't!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Walked posted:

You know. I am an old that has never played a seasonal game.

But I took a liking to Vampire Survivors and that’s kinda what drew me back to gaming somewhat recently.

Initially I was like “gently caress trashing this character “ but after some pondering it’s basically “big vampire survivors” not quite I know and I’ve come around.

Hope I’m not wrong but the worst case is I got more playtime than anything else of late and I can always come back when the itch strikes

there's nothing stopping you from ignoring seasons entirely if you don't care about a dumb cosmetic battle pass. it's basically an offline game despite being "always online with mmo world mechanics" due to the account bound trade restrictions. whenever I have the itch to play a seasonal live service game but not the time to play out a season, I just hop on a legacy character and gently caress about until I'm bored.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Swilo posted:

My 2 cents on CC is that I was very confused when the dodge button can prevent it but doesn't break it. Let us dodge out of being feared or rooted in webs or whatever. If not then maybe some other ability that has baked in Unstoppable but a very long cooldown. Let us summon our mount and grab on to get dragged out of crap, it would be a cool animation and another reason for people to buy horses and horse armor dlc.

Ok fine I'll beat the dead horse one more time, hah. This post I agree with. Maybe I should change, or at least further develop, my opinion here, and then I'll drop it. It's not that anything that removes your ability to totally freely control your character in every game is always always always 100% unacceptable, it's that I feel the way Diablo 4 enemies do it feels terrible because it isn't implemented in a way players can positively engage with. Somebody called out Sub Zero freezing as to how I was wrong and to me that's a good example of control being taken away in a way that feels fine, or at least agreeable. Being frozen in MK is a clear punishment for a mistake. You don't take damage for it though, it's just a pause so Sub Zero can set himself up for a free extra hit. Getting frozen in MK makes you think "dammit, I screwed up." In WoW you can get dazed, sure, but it mostly only happens when you run away from a losing fight you're under leveled for, and even then you can still at least cast spells and try to defend yourself. With most games that snare or disable the player in some way, there's at least something you could have done beforehand to stop it, or during to negate it.

In Diablo 4 though, getting frozen or feared or whatever else feels entirely different. It's "enemies zerg the player, one of them casts an unavoidable or un-dodgeable daze / freeze / fear spell, or multiple enemies cast spells that individually can be dodged, but even if you dodge one, another is sure to hit because your dodge is now on cooldown, and bam, you're not longer able to play the game. So there's nothing you could have done to avoid it and nothing you can currently do to escape it while you just sit there and watch your lifebar slowly drain. Getting frozen in Diablo 4 makes you think "dammit, the game is screwing me over." Diablo 4's implementation of this kind of mechanic feels uniquely horrible because the whole thing feels entirely out of the player's control from beginning to end. As Diablo 4 is currently, it just feels like somebody randomly walks up to your computer every few minutes and unplugs your mouse and keyboard for 5 seconds at a time. That's not fun to me at all.

But, to agree with Swilo, if you had like 5 dodges on charge or something and they could pull you out of those moments of total loss of your control, to me that would solve the problem. It would allow you to directly engage with being snared, which would probably even make the game better overall. Originally I said I'd rather just not have any kind of enemy AI CC against the player and I still think that, but being able to cancel out of it as an ability that all characters just innately have instantly available would be just as good I think.

Hopefully that is a more nuanced, less obtuse way to express what I was originally thinking.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 9, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I took pulverize to 60+ nms and the key is to have a high shockwave roll on a sick 2hander. Umbral aspect + earth skills slow + bear skills are earth also helps a lot with mana combined with the paragon board that provides essence on kill. I could have taken it higher but I got a tempest roar and rebuilt my Druid

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Ok fine I'll beat the dead horse one more time, hah. This post I agree with. Maybe I should change, or at least further develop, my opinion here, and then I'll drop it. It's not that anything that removes your ability to totally freely control your character in every game is always always always 100% unacceptable, it's that I feel the way Diablo 4 enemies do it feels terrible because it isn't implemented in a way players can positively engage with. Somebody called out Sub Zero freezing as to how I was wrong and to me that's a good example of control being taken away in a way that feels fine, or at least agreeable. Being frozen in MK is a clear punishment for a mistake. You don't take damage for it though, it's just a pause so Sub Zero can set himself up for a free extra hit. Getting frozen in MK makes you think "dammit, I screwed up." In WoW you can get dazed, sure, but it mostly only happens when you run away from a losing fight you're under leveled for, and even then you can still at least cast spells and try to defend yourself. With most games that snare or disable the player in some way, there's at least something you could have done beforehand to stop it, or during to negate it.

In Diablo 4 though, getting frozen or feared or whatever else feels entirely different. It's "enemies zerg the player, one of them casts an unavoidable or un-dodgeable daze / freeze / fear spell, or multiple enemies cast spells that individually can be dodged, but even if you dodge one, another is sure to hit because your dodge is now on cooldown, and bam, you're not longer able to play the game. So there's nothing you could have done to avoid it and nothing you can currently do to escape it while you just sit there and watch your lifebar slowly drain. Getting frozen in Diablo 4 makes you think "dammit, the game is screwing me over." Diablo 4's implementation of this kind of mechanic feels uniquely horrible because the whole thing feels entirely out of the player's control from beginning to end. As Diablo 4 is currently, it just feels like somebody randomly walks up to your computer every few minutes and unplugs your mouse and keyboard for 5 seconds at a time. That's not fun to me at all.

But, to agree with Swilo, if you had like 5 dodges on charge or something and they could pull you out of those moments of total loss of your control, to me that would solve the problem. It would allow you to directly engage with being snared, which would probably even make the game better overall.

Hopefully that is a more nuanced, less obtuse way to express what I was originally thinking.

the problem you're having is you're standing in the death circle too long and expecting not to be punished for standing in the death circle until it explodes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

But, to agree with Swilo, if you had like 5 dodges on charge or something and they could pull you out of those moments of total loss of your control, to me that would solve the problem. It would allow you to directly engage with being snared, which would probably even make the game better overall. Originally I said I'd rather just not have any kind of enemy AI CC against the player and I still think that, but being able to cancel out of it as an ability that all characters just innately have instantly available would be just as good I think.

all the cc is inasnely telegraphed and easily avoided except for webs being all over the floor or a ultra hasted cold enchanted elite running you down. u skipped the part where you try and figure out what youre doing wrong and instantly gone to raging about it to the point u started saying games dont have hard cc that kills you. gg.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

e: like for real if I’m actually contemplating defending loving Blizzard of all things because of how miserable the fanbase can be… like drat.

I've gone from "blizzard is absolutely trash it'll be a miracle if this isn't a dumpster fire" to "this is shockingly better than I expected" to "oh my god please never listen to your fans keep doing what you're doing" over the last month

arpg fans are absolutely loving deranged, they'll fight tooth and nail to defend archaic cargo cult bullshit that's actively hostile to the player in either a mechanical gameplay sense, or in some cases straight up needlessly physically damaging

gonna sacrifice my wrists to the arpg gods so I can post this 1000 blind burrows video like and subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GreatGreen posted:

A lot of words just to say I don’t understand how CC mechanics work in Diablo 4.