Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Bambino Plus has a thermoblock, does that make it a heat-exchanger?

I went from a Bambino to a Profitec Pro 400. The Bambino has some sort of coil the water passes through I believe, where the water is heated on demand for either espresso or steaming. This means there's ~3s of heat up time from the thing being powered off, but more variation in temperature if you do espresso after steaming.

Contrast with the Profitec heat exchanger where there's a [1.8L?] boiler that sits inside it which must heat to steam pressure before it can be used, taking 10-15 mins from powered off. Then there's a pipe that runs through the steam boiler through which the espresso water flows to be heated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I went from a Bambino to a Profitec Pro 400. The Bambino has some sort of coil the water passes through I believe, where the water is heated on demand for either espresso or steaming. This means there's ~3s of heat up time from the thing being powered off, but more variation in temperature if you do espresso after steaming.

Contrast with the Profitec heat exchanger where there's a [1.8L?] boiler that sits inside it which must heat to steam pressure before it can be used, taking 10-15 mins from powered off. Then there's a pipe that runs through the steam boiler through which the espresso water flows to be heated.

How are you liking the Profitec now that you've gotten some time on it? How much of a pain was it getting it serviced?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I couldn't be happier, though I've not had it professionally serviced yet. When I got it one of the sensors in the boiler was loose and leaking slightly and I had to send it back to get tightened - I'd have done it myself but because it's a hex shape with a wire coming out of it you need a socket that can accommodate that wire. I'll just buy those next time something like that is needed. I looked up the videos on how to service the group head yourself and I'll probably do that rather than take it to anyone, it doesn't look harder than what I already did to lubricate the cam.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Very cool. I am still building my savings back up after having to be a responsible adult homeowner and pay an exorbitant amount of money to get French drains installed. Maybe I get myself a ridiculous Christmas present this year.

I remember you saying you needed to send it back for a leak, so I guess that's what I meant. These things are both bulky and seemingly delicate, so I can't imagine you want UPS/FedEX handling them anymore than absolutely necessary. I'd almost rather pay a retail premium and not deal with shipping, but I haven't been able to find anyone local in the Dallas area that sells much prosumer stuff.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Shipping it was a massive loving pain - when I first contacted the vendor they said I'd have to arrange shipping and it would have been an obscene cost. It was only when I'd persisted and spoken to several people that they ended up arranging it because it was within 10 days of purchase. It was also fortunate I'd kept all the packaging.

Prior to this I had investigated and found that I could get it serviced locally if I wanted to but I wanted the vendor to fix it on principle. That's another reason why I'm pleased with this sort of machine - that I'm not entirely bound to a vendor warranty process since they're simple things, fixable by almost anyone.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I bought the "sippy cup lid" for my 10oz ember.

The ember is ridiculous, and so is this lid.
…so why do I love them?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hobbies which both nourish you and fulfil your creative urges are exactly where you should splurge on luxury. Let your software-update-bricked-my-sippy-mug freak flag fly :)

Unrelated, I'm on a week of decaf. I also buy my beans from my roaster friend, scooped from his big bins into a mason jar to avoid plastic waste. I think he accidentally gave me regular instead of decaf, and when I went in to another of his locations and asked for a shot to compare the barista also misheard me and gave me regular :v:

To her credit, I was asking the new barista A to use a weird setting that I programmed on the machine. Experienced barista B overheard and took over, but barista B hadn't heard the decaf part

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My friend and I A-B tested his new Niche Duo with spro burrs against my Niche Zero with my Decent DE1 today, came away deciding to look at a MC5

Niche Zero had nicer complexity, fuller mouthfeel, more sweetness, and a wide sweet spot with respect to grind.

Niche Duo seemed to flatten everything out to a single flavor and what flavor you got out of it would very heavily depend on the grind setting. Flavor had a tendency to be thin, but it pulled out a nice sparking acidity. Worked better with turbo shot / extramundo dos profiles than the Zero by far.
When I talk about grind setting changing flavor, I was moving in half step increments. Workflow is great, same as the Zero but it is a bit louder.

If you wanted a single grinder to do both it seems like the Duo is it, but if you were only doing spro and had to stick to stock burrs I'd take the Zero between the two.

Anyway, just my useless opinion since youtube/homebarista/etc seems to say that flats are superior to conicals for spro and if you think otherwise you probably have no taste buds. Tested with a Burundi Sey and a Kenya Broadcast, about 20 drinks. Yes, we're cracked out

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 8, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The Bambino plus and the Encore ESP are here, so I did what any normal person does...

I packed them back up and took them up to my buddy's cottage on vacation to practice pouring shots.

:getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quixotic1 posted:

So coming from a Latin family most of my coffee experience is from ventanitas, and moka pots with Cafe Bustelo making coffee or just the espumita for others.

I'm looking for a present for my mom and was thinking of some coffee for her that goes well with the style they're used to or maybe upgrading the moka pot(some no name brand from the 70 or 80's I think).

Also what is the thought/research on the espumita.Like, has anyone added real expresso to it and does it make a difference.

Just get them a real-deal Bialetti in 1 or 2 useful sizes, I like to have a big one for 4-6+ and a small one that just makes enough for 1 or 2. They’re not particularly expensive but they’re def a step up from the no-name ones that everybody’s Latin American parents brought back from the old country back in the 90s

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone, got her a Bialetti, a bag of beans from a local roaster(Black Panther Coffee), and some Aeropress filters after seeing a James Hoffman video using them in a moka pot. The filters will probably go unused but it's the thought that counts.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Once upon a time, I impulse backed Crucial Detail’s Orb One. Three long years later, it arrived. The Orb purportedly brews along the spectrum from moka pot to drip coffee, by adjusting grind and amount of water. On first impression, the Orb is fiddly.

Here are all the pieces

Coffee goes here

Then the puck which expands with heat to control water flow

On top of that sits a plate w/gasket to separate hot water from the brew itself.

I forgot to put the water in the base. Fighting gravity is a very silly design choice, but the puck has to sit between the water and the beans for it to work, so stuff like this happens.

After cleanup, i refilled the top cone, inserted the puck and then the dome goes on top. With use, I’m sure this will get easier but for now it feels unpleasant to grind aluminum on the steel base.

And the Orb brews. A coarse grind and more water delivered a solid cup of thinner, drip-style coffee. Genuinely tasty. A nice surprise.

A finer grind and less water did not quite get us to moka pot levels of thicc bean juice w/crema one expects. Perhaps my Encore cannot grind fine enough, or maybe I need more than the directed 15g. For $100ish, it is silly to ponder the Orb as a single cup brewer. It is a pretty and quirky gadget, though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's pretty. I think its main draw is "moka pot but engineered for less chance to overextract" which is pretty cool if it works. Would you please share your opinion after daily use? Might be good for my moka pot loving brother :)

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Holy smokes, I went to try an espresso flight to see which beans to buy as the gift. Holy smokes, I didn't know they could taste so totally different.

I don't know the parlance, one was almost like fruity tart and the other was more chocolaty and more like the Bustelo I know.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whoa I want an espresso flight

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The salami shot is an interesting take on a “flight”. You pull a normal shot of espresso, but you swap out the cup/glass every few seconds. At the end of the shot you’ve got a single shot of espresso spread out over 4 or so glasses with a little of the espresso in each one.

The reason why this is cool, is that the liquid coming out of the machine tastes pretty different at different stages in the extraction, and tasting them separately from each other can help you understand what’s happening in the extraction process.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quixotic1 posted:

Holy smokes, I went to try an espresso flight to see which beans to buy as the gift. Holy smokes, I didn't know they could taste so totally different.

I don't know the parlance, one was almost like fruity tart and the other was more chocolaty and more like the Bustelo I know.

this is how it starts

THIS IS HOW IT STARTS

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

It's pretty. I think its main draw is "moka pot but engineered for less chance to overextract" which is pretty cool if it works. Would you please share your opinion after daily use? Might be good for my moka pot loving brother :)

I’m liking it more. Made another coarse/more water brew. Very nice to throw it on the stove instead of standing over a pour over. It’s satisfying to watch the brew exit the fine metal holes. I am no highly skilled coffee connoisseur, but I can taste a decent cup from not good and I’m enjoying what I get from this. Not sure when it will hit retail, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've roasted 25 batches of 5 different coffees now (Colombia Huila, Costa Rica Candelillas, Papua New Guinea, Sulawesi Aged, and Mexico Veracruz, all from Happy Mug). I've come to the conclusion that my popcorn popper is not capable of either the temperatures or the control over temperatures to get a roast curve that gives me a good roast beyond light-medium. Average weight lost across batches is ~14%, but with pretty low variance within variety. The good news I guess is that I'm coming around to lighter roasts and making coffee that I enjoy.

I've done every cup of coffee I had over the past few weeks either with an Aeropress or V60 clone (Bialetti), with fairly precise ratio control by weight, all hand-ground with my Timemore Chestnut 2. Right now, I'm tinkering with grind size and extraction time and finding that a finer grind really helps roasts that are less interesting.

It's intimidating how many different parts of this whole process affect taste and satisfaction with each batch. I think I had the idea at the beginning that I'd track down a few different "perfect" roasts/brews, but now I probably should just expect to constantly be looking for new stuff, documenting everything, and having some options for gifts, home use, drip/press/espresso/moka brewing.

Anyhow I think I have to get a better roaster to gain a little more control. How is the terribly named Popper* (*popper is a coffee roaster)?

edit: So remembering the range of % loss in my batches (I don't have my spreadsheet with me), seems like my roast levels fall in the City+ to Full City range. The thing is that few of the batches are falling into this color range. Now I don't have a color card in hand, but using good light and looking at pictures of these roasts on various different computer and phone screens, everything is looking more like City- to City. Descriptors I've written down are things like: cinnamon-dark cinnamon, burly/bright/cavendish, mahogany (darkest I've gotten), distressed saddle leather. My roast times are 7:00-11:00 depending on variety, but I think the average time is probably 8:00-8:30. I think perhaps my temperature is too low, so I'm roasting for longer than ideal at a lower than ideal temperature. Seem right?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 10, 2023

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

consensual poster posted:

Proud Mary is probably what you're looking for. They always have some coffee made with a crazy process.

Yup.

Stupid Decisions posted:

I asked this a couple of years ago and was recommended Extracto.

Was only in Portland for a little while but the couple of bags I had were good. They also did free delivery to certain zip codes which was nice.

They still roast my favorite beans in town, but don't get into the funky stuff. Great, great beans tho.

The other one I would suggest is Push x Pull. They are ALL about the funky beans.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Haven’t used my aeropress for a while and picked it up today to find that the rubber gasket on the plunger melted somehow. At least there are third party gaskets that you can buy relatively cheap.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rated PG-34 posted:

Haven’t used my aeropress for a while and picked it up today to find that the rubber gasket on the plunger melted somehow. At least there are third party gaskets that you can buy relatively cheap.

https://aeropress.com/collections/replacement-parts

There are original bits right from the source.

Does anyone have a book explanation on espresso drinks? I'm having a loving blast. This Bambino rules.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Cannon_Fodder posted:

https://aeropress.com/collections/replacement-parts

There are original bits right from the source.

Does anyone have a book explanation on espresso drinks? I'm having a loving blast. This Bambino rules.

Hell yeah. I used the poo poo out of my Breville Infuser before upgrading big time, and now a friend continues to crush shots with it.

Maybe start here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93waR1jzoLA

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There’s a bunch of technivorms on discount for prime day if anyone’s looking.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Well, that thing looks dope.

I would love a good automatic marker, been making filtered coffee for years manually. Sadly, this espresso adventure has me in the poor house for a bit.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Also some other retailers are lowering their prices to compete…the 40 oz insulated carafe version is normally 350, 215-240 on Prime depending on color, but also 225-240 at Williams Sonoma and Clive coffee. So you can still snag one if you don’t pay the Jeffy tax.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Aeropress on sale too but almost gone

Aeropress Original Coffee Press – 3 in 1 brew method combines French Press, Pourover, Espresso - Full bodied, smooth coffee without grit, bitterness - Small portable coffee maker for camping & travel https://a.co/d/h8KYBMd

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good hand grinder under (or a little over I guess ) $100 USD?

Used almost entirely for V60, and I drink almost exclusively light roasts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've been enjoying my Timemore Chestnut 2. I've been using it exclusively for Aeropress and V60 with light roasts. It's my first hand grinder so I can't compare it to anything else but it's very consistent, nice and heavy, smooth, overall a joy to use. My coffee tastes great to me and apparently to others I share it with.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 13, 2023

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can anyone recommend a good hand grinder under (or a little over I guess ) $100 USD?

I love my 1zpresso JX. It was on sale for $130 a few months ago.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my 1zpresso JX. It was on sale for $130 a few months ago.

This!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'll third the JX. You don't need the JX pro if you're not gonna use it for espresso.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

I've had a $70 KINGrinder K1 for about a year now and like it very much, their stuff is a little cheaper than the 1zpresso equivalent and seem to be fairly similar, if I remember right it's two companies that split off each other at some point but I could have that wrong. There's also higher end models available ($80 K2, $120 K4, $130 K6) and a lower end $50 K0 model, there's a useful chart comparing all the models if you scroll down past the embedded youtube video on their main website. It looks like the K3 and K5 models are not currently available (at least on Amazon), which is funny since about a year and a half ago the situation was the reverse, I actually emailed them asking about it and at the time got this as a reply:

KINGrinder email posted:

I am afraid to inform you that there is no current plan for the K2, K4, K6 grinders to be available at the moment.
The K3 and K5 shared the same burr design with the K4, K6 for your reference, kindly consider it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

I've had a $70 KINGrinder K1 for about a year now and like it very much, their stuff is a little cheaper than the 1zpresso equivalent and seem to be fairly similar, if I remember right it's two companies that split off each other at some point but I could have that wrong. There's also higher end models available ($80 K2, $120 K4, $130 K6) and a lower end $50 K0 model, there's a useful chart comparing all the models if you scroll down past the embedded youtube video on their main website. It looks like the K3 and K5 models are not currently available (at least on Amazon), which is funny since about a year and a half ago the situation was the reverse, I actually emailed them asking about it and at the time got this as a reply:

The K2 is $59 and the K4 is $89 at the moment, and if they’re actually decent those are very tempting prices compared to the (probably excellent) 1z j/jx at $130.

I’ll have to see if I can find some comparisons.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

The K2 is $59 and the K4 is $89 at the moment

Are they? I was going off prices I was (and still am) seeing on Amazon at the time of the post, for the ones that are shipped from Amazon and "Sold by" Kingrinder. Where are they cheaper? (I'm assuming Aliexpress or the like?)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Are they? I was going off prices I was (and still am) seeing on Amazon at the time of the post, for the ones that are shipped from Amazon and "Sold by" Kingrinder. Where are they cheaper? (I'm assuming Aliexpress or the like?)

There are $20/$30 coupons you can apply. It’s Amazon direct from them.

They may be prime only if you don’t have prime.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There are $20/$30 coupons you can apply. It’s Amazon direct from KinGrinder

They may be prime only if you don’t have prime.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
:cawg: quote not edit hehe

Yeah, I was browsing on an account without Prime, that explains it. Even cheaper then, cool!

I guess I still could've seen the "Join Prime to save $20 on this item with coupon" text on the page, now that I'm looking closer.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Did a bunch of research, ended up with a Timemore C3. It was about $55 off Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Anybody with an Ode2 find they have to have it at full fine most of the time? Like, it’s just barely fine enough turned all the way CCW. V60’s are coming in at 2:50-3:00 using Hoffman’s technique. Using light roasts.