Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Negativity bias is also a thing. When your job is to have people pay attention to you and the quickest way to get that is through negative attention, that's how it will usually happen. You don't really hear about all the fairly normal, working people in the industry. Plus there's a lot of people in every industry above a certain weight class where it's obvious the pressure-- especially from a young age-- warps you into kind-of a shitburger human with more power than sense.

That said yeah it absolutely is the kids vulnerable to the abuse that tend to get ahead and end up with the more permanent scarring. I have way too many stories of people who got out of the industry because they wouldn't sleep with x, y, or z guy to advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I have to credit Comedy Central SNL reruns with getting me into David Bowie because I saw an episode with Tin Machine as the musical guest in the mid 90s after school one day lol

Sup, Bowie fan whose first point of entry was Tin Machine :hfive:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The most wholesome Hollywood child actor story is Haley Joel Osmont. Kid was arguably the biggest child star of the late 90s/early 00s. But his parents didn’t push him into it, and they always made sure it was his choice. And now he’s a well adjusted adult who shows up in bit parts doing a lot of comedy stuff and is a great podcast guest.

His story is probably the norm more often than we realize, it’s just that we only hear about the hosed up stuff because the media isn’t gonna sell ads next to an article titled “Young Sheldon is actually a pretty normal kid.” (Just an example, I know nothing of this kid outside of Big Little Lies.)

There definitely needs to be more accountability with child actors and especially their parents and any adults around them. I assume it’s gotten better in recent years but fame can easily ruin the psychology of a fully functional adult, let alone a child who doesn’t know anything else.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Mara Wilson had a decent story too, albeit with a bit of a shock in the middle that I think was what caused her to start doing her own online stuff alongside becoming a playwright. Her parents never wanted her to go into acting and she stopped when it stopped being fun, then had some fun cameos on channel awesome before that imploded due to Doug Walker et al being poo poo. She mentioned in a text interview that she actually advised Lindsey Lohan to stop when it feels right although she didn't listen, and that she accidentally wandered into a seedy corner of the internet where screenshots of her performances in A Simple Wish and similar movies ended up on a pedo foot-fetish website. She wasn't aware of what it was at the time though. Also she's the only member of the Shapiro family tree who's not a piece of poo poo (she's Ben and Abby's cousin)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Media that hasn't aged well: casting couch jokes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David s pumpkins is syphilis

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I only have a loose understanding of SNL, not being American, but the whole Samberg/Lonely Island set of content was pretty funny. Apparently they were not actually part of SNL, but the online faction? Or something?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lonely Island is a separate comedy group from SNL. They're also technically a band since their comedy albums are mostly songs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

I only have a loose understanding of SNL, not being American, but the whole Samberg/Lonely Island set of content was pretty funny. Apparently they were not actually part of SNL, but the online faction? Or something?

From the start SNL has done short films as part of its whole thing, not always every week but it's something they produce alongside the live content.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

David s pumpkins is syphilis
It was kismet at the exact right time. It's incredibly unfunny after the first pass.

well why not posted:

They were akin to contract workers, like Robert Smiegel with the TV Funhouse stuff in the 90s. They were hired to make prerecorded content. They were also the first type of studio that had a big online component, so that's why a lot of their stuff is so proto-YouTube.

Hot Rod has aged weirdly well when you know it's just The Lonely Island guys loving around with loose gestures towards recapturing Anchorman.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Wasn't Andy Samberg a proper member of the SNL cast while Jorma and Akiva were writers? That's my memory of Lonely Island on SNL, but maybe that's just how they were credited at the time for producing their own content.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MokBa posted:

Wasn't Andy Samberg a proper member of the SNL cast while Jorma and Akiva were writers? That's my memory of Lonely Island on SNL, but maybe that's just how they were credited at the time for producing their own content.

That's why I said "akin to" instead of "were." Samberg was a cast member and the Lonely Island crew did a lot of writing. They also had branded prerecorded content under their label as part of whatever deal they struck.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

That's why I said "akin to" instead of "were." Samberg was a cast member and the Lonely Island crew did a lot of writing. They also had branded prerecorded content under their label as part of whatever deal they struck.

Ah okay thanks for the explanation!

I just got done with a Brooklyn 9-9 rewatch, so I have Samberg on the mind. That’s a show that both has and has not held up very well. It’s incredibly funny and has a great cast of characters. But it definitely started at a time where it didn’t bother critiquing police at all. And as it goes, it becomes less “sitcom in a police station” and more “sitcom version of a police drama” because the characters are in mortal danger WAY more than real cops are. They’re almost getting killed once every few episodes, which just contributes to the myth that police have a really dangerous job and therefore are justified in resorting to any level of violence. That said, at least they never actually kill anyone, even when they would be well within their right to do so (because, again, the show constantly has organized criminals pointing guns at them). Andy Samberg’s character personally goes through so much trauma throughout the show that any real person with his history would need a lifetime of intensive therapy.

Making Captain Holt gay was a very inspired choice but also completely sets the tone for how unrealistic the show is. As it goes on, the writers are more cognizant of the problems with policing (especially the NYPD!) and it becomes “the detectives of the 9-9 are the only good and moral cops in the entire city”. They really try to have their cake and eat it too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I guess it’s better that they actually address those issues than not, so I can’t fault them for trying.

Anyway, sorry I did not form these thoughts as cohesively as I wanted to. It’s one of my favorite sitcoms of the 2010s, but I think a show about cops that is aimed at a liberal audience is going to end up a little memory holed as the years go on. It could have easily aged VERY badly (and plenty of moments in the first few seasons do) but I think in the end, they pulled off the balancing act.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You can watch B99 and follow where the writers' opinion of the police shift per-season. Also, if memory serves, Peralta never, ever shoots a criminal, and I don't think the others do either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

well why not posted:

You can watch B99 and follow where the writers' opinion of the police shift per-season. Also, if memory serves, Peralta never, ever shoots a criminal, and I don't think the others do either.

HE does wrongfully arrest someone due to a bad hunch in one episode though and the only problem the show displays with that is "Oh no, now we have to find evidence of something he may have done within 24 hours or we'll have to let him go, and that's a BAD thing."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Maxwell Lord posted:

From the start SNL has done short films as part of its whole thing, not always every week but it's something they produce alongside the live content.

I liked the Papyrus one with Ryan Gosling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The writers did at least acknowledge that B99 couldn't really go on after the cops killed George Floyd. And spent the last season really highlighting the problems with the US police, even having a detective quit because of the systemic racism.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Mara Wilson had a decent story too, albeit with a bit of a shock in the middle that I think was what caused her to start doing her own online stuff alongside becoming a playwright. Her parents never wanted her to go into acting and she stopped when it stopped being fun, then had some fun cameos on channel awesome before that imploded due to Doug Walker et al being poo poo. She mentioned in a text interview that she actually advised Lindsey Lohan to stop when it feels right although she didn't listen, and that she accidentally wandered into a seedy corner of the internet where screenshots of her performances in A Simple Wish and similar movies ended up on a pedo foot-fetish website. She wasn't aware of what it was at the time though. Also she's the only member of the Shapiro family tree who's not a piece of poo poo (she's Ben and Abby's cousin)

I found out that last bit because of the spaghetti post she made and it still amuses me. I'm glad she wound up alright.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alhazred posted:

The writers did at least acknowledge that B99 couldn't really go on after the cops killed George Floyd. And spent the last season really highlighting the problems with the US police, even having a detective quit because of the systemic racism.
A hilarious contrast to this is the show Elementary which responded to the Fergusson protests by pivoting 100% to full "Ooh rah cops cops cops cops cops cops". Including the borderline sociopath main character developing the ability to feel empathy for, and apparently exclusively for, dead cops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Also she's the only member of the Shapiro family tree who's not a piece of poo poo (she's Ben and Abby's cousin)

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1126244913467641856

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Having a fun time imagining Ben still sitting at the kids’ table at Thanksgiving in 2023, arguing hypotheticals about affirmative action with his six-year-old nephew.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Who would torture their child by allowing that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You know him and abby are at the kids table alone while a bunch of 5-18 year old family members hang out at the big table discussing actual problems. Much like Mara, they stopped when it stopped being fun. They stopped hanging out with him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alhazred posted:

I still think the last season should have just shifted to them all working in a fire department or something instead and just not said anything about the change

As it was it was a too little too late sort of thing that also wasn't particularly funny or good to watch

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Splicer posted:

A hilarious contrast to this is the show Elementary which responded to the Fergusson protests by pivoting 100% to full "Ooh rah cops cops cops cops cops cops". Including the borderline sociopath main character developing the ability to feel empathy for, and apparently exclusively for, dead cops.

gonna go ahead and take this show off my list it sounds like

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Flash had Jesse L Martin's character quit the cops around when all of that was going down. However they just added a new cop character for team Flash to work with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lady Radia posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 are solid, three is just worse in general and also where it crawls all the way up the NYPD's rear end. So maybe watch seasons 1 and 2 and go "well that was an ok show that ended quietly in May 2014". Or don't there's a lot of good shows out there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lady Radia posted:

It's a modern version of Sherlock Holmes. He works with and helps the cops from episode one, because that's the whole point of Sherlock Holmes. There's no point at which it suddenly decides cops are good. It's a good show, but it was pro-cop right from the start. That's the nature of the genre.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tiggum posted:

It's a modern version of Sherlock Holmes. He works with and helps the cops from episode one, because that's the whole point of Sherlock Holmes. There's no point at which it suddenly decides cops are good. It's a good show, but it was pro-cop right from the start. That's the nature of the genre.

Sherlock Holmes is supposed to think the cops are morons, with few exceptions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sweet geek swag posted:

Sherlock Holmes is supposed to think the cops are morons, with few exceptions.

His only friends, aside from Watson, are cops. His job is "guy who helps the cops". He is not, in any way, anti-cop.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tiggum posted:

His only friends, aside from Watson, are cops. His job is "guy who helps the cops". He is not, in any way, anti-cop.

He is not 'anti-cop.' But he does think they are morons. And most of his clients are not cops in the original stories, they are regular people.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He doesn't really work with the cops, so much as the idiot cops have to come to him when they can't solve a crime on their own.

IIRC he really only seeks them out on his own if he needs them to actually arrest somebody.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And anyway the cops consistently feed him fun puzzles to solve so of course he’s not going to stop hanging out with them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah in a couple iterations Holmes is the immediate first suspect by the police inspector Lestrade. Holmes calls him a dumbass in one book. He def works with cops mostly because they are the ones with the title that lets them uphold law, the only power that he doesn't have. They don't even like him or his methods until he proves himself, would you want some dude in a trench coat huffing cocaine and hovering around a crime scene?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 11, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

He is not 'anti-cop.' But he does think they are morons. And most of his clients are not cops in the original stories, they are regular people.

He also routinely decides to not involve the police after solving cases if he personally feels arresting and punishing the culprit would not be sufficiently just considering the circumstances.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't he also have his own intelligence gathering group of street urchins rather than deal with the police? While I get portraying him as being BFFs with the police, there's also a fair amount pointing to him thinking the police are bumbling idiots.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Baker Street Irregulars, yes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Holmes thinks almost everyone, with the exceptions of Mycroft and Irene Adler and Moriarty, are morons. He doesn’t really hold Watson up as especially smart either

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One day Gregor Samsa woke up in his bed to find himself transformed into a Ben Shapiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well the London PD is only like 50 years older than the character of Sherlock Holmes right? Figure there would've still been a healthy bit of skepticism on their efficacy.

Especially since when he was being written the cops were getting raked over Jack the Ripper.