Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ras Het posted:

lol I took a six hour train in Sweden last year and the restaurant car's card machines were broken and Sweden is the most anti-cash country in the world, so the only option was Swish. Which I don't have, because Finland also has it's own country specific system, MobilePay (although that one is developed by DanskeBank so maybe, just maybe, it could also work in Denmark)

You're in luck, it's also the standard in DK.

Mobilepay was a lot of fun back when you could look up politicians' personal phone numbers by trying to send them a couple kroner- Fixed now, for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

kind of a dumb question, but anyways: we're heading to vienna in a few days, and as I understand it, austria is still a place where cash is preferred every so often. so, coming from a country where I literally never pay with cash, are safe-ish ATMs (indoors, frequently monitored for skimming equipment, etc) easy to come by there?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

ulvir posted:

kind of a dumb question, but anyways: we're heading to vienna in a few days, and as I understand it, austria is still a place where cash is preferred every so often. so, coming from a country where I literally never pay with cash, are safe-ish ATMs (indoors, frequently monitored for skimming equipment, etc) easy to come by there?

I was in Vienna in April, and ATMs were pretty common throughout the city, either standalone or in those little rooms with a whole bunch of them. :)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I've traveled quite a bit in Europe and Vienna was the only place where I've ever seen a skimming device in the wild. But that was more than 10 years ago.

As we discussed before in this thread, skimming devices have been extinct now for many years in Europe thanks to the ubiquity of chip&pin.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I was just in Vienna from Sunday through Wednesday. Every restaurant we ate at and every museum we went to asked "card or cash?". I only went to an ATM on the morning we left for the airport, so I had cash to give the taxi driver.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I miss Vienna what a great city

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Everyone's still a cold rear end in a top hat there.

But the museums make up for it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ty for the replies, I managed to extract money from ATMs in the middle of the old town in florence in 2016 without issue, so sounds like vienna'll be a breeze, too

WaryWarren posted:

as a scandinavian, this sounds extremely like my style

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

But the museums make up for it.

that doesn't bother me I live in Los Angeles where people get out of their cars and randomly beat on other cars for no reason cold assholes are a step up

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My understanding is that if you go to the ATMs attached to Post Office's in Italy, they don't charge any fees - meaning the only fees and charges you will pay are those charged by your own bank

We got money out today in Capri and weren't charged any fees :)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

kiimo posted:

that doesn't bother me I live in Los Angeles where people get out of their cars and randomly beat on other cars for no reason cold assholes are a step up

You'll enjoy Paris!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm considering visiting Berlin by train in September.

But usually I get bored after a couple days in the same place, even if there's plenty to see. And I'll probably have about a week to travel around.

Do you have any suggestions of other places I could spend a few days? Anywhere within a few hours by train is fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How many is few for you, cause right now that's every major city in Germany and a fair amount of surrounding countries :v:

e: 7-8 hours gets you to Amsterdam just to name one tourist hotspot as an example

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 9, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hamburg is a nice place, only two hours by train. skip hannover, that’s kind of a dreary shithole (mostly because it was completely obliterated by bombshells during the war)

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
Leipzig fuckin rules.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What's driving like on Sicily? Is it at least a little bit less terrifying than the mainland?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Julio Cruz posted:

What's driving like on Sicily? Is it at least a little bit less terrifying than the mainland?

Worse.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Palermo was pretty hectic, it’s probably the first and only time in Europe I’ve felt like I was driving in the developing world. Definitely worse than places like Bulgaria or rural Romania where you can round a freeway corner and encounter a horse-drawn cart occupying your lane.

Outside of Palermo I actually thought it was pretty fine? We drove a clockwise loop around the island starting and finishing in Catania, and other Palermo the biggest issue was waiting 2 hours for our rental car - the only other auto available was a 12 seater van which, yeah.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Completely fine outside of big cities. If you’re worried about it just pick up and drop off your car at the airport or make sure your pickup and drop off are late evening or on Sunday so you don’t have to deal with traffic as much; that’s what I did for years before gradually getting enough experience to no longer care.

I think my favorite Palermo driving experience was a six-lane roads meeting at an intersection with a four-lane road with no light, so all the cars going N-S and E-W had to just drive through simultaneously and interleave with one another to eventually get where they wanted to go. I’ve done a lot of third world driving by now but that was still a spectacularly lol moment.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm considering visiting Berlin by train in September.

But usually I get bored after a couple days in the same place, even if there's plenty to see. And I'll probably have about a week to travel around.

Do you have any suggestions of other places I could spend a few days? Anywhere within a few hours by train is fine.

What are you interested in? Culture? Nightlife? Nature? Food? Do you speak German?

Depending on your interests, there are lots of places that could be an option, even within a +/- 2h train radius.

There is a neat visualization here: https://www.chronotrains.com/en/station/2950159-Berlin/2

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hollow Talk posted:

What are you interested in? Culture? Nightlife? Nature? Food? Do you speak German?

Depending on your interests, there are lots of places that could be an option, even within a +/- 2h train radius.

There is a neat visualization here: https://www.chronotrains.com/en/station/2950159-Berlin/2

Culture and history, but I like nature walks as well (but not if it's raining).

I can understand some German and if someone doesn't speak English I can make myself understood if I really need to but I'm not very good at it.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Carbon dioxide posted:

I can understand some German and if someone doesn't speak English I can make myself understood if I really need to but I'm not very good at it.

Dresden was fun for me and is near a national park called Sächsische Schweiz--Saxon Switzerland. The rock formations are like Utah, but in a forest. (No arches, though.) It's neat!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Holy poo poo that place looks amazing

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably okay in the larger cities, but going to Sachsen does introduce a "how non-German do you look" factor into the decision making process.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Relatively obvious (since you can get there via local train or S-Bahn from Berlin) is Potsdam, which has lovely gardens (Sanssouci & Neuer Garten), and as far as history is concerned, you also get things like Glienicker Brücke (where spies were exchanged during the Cold War) and a bunch of remnants of Imperial Germany, as well as things like the Potsdam Conference. The city has been extensively renovated the last two or so decades, and it's really very lovely. There is also a film studio (Filmpark Babelsberg), but that's probably only really fun with children.

Dresden is another good choice for culture and history, with lovely churches and some excellent art museums. The opera building (Semperoper) is quite famous as well.

If you want something smaller and care about German classicism, Weimar is also rather pretty, and full of Goethe and Schiller stuff. If you are interested in Nazi things, Weimar can also be combined with visting the KZ Buchenwald, which is just outside the city. Alternatively, Erfurt isn't much further -- the city centre and cathedral are both very nice and there are some nice medieval corners (though the areas outside the city centre look decidedly more East Bloc-ish).

For another big city, Hamburg is good fun. The harbour is nice, you can do things like Miniaturwunderland, and it has a lot of hanseatic flair. There's a lot to see here.

If you are up for a bit of nature and maybe a boat tour, the Spreewald (around Lübbenau) is quaint and relaxed, and also not too far away. If you are instead interested in somethig less quaint and more industrial, a bit further east, you can instead take a tour through an active open pit coal mine in Welzow.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably okay in the larger cities, but going to Sachsen does introduce a "how non-German do you look" factor into the decision making process.

This is unfortunately kind of true. Shouldn't be an issue in Dresden or Leipzig etc., but this might be a factor in more rural areas. Otherwise, it might be this:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How is anything historic in Dresden still standing

edit:

Greg12 posted:

Sächsische Schweiz--Saxon Switzerland. The rock formations are like Utah, but in a forest. (No arches, though.) It's neat!

This place might be the closest I've seen as a real life Star Wars planet

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 12, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

If you want something smaller and care about German classicism, Weimar is also rather pretty, and full of Goethe and Schiller stuff.
And Bauhaus!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Indeed! I was thinking about mentioning Dessau as well for Bauhaus proper (as well as the Meisterhäuser), but you have to be quite into architecture, since there isn't much else to look at there, and it's a bit out of the way, too! :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I decided to book a couple days in Hamburg because I've not been there yet. :)

Depending on how I'm feeling and what I want to do while I'm there I may use your tips for some day trips as well.

It's not like Germany is far away, I don't care if I "miss" any must-see, I can always just go back.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Depending on how I'm feeling and what I want to do while I'm there I may use your tips for some day trips as well.

It's not like Germany is far away, I don't care if I "miss" any must-see, I can always just go back.

:toot:

Also, you can go up into the Elbphilharmonie, which is a really cool building, and which grants you lovely views of the harbour and its surroundings: https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/plaza#besuch

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Thanks to the United States Army Air Corps, Dresden Neustadt is ironically the old part of town.

The church, palace, etc, where they have classical music concerts and all that was rebuilt with some old stones pockmarking the gleaming new stones to remind everyone.

It's fun to think of the AfD having to look up at that when they march around.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Me and my SO are going to Costa del Sol and are thinking about visiting Gibraltar to look at the monkeys and perhaps taking the ferry to Marocco. Anyone know how often they travel across per day? And is it really worth it?

Googling this was a mess.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Has anyone ever traveled from Italy (Trieste) to Croatia (Rijeka, Zagreb) by train or bus before? Is it possible, internet searches muddy the waters. I've only made it as far east as Trieste by train, and I went to Ljubljana and Zagreb from Bolzano/Trento by car.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The maritime museum in Hamburg is great, it has thousands of model boats which I think basically everyone will enjoy.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

Has anyone ever traveled from Italy (Trieste) to Croatia (Rijeka, Zagreb) by train or bus before? Is it possible, internet searches muddy the waters. I've only made it as far east as Trieste by train, and I went to Ljubljana and Zagreb from Bolzano/Trento by car.

Well, you can definitely go Trieste - Ljubljana (2x/day, 9am and 7pm, 3 hr) and Ljubljana - Rijeka (3x/day, last leaves at 15:40 arrives 3hr later) . I see a train line connecting Divaca to Rijeka (and Divaca is a stop from Trieste to Ljubljana) but I don’t see any way to get that ticket, so either it is out of date or freight-only.

So you could definitely take the 9am from Triest to Ljubljana and then the 3:40 to Trieste, for 9 hours of total transit time. You could probably also take a Flixbus that drives it directly in like 90 minutes.

E: Nevermind you can go Trieste - Pivka and then Pivka - Rijeka. Same 9am from Trieste, then arrive in Pivka at 10:30, then unfortunately you have to wait in Pivka 6 hours and wait for that train coming from Ljubljana. So it is the exact same travel time but probably cheaper. You just get 6 hours in Pivka instead of 3 in Ljubljana and it saves probably a few Euros.

Hopefully it will get better now that Croatia is in Schengen, but the Italy-Slovenia connections are pretty bad, so also maybe not.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 13, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seems important to the conversation

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1679537189909061637

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

I've done this to Slovenia by bus before, because there was no train service between Italy and Slovenia in 2019. I don't know if that's changed.

For what it's worth, the Trieste-Slovenia bus (we went to Koper) was super easy. You just get off the train, find the bus station office that's right outside the station, pay your 2-3 Euros per ticket, and then wait for the bus. From there we rented a car so I can't help you on how to get to Croatia afterwards.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I had to get from Venice airport to Piran on the Slovenian coast in 2016 and it was a huge hassle. No train options and only a few bus connections per day. I hope it has gotten better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HookShot posted:

I've done this to Slovenia by bus before, because there was no train service between Italy and Slovenia in 2019. I don't know if that's changed.

For what it's worth, the Trieste-Slovenia bus (we went to Koper) was super easy. You just get off the train, find the bus station office that's right outside the station, pay your 2-3 Euros per ticket, and then wait for the bus. From there we rented a car so I can't help you on how to get to Croatia afterwards.

did you go to Lake Bled

I want to go to Lake Bled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

kiimo posted:

did you go to Lake Bled

I want to go to Lake Bled

I went it was very good despite being a tourist spot. We rented bikes and cycled around the park to the north which was even better than the lake itself.