Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Apone, middle aged, thick around the middle, in charge of a bunch of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm an acturian

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

That doesn't matter

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fireteam is still hitting the spot for me.

After maxing out Demo and it feels like Lancer is the better smartgun class for the way I want to play. Finally got the deep railed armature to drop.

Good news is it seems like I can equip both the demo and lancer heavy weapon improvement perks I unlocked and just be a monster with it, so geting Demo to VIII was hardly a waste.

My pals remain a restriction on my campaign progress, as I agreed to not outpace them. I can probably do the first mission blindfolded now lol.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Fireteam is still hitting the spot for me.

After maxing out Demo and it feels like Lancer is the better smartgun class for the way I want to play. Finally got the deep railed armature to drop.

Good news is it seems like I can equip both the demo and lancer heavy weapon improvement perks I unlocked and just be a monster with it, so geting Demo to VIII was hardly a waste.

My pals remain a restriction on my campaign progress, as I agreed to not outpace them. I can probably do the first mission blindfolded now lol.

If you need to keep repeating missions, just grind out hidden chests for all the extra guns and gear

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

redshirt posted:

Which Colonial Marine do you most identify with?

I feel like Wierzbowski.
I'm whoever their last lieutenant was before gorman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there some EU novella about the Nostromo science officer that got replaced by Ash at the last second?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there some EU novella about the Nostromo science officer that got replaced by Ash at the last second?

Nope, but I’ve been tempted to slap together some sort of darkly humorous fan fiction about him, how he’s on Thedus Station (the Nostromo’s departure point) and he’s having just the shittiest week ever, his girlfriend dumps him over video-phone, his boss chews him out, he wakes up sick with space-flu, he gets word that his cat passed away back on Earth, and to top it all off, he gets bumped off his ticket back home to Earth (the Nostromo) at the last minute and the next ship heading to earth with a vacant science officer spot isn’t leaving Thedus for 4 months. What a lovely week!

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I'm watching Alien right now with my oldest (18) son. He knows Ripley makes it and that's it.

He is enthralled, enough that he isnt playing on his phone at all.

We're watching Aliens next!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pratan posted:

I'm watching Alien right now with my oldest (18) son. He knows Ripley makes it and that's it.

He is enthralled, enough that he isnt playing on his phone at all.

We're watching Aliens next!

Good parent right here

E

Sorry if this was already posted

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-new-alien-movie-has-officially-wrapped-production/

The new 'Alien' movie has officially wrapped production

Production has officially concluded on the latest movie in the renowned Alien series, marking a return of the infamous xenomorphs to the silver screen after over half a decade. This development has sparked a surge of anticipation among fans who are eagerly awaiting another chilling tale in the iconic sci-fi horror franchise.

At the helm of this latest instalment is acclaimed director Fede Álvarez, recognised for his chilling contributions to the horror genre with standout hits such as Don’t Breathe and 2013’s well-received Evil Dead remake. While details about the plot remain shrouded in secrecy, we do know that the ensemble cast includes Cailee Spaeny, Isabela Merced, and David Jonsson.

The forthcoming movie is poised to stand independently from the franchise’s prequel narrative that Ridley Scott established over the past decade. This tactical approach may pave the way for new audiences to become captivated by a franchise that has held its ground for more than four decades.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 8, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, but I’ve been tempted to slap together some sort of darkly humorous fan fiction about him, how he’s on Thedus Station (the Nostromo’s departure point) and he’s having just the shittiest week ever, his girlfriend dumps him over video-phone, his boss chews him out, he wakes up sick with space-flu, he gets word that his cat passed away back on Earth, and to top it all off, he gets bumped off his ticket back home to Earth (the Nostromo) at the last minute and the next ship heading to earth with a vacant science officer spot isn’t leaving Thedus for 4 months. What a lovely week!

"Kick me off my ticket home at the last second? Let's see how these fuckers like me sending special order 937 to the tin can that got me stuck on this shitheap planet!" -Jim, former science officer of the Nostromo

BiggerBoat posted:

The forthcoming movie is poised to stand independently from the franchise’s prequel narrative that Ridley Scott established over the past decade. This tactical approach may pave the way for new audiences to become captivated by a franchise that has held its ground for more than four decades.

I mean I wasn't expecting any surviving Covenant cast members to return or for it to also be a prequel movie so isn't a surprise.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 8, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still will drop a "Marines! We are LEAVING!!" when something goes bad and I gotta get out of there.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

redshirt posted:

I still will drop a "Marines! We are LEAVING!!" when something goes bad and I gotta get out of there.

My son learned where "Express elevator to hell. Going down!" finally came from. I've been saying that to him since he was old enough to ride rollercoasters.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Whenever I brush my daughters teeth I always say Check dem corners - CHECK DEM CORNERS.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

We watched The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail tonight.

He's ready for college.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pratan posted:

We watched The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail tonight.

He's ready for college.

if nothing else he knows how to say Romans go home in Latin

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pratan posted:

He's ready for college.

But has he seen Predator? This is crucially important.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Prolly watched Terminator 2 instead.

YOU COULD BE MINE

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if nothing else he knows how to say Romans go home in Latin

That was Life of Brian, not Holy Grail.. the only thing he would have learned was the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

He needs to learn such jokes as:

"I was going down on my girlfriend the other day, and I look up at her and say "Jeez you got a big pussy! Jeez you got a big pussy!'

"Y'know... Cause of the echo"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fatrick posted:

That was Life of Brian, not Holy Grail.. the only thing he would have learned was the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow

African or European?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
His son's gonna be a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus in college.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

African or European?

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Whenever I brush my daughters teeth I always say Check dem corners - CHECK DEM CORNERS.

Why don't you put her in charge?!!

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, Predator 1 and 2 were done awhile ago.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Though Twitter continues to burn, some good posts yet remain:

https://twitter.com/Carapace777/status/1677848682027446272

(that guy's art rules btw)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was watching Aliens the other night, and I got to wondering about Ferro's death scene. I'd always noticed this odd bit of imagery on the closeup of the alien as it readies for the kill. I'd had assumed that the effect of it's drool got a bit out of hand, and a jet of it sprayed out because maybe the effects guys pressed a little too hard on the mechanism that forced it out. Upon repeated scrubbing through the scene though, it appears that one of the tubes on the side of the warrior aliens head that runs into the scalloped cutout on the side, seen below, seems to rise back up out of this depression for some reason.

Maybe the tube, apart from being detail on the aliens head, was a practical part of it and contained a cable for opening the mouth, or working the drool mechanism. Actuating it maybe caused it to flex up, like a brake cable on a bike can flex when the brakes are applied. Or maybe it was an actual effect integrated into the new warrior alien, that when it attacks the tubes shoot out of the holes in head, and we just never see it clearly elsewhere in the film. Anyone with any detailed knowledge of the effects know anything about this?

https://i.imgur.com/Ilw3Yo1.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fatrick posted:

He needs to learn such jokes as:

"I was going down on my girlfriend the other day, and I look up at her and say "Jeez you got a big pussy! Jeez you got a big pussy!'

"Y'know... Cause of the echo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bhVInwX-kg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just gave Dark Descent a play, and the way they mispronounce Otago really annoys me. It's the anglicised version of the Ngai Tahu word Otakou, and is most commonly translated to "where the red earth abounds," although there have been some arguments that it means "isolated village."

It's pronounced "Otah-go", not "Otay-go." loving get it right, jesus christ.

It's also bloody lovely, and its primary city, Dunedin, is exceedingly Scottish.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It's not that important when the Alien is eating your face.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Also new to me:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Plan R posted:

If you're going to appropriate a non-English word, the least you could do is pronounce it correctly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pronouncing it incorrectly is exactly what Weyland-Yutani staff would do.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pronouncing it incorrectly is exactly what Weyland-Yutani staff would do.

It was one of the Marines.

I know this is a minor thing, but gently caress me, this poo poo really gets up my nose.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Plan R posted:

I voted for the aliens-eating-my face party, how could this happen? They said they'd loosen restrictions on job creators like WY.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thinking about Alien instead of Aliens, and painting up the crew for the board game Flight of the Nostromo :unsmith:

Dallas is the only model left to work on, I’ll get to him later today :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My friend posited the following contrafactual:

Ripley sticks to her guns and doesn't go to Archeron with Burke and the Marines.

Biggest hinge point I think is the initial personal data trasmitter signal hive recon.

Ripley is the one who warns about AP weapons in the atmosphere processor. Ripley is the one who saves them from Gorman's indecision.

Likely outcome is they make the processor go critical even faster firing with even less discretion. No survivors of the initial assault or of the landing party.

Another outcome is everyone in the squad dies, leaving Gorman, Bishop and Burke but the processor is still a slow boil.

Say for maximum mayhem Ferro and Spunkmeyer don't crash. Gorman is a yes-man and Bishop was fine preserving specimens including one viable face hugger. Outcome Earth-hive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How did that Alien find the drop ship?

RIP Spunkmeyer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

redshirt posted:

How did that Alien find the drop ship?

RIP Spunkmeyer.

So according to the official maps, it would be a massive hike for an alien to reach where the dropship was landed from the atmospheric processor, which means it probably wasn't one that was woken up by the marines when they poked around the hive. But Newt said that the aliens "mostly come out at night" which means that there were still a few active aliens poking around even after the hive went into hibernation.

So the dropship crew was probably attacked by one of the aliens that was still out and about. Maybe they were being watched from the moment they arrived, with the aliens waiting for them to split up so they could attack them alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Bad quality but I found it in an Aliens FB group. :)