Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just to save everyone else the effort - Q's one of the creepy weirdos running 8chan, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you know Godzilla is a metaphor for nuclear weapons?

I heard it was a metaphor for geothermal energy.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

GoldStandardConure posted:

I need to re-watch all of those one day, I haven't seen them since watching them late night on SBS way back in the day.

but I could just watch Kong: Skull Island and ShinGodzilla on repeat and have a much better time instead.

Destoroyah is easily the third or fourth best Godzilla movie after Shin and the original so I dispute the suggestion you won't have a good time

E: and of course you've got entertainments in that era such as vs. King Ghidorah's getting distracted attempting to be a terminator movie, and vs. Biollante's quaint environmentalism too. vs. Spacegodzilla testing the viewer's will to live is a definite low point, but entirely survivable

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 9, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Assessor of Maat posted:

Destoroyah is easily the third or fourth best Godzilla movie after Shin and the original so I dispute the suggestion you won't have a good time

yes but that's like 5 good movies out of...

what 35 odd Godzilla movies?

Biolante, Destroyah, and Ghidorah movies are great, same with some of the MechaGodzilla ones.

What was the one with the munted wee baby Godzilla?

There is a lot of chaff to sort through to get to the tasty tasty wheat.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

yes but that's like 5 good movies out of...

what 35 odd Godzilla movies?

Biolante, Destroyah, and Ghidorah movies are great, same with some of the MechaGodzilla ones.

What was the one with the munted wee baby Godzilla?

There is a lot of chaff to sort through to get to the tasty tasty wheat.

38 if you include the crummy animated Godzilla trilogy

the terrible iteration of the baby is in Spacegodzilla, and there's different one in Final Wars but it's fine there tbh, also the motorcycle fight obliterates any criticisms I have of that movie

by my accounting half of Godzilla movies are at least good enough to be worth the watch, about 3/4 if you're a dork like me that can't get enough and enjoy the dodgier Shōwa ones, which ain't a bad hit rate for a long running franchise. better than any of this superhero crap or the star wars will ever manage I'm sure

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Assessor of Maat posted:

38 if you include the crummy animated Godzilla trilogy

the terrible iteration of the baby is in Spacegodzilla, and there's different one in Final Wars but it's fine there tbh, also the motorcycle fight obliterates any criticisms I have of that movie

by my accounting half of Godzilla movies are at least good enough to be worth the watch, about 3/4 if you're a dork like me that can't get enough and enjoy the dodgier Shōwa ones, which ain't a bad hit rate for a long running franchise. better than any of this superhero crap or the star wars will ever manage I'm sure

I have a DVD of one of the Heisei Godzilla VS Mechagodzillas laying around here somewhere. I should watch it again as its been a hot minute since I have seen any of the old movies.

Need to get a copy of Gamera too.

Gappa can gently caress off though, jesus christ.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

I have a DVD of one of the Heisei Godzilla VS Mechagodzillas laying around here somewhere. I should watch it again as its been a hot minute since I have seen any of the old movies.

Need to get a copy of Gamera too.

Gappa can gently caress off though, jesus christ.

yeah Gappa sucks and isn't worth the time, particularly as Gorgo is there and somewhat more watchable

Pulgasari's a good one because you can prime yourself by reading about the production while the credits are going and then be in some kind of mental state for the actual movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The spinoff cartoon for the 98 American Godzilla is actually really good.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The spinoff cartoon for the 98 American Godzilla is actually really good.

lots of nice creature designs in that one, unfortunate it still seems to be stuck without a HD release

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Amethyst posted:

The fact that you thought “actually the world really is like a conspiracist cork board” was a strong rebuff to people accusing you of crankery tells me you are a crank. It’s what you saying! Lol

But it.. it is, right? Like, literally? Isn't it? ... How is it not? All history is one big story, on the same four-dimensional tapestry of spacetime.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just to save everyone else the effort - Q's one of the creepy weirdos running 8chan, right?

They almost certainly have at least a hand in it now yes, but they definitely didn't start it, or have anything to do with its formative first month. They are great patsies for the people who did start it though.

But hey, I'm heading off for the long drive to uluru today, peace out homies.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Timecube

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

it's rat in the hat

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
buckys article could have stood to be a little less sprawling but starting at the french revolution is perfectly relevant given that it was the crucible of modern political thought and a time lousy with examples of propaganda being used to justify power grabs under the guise of the peoples will. You could probably write a very good undergrad essay directly comparing the revolution to trump era politics. in terms of actual critiques i think the piece would have been better as an ongoing series to break it up and allow the details to breathe. theres a lot of good info there but it was a bit much to read all at once.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 10, 2023

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky, make it a pod cast. People would be more likely to listen to a serial like this on their commute than sit and read in one go.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

hambeet posted:

Timecube

LEARNING TRIANGLE

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
bucky i have a good radio voice pay me to read your article for the audio book

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bucky i have a good radio voice pay me to read your article for the audio book

No no, you have a good radio face.

You have a good voice for mime.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

No no, you have a good radio face.

You have a good voice for mime.

nooo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's very much the nerd fallacy that 'more information = more better' and resulting in a piece swamped with barely relevant extras. Not to mention more that needs to be double checked and sourced because any errors, even to tangentially relevant information, seriously damage what credibility you have.

And ultimately it comes down to the question of 'Who is Q???' doesn't actually matter. There's no shortage of right wing demagogues on literally every available source. One form of branding won out over others, but it's ultimately spewing the same poo poo. The actual content of conspiracy theories doesn't matter, it's always incoherent and changes like the wind. A lot of the time it's done on purpose as the constant bad faith arguments, smokescreen after smokescreen and cries of persecution tangle up the 'well akshually' liberals to use up all their time and energy, and that's usually on purpose. It's literally tactics honed in formal debate- and Sartre's quote on antisemites. (In fact, if you're gonna go with classical references, you should probably lead with that one)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

buckys article could have stood to be a little less sprawling but starting at the french revolution is perfectly relevant given that it was the crucible of modern political thought and a time lousy with examples of propaganda being used to justify power grabs under the guise of the peoples will. You could probably write a very good undergrad essay directly comparing the revolution to trump era politics. in terms of actual critiques i think the piece would have been better as an ongoing series to break it up and allow the details to breathe. theres a lot of good info there but it was a bit much to read all at once.

this post is making me more steamed than a geothermal godzilla

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

birdstrike posted:

this post is making me more steamed than a geothermal godzilla

jacobin spotted, fetch me the head parisian police

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
wait would Rodan technically be the geothermal kaiju since hes always hanging out near volcanoes?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

wait would Rodan technically be the geothermal kaiju since hes always hanging out near volcanoes?

Nah Rodan was just leeching power from those volcanoes.. bitcoin-rear end godzilla.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here is an unpopular opinion and hot take:

Ultraman monsters are better Kaiju than Godzilla and all his mates.

There are more of them, they look cooler/stranger, and the toys are easier to find in shops.

I bought my brother one of these blokes when I was in Yokohama more than 15 years ago, and he still has it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

if you’l want to prove they look cooler, don’t pick the one that looks like a Pokémon with ultra hearing or something

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Pui Pui Molcar is the superior Japanese stop motion animation about oversized creatures rampaging through a city.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

BrigadierSensible posted:

hotter than a steamed anguirus

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

hambeet posted:

if you’l want to prove they look cooler, don’t pick the one that looks like a Pokémon with ultra hearing or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8y_GiOSlU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Also lol at the latest five minute mod telling us to stay on topic.

That hasn’t worked since 2012.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

bucky owns

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

https://youtu.be/PUvAFsoV3xY

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ultraman monsters are better Kaiju than Godzilla and all his mates.

There are more of them, they look cooler/stranger, and the toys are easier to find in shops.

I bought my brother one of these blokes when I was in Yokohama more than 15 years ago, and he still has it.

gomess is just godzilla with extra bits stuck on

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yFx5Pl3-I

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

They should just be grateful that raptorfag is gone.

Vale ponyposting.

Remember when we knew the news was reading this thread and there was a raptorfag post? And for one shining moment, there was a chance the news vultures were getting raptorfag'd?

Good times.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

follow your dreams hooman, be the change you want to see in the thread

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hambeet posted:

AUSPOL has a topic?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AUSPOL has a topic?

exactly

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

They should just be grateful that raptorfag is gone.

Vale ponyposting.

Remember when we knew the news was reading this thread and there was a raptorfag post? And for one shining moment, there was a chance the news vultures were getting raptorfag'd?

Good times.

yeah anidav uni assignment to write copy for a local lnp candidate or something

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
raptorfag will return to us in our darkest hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We should merge with the new Zealand thread to acquire a topic.