Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I never understood the whole Superman being hugely jackedman thing anyway, he's a loving alien so impossibly strong that he'd probably have to work out for hours using oil tankers or something. A slimmer, 'just' defined version always made more sense to me.

Hell, most of the Mr Universe style physiques are ridiculous. Batman's a ninja, Flash a sprinter, Aquaman a swimmer, none of them need absurd bulk bar the Hulk and maybe Cap and Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Superman is an alien, maybe he just looks like that without work

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Superman should be jacked, but like 1930s old timry jacked. Not rippling, well defined muscles and an 8 pack, but barrel cheated and sturdy. That's what a Kansas farm boy would look like anyways, and given that he gets his strength from the sun and he's not bench pressing buildings or anything, it would be more likely how he'd look

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

I never understood the whole Superman being hugely jackedman thing anyway, he's a loving alien so impossibly strong that he'd probably have to work out for hours using oil tankers or something. A slimmer, 'just' defined version always made more sense to me.

Hell, most of the Mr Universe style physiques are ridiculous. Batman's a ninja, Flash a sprinter, Aquaman a swimmer, none of them need absurd bulk bar the Hulk and maybe Cap and Thor.

I agree with most of these except Aquaman, have you seen photos of Olympic swimmers. Sure Mamoa is bigger than him, but not by a ton.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, fair point Skwirl. Swimmers tend to have shoulders for days, just hugeass mofos so yes, swimmers was a poor example on my part.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Swimmers are muscular but not beefy. Very different body type than the current Hollywood action hero

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

Swimmers are muscular but not beefy. Very different body type than the current Hollywood action hero

Have you seen Michael Phelps?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think Superman shouldn't look too muscular because he has to be able to put on a pair of glasses and come off as a dweeb.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fangz posted:

I think Superman shouldn't look too muscular because he has to be able to put on a pair of glasses and come off as a dweeb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fangz posted:

All he has to do is say he's a lifting nerd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

I like the Boring-era Superman whose torso looks like a barrel. Not barrel-chested, just a loving barrel altogether.

Too bad the stories are poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I like the Boring-era Superman whose torso looks like a barrel. Not barrel-chested, just a loving barrel altogether.

Too bad the stories are poo poo.

I mean, it's called the Boring-era

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got this promoted tweet and at first I thought they were being ironic

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

I got this promoted tweet and at first I thought they were being ironic

Turning Point USA is one of the worst actors in the right wing culture war. Pay them no mind.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Superman is jacked because comic artist don't draw anything else and comic readers expect superheroes to be jacked, unless it's a comedy series.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stop going on Twitter imo. It will only get worse.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Being on Twitter in 2023 is a lol. Or 2022. Or 2021. Or...

E: wait what thread is this?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mostly associate twitter with finding out my favorite artists passing away now. RIP Brian Ewing.

https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/1677034436808900608?s=20

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone read DP7? I’m going through my comics and putting together stuff for an auction, and I had this on the block. But I noticed it’s a complete series by Gruenwald, so looking for thoughts. I’m going to read at least the first few issues, but always interested in opinions from BSS people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone read DP7? I’m going through my comics and putting together stuff for an auction, and I had this on the block. But I noticed it’s a complete series by Gruenwald, so looking for thoughts. I’m going to read at least the first few issues, but always interested in opinions from BSS people.

It's funny, I got some random issue of that from a rack when I was really young and loved it. When I got old enough to go hunting I couldn't find any issues of it whatsoever. It was a real bummer because young me read that single issue like 50 times.

So I don't have an answer for you but it made me remember

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

It's the best of the New Universe series, basically their take on X-Men. It's decent comics but if you never read it then you're not really missing out.

If you are reading, at least read to #12. That ends the first arc and reaches the reorganization that the New Universe underwent that basically sent everything off the rails. The survivor NU series (DP7, Psi Force, Star Brand, and Justice) basically go, "gently caress it!" and everything goes into the crapper thanks to people with super powers being out in the open. It actually makes for an interesting read. Also, they decided to give some weirdos who kept asking to write comics a chance because the NU was already dead and how badly can that guy from marketing gently caress it up? And if he turns out well, they can give him work on another dead book like the Hulk...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me that I really need to get around to revisiting the original Valiant universe

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ruddiger posted:

I mostly associate twitter with finding out my favorite artists passing away now. RIP Brian Ewing.

https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/1677034436808900608?s=20

This one hits hard. My wife and I are good friends with his friends that help him run his con booths and this one really hurts. We feared things had turned bad when Brian's partner basically stopped posting anything on social for the past week.

Dude was a delight and this really sucks poo poo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I bought my ticket (and my flight) to Baltimore Comic Con. I'm just going for the Saturday -- arriving early in the morning and flying home that evening. It has one of the best guest lists of creators I've ever seen at any convention, anywhere, so I'll be wheeling a good-sized piece of luggage full of books to get signed.

https://baltimorecomiccon.com/guests/

Bendis and Waid are the two biggest draws for me, after citing their work so heavily in that Daredevil article I wrote back in 2018. I met them both at cons here in Florida in the early 2000s, back when I barely owned any of their work and before either of them ever wrote Daredevil, but they both have a habit of canceling con appearances at the last minute in more recent years. I'm hoping for the best this time around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 8, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat that *is* a great list of creators! I might have to go this year

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Got the giant loving 1300 page version of Bone and Planet Hulk from the Detroit public library. Pretty hyped.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UwUnabomber posted:

Got the giant loving 1300 page version of Bone and Planet Hulk from the Detroit public library. Pretty hyped.

Hulk is always good. Didn't know he did a cross-over with Bone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just lent my ten year old niece the complete single volume of bone. Hope she enjoys it (and it takes her all summer to read)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I almost grabbed Bone the other day cus I am tangentially aware of its status as a classic, and it’s long and pretty cheap. What’s the tone like?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bone is excellent. Think classic Disney cartoons mixed with Lord of the Rings. At it's heart it's a kids story but there is a lot adults will like. There isn't really any cynicism but just great storytelling and a lot of heart. Think The Hobbit but with cute cartoon characters

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Bone is excellent. Think classic Disney cartoons mixed with Lord of the Rings. At it's heart it's a kids story but there is a lot adults will like. There isn't really any cynicism but just great storytelling and a lot of heart. Think The Hobbit but with cute cartoon characters

The biggest problem with Bone is there's this sudden shift in the middle where suddenly the threats and situation change to things that everyone knows about but have never come up before. It feels like there's a half dozen issues missing. It's not bad, it just doesn't really recover the momentum from that stumble until the very end.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Bone is a fun fantasy thing. It won't change your life but it is well told, compelling, very well illustrated, and will make you smile.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That sounds perfect my life has been kind of a disastrous unrelenting nightmare lately and I need some good escapism of exactly that character, and it seems like the big thick complete book can be had fairly cheaply too

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think there's a color version available, but it was originally done in B&W so you won't be missing out getting that. I think the single volume version has super thin paper. Fine for a moderately careful reading, but won't handle 12 seconds within 5 feet of a determined dog or child.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The library copy I got is in incredible shape for a library book in the children's section.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think there's a color version available, but it was originally done in B&W so you won't be missing out getting that. I think the single volume version has super thin paper. Fine for a moderately careful reading, but won't handle 12 seconds within 5 feet of a determined dog or child.

That’s fine with me, before I lost my job I accumulated a good number of extremely fragile old comic books that luckily neither dogs nor children have access to and I am happy with black and white, I actually think I often prefer to read things in their original format even if they were colorized later. Like Corto Maltese feels abstractly diminished by having been colorized in the second to most recent collections, whereas the more recent IDW ones retain that beautiful contrast Pratt built into them initially

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Madkal posted:

Think classic Disney cartoons mixed with Lord of the Rings.

Actually I think you'll find Bone has an interesting story.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Bone but I’d also recommend Jeff Smith’s RASL. Same great cartoony art but a darker sci fi story.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Bone is a top five comic of all time for me. It’s incredible. I love the shift in tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jordan7hm posted:

I love Bone but I’d also recommend Jeff Smith’s RASL. Same great cartoony art but a darker sci fi story.

Not for kids, though.