Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tae posted:

Rockets, what the gently caress

he's annoying but the rockets aren't spending that money on anything else and he's an actual nba player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any of you folks know anything about this Moses Brown fella? He had a nice game in summer league, although apparently Chicago sent out a pretty undersized lineup according to the writeup I read

A third string center.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

he's annoying but the rockets aren't spending that money on anything else and he's an actual nba player

Does Dillon Brooks play the 3-4? The Rockets have a logjam of guards between FVV/Green/Thompson/KPJ/Whitmore.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any of you folks know anything about this Moses Brown fella? He had a nice game in summer league, although apparently Chicago sent out a pretty undersized lineup according to the writeup I read

the d&d mod?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Forrest on Fire posted:

Does Dillon Brooks play the 3-4? The Rockets have a logjam of guards between FVV/Green/Thompson/KPJ/Whitmore.

he plays small forward yes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paracaidas posted:

Some folks (myself included) have thought that this is the league starting slow and once the tournament is more established, throwing guaranteed playin spots or a lottery entry into the mix as well.

I think a reasonable one would be that winning it is an automatic tie breaker for all things lottery and playoff seeding if you are tied in record with another team

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Didn’t we all collectively gnash our teeth at the play-ins, which is thought to be perfectly fine now?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CoolRanch posted:

Didn’t we all collectively gnash our teeth at the play-ins, which is thought to be perfectly fine now?
I still dislike those, and I think this is much worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CoolRanch posted:

A lot of the same people who complained about the play in are concerned about this, yes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
To me it's crazy that Leo Miller didn't get drafted in the first round.

A guy with those tools with touch like that, just because he's not a center?? and because he can't take guys off the dribble? sometimes you have to look past the archetype and just see the guy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is largely whatever lol.

I'm not like champing at the bit for it, but like also, it's just literally one more game for 2 teams lol.

It's not worth getting worked up about.

It's just a marketing exercise for the league lol.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Yeah, the only change besides the extra game for 2 teams is the different graphics packages on random regular season games. TNT will have to add "In Season Tournament Game" somewhere to some overlays. It's a weird thing to explain at the start since it seems like it's some huge change, but really it's just some regular games labeled something else...and a single bonus game.

Gives folks more people to talk about and debate and yell about, A+, content is king.

Skip in 8 months: "Does sitting out of this In-Season Tournament Game HURT Lebron's legacy??!?"

Fake edit: They need a drat catchy name for it though, typing "In-Season Tournament" every time stinks!

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I thought the play-in was a great idea at first and still do! I thought the in-season thing was dumb at first but am considering that it may be fun. Why not care a little more about early season games?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Just let the winners of the tournament wear the WWF king of the ring gear during pregame introductions and the other team needs to prostrate during them, why is this so hard, GOD.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The MVP of the in season tournament playoff should be eligible for a super super max

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

The MVP of the in season tournament playoff should be eligible for a super super max

Embiid is already on a super max.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The in-season tournament will also have separate jerseys and court designs, so I think that will give it a fun flavor.

I’m surprised they didn’t wait till after the Super Bowl to do it. That seems like when tanking goes into effect and the hope would be this serves as an anti-tanking measure.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Chronicles posted:

I thought the play-in was a great idea at first and still do! I thought the in-season thing was dumb at first but am considering that it may be fun. Why not care a little more about early season games?

I've also been pretty high on the play-in, but I think your question contains the answer: why indeed care more about these early season games? If the games had some sort of win multiplier, or had additional draft implications, then sure there would be reason to care. But as I understand it, they're just regular games with some additional overlays in the broadcast. Teams already have like 4 different uniforms, additional kits are cool but hardly make the outcome of a game matter more or less.

Idk, it all feels very astroturfed to me, like the league just saying "Care more about these random games" by fiat.

The tourney final game will be interesting for the chance for minimum players to get like a 20%-50% salary bonus, but unless every tourney game has some sort of cash/other additional incentive I'm not sure why I'd care more than any other game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Which West teams have not improved in the offseason?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Play-in sucked when the Heat were about to lose against the Bulls but was fun when they beat the Bucks in the first round.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Strawberry Panda posted:

Play-in sucked when the Heat were about to lose against the Bulls but was fun when they beat the Bucks in the first round.

Yeah that ruled

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, LAC, maybe the Pels

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Phoenix and Dallas I would say improved

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

IcePhoenix posted:

Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, LAC, maybe the Pels

I feel like Dallas has at least slightly improved unless you really believe in Wood.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Nuggets, clippers, wolves? Kings maybe? Blazers in the short term. Did the Pelicans do anything?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wolves have a better bench and healthy Towns, but I guess healthy player probably doesn't count since he was healthy to start the season last year too.

Dallas is better because they have their team actually set to start the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Wolves have a better bench and healthy Towns, but I guess healthy player probably doesn't count since he was healthy to start the season last year too.

Dallas is better because they have their team actually set to start the season.

I was just counting the upgrade from the Wolves bench as "improved" yeah, not factoring injuries into any of them.

Similarly, I didn't count Kyrie starting the season with Dallas as an improvement either, he was there before he's still there now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I've also been pretty high on the play-in, but I think your question contains the answer: why indeed care more about these early season games? If the games had some sort of win multiplier, or had additional draft implications, then sure there would be reason to care. But as I understand it, they're just regular games with some additional overlays in the broadcast. Teams already have like 4 different uniforms, additional kits are cool but hardly make the outcome of a game matter more or less.

Idk, it all feels very astroturfed to me, like the league just saying "Care more about these random games" by fiat.

The tourney final game will be interesting for the chance for minimum players to get like a 20%-50% salary bonus, but unless every tourney game has some sort of cash/other additional incentive I'm not sure why I'd care more than any other game.

People give a poo poo about the CarQuest Bowl, sports and sports fans are dumb and want to care about even arbitrary stuff. It’s fun

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also more tourny chat.

The pool games I'm guessing most fans won't even realize it's pool play during the games. Those will just be regular games, maybe a couple teams will push hard just because. The knockout part I think will have some juice. Some teams may not care but I think the idea of sending other guys home will add something for most guys.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I don't care about the tourney either way but I've come around to the play-in being good and fun chaos so we'll see.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/notdariennn/status/1677818439526670336?s=46

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I feel like Grant Williams is a pretty significant addition for dallas

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/JaMorant/status/1677871326524997634?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/localsoundwave/status/1678094716800315393?s=46

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Yamesishere/status/1678095389101096960?t=dmwrORU-F-cbdcQ8nfs3VA&s=19

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

To me it's crazy that Leo Miller didn't get drafted in the first round.

A guy with those tools with touch like that, just because he's not a center?? and because he can't take guys off the dribble? sometimes you have to look past the archetype and just see the guy
He's raw as poo poo (small Canadian HS hoops), the shot is janky (depsite the great touch), and he's got a bit of the Kyle Anderson unique pace and flow to him and it's not necessarily a compliment. I have to guess some teams were turned off early.

If he continues to learn the fundamentals on the offensive and defensive end and can rework the shot, he could be a starter and even a top-3/top-4 guy on a finals team. If he doesn't, he's an energy big on the bench who'll grab a board or three. I'd take that over a number of this year's first rounders, but he's the epitome of a draft pick who gets a GM fired.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

More like Royce White Power

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Something cool happening in sports in mid-november is a welcome and good change

Of course, if the players dgaf about winning the IST, then it'll be a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The tournament will be cool if players care. If players do not care, it will not be cool. That is the entire equation.