Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I've got like the only black character in the game. Wtf guys black people exist in 40k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

celewign posted:

I've got like the only black character in the game. Wtf guys black people exist in 40k

One of the characters for the new premium cosmetics this week (the Zealot's) has they/them pronouns.

Diversity win! The mass murdering religious zealot of a theofascist empire is nonbinary!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

One of the characters for the new premium cosmetics this week (the Zealot's) has they/them pronouns.

Diversity win! The mass murdering religious zealot of a theofascist empire is nonbinary!

This is the awful part of people (Games Workshop?) seeing the Imperium as the good guys/least bad guys, rather than just as the main point of view of the story

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Haven’t non-binary techpriests been a thing for a while, though I’m not sure if that’s a diversity thing or just being a in a sexless robo body sci-fi thing

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have never heard this music before, I hope it shows up in a chaos waste style warp area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWD4K1WFICs

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Haven’t non-binary techpriests been a thing for a while, though I’m not sure if that’s a diversity thing or just being a in a sexless robo body sci-fi thing

There are surely Slaanesh devotees that don't have single genders.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Was curious whether there's any consensus on a 'best' class to play: in particular I mean something with the potential for the greatest influence on a mission success, versatility in handling enemies, highest chance of comeback from downed teammates, carrier of bad pubbies, etc. I'm new to the game, having a lot of fun testing out each class but not having any particular favorites and was just looking for a potential inclination to start with, since usually I do just like to pick something that is lacking on the team or benefits/supports the most. As an example, I was enjoying Ogryn but I feel so reliant on teammates to take out ranged specials and, well, they're really bad at it, so I was feeling that I might need to pick a more versatile class so I can fill in any lacking gap in the team rather than being stuck in a certain role. Feel like it might be Veteran? Though it might be the case where every class is lacking in a certain thing so synergy and diversity is the best, so it might be a silly question.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 9, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Veteran or Zealot can carry the hardest. With that said I don't currently play either and there are times I manage to carry a team to victory as Ogryn or Psyker.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

celewign posted:

For the longest time GW's properties were really ethnocentric (because they started out as a bunch of UK nerds reselling D&D miniatures), where depictions of non-European factions in stuff like Warhammer Fantasy were extremely shallow and in some cases downright insulting

When I first got into 40k around 2002-ish I ended up picking Catachan guardsmen to paint and play because as far as I could tell they were the only faction that bothered to depict mixed races in their art and models:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Was curious whether there's any consensus on a 'best' class to play: in particular I mean something with the potential for the greatest influence on a mission success, versatility in handling enemies, highest chance of comeback from downed teammates, carrier of bad pubbies, etc. I'm new to the game, having a lot of fun testing out each class but not having any particular favorites and was just looking for a potential inclination to start with, since usually I do just like to pick something that is lacking on the team or benefits/supports the most. As an example, I was enjoying Ogryn but I feel so reliant on teammates to take out ranged specials and, well, they're really bad at it, so I was feeling that I might need to pick a more versatile class so I can fill in any lacking gap in the team rather than being stuck in a certain role. Feel like it might be Veteran? Though it might be the case where every class is lacking in a certain thing so synergy and diversity is the best, so it might be a silly question.

kruber

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FutureCop posted:

It's Zealot, no question. You have an adequate shooting kit, and you have a ton of survivability tools and the best grenade in the game to prevent a wipe.

Thankfully, no class is head and shoulders above any other at this point, but a good Zealot feels very powerful in making sure the mission gets done when poo poo goes south.

I will acknowledge that a good vet is like a good referee - invisible for the most part and everything just works. However they have far less tools to recover from a bad spot unlike the Zealot.

It's almost a 1, 1a type situation.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I agree on Zealot, but all four classes carry pretty regularly. Psyker is probably the hardest to do it with simply because you don't have any good tools for reviving people safely (on your own, at least; you can cover for somebody else doing the revive).

e: It's a good sign about the balance of this game that I pretty much never look at a lineup and go "I wish we had an X," but one of the few times I do is when the whole team is Psykers and Vets. Not having anybody who can charge into a horde and win makes the run a lot more fragile.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 9, 2023

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

A class stacked zealot team is a sight to behold, just zoomin around with hammers and poo poo, taking turns healing on hordes anytime they get hurt, you can't outpace your team when everyone's trying their hardest to do the same to you.
A class stacked vet team melts the moment they get pressed in melee, but up until that point it does feel like walking through the level and mowing down hordes with your buddies.
But missing a vet on a team is probably the biggest QoL loss in having more reliable shooter shooting and ammo/grenade regen or shared elite-o vision

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think we can hope for a resurgence of the game when they release the console version. Surely they will use the chance to 'relaunch' the game, calling 2.0 update or whatever. September and October are stacked months, so maybe it will happen by November or December.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

FutureCop posted:

Zealot sure has the best survivability in almost all situations, but a good Vet especially bolter one will basically delete everything all the time and can carry extremely well up until LMS situations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Plasma gun vet > bolter vet imo.

FutureCop posted:

To throw my two cents in: agreed that Zealot on best come back, but Ogryn is a pretty close second imo. If you haven't unlocked the Grognum Stubber yet lemme tell you you can delete packs of shooters and reach out and touch specials at long range. Just about the only thing you can't kill quickly is Crushers but you can chain stagger them.

That said you really need to get Psyker to level 30 for them to shine, but really all the classes are fairly well balanced and have good niches.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Turin Turambar posted:

I think we can hope for a resurgence of the game when they release the console version. Surely they will use the chance to 'relaunch' the game, calling 2.0 update or whatever. September and October are stacked months, so maybe it will happen by November or December.

Hopefully after a year maybe we'll have a stable game that's on par with Vermintide 2 in terms of features

But then also Space Marine 2 is releasing by end of year (hopefully), and it has Coop based in the WWZ engine against Not-Nurgle, so....

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 10, 2023

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
4 vets is hands down the best team comp in the game. Damage = utility.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Typical Pubbie posted:

4 vets is hands down the best team comp in the game. Damage = utility.

In that case you’d want 3 vets and a psyker. +10% elite damage and a 15% ult cooldown reduction per elite kill is going to mean more team damage when it really matters.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
4 Vets is a really smooth experience of just gunning down every last thing in the level systemically, but if anything goes wrong it really goes wrong.

Game is a completely difference experience between 0 and 1 veteran's on a team, so many guns are incredibly ammo hungry especially for Ogyn's and just 1 or 2 people with a ammo eater will turn the game into a resource scarce experience.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Veterans have an AoE knockdown grenade and one of the best melee weapons in the Power sword. Any struggles they're having when brawling usually comes from from an "I'm a Ranged DPS Main Only" mindset. Or being a Camo build with tunnel vision on their gunsights who hasn't noticed a fuckup in progress and their aggro being turned back on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vet is a very good class but four vets is a recipe for disaster, I'd much rather have a front line for hordes than another gun.

Senethro posted:

Veterans have an AoE knockdown grenade and one of the best melee weapons in the Power sword. Any struggles they're having when brawling usually comes from from an "I'm a Ranged DPS Main Only" mindset. Or being a Camo build with tunnel vision on their gunsights who hasn't noticed a fuckup in progress and their aggro being turned back on.

The Power Sword is a crutch but a solid one and also lmao at calling it the best weapon in the game. Zealot and Ogryn both have better weapons that do the exact same job except you have better stamina for pushing and don't have to waste time charging up a sword to do meaningful damage.

The struggle that does happen is when you get surrounded and can't afford to bring out a grenade without losing a large chunk of health, and no good on demand emergency buttons like Zealot and Ogryn have. That and Bulwarks, which stop you from cleaving hordes or ragers trying to mulch your face.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The surprising thing about an all vet comp is that it's actually ammo efficient compared to most compositions. Vets deal more damage per bullet on average (so they spend ammo more efficiently), they have a bigger ammo reserve, and their aura gives them and their teammates ammo as a reward for killing elites. That last bonus has a substantial compounding effect with 3-4 vets on the team, since it's easy to stay in coherency when you're killing everything at range.

The real poverty comp for ammo is all zealots, or zealots and ogryns. My last game with that comp ended with everyone completely out of ammo as we ran for the drop ship.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If anything goes wrong with 3 or 4 vets on the team it compounds VERY quickly.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Things go wrong more often for comps that have to rely on melee. Like I'm picturing a zealot with 1% health, dodging and weaving 25 meters ahead of me. He just aggroed a new wave of enemies while we're busy cleaning up the previous mob. Half of the new wave is dropping down on us from the platform above. The director has decided to go nuts and spawn 5 disablers and 3 mutants from all directions.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 10, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

The surprising thing about an all vet comp is that it's actually ammo efficient compared to most compositions. Vets deal more damage per bullet on average (so they spend ammo more efficiently), they have a bigger ammo reserve, and their aura gives them and their teammates ammo as a reward for killing elites. That last bonus has a substantial compounding effect with 3-4 vets on the team, since it's easy to stay in coherency when you're killing everything at range.

The real poverty comp for ammo is all zealots, or zealots and ogryns. My last game with that comp ended with everyone completely out of ammo as we ran for the drop ship.

Had a 3 Ogryn, 1 Psyker comp on drat HI STG the other night. We had massive ammo issues for sure, it sucked, and we wiped.

As a related note, if anyone can recommend a good Ogryn shield guide video I'd be interested to see it. Seems to me that it could work if you play super aggro with charges to then plant the shield and soak all the ranged fire so your teammates can handle the killing - but what mostly happens in games where someone else is running that setup is they just bash around slowly and they are just bad a killing things??? I run Bull Butcher + Gorgonum like the emperor intended but if I could see a shield setup working I might try it out.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Things go wrong more often for comps that have to rely on melee. Like I'm picturing a zealot with 1% health, dodging and weaving 25 meters ahead of me. He just aggroed a new wave of enemies while we're busy cleaning up the previous mob. Half of the new wave is dropping down on us from the platform above. The director has decided to go nuts and spawn 5 disablers and 3 mutants from all directions.

As a Zealot, I find my worst matches are with Vets who keep backing up and walking away from the wave, slowly doubling back and refusing to push while pew pewing enemies they could easily kill with melee if they just took their weapon out.

(this has been a joke post please do not take it seriously)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mendrian posted:

As a Zealot, I find my worst matches are with Vets who keep backing up and walking away from the wave, slowly doubling back and refusing to push while pew pewing enemies they could easily kill with melee if they just took their weapon out.

(this has been a joke post please do not take it seriously)

I tend to do this, but usually it’s to get an angle on ranged enemies so they stop shooting up my melee peeps.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Had a 3 Ogryn, 1 Psyker comp on drat HI STG the other night. We had massive ammo issues for sure, it sucked, and we wiped.

As a related note, if anyone can recommend a good Ogryn shield guide video I'd be interested to see it. Seems to me that it could work if you play super aggro with charges to then plant the shield and soak all the ranged fire so your teammates can handle the killing - but what mostly happens in games where someone else is running that setup is they just bash around slowly and they are just bad a killing things??? I run Bull Butcher + Gorgonum like the emperor intended but if I could see a shield setup working I might try it out.

The shield is legit now after the buffs, you go bleed build X-3-3-1-2-2. You can manage hordes properly now, heavy attacks stagger every enemy except for monstrosities so even if you can't kill crushers quickly you can make them not a problem.

Planting your shield is a trap btw unless there's just so many shooters and they're only in front of you, or it's a monstrosity you're trying to tank. Better to use the regular block to walk towards shooters closer up and force them into melee before attacking.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

It was only this last patch that gave them enough damage to be viable so the guides don't exist. And with Fatshark stating there's already a rework in progress, not sure if any will exist for the current version.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best plasma is going to look like volatile/blaze away and 25% vs maniac and max stopping power/damage/ammo with decent mid roll thermal resist/charge rate yeah?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Best plasma is going to look like volatile/blaze away and 25% vs maniac and max stopping power/damage/ammo with decent mid roll thermal resist/charge rate yeah?

I would do Glory Hunter instead of Blaze Away personally. I've come around a bit back to Blaze Away now that they've made it more consistent on full auto guns but I dunno if I'd use it on Plasma? Gloryhunter or Gets Hot! are what I would use probably.

I haven't tested it at all though, my main concern is that it'd be too awkward or that holding a charge shot would cause it to drop off or something potentially.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Stopping power is just stagger, right? Or is this one of those situations where a stat with the same name does different things?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Senethro posted:

Stopping power is just stagger, right? Or is this one of those situations where a stat with the same name does different things?

Majority of Stopping Power stats actually do have an effect on damage, though of course it can vary and you'll want to double check on a gun if you're unsure.

In Plasma's case it does matter for damage.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
My problem with Plasma is that yah, the magazine is huge, but you can only get 7 or so shots off before you're at max thermals and then the "fastest" way to get that down is a torturously long reload. When I use plasma I feel like I spend half the mission reloading despite the big magazine. Yah you can vent if you just need to squeeze out a couple more shots but otherwise that doesn't seem any faster. Am I missing something?

Despite that I have used it a fair amount since the first 380 weapon I ever got was a plasma gun, and it IS nice being able to melt crushers, sometimes in a single shot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Venting ever since the big changes made it so it eats your toughness instead of your health and since each tick of venting only does 10 toughness damage when you have 200+ toughness it means venting is basically free and you can charged shot to 100% > vent to 80% > charged shot back to 100%, though the venting will eat into your firing time.

Plasma feels good from just trying it out, but it is a incredibly ammo hungry gun, you WILL run into ammo issues if you have anyone else chugging ammo packs, been a long time since I played veteran and went to 0 ammo on high intensity.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Elem7 posted:

My problem with Plasma is that yah, the magazine is huge, but you can only get 7 or so shots off before you're at max thermals and then the "fastest" way to get that down is a torturously long reload. When I use plasma I feel like I spend half the mission reloading despite the big magazine. Yah you can vent if you just need to squeeze out a couple more shots but otherwise that doesn't seem any faster. Am I missing something?

Despite that I have used it a fair amount since the first 380 weapon I ever got was a plasma gun, and it IS nice being able to melt crushers, sometimes in a single shot.

I'm sort of just echoing what RRR has said but to make it more explicit: you should not be reloading your Plasma Gun until everything is dead or it's empty and needs to be reloaded to fire again. With the venting changes it's trivial to vent at high heats down to a safe heat range before you fire again, and if you're using Exhilarating Takedown (you should be) killing at least one special means you gain back whatever toughness you would have lost to venting instantly. More than one special/elite kill and you can laugh off shooters too.

I personally prefer The Bigger They Are as my level 30 feat with Plasma, ensuring one shots on crushers and reapers every time with a charged shot in volley fire makes a big difference. Reduces the number of body shots as well if you don't have good angles, and it's never not funny deleting a Monstrosities health bar.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While testing out the plasma gun I had a pretty nuts 5 minutes which shadowplay perfectly captured so decided to upload it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_NDpeNL2U0

I want to get more stamina curio's on my psyker now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FYI, you can shave 2.5 seconds off the Plasma reload by animation canceling. Briefly dash right after the tank is unscrewed and again after it's screwed back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Volatile + Blaze Away or Gets Hot + Blaze Away for the plasma?