Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

After a handful of games in the Bourgogne, I am enjoying this a great deal.

E: it feels pretty much what I was hoping for, a Super-Alsace. The guns are surprisingly good, and I'm getting full pens on the superstructures of heavy ships, and if someone shows me broadside, they are in for a world of loving hurt. The armour is not good, just like it isn't on the Alsace, and the new American hybrids especially will turbo gently caress you over for massive damage from their planes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I guess something's turbo hosed since I can't access the armory in game, or the Naval Battle. It just tries to make me log in to the website from within the game, and then still doesn't work.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Harugumo unlocked. The Kitakaze was an absolute blast to play. Is the Harugumo worth buying or should I just reset the line and go for the Akizuki and Kita again to grind RP?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Probably just reset tbh. Haru is fun but it’s not as much fun as the Kita. You’ll be doing the same stuff you did in Kita but now you’re huge and clumsy and you die easier as a result.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Probably just reset tbh. Haru is fun but it’s not as much fun as the Kita. You’ll be doing the same stuff you did in Kita but now you’re huge and clumsy and you die easier as a result.

This is all correct but it mostly depends on what you actually want to do with the boat - if you’re going to do ranked gold is tier 10 now and tier 9 is generally painful for randoms due to superships. But haru is generally an upgrade, but with downsides where Kita is more or less Akizuki but better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I finally got around to finishing the battle pass and got the Split, and holy poo poo this thing is nuts. Apparently the T9 and T10 are even better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone isn't playing the new Asymmetric Battles, get on that before they nerf the poo poo out of the rewards:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Yeah Asymmetric battles are really good fun, it's hard mode PvE that kills bad players really fast!

And as above, the rewards are a little OTT, I am making over a million credits a game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

At this point I just sigh if there's destroyers or cruisers on my team, because they die within 30 seconds of being spotted like 99% of the time. At least most battleships take longer to kill so the players with more than one braincell can use that time to win the game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I've been getting more angry at the fact that battleships are typically going into reverse or turning around completely before the enemy team is even being spotted. I can carry in BBs way more than subs or cruisers since BBs counter them and I know where my w key is.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The meta is pretty much all about hanging back and sniping. :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kleber unlocked. Holy poo poo this thing is fun.

Not surprising of course. It's the Mogador, which was already incredibly fun, but moreso.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WG have discovered that only battleships are queuing for the Asymmetric Battles (because it's loving miserable for anything that isn't a battleship), so they're solving the issue by nerfing battleship credit and XP gains significantly tomorrow.

You know, instead of making it so you can play a DD or cruiser and not get focused to death in seconds. That would take work.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

WG have discovered that only battleships are queuing for the Asymmetric Battles (because it's loving miserable for anything that isn't a battleship), so they're solving the issue by nerfing battleship credit and XP gains significantly tomorrow.

You know, instead of making it so you can play a DD or cruiser and not get focused to death in seconds. That would take work.

You either have to go stealth or pick a smoke DD. AI has no qualms about taking cross map shots on a ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

You either have to go stealth or pick a smoke DD. AI has no qualms about taking cross map shots on a ship.

Yeah. The more I play the game mode the less I like it. It's great for brawling battleships and poo poo for everyone else, and when half of your team consists of cruisers who get deleted in 2 minutes, the rest of you then get crossfired to poo poo by bots.

Oh well, I used my red boosters and grinded like 50 million credits in less than a week so they can ruin it for all I care.

E: there's also something bugged about the bots' module damage, or the Schlieffen's torpedo launchers, because I had a run of six games where I lost a torpedo tube on the first hit I took, and it was usually a ~1000 damage HE shell from a destroyer. Also constantly losing turrets.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Losing torpedoes on German ships has been a thing for a while now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kitakaze unlocked. Man I miss T8-T9 ranked, because constant CV + supership + sub matches aren't terribly fun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The difference between T10 and T9 Ranked is really stark. People are so passive at T10, I've been in multiple games so far where they had a Yamato I never saw for the first 10 mins.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I don't like it when all leagues are the same tier regardless of which tier that is. I probably spend 75% of my time in silver, since the bronze economic rewards are utterly worthless and gold is too infuriating, but I tend to have at least 1 sprint in each tier every season.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People weren't kidding about the Bourgogne being an absolute joy to play.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out I already have enough coal for a boat. The Black would be kinda appealing for if T9 Ranked ever comes back, but right now the most realistic options I don't have yet are...

- Sherman
- Tromp
- Alvaro de Bazan
- Hayate

Out of those I guess Sherman makes the most sense? Tromp might be kinda fun, and is at least pretty unique? But then again so is Sherman.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Turns out I already have enough coal for a boat. The Black would be kinda appealing for if T9 Ranked ever comes back, but right now the most realistic options I don't have yet are...

- Sherman
- Tromp
- Alvaro de Bazan
- Hayate

Out of those I guess Sherman makes the most sense? Tromp might be kinda fun, and is at least pretty unique? But then again so is Sherman.

Sherman is basically identical to Friesland in gameplay, if you have that you know what you’re getting. I rarely play mine.

Tromp is surprisingly okay because it has competitive concealment (5.8) despite no heal or smoke and mediocre DPM. I find it generally fun to play in ranked.

Alvaro is okay. If you’re competent at dd play the burst can get you early advantages in hp but it’s hard to leverage well, because it has low DPM, no heal, and mediocre concealment.

Hayate is just bad. I play it because I like playing bad ships and succeeding in them but it has nothing to recommend it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the Tromp is surprisingly competent. The guns feel pretty good, and the air drop can surprise people because it drops much faster.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well crap, now I don't know what to get. Time to go watch Potato Quality or something.

And yeah I already have a Friesland.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: there's also something bugged about the bots' module damage, or the Schlieffen's torpedo launchers, because I had a run of six games where I lost a torpedo tube on the first hit I took, and it was usually a ~1000 damage HE shell from a destroyer. Also constantly losing turrets.

Module HP has number range, what your get is random in that range. Schlieffen has very exposed torp launchers as well. I considered it a miracle in a game where I get to launch a set twice.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well crap, now I don't know what to get. Time to go watch Potato Quality or something.

And yeah I already have a Friesland.

It all depends on what you like to do. I play dds very aggressively for an early kill, spotting, and cap control. I assume most dds I can beat one on one through positioning and juking. So for me I don’t really enjoy playing smoke farming destroyers.

I also play ranked more than randoms, and that’s 50%+ hydro battleships these days. So smoke farming is very depreciated. Tromp is a pain to push into, between decent torps and the air strikes, so it’s pretty solid in that situation if you don’t get fixated. But it’s absolutely a “the sum of all parts makes it okay” boat, if you can’t leverage the planes due to aim or skilled dodging you’d rather be in almost anything else.

Bazán is okay, like I said above. It’s a Regolo hull, so it’s big, but has better conceal than Regolo itself. Good HE alpha, but the AP is heartbreaking because you’ll fail to citadel Smolensks when you’re expecting to burst them down. It fits my “try and beat the enemy dd” playstyle pretty well, but it depends on the enemy dd letting you get vision despite having 6.2 something conceal.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

For sure, my current favourite DD is the Kleber, because it's constant balls to the wall action. Don't really care much for smoke camping.

I mean it's not the end of the world, coal is pretty easy to get right now so chances are I'll have both the Tromp and the Sherman soon enough anyway.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Tromp has two very different distinct playstyles depending on the time of the game. You've got snappy guns, great concealment, good AA, a rocking speedboost and a big health pool so you want to be trying to win your 1v1 against the enemy DD and grab your early cap.

Assuming you've done that, you then become an invisible bastard using your low cooldown torps and airstrikes to deny the cap or destroy anything that decides to come in to your zone. Hell, you're encouraged to be knife-fighting early to make sure you've got 1/3rd HP and a big adrenaline rush boost. You can and should be very mobile because your main weapon, airstrikes, don't need line of sight and special positioning, just range.

Tromp was a curiosity at first for me but it's honestly my favorite and most played TX DD now. The airstrikes in particular remove that frustrating torp RNG downside to playing undetected, no other ship can deploy as much misery on an opponent like the Tromp can. I like the Sherman, but it's so loving slow and requires your team to be actively spotting for you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, you make a convincing argument.

E: I guess I subconsciously decided on the Tromp, since I now have the coal to buy the Sherman and didn't. 2000 more to the Tromp, which wasn't 232 000 as I thought.

E2: Aww poo poo, I don't have a Dutch captain. Starting the commander grind from skill 3 is going to loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2023

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, you make a convincing argument.

E: I guess I subconsciously decided on the Tromp, since I now have the coal to buy the Sherman and didn't. 2000 more to the Tromp, which wasn't 232 000 as I thought.

E2: Aww poo poo, I don't have a Dutch captain. Starting the commander grind from skill 3 is going to loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I got a 10 point Santa captain in a Dutch ship a while back from a Christmas event, did you get that one?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sadly no. And looks like I'm not even starting from 3 skill points but zero. loving hell.

I guess I could buy the 1500 doubloon 10 point commander, or buy one of those "random commander" boxes and hope I get a Dutch guy.

E: the commander boxes don't even give a guaranteed commander, it's a 32% chance. gently caress off with this poo poo, WG.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 3, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Can't you just use your free commander xp to buy him up a bit

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
There's a special Dutch commander with a bonus to Demolition Expert who might work well with the Tromp airstrikes? Those things can be pretty nasty, I've had triple fires off drops on BBs.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Demo Expert does nothing to Airstrike fire chances, so, no huge deal having a special captain on the Tromp.

The airstrikes are ultra deadly because they have a very short strike time, makes leading targets simple. The drop zone is also tight, which would be a downside on normal long strike airstrikes on the cruisers, but since it's so easy to hit ships it actually means you get more bombs on target. I think normal strikes hit in 15 seconds while Tromp's land in 10. With the reload time being 48 seconds before AR kicks in, you permanently keep anything around you on fire.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got the Louisiana. Good lord how the gently caress did this thing launch with this aiming reticle?

"Yes being able to land all your Midway bombs on a destroyer is perfectly fine"
-- a professional game designer

(of course the real answer is they launched it busted to get people to use money to convert free XP and get it, and now are nerfing it)

E: also I got the Tromp and bought the 1500 gold 10 point commander. Thank you supercontainer with coal in it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 4, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, I need to get better at aiming the air drops, but even after my first game this thing is hilarious.

Considering how short but powerful the speed boost is, a speed boost mod probably would be pretty useful equipment on this thing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Up to the T7 Pan American Cruiser and they're fun to play but seem completely impotent against both Battleships and Destroyers which does make them awkward to play.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 7, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone have a suggestion for a first time coal premium ship to make some credits? I only have about 60,000 coal but I'm getting bored and my highest tier ship is a 6.

I have an old WoWS account under DeviantCelt which if any of you guys played WoT you may have seen me, but I got a new steam account to play with my nephew a few weeks back.

edit: I have a 25% off coal coupon too. :)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 8, 2023

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a first time coal premium ship to make some credits? I only have about 60,000 coal but I'm getting bored and my highest tier ship is a 6.

I have an old WoWS account under DeviantCelt which if any of you guys played WoT you may have seen me, but I got a new steam account to play with my nephew a few weeks back.

edit: I have a 25% off coal coupon too. :)

Generally the good credit earning ships are either tier 8 doubloon ships or tier 9 coal ships, and there aren’t many good alternatives. The price of the latter is around 200k coal, which is probably several months of heavy play worth of coal unfortunately. Others may have some suggestions but I at least almost never play below tier 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

Up to the T7 Pan American Cruiser and they're fun to play but seem completely impotent against both Battleships and Destroyers which does make them awkward to play.

Its weird to have a light cruiser that a lot of DD's will kinda just ignore and let you shoot at them, because you aren't doing poo poo for damage to them.
I've had some fun games in the tier 8 so far, but I can't say I'd recommend the line at all. The gimmick of being hard to kill is kinda funny, but you are a ship that is hard to kill that is a mild annoyance.