Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Most people both don't use and actively hate keyboard + mouse setups. It is inevitable that any and every UI will continue to trend to tablet-friendly streamlines.
We, the interpret and nerdy pioneers, suffer.

Many of here probably type, like, 100wpm or more. We're practiced and experienced with it.

Kids these days type like your parents did. 40-50wpm disasters. They did not grow up playing Quake.

This will dramatically change everything about how the internet is used. For a lot of people, it'll seem better. For us, it'll suck ridiculous donkey poo poo.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

VikingofRock posted:

Also, a lot of websites and apps have dynamic content which aims to be different each time you view the site. So if you ever navigate away from the page (even by accident), it's impossible to find the thing you were just looking at.

I want to find the person who invented infinite scrolling, throw them in a pit and then fill it with gravel.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'll gladly contribute a couple shovels.

Can we also throw the person in there who invented pinterest, and flooded google image search with harder to copy images that all link to pinterest?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Elder Postsman posted:

I want to find the person who invented infinite scrolling, throw them in a pit and then fill it with gravel.

He deeply regrets his invention and is very vocal about that fact

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Elder Postsman posted:

When you're done I want to piss in the gravel pit

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

Most people both don't use and actively hate keyboard + mouse setups. It is inevitable that any and every UI will continue to trend to tablet-friendly streamlines.

I think this is true of mass-marketed stuff, but I think any 'serious' software will continue to be actual software.

The interesting bit will be how the gap between 'mass marketed software' and 'production software' will widen more and more. Computer literacy has declined a ton since what I would perceive as it's peak around the mid 00s, but complex software is very powerful. To me, that suggests that computer touching will maybe become a more in-demand skill as time goes on?

dunno. It's very weird. But yeah, consumer software is loving tragic.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What does it mean when someone says "computer touching"? I've seen this term twice today now!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

What does it mean when someone says "computer touching"? I've seen this term twice today now!

It's what IT people call themselves when they pretend to have humility.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It means they touch a computer OP

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know, as opposed to touching grass.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I still have my Office 97 CD. Envy me.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

VikingofRock posted:

Replacing websites with apps means that half the time copy-paste doesn't work, and even on actual websites, it's disabled surprisingly often (although there at least you can use a browser extension to re-enable it).

Woah now, what the hell do you think you're thing to doing, pasting your bank account numbers from your password manager? Screw you, you can't possibly be doing that in correctly! You better flip back and forth between apps and hope you don't transpose any numbers like a normal person

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 10, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dunkin Donuts got too big. They forgot their roots.

Like, Dunking a Donut. They featured a donut with a donut handle, for dunking.
It was great.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

redshirt posted:

Dunkin Donuts got too big. They forgot their roots.

Like, Dunking a Donut. They featured a donut with a donut handle, for dunking.
It was great.

And yet when Rationale tried to open his donut shop in a murder shack, everybody poo poo all over him. He never would've forgotten his roots.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I miss a certain type of donut by a certain type of brand.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Spotify,

I used to have the ability to block a band from playing. Now I don’t. Maybe, just maybe, if you’re going to platform certain bands, give me the option to not have them come up on my recommendations or whatever.

Like let me literally tell your algorithm what I, undeniably, do NOT want to listen to. You can cater your recommendations far better if I tell you “I explicitly never want to hear anything from this band, ever, fullstop.”

How is this hard I am giving you data, why do this

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

teen witch posted:

Spotify,

I used to have the ability to block a band from playing. Now I don’t. Maybe, just maybe, if you’re going to platform certain bands, give me the option to not have them come up on my recommendations or whatever.

Like let me literally tell your algorithm what I, undeniably, do NOT want to listen to. You can cater your recommendations far better if I tell you “I explicitly never want to hear anything from this band, ever, fullstop.”

How is this hard I am giving you data, why do this

I haven’t subscribed to Spotify in a minute, but I reinstalled it to check something. If you navigate to an artist you loathe and click the “…” next to the Follow button, does it give you the option “Don’t play this artist”? Awful isn’t letting me embed the screengrab I took on my phone, but it has worked for me before. God, I hate when they move poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am certain Spotify's shuffle is not random. Looking it up, people suggest that disabling this "automix" thing makes shuffle random, but it doesn't. In a playlist with 70 hours of music, I shouldn't hear the same song three times in two hours. And that same song the next day. And the next.

e: I guess it's kind of been that way forever though, this isn't really new

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

I haven’t subscribed to Spotify in a minute, but I reinstalled it to check something. If you navigate to an artist you loathe and click the “…” next to the Follow button, does it give you the option “Don’t play this artist”? Awful isn’t letting me embed the screengrab I took on my phone, but it has worked for me before. God, I hate when they move poo poo.

It exists on mobile…and not on desktop. Let’s see if I keep getting loving Death in June regardless!!!!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's hot out goddamn

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

teen witch posted:

It exists on mobile…and not on desktop. Let’s see if I keep getting loving Death in June regardless!!!!!!

Are you serious? Why does Spotify have to suck so much?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shitify :grin:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Alan Smithee posted:

it's hot out goddamn

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I like that blocking individual songs on Spotify doesn't keep it from recommending it to you. I used to get who recommended playlists where nearly every song was blocked until I started doing artists instead and got off whatever terrible thing it lumped me in to.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

GolfHole posted:

We, the interpret and nerdy pioneers, suffer.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Computer literacy has declined a ton since what I would perceive as it's peak around the mid 00s, but complex software is very powerful. To me, that suggests that computer touching will maybe become a more in-demand skill as time goes on?

So I’ve been getting back into BBSing and other old-online stuff. Holy poo poo I can’t believe the poo poo I figured out in my early teens just to tell other kids than Sega Genesis is a better purchase than an SNES which costs more and has less pixelated gore. (loving idiot if you had one seriously)

Also old Unixy telnet forums and IRC. Imagine having to read a few pages of manuals just to shitpost effectively. The leap from internet addict/gamer to professional computer toucher will never ever be that narrow again.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Spotify has this new AI DJ feature and the poo poo it serves me is just trash. Mostly that new whiny rap stuff. I know they still make normal rap and music but I think that the royalties are cheaper so the AI likes to recommend swill.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Tarkus posted:

Spotify has this new AI DJ feature and the poo poo it serves me is just trash. Mostly that new whiny rap stuff. I know they still make normal rap and music but I think that the royalties are cheaper so the AI likes to recommend swill.

Spotify is largely owned by the record labels now, so they are largely in charge of who gets recommended into your streams.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

credburn posted:

This explains computer touching though narrative and example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKyPtnuh8bM

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tarkus posted:

Uh, how is"ai DJ" different from the old radio?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

steinrokkan posted:

It's not

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Youtube Music got an update and now I pay $10 a month to get echo chambered to music being advertised to me vs legitimate music discovery.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

The preference exists on mobile, but even if you toggle the preference on mobile it doesn't even apply your selection to PC (or anywhere else you listen to it, like a smart TV).

Still better than Pandora, though, gently caress that place. I was an original Pandora subscriber from when they were new and the only game in town. I spent over a decade perfectly curating several stations. Then they enshittified their algorithm. Want to listen to 80s hair metal sometimes, chill out with lowfi hip hop at other times, and play some Stick Figure while you cook dinner? Too bad, here are some some Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift songs crammed into every piano concerto and Mongolian throat singing station you have.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Do they wear headphones on the side as they turn records?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Defenistrator posted:

Youtube Music got an update and now I pay $10 a month to get echo chambered to music being advertised to me vs legitimate music discovery.

Maybe that will teach you a lesson about ever giving money to a tech company

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I just buy music sometimes and run a flac library in foobar on my desktop, and a 200 gb sd card which easily holds what I care about on my phone--which has an audio jack.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've switched back and forth between yearly apple music and spotify subs, and have been on apple music for the past 2 years. it sucks, but it has always sucked and has gotten no worse. spotify used to be good and got a lot worse.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know I haven't had Spotify for more than a couple of years. This DJ interjects with some DJ like commentary every 4 or 5 songs while basing most of it on your liked songs but mixing it up with other stuff.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

The preference exists on mobile, but even if you toggle the preference on mobile it doesn't even apply your selection to PC (or anywhere else you listen to it, like a smart TV).

Still better than Pandora, though, gently caress that place. I was an original Pandora subscriber from when they were new and the only game in town. I spent over a decade perfectly curating several stations. Then they enshittified their algorithm. Want to listen to 80s hair metal sometimes, chill out with lowfi hip hop at other times, and play some Stick Figure while you cook dinner? Too bad, here are some some Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift songs crammed into every piano concerto and Mongolian throat singing station you have.

:haibrower:

IMO Pandora was the first online service to poo poo itself up to uselessness. It got to the point where it insisted on playing Modest Mouse in every single one of my playlists, even all instrumental electronica stations I had curated for years and years.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrower:

IMO Pandora was the first online service to poo poo itself up to uselessness. It got to the point where it insisted on playing Modest Mouse in every single one of my playlists, even all instrumental electronica stations I had curated for years and years.

For me it was the Beatles and CCR, neither of which I want to hear on my speed metal and movie soundtrack playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tarkus posted:

I don't know I haven't had Spotify for more than a couple of years. This DJ interjects with some DJ like commentary every 4 or 5 songs while basing most of it on your liked songs but mixing it up with other stuff.

Chris that sounds awful.