Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Finally went back to the Harvestella Prologue Demo and finished the 14th day, although the rest of the game is coming tomorrow in the post.

Too many games bought means some get neglected, but since I'm a disabled with no job and a sugar mama I got nothing but time and crippling executive dysfunction keeping me from playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sam Faust posted:

F-zero needs to be destroyed to make way for the actually good overlooked Nintendo Racing game.

Diddy Kong Racing

Your spoiler had an embarrassing error. Don't worry, I fixed it.

icantfindaname posted:

4 DS is bad too? I thought it was just 3

I'll go to bat for FF4DS. It's the only way I've played the game at all, actually, and I love it. Yeah, it's hard, but that means you're required to actually think about what you're doing instead of just mashing attack all the time! I found it refreshing.

The Augment system is super neat, but I agree it could have been explained a bit better for new players. And ironically it even kinda screws over people who've played a different version of FF4 before, cuz then you run into why would I give an Augment to this character? They're going to die next chapter!

Still I love it. There were a few occasions that I thought it was unfair, but only a few.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll go to bat for FF4DS. It's the only way I've played the game at all, actually, and I love it.

This is a harsher comparison than ff4ds really deserves, but this gives me the vibe of someone saying the dmc reboot game was good and it's the only one they played of the series

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 9, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
As someone who has played multiple versions of FF4, the DS version is my favorite.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alacron posted:

As someone who has played multiple versions of FF4, the DS version is my favorite.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I also really liked FF4 DS, but I don't think it would be my recommendation for someone's first playing of FF4.

For that matter, I also liked FF3 DS, so maybe I just have bad taste.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Alacron posted:

See, that's fair, I just feel like "this is the only version I played and so it's the best one" is a bad position to argue from

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Procrastine posted:

See, that's fair, I just feel like "this is the only version I played and so it's the best one" is a bad position to argue from

Yeah, I agree. Good thing I didn't say that!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxyclean posted:

This is the truth, but it won't stop me from being cranky. At this point it's more that I'm annoyed they haven't tried to do anything with it then I'm absolutely dying for more F-Zero?

Like "why should they spend effort on something that doesn't sell particularly well (GX sold about as well as Pikmin 1)" ends up being a bit of a silly quesiton cause it can devolve into "Why are they making things that are not more open world zeldas" but less ridiculous then that questions become "Why Donkey Kong platformers if Mario outsells it" (which might be happening already) or "Why do a Advance Wars re-release instead of a Fire Emblem one?"

It'd be nice to at least get a remaster/touch up of F-Zero GX.

Pikmin 1 was also a new IP at the time while GX wasn't. Pikmin also didn't have a similar yet far more popular series to be compared against for its sales and resource usage.

"Why Donkey Kong" is an bad comparison/question as well considering Rare made those, not Nintendo's Mario team(s) so there's no competition for resources there.

icantfindaname posted:

4 DS is bad too? I thought it was just 3

The balance in 4DS is all over the place, with some random encounters being harder than bosses and a handful can be auto-wipes if you get ambushed and aren't heavily overleveled for the enemies. Augments can be comically overpowered (and you aren't getting the best ones without a FAQ, because who'd give 2 to Fusoya?) and trivialize 99% of difficulty increases with the remaining 1% being preemptive/dps race poo poo like Leviathan and CPU. It has NG+ but they decided to make NG+ runs finite because??? Rydia's new/custom summon is an ok attempt at something new but I can't remember any point in the game it was worth using (maybe if you grind the hell out of its stats ASAP).

It's not as bad as The After Years but that's not saying much.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FF4 3D is good. get the PC version and play on hard mode

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, I agree. Good thing I didn't say that!

It seemed implied but fair enough, sorry. I mostly just thought of "guy who played the dmc reboot, loved it, but won't play the other games" and thought it was funny

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
In this context "I only played the DS version but liked it" is worth saying because every other comment was that you shouldn't play it first or that it's a romhack for fans of the original. It's a reply to earlier parts of the conversation :shrug:

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 9, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Chieves posted:

Just release a standalone $20 city trial mode and I'm sold.

honestly...this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF4 DS is good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF3DS is generally not recommended at all (at the very least, get the Steam version of the 3D port since at least lets you save anywhere, which helps with a lot of 3DS's bullshit), while 4DS is more decisive but generally nice as a different, more difficult take than the other versions of 4. I can see why others would dislike it, and I still prefer stuff like the PR remaster and the PSP port, but I still think 4DS is solid and a really nice change of pace for re-experiencing the game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think the DS remake of FF4 has the same flaws as FF3DS - the overtuned random encounters to compensate for the fact that they couldn't put more than three enemies in a battle at a time, and it doesn't have the class change stat penalty in a game that forces you to change up your classes frequently - but IIRC it's just ball-bustingly hard, like random encounters can and will wipe you if you're not careful.

Could be worse. The PS1 port of FF2 had a bug where vampiric attacks do and heal for thousands of damage at a time. Not too bad normally, you just need to wipe or flee from and vampires that show up. But guess what the final boss has as a standard melee attack?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1678069964622667776?s=20

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Sam Faust posted:

F-zero needs to be destroyed to make way for the actually good overlooked Nintendo Racing game.

Kirby Air Ride

:hai: I'm dying with you on this hill. The music!!!

Chieves posted:

Just release a standalone $20 city trial mode and I'm sold.

(For those of you who had "City Trial brought up within 30 seconds of a Kirby Air Ride reference on your bingo card, drink!)

City Trial deserves to be brought up at every opportunity. :hfive:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bug Squash posted:

Could be worse. The PS1 port of FF2 had a bug where vampiric attacks do and heal for thousands of damage at a time. Not too bad normally, you just need to wipe or flee from and vampires that show up. But guess what the final boss has as a standard melee attack?

Don't know if that one is a bug or a feature. You can get the Blood Sword and do the same thing back, since apparently a single swing takes 1/16 of a total health pool. Useless in random encounters, amazing against bosses.

I think the original box art for Final Fantasy II has Firion even holding up a red sword, he's basically telling you how good it can be :v:

Just gotta make sure you don't miss the short window you have to obtain it...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the 1/16 drain thing may also be true for enemy attacks as well. And keep in mind enemies can scale up to like eight hits an attack, which would be half your health, which is why the most important advice about FF2 is to focus on increasing your Agility and Evasion over HP and defense, so you can dodge most or all of those nasty hits.

Of course, the way to increase Agility is "Have high Agility" so :shrug:, and the common advice of "Have one frontliner absorb all the physical attacks to maximize Agility gains" doesn't work anymore in 2PR because now rows work like the rest of the games (in other versions of 2, people in the back row cannot be targeted by regular physical attacks, but on the other hand cannot attack from there except with bows or magic).

Still, the constant remasters and remakes has made FF2 easy enough that you don't need to really worry about any of that anymore.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rrrrrrrrrr. I had final fantasy 1-6 PR and 3 other games in my cart at Play-Asia and one of the games (ghost trick) sold out while I was pondering.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've never met anyone who actually played FF4 After Years. Was it basically a lame fanfic-y game?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing the new game Rain Code the past couple days and have been pleasantly surprised by it. I think that the new setting - where you're a detective doing investigations in a (so far) pretty interesting city - does it a lot of favors vs the Dangan Ronpa series, where you're basically limited to this group of goofy teenagers. You still get the goofy characters in this, but they're usually adults (in terms of the non-detective characters; the age of the detectives is a little ambiguous and seems like it varies from late teens to early 20s, though it might be mentioned in the character profiles somewhere). Introducing adults lets the artist get significantly more creative with the character designs.

The actual cases themselves (I'm almost done with the second) have been enjoyable, if a little silly in parts. How much you'd enjoy them probably depends on what you're looking for in mystery game cases. The ones I've done usually have at least one kind of cool trick/twist, but also some silly/contrived elements. But they're very fun in terms of the drama and getting to own the bad guy with Facts and Logic. The contrived parts didn't bother me too much since I mostly care about the character drama/melodrama elements, and there have still been some pretty good puzzles mixed in.

One other thing that could be considered either bad or good - it's really easy, at least during the "fighting" parts (where you have to dodge the enemy's statements and strike at ones that contradict evidence with the evidence in question). This is because you take almost no damage when you make mistakes. I'm pretty sure you would need to get hit like 70 times to die during these segments. One time early on I was confused and got hit a ton, and by the end I was only missing like 1/8 of my health bar. This doesn't bother me that much, since the alternative is just having to redo stuff if I mess up (so this basically just shortens the process). I just mentally consider it a loss if I get hit much.

(If anyone hasn't played Ghost Trick yet I'd recommend they do that first/instead, since it's a great game and the Switch version seems really nice, especially if you play it handheld on an OLED Switch - its bright color scheme really works well with it)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I just wrapped up Detective Archives myself and would agree with most of that. It's really easy, the increased variety of character designs really helps with the samey-ness of DR's character design, and you should probably wait for a PC port if you're going to play it because the load times and performance are...not great. I enjoyed the game overall, but the story really starts to fall apart around Chapter 3 and then takes a huge swerve in Chapter 5 that doesn't entirely feel like it belongs in the same game as the rest of it. Solid 7/10 or so, but if you liked DR then it's extremely up your alley.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Electromax posted:

I've never met anyone who actually played FF4 After Years. Was it basically a lame fanfic-y game?

Basically, though IIRC it was done by 4's scenario writer. The actual writing is hit-or-miss, some of the old and new characters have good moments, but other characters get shafted hard and the actual plot is terrible. If you're a fan of 4's battle system it's mostly the same, albeit with a couple new mechanics, but otherwise gives much more room to play around with it and a ton of challenging bosses.

It's fine for gameplay, kinda bad writing-wise. I'd skip unless you're a hardcore FF fan that doesn't mind some weird-rear end story decisions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

Rrrrrrrrrr. I had final fantasy 1-6 PR and 3 other games in my cart at Play-Asia and one of the games (ghost trick) sold out while I was pondering.

Don't worry, the pixel remasters of FF1-6 are also on the eShop, you can just buy and instantly download them as soon as you're in WiFi-range.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Electromax posted:

I know it solely from an LP that I read because I'd had no idea the game existed. I've still never seen it anywhere.

But yes, very lame fanfic. See for yourself if you enjoy shaking your head in wonder that this was published: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-IV-The-After-Years/

e: it's by Mega64 who gave their opinion while I was posting this, so there you go: a person who definitely played the game.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I didn't know that every last sweatlord was going to be playing Tetris 99 today :mad:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, the pixel remasters of FF1-6 are also on the eShop, you can just buy and instantly download them as soon as you're in WiFi-range.

No, I got final fantasy. It’s Ghost Trick I also wanted physically that sold out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

No, I got final fantasy. It’s Ghost Trick I also wanted physically that sold out.

Ah yeah, that sucks. Back when SMTV came out, I went to every single shop selling games here in my city, and every single one had that game sold out. And I was far too impatient to wait for mail, so I had to resort to the eShop. I'm still a bit disappointed I couldn't get the game in physical.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Augus posted:

FF4 DS is good

Yeah it's rad as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

It's less fanfictiony and more like a reunion special to be honest. It's basically an excuse to bring the FF4 cast back together with a few new additions and give some of the side characters a bit more focus. It's goofy but I think a lot of its badness tends to get overstated. It's cheesy but FFIV is cheesy. It actually does really well by a few characters and helps end their stories in somewhat better places than IV left off.

Probably the worst element of it is that it was originally designed to be released in separate chapters as a cell phone game and the structure really shows that, so it is basically episodic and thus recycles stuff, including hitting a lot of the same plot beats from FFIV (though to be fair usually to show how the characters have grown and can do something different.)

It's honestly not bad if you enjoy FFIV and the final dungeon (at least on the Wiiware version which is the version I played) is pretty drat cool. It pissed people off because the game implied the main villain destroyed the other SNES FF worlds but that was mostly just an excuse to let you refight classic FF bosses.

It actually does a lot of really neat things that I liked. The graphics are in a FF6 style instead of a FF4 style except when you get flashbacks where they become FF4 style. (Even when flashing back to things that we didn't see in FFIV.) It's got a huge cast of characters who have combo techniques, interesting boss fights, and some pretty cool secrets.

I've heard the 3D version is worse but unfortunately it's the only one available.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone playing TAY needs to just tune out the story entirely* because it's honestly just bad. To say the final boss is a half-assed Lavos ripoff would be generous. The Mysterious Girl theme and battle music slaps at least.

* Except for the scene where Edge sucks so much (more than usual) that Rubicante's ghost shows up to chew him out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Target has a pretty decent deal on Mario games today. I got Mario Odyssey (physical) for $35 shipped. There's three or four other Mario games for sale as well.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

It's not a bug, enemy attacks have number of hits just like you do, the drain attacks do 1/16 per hit, that's what the evasion level next to the percentage is about, number of hits you can attempt to evade.
It's the hard counter to hitting yourself for hp and wearing heavy armor in any version of FF 2 but especially the pixel remaster.
The changes in the PR to the row system made it much harder to grind evasion levels out coupled with the decision to make all status attacks 100% effective if it hits makes certain enemies and the last couple of dungeons nightmarish.
In most of the versions the blood sword has awful accuracy, but in the PR it hits reliably making it a bit broken, it melts the final boss even easier now.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 9, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Libluini posted:

Ah yeah, that sucks. Back when SMTV came out, I went to every single shop selling games here in my city, and every single one had that game sold out. And I was far too impatient to wait for mail, so I had to resort to the eShop. I'm still a bit disappointed I couldn't get the game in physical.

I have still never played a SMT game despite having 3 and 5 on switch.
I should plug my whole backlog into how long to beat and see what the ghastly total is.
I’m trying to mix it up and not play the same thing back to back. I’m finishing breath of the wild by the end of July, and then mother 3, links awakening and then I have Mario odyssey and fire emblem 3 hours a day houses to do before Mario Wonder comes out.

Edit: I forgot Hogwarts Legacy, which I still don't know if it's ever really going to come out on switch so I got it on xbox. (yes, I know JK is a horrible person, but I bought it used so she did not make any more money off it.)

otter fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 10, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am playing Xenoblade 3 Future Connected and where the gently caress can I find a Pione Stone? I have three and need no more, I don't remember where I got them at all, I have combed the entire region they appear in multiple times.

Eventually picked one up going through a new part of the area I got the ability to travel to

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 10, 2023

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Rain Code

Agreed on all counts. Basically if you like the Danganronpa games, you'll probably like this too. And overall it's less, uh, uncomfortably anime than DR

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So the mystery stuff interests me for my wife as she likes these type of games. But she will not put up why anime tropes, nor am I a fan to be honest. Just what caliber we talking here? Is it just one note cliché personalities like in Fire Emblem: Awakenings (and from what I hear Engage) or is it 1000 year old demons in children bodies like also in Fire Emblem (yes yes it’s dragons whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So the mystery stuff interests me for my wife as she likes these type of games. But she will not put up why anime tropes, nor am I a fan to be honest. Just what caliber we talking here? Is it just one note cliché personalities like in Fire Emblem: Awakenings (and from what I hear Engage) or is it 1000 year old demons in children bodies like also in Fire Emblem (yes yes it’s dragons whatever).
as someone who hated FE Awakening for the same reason: Engage is not nearly as bad in that regard. The only characters who are really like that are the two you get at the very start and it's very much played as a joke.