Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Anders posted:

Just started checking the forum after a few years of hiatus. Has the tub of lard done anything of note since making the two last seasons of GoT as bad as the two last books of aSoIaF

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Tyrion-Lannister-Song-Fire/dp/0345539125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anders posted:

Just started checking the forum after a few years of hiatus. Has the tub of lard done anything of note since making the two last seasons of GoT as bad as the two last books of aSoIaF

He threw a tantrum about not being allowed to build a literal castle.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Anders posted:

He bought a railroad track and a train to drive on it. The thread title is serious.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Anders posted:

He gave Sibel K3kille herpes.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Just kidding. She has more class than that.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Anders posted:

he has spent more time lying

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Quell suprise

ItohRespectArmy posted:

he has spent more time lying
Quell surprise

Evil Fluffy posted:

He threw a tantrum about not being allowed to build a literal castle.
Quell suprise

Kylaer posted:

He bought a railroad track and a train to drive on it. The thread title is serious.
This is actually surprising - also HI KYLAER! Good to see you're still active! All the while I've not been on SA I've always sent you a warm thought when thinking about how the Merenees knot should've been solved (and Warhammer 40k)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

It's been a while since I read the books. What religion do they follow in Essos? I remember the Dothraki beliefs, but what about in the free cities?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

LiterallyATomato posted:

It's been a while since I read the books. What religion do they follow in Essos? I remember the Dothraki beliefs, but what about in the free cities?

Lemoncakes and breastplates with nipples

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Anders posted:

This is actually surprising - also HI KYLAER! Good to see you're still active! All the while I've not been on SA I've always sent you a warm thought when thinking about how the Merenees knot should've been solved (and Warhammer 40k)

Hey man, good to see you around :buddy: I haven't written anything lately, I really should get back into it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

LiterallyATomato posted:

some poo poo with the fire god

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LiterallyATomato posted:

I think they follow they same faith as Melisandre

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

LiterallyATomato posted:

a buncha different ones. horses and fires and death and the sea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s also those spooky black goat dudes

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

jsoh posted:

a buncha different ones. horses and fires and death and the sea

this.

Essos is a mega continent the size of Eurasia and then some, it is not culturally monolithic, we see the dothraki religion, we know braavos is full of different temples as it's kind of a cultural nexus, volantis has its own regional culture despite also being the center of the red god worship, presumably they still carry some remanents from the old valyrian religion (which the targ's publicly renounced so it has no presence in westeros). I think gurm throws in a hint of 'noble savage orientalism' into the whole mix where Essos is actually far more culturally diverse than Westeros and has a richer history of which we only gets hints of, some of the exoticism is of course brought on by the character POVs and there are definitely ways in which we're supposed to consider Essos as having 'backwards morals' compared to Westeros but the overall narrative generally tends towards depicting cultures outside of westerosi feudal society more favorably, in fact almost any expression of cultural preservation is shown as 'positive', Essos in that sense is 'humanity in its vivid best' where's Westeros is a stagnating piece of garbage that barely produces any culture or technology on its own.

or something.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Meanwhile there are literal dinosaurs in Sothyros.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

this.

Essos is a mega continent the size of Eurasia and then some, it is not culturally monolithic, we see the dothraki religion, we know braavos is full of different temples as it's kind of a cultural nexus, volantis has its own regional culture despite also being the center of the red god worship, presumably they still carry some remanents from the old valyrian religion (which the targ's publicly renounced so it has no presence in westeros). I think gurm throws in a hint of 'noble savage orientalism' into the whole mix where Essos is actually far more culturally diverse than Westeros and has a richer history of which we only gets hints of, some of the exoticism is of course brought on by the character POVs and there are definitely ways in which we're supposed to consider Essos as having 'backwards morals' compared to Westeros but the overall narrative generally tends towards depicting cultures outside of westerosi feudal society more favorably, in fact almost any expression of cultural preservation is shown as 'positive', Essos in that sense is 'humanity in its vivid best' where's Westeros is a stagnating piece of garbage that barely produces any culture or technology on its own.

or something.

I hope he develops this theme further in the next book!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

LiterallyATomato posted:

I hope he develops this theme further in the next book!

I hope he develops a work ethic

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Kylaer posted:

Hey man, good to see you around :buddy: I haven't written anything lately, I really should get back into it.

You really should! What would be a good crossover? Band of Brothers, were ez company get caught in a inter dimensional portal? A magic portal where the aSoIaF characters get transported to the MCU and get captured by SHIELD?

There is no limit to creativity

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
The only reason I want the last two books is to possibly get more info on the Others.

The series ending the way it does makes sense to me. Young Griff will rebuff Jon and Dany for help and take King’s Landing and marry Arianne Martell and the bells ringing for the wedding will set off Dany.

My absolute crackpot theory is that the three eyed raven is just one of many other Brandons leading other Brandons beyond the wall to stop the Night’s King (who will turn out to be one of those Brandons). Like it’ll be like a bene gesserit plot: he’ll have set up prophecies and religions, and certain bloodline mixing to produce the kwisatz haderach who could go so far as to do something like orchestrate the Doom

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

From time to time I think of that write up on The Five Forts and how awesome and creepy a story set there would be because its The Wall, But Desert. Then a I lol because who gives a poo poo about this trash.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

this lovely article posted:

seeing Martin give interviews is kind of encouraging, because it indicates to me that he’s confident enough about his progress that he’s willing to take a minute to do something fun.
https://winteriscoming.net/2023/07/07/george-rr-martin-dont-be-impatient-only-12-years-the-winds-of-winter/

lol.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

"only" is doing so much backbreaking labor there

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Isn’t it a bit unfair to dunk on comments made a decade ago

… It was made a decade ago right?

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Politely ignoring george's old comments about how he can't write for several weeks after being distracted by all his media circus bullshit

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Pay attention to me", says attention-starved lazy man.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

"Pay attention to me", says attention-starved lazy man.

According to the NAB, the interview was going to be with a random podcaster who no-showed The Mountain that Bides so his friend stepped in. That would sting if Martin didn't have the self awareness of a sofa cushion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Woodpile posted:

According to the NAB, the interview was going to be with a random podcaster who no-showed The Mountain that Bides so his friend stepped in. That would sting if Martin didn't have the self awareness of a sofa cushion.

I mean, if the coin flip is between "Talk to GRRM" and "Do something better with my time", I know what side I'd be praying landed face up.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

LiterallyATomato posted:

A lot of them. The slaver cities have the Harpy, there's the Many-Faced God, The Red God as someone mentioned, the Pale Child is from some of GRRM's other stuff. That's just off the top of my head, I know there are a lot more. There's a Goat god in one of the Free Cities I think (Qohor or what have you?) which seemed like a Baphomet shout-out to me.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I read it more as a Sub Niggurath thing since Qohor is known for being by a dark enormous wood but there's not much textual evidence either way.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Kuiperdolin posted:

Sub Niggurath

:shepface:

Is this a canon name in the lore and if so, how drunk were the editor?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yo what up reformed bad thread.

So I’m actually rereading GoT and I have a question : do we have any evidence that that absolute fucker has written a single god drat word of Winds of Winter since that preview chapter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anders posted:

It’s a Lovecraft thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So I’m actually rereading GoT and I have a question : do we have any evidence that that absolute fucker has written a single god drat word of Winds of Winter since that preview chapter.

No.

Even those previews were stuff he wrote for Dance and cut, so not only has he not written a single thing but he's been doing so for longer than you thought.

MrMojok posted:

It’s a Lovecraft thing.

That's spelled Shub-Niggurath. :cthulhu:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sub Niggurath implies the existance of Dom Niggurath.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HELLO LADIES posted:

A lot of them. The slaver cities have the Harpy, there's the Many-Faced God, The Red God as someone mentioned, the Pale Child is from some of GRRM's other stuff. That's just off the top of my head, I know there are a lot more. There's a Goat god in one of the Free Cities I think (Qohor or what have you?) which seemed like a Baphomet shout-out to me.

I fully believe GRRM had only the vaguest idea of what he wanted Essos to be like. Slavers, creepy ancient cities, fat eunuchs, nomads, general orientalist stuff. So he just handed some napkin notes saying "lovecraftian horrors? green skin???" to his assistants, and that's where the whole worldbuilding book came from.

Not that that's a problem, and honestly at this point I just wish he'd do the same thing for TWOW.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Xiahou Dun posted:

Preston Jacobs put out this video a year ago theorizing probably not

https://youtu.be/KukzgDTcxeQ

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Would be funny if it’s already written and he just didn’t want to send it to his editor for whatever reason.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Anders posted:

H.P. Lovecraft was incredibly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I can’t read, so I thought it was GURMworld
Also, gently caress Lovecraft. Pathetic edgelord poo poo for edgelord kids. The Ayn Rand of fantasy