Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Something I just stumbled into because of an Instagram ad:

https://gaming.amazon.com/brackish-armor/dp/amzn1.pg.item.70e64589-f74a-498b-82f0-ed83bb9d8153

Free mount armor and trophy bundle by linking your Prime account to Battlenet. Cool set, sea themed. Hopefully they have a free promo for the Druid cosmetics that go along with it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

That might help a little but it still does it quite a bit. Disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and you lose your progress or rubber banding around the outdoors and you suddenly die or w/e

Yeah it sucks how often I get put in bad situations in Helltides just because of networking stuff. Like full multi-second freezes

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

As others have said most CC is very well televised (at least compared to previous Diablos), but even if it wasn't it's still very important to have.

First of all, it's supposed to suck. Conscious effort goes into making them feel more intense than they are, and is one of the few times your character is presented as weak and fragile, when 99% of the time nearly every gameplay aspect is tuned to do the opposite.

But why even have it? CC is a tool to press back on the player as the player presses on the game. Other tools are damage, enemy health, enemy speed and move cadence, and so on. CC exists to be able to tune those other things down, in order to create a well balanced overall difficulty. Without CC then those other things would have to be tuned higher to compensate, and you'd run into the pitfalls found in many ARPGs, such as getting 1-shot, or mindlessly wailing on a hitpoint sponge with scientific notation amounts of health, or enemies that dart around too fast or have immunity too often (you remember that D3 affix that made the elite invulnerable while they had adds alive?)

The more CC you have, the longer it is, the less you have to punish the player for getting hit by it. Obviously everything has its limitations and I'm not saying the above stuff doesn't happen occasionally in D4 as well, but I do think it happens much less, and I do think that more prevalent CC mechanics has had a part in making combat overall much smoother and learnable.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
especially while coop, horsing into legion events could freeze my series c for like 2-3 seconds, hard freeze. very weird, doesn’t happen at world bosses

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I haven’t found the CC here to be too onerous to avoid or deal with but I did quit Overwatch partly because of the stun meta so who can say.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kaysette posted:

I haven’t found the CC here to be too onerous to avoid or deal with but I did quit Overwatch partly because of the stun meta so who can say.

That's because they ignored a lesson loving TF2 learned a decade ago, within a week of releasing the first CC item (the scout baseball).
CC in PVP multiplayer loving sucks. Loss of control always feels bad.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Pellisworth posted:

That might help a little but it still does it quite a bit. Disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and you lose your progress or rubber banding around the outdoors and you suddenly die or w/e

the hardest part about clearing lilleth on a non insta gg build is finding 15 minutes where the server doesn't rubberband once

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

run a cc break and don't run cold enchanted sigils

there I solved cc for you

feel free to screech about mandatory unstoppable like mandatory vulnerable I guess

(cold enchanted can be fine at lower +levels, it's pretty godawful if you're going too high for sure)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If there was no CC you would never be in danger and it would be very boring to just get damage checked. Spider webs gotta go tho

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Mostly the spider webs gotta go because I’m owning myself by playing on a steamdeck and I can’t see them lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bachtere posted:

https://gaming.amazon.com/brackish-armor/dp/amzn1.pg.item.70e64589-f74a-498b-82f0-ed83bb9d8153

Free mount armor and trophy bundle by linking your Prime account to Battlenet. Cool set, sea themed. Hopefully they have a free promo for the Druid cosmetics that go along with it in the future.

Cool, thanks. Prime usually has a decent amount of stuff when they start working with people.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
You can still activate anti CC skills after you are stunned. Hard to give much more player control than that.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Time posted:

Mostly the spider webs gotta go because I’m owning myself by playing on a steamdeck and I can’t see them lol

i play on a 38" 1600p ultrawide and i can't see them lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The CC that you avoid like the fear and cold circles are fine, the CC where the pine rats shoot you and you get frozen for a second every time is dumb.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vashro posted:

You can still activate anti CC skills after you are stunned. Hard to give much more player control than that.

the anti CC potions could break CC like stuns/frozen i guess? idk that + cheat death potion+ (s2 and later ) auto scroll of escape seems like a lot for survivability

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SHISHKABOB posted:

The CC that you avoid like the fear and cold circles are fine, the CC where the pine rats shoot you and you get frozen for a second every time is dumb.

Diablo 3 had a patch where they made certain affix combinations mutually exclusive and I can see something similar happening here eventually. No cold enchanted on enemies with attack speed greater than some threshold perhaps

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Had the butcher show up 3 times within 5 dungeons to prevent my hardcore necro from hitting 50, and I've gotta say, he is comically inept at dealing with minion builds. Dude is laser focused on killing you specifically and will not do anything about the swarm of boneboys on his rear end while you show him how well WoW arenas taught you to eternally run circles around a pillar.

Now, treasure goblins? Hard counter to minion necro.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kaysette posted:

gently caress brig

That meta was misery

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Finally got Tempest Roar to drop, can someone confirm whether it’s worth the :effort: to switch away from shockwave/pulverize, which kicks rear end? Level 81 if it matters.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

boredsatellite posted:

gently caress brig

That meta was misery

i was playing brig the other night and said that i missed when you could just stun anyone on a 4 second cooldown and a friend i was playing with in discord booed me for a straight minute and tbh they were right to do so

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Bold Robot posted:

Finally got Tempest Roar to drop, can someone confirm whether it’s worth the :effort: to switch away from shockwave/pulverize, which kicks rear end? Level 81 if it matters.

werenado is probably the best build in the game atm and imo it's fun as hell

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, werenado whips rear end. Pulverize is cool and fun, but being able to do comparable or better aoe damage and still absolutely melt single targets owns. Honestly feels tankier than my bear build did too.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 9, 2023

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
At last I'd acquired the aspects necessary for a stormwolf. :unsmith: Then in the very first nightmare dungeon I tried, the glyph pedestal never appeared upon completion. :smith:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the glyph stand not appearing is something that i havent heard anything about, are people still having it happen? its only happened for me playing with other people and i assumed it was just appearing somewhere else because a few times it was actually halfway between the final room and a person somewhere else in the dungeon but ive also just not found it a couple more. has anyone had it happen in solo play?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
This is the first time it has happened to me, having levelled a rogue and a barbarian into the mid-70s as well as taken this current character to 65. I was playing solo.

In the past the glyphstone occasionally took a bit to appear (ten seconds or so at worst), but until now it never refused entirely to spawn.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Why isn’t Animus Carrier a title people can choose

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
lmao whoops i thought the first capstone was level 70 for some reason so i got my HC rogue gear enchanted, upgraded, level 58.5 after doing all the renown maxing, statue unlocking, codex opening etc. i run my friends through it on my SC barb i can probably do it.

2500 AP, 2500 life, 5.5K armor before disobedience

lmao no it’s a level 50 dungeon. very cool of me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

werenado is probably the best build in the game atm and imo it's fun as hell

I saw a guy running this in a helltide and they instantly deleted everything around them in events. It looked really good yeah.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Stux posted:

all the cc is inasnely telegraphed and easily avoided except for webs being all over the floor or a ultra hasted cold enchanted elite running you down. u skipped the part where you try and figure out what youre doing wrong and instantly gone to raging about it to the point u started saying games dont have hard cc that kills you. gg.

the webs are hard to see for real though. they need to do something about that. at first I thought they were just set dressing.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i was playing brig the other night and said that i missed when you could just stun anyone on a 4 second cooldown and a friend i was playing with in discord booed me for a straight minute and tbh they were right to do so

yup you deserved the booing

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah it sucks how often I get put in bad situations in Helltides just because of networking stuff. Like full multi-second freezes

I said this like a week ago that it sucks to lose a lot of progress and end up with no reward at all for a lot of effort and the thread cool people made it clear this was my fault too.

It's really frustrating when you are finally strong enough to make progress in WT4 helltides but not wrecking face to put 20-30 min into an event and lose your progress due to lag in some way - an enemy attack wind up not playing, rubber banding, or a flat disconnect. Dying otherwise is on the player, I'm not saying it should be easy or without risk. Just make the risk the game and not the net code.

I don't have a solution though except maybe a cinders "bank" you could fight to tap and freeze your progress and even to me that seems too easy mode for what they want. This was worse when Helltide chests didn't even drop uniques.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 9, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The forums people made fun of me a week ago…. They shall regret this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like having stakes in the game :)

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bachtere posted:

Wow one click, thanks. I never remember to check prime.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CharlestonJew posted:

The forums people made fun of me a week ago…. They shall regret this

Nah I was being whiny and deserved a lot of it but the lag has only gotten worse and is a legit fun ruining issue that more people are experiencing.

There's a lot of things I'll chalk up to preference but the game wasting your time because of the games own networking problems is really poo poo

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Internet stopped working for a few minutes earlier today, when it reconnected I had somehow lost 3/4 of my cinders. I think the guys I was grouped with rezzed me and then I died again all while disconnected.

I don't really give a poo poo but it's a good reminder never to bother with HC

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tonetta posted:

there's nothing stopping you from ignoring seasons entirely if you don't care about a dumb cosmetic battle pass. it's basically an offline game despite being "always online with mmo world mechanics" due to the account bound trade restrictions. whenever I have the itch to play a seasonal live service game but not the time to play out a season, I just hop on a legacy character and gently caress about until I'm bored.

The season 1 storyline quests/mechanics aren't going to be in Eternal and probably won't be brought to eternal ever though.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

unattended spaghetti posted:

I just don’t understand why people are afraid of just experimenting themselves. I’m a goddamn moron and when the thread turned into a 100 level math course a bunch of pages back my eyes glazed over and I’ve just been trying to build logically and it’s been fiiiiiiiine.

Granted I haven’t even been able to finish the campaign yet cause life but still.

I’m not even saying it’s bad to use a guide. If you don’t wanna think about it I have no shade for you but it feels like people have this weird anxiety about ruining their character or something when you definitely aren’t at risk for doing that.

The amount of gold and time spent redoing talents & paragon board is a huge turn-off for experimentation.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Also like for WT1 campaign - you can probably just click random stuff and be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the glyph stand not appearing is something that i havent heard anything about, are people still having it happen? its only happened for me playing with other people and i assumed it was just appearing somewhere else because a few times it was actually halfway between the final room and a person somewhere else in the dungeon but ive also just not found it a couple more. has anyone had it happen in solo play?

As a solo player, every now and again I have to wander around the final room until it appears. But I've never had it fail to appear completely.