Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of converting old to new, I found out it should be possible to repurpose the early 90s NMT (nordic mobile telephone) car antenna on my cars roof for receiving modern LTE transmissions (4G) as it uses the same bands (700-900 MHz).

So I could with the right modem and connector say, give my car it's dedicated internet setup and share out wifi to everyone in the car.

Or alternatively, if a suitable docking station or something could be found for my phone, simply make it into an external antenna for my phone for better reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Ulf posted:

For a long time I ran a model M keyboard with a string of adapters from AT -> PS/2 -> USB.

Anything is possible especially if you have enough of each adapter to swap and try to find a working end-to-end solution.

Meanwhile now I have a converter to adapt my USB keyboard to PS/2.

PS/2 allows for a hgiher number of simultaneous keypresses (USB tops out at 4 or 5) which is super important in some gaming scenarios.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

USB can and does handle nkro as demonstrated by most modern gaming keyboards. The 6 key limit comes from cheap keyboards only implementing the usb boot protocol.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Galler posted:

USB can and does handle nkro as demonstrated by most modern gaming keyboards. The 6 key limit comes from cheap keyboards only implementing the usb boot protocol.
AFAIK there are also a few BIOSes that would misbehave when a NKRO keyboard is connected and either not allow access to the BIOS menus or not boot correctly at all, so there was also a compatibility incentive for cheap keyboard vendors to not use the better modes.

IIRC my K95 has a physical switch on it to disable NKRO and go back to boot protocol for exactly this reason. Moonlander (and presumably other ZSA boards, probably even all QMK derivatives) can toggle it with a button.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Meanwhile now I have a converter to adapt my USB keyboard to PS/2.

PS/2 allows for a hgiher number of simultaneous keypresses (USB tops out at 4 or 5) which is super important in some gaming scenarios.

Ok I gotta know what those scenarios might be.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was thinking emacs rather than gaming... but ok to be fair, they're mostly sequential combos.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 2, 2023

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

opengl posted:

I absolutely have a 400-400, 400-800, and 800-800 FW cables in my Giant Box of Cables I'll Surely Need Someday

I just recovered a bunch of stuff from a Quadra 950 that was (in use!!!) till June 2023 for data gathering off a Newbus card. I have a Beige G3 with a SCSI 2 card and firewire 400 card which I could put the HD in. I put the computer into Target Disk Mode with a Firewire 400-800 cable into the Apple Thunderbolt to FW 800 adapter, put that into a Thunderbolt 1 to 3 adapter and my M2 MacBook Pro read all the data off it just fine.

Keep those cables. I saved a few people years of thesis rework because no one else could figure out how to get data off. Now the card is sitting in a recapped Iici with a BlueSCSI to SD card so it can keep on trucking. Will recap the Nubus card when they are done with the data collection in late July.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Arson Daily posted:

Ok I gotta know what those scenarios might be.

I can remember at least one was playing THPS2 on PC with keyboard, needing to hold four buttons for certain directional movements/tricks and then trying to press a 5th and just getting an error beep. There were others but I can't remember, I've made sure to havea keyboard that supports full n-key rollover (you can press every button simultaneously if you want and they'll all be read correctly) for more than 10 years now so it's just a non issue any more.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Toupee Groupie posted:

I just recovered a bunch of stuff from a Quadra 950 that was (in use!!!) till June 2023 for data gathering off a Newbus card. I have a Beige G3 with a SCSI 2 card and firewire 400 card which I could put the HD in. I put the computer into Target Disk Mode with a Firewire 400-800 cable into the Apple Thunderbolt to FW 800 adapter, put that into a Thunderbolt 1 to 3 adapter and my M2 MacBook Pro read all the data off it just fine.

Keep those cables. I saved a few people years of thesis rework because no one else could figure out how to get data off. Now the card is sitting in a recapped Iici with a BlueSCSI to SD card so it can keep on trucking. Will recap the Nubus card when they are done with the data collection in late July.

I can’t decide if I’m proud or sad that I understood all of that. Says the guy with a Mac SE, LCIII, 6100/66 AV, *and* a 6100 DOS compatible in the closet. All of which “ran when parked”. Not sure if they’ll fire up now.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Pulled the darts clutch the entire thing basically disintegrated

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I can’t decide if I’m proud or sad that I understood all of that. Says the guy with a Mac SE, LCIII, 6100/66 AV, *and* a 6100 DOS compatible in the closet. All of which “ran when parked”. Not sure if they’ll fire up now.

if you become curious, check the caps and batteries before you fire em!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Huh bout time for you to change one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Pulled the darts clutch the entire thing basically disintegrated

...isn't there supposed to be friction material on both sides?

edit:

Raluek posted:

if you become curious, check the caps and batteries before you fire em!

yeah, I should.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

...isn't there supposed to be friction material on both sides?

edit:

yeah, I should.

Yes. If the new clutch is an indication.
I believe said material was present everywhere but the clutch.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Darchangel posted:

Aside from caps and batteries, the other long term worry for old computers sitting in storage is firmware - all flash memory fades eventually. However, I think those Macs are all old enough to use mask ROM firmware, so after a recapping and a new battery they'll probably boot right up.

If you do want them to work in the future I recommend opening them up now to see if any caps or batteries have leaked, even if you have no intention of actually fixing them yet. Cap guts and battery acid can damage PCB traces, best to clean that stuff off quick if it's there.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BobHoward posted:

Aside from caps and batteries, the other long term worry for old computers sitting in storage is firmware - all flash memory fades eventually. However, I think those Macs are all old enough to use mask ROM firmware, so after a recapping and a new battery they'll probably boot right up.

If you do want them to work in the future I recommend opening them up now to see if any caps or batteries have leaked, even if you have no intention of actually fixing them yet. Cap guts and battery acid can damage PCB traces, best to clean that stuff off quick if it's there.

Somehow that reminds me that I have an Alpha PWS tower sitting in a closet somewhere in my parents' house. I actually did remember to pull the CR2032 BIOS battery before leaving it there (which was what reminded me). I should probably pick that up someday, it's not a big house and I've got a (dry, warm) storage area here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Darchangel posted:

I've been doing a ton of Classic Mac stuff recently and out of that lot I'd say the SE is the most likely to work. They run tantalum capacitors, not surface mount caps, so you don't have the issue with the caps leaking over the logic board.

The others will suffer from battery bombs, leaking surface mount capacitors or both.

Here's a friend of mine's Classic Mac which had battery bombed:

Whereas this is the SE logic board that I pulled out that had not been touched probably since it was built in 1989:

After a clean up and a new PRAM battery it runs fine:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Caps and batteries and hardware so slow that if it functions at 25%, it still works fine. I bought a smashed up Quadra 650 off eBay and slapped my A/UX drive I made almost a decade ago and it worked fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BobHoward posted:

Saw a video on Youtube the other day of someone unboxing a NOS Mac Classic - new in box. They tried firing it up and... pop goes the fuse.

Yeah, bunch of leaky caps, and the leaks had bridged enough circuits to blow a few other things. Battery hadn't leaked yet, somehow. Lots of cleaning, recapping (had blown tantalums and leaking electrolytics), and replacing other stuff that let the magic smoke out (almost all on the analog board) and he eventually had a working Mac after several days of work.

Reminds me, I should pull my G5 (I THINK it's a G5 anyway, the case looks right) out of storage and at least remove the battery. It's buried so deep that it'll be difficult to get to, but at least it's a climate controlled storage unit.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

randomidiot posted:

Reminds me, I should pull my G5 (I THINK it's a G5 anyway, the case looks right) out of storage and at least remove the battery. It's buried so deep that it'll be difficult to get to, but at least it's a climate controlled storage unit.

You saying "G5" reminded me in turn that I have an old G5...

It wasn't buried anywhere, even though I haven't turned it on in forever, so it was easy to check. No sign of battery leakage, and it turns out the model I have uses a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery, which should never leak.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
isnt that the same thing that was in you am i's picture of horrors above? i thought apple used pretty much the same thing for decades.

the main issues with the G5 are the water cooling (if equipped) and the power supply (which is of course not ATX) from what i remember.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Raluek posted:

isnt that the same thing that was in you am i's picture of horrors above? i thought apple used pretty much the same thing for decades.

Could be, I thought the older ones used a different chemistry than lithium though. Lithium primary cells usually don't leak afaik

e: well on further searching it seems that the 1/2 AA cells always were lithium, and if this offsite thread is to be believed, usually the ones which explode are red label Maxell batteries.

https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?threads/warning-exploding-maxell-pram-batteries.25169/

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 9, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Raluek posted:

the main issues with the G5 are the water cooling (if equipped) and the power supply (which is of course not ATX) from what i remember.

Oh is that the one that uses an ATX style plug with different wiring, as a trap for the unwary?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Take it to yospos fellas

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

No. That's an oldschool Mac; I think sales of those ended sometime in the mid to late 90s. The G5 was the sleek as hell tower that weighs in around 40 lbs, and powered a LCD monitor over ADC (Apple Display Connector). I have a 17" Apple Studio Display to go with it, and it's maxed out on RAM + has a SSD instead of the original HDD (though the original HDD is still in there, disconnected, just in case the SSD shits itself). I believe it was the last desktop PowerPC Mac, though they continued to use the same case for the first Intel Macs.

Think I paid $25 for it with the monitor, slapped some generic RAM in, and threw an old SSD at it. Kinda scared to plug it in whenever I get around to digging it out, TBH - it's been probably 5 years since it was plugged in. Hopefully the power supply doesn't go Lucas.

I don't know if any of them were water cooled - this is the only Mac I've ever owned - mine is a low end one (for a G5) with a single CPU, with boring heatsinks and fans. IIRC it gets pissy if you try to boot it with the side panel off, they optimized the cooling to work with the panel on. Been long enough that I don't remember how it knows the side panel is off, but it knows.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 9, 2023

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

polyester concept posted:

Take it to yospos fellas

60-1 timing wheel for a Speeduino build

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

randomidiot posted:

No. That's an oldschool Mac; I think sales of those ended sometime in the mid to late 90s. The G5 was the sleek as hell tower that weighs in around 40 lbs, and powered a LCD monitor over ADC (Apple Display Connector). I have a 17" Apple Studio Display to go with it, and it's maxed out on RAM + has a SSD instead of the original HDD (though the original HDD is still in there, disconnected, just in case the SSD shits itself). I believe it was the last desktop PowerPC Mac, though they continued to use the same case for the first Intel Macs.

Think I paid $25 for it with the monitor, slapped some generic RAM in, and threw an old SSD at it. Kinda scared to plug it in whenever I get around to digging it out, TBH - it's been probably 5 years since it was plugged in. Hopefully the power supply doesn't go Lucas.

I don't know if any of them were water cooled - this is the only Mac I've ever owned - mine is a low end one (for a G5) with a single CPU, with boring heatsinks and fans. IIRC it gets pissy if you try to boot it with the side panel off, they optimized the cooling to work with the panel on. Been long enough that I don't remember how it knows the side panel is off, but it knows.

God, I played so much Unreal Tournament 2k4 on one of those.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

randomidiot posted:

i know what a G5 is, i have one too. i meant the battery was the same.

the dual processor dual core "quad" G5 was water cooled. that system was made by delphi, iirc, so that's automotive content right there.

Computer viking posted:

Oh is that the one that uses an ATX style plug with different wiring, as a trap for the unwary?

similar connector, and yeah i don't think it's compatible. the G4 (at least the MDD) even used an ATX-style form factor for the supply, but of course not compatible. at least partially because of the 24V needed for the ADC. so that's probably what you're thinking of

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Raluek posted:

the dual processor dual core "quad" G5 was water cooled. that system was made by delphi, iirc, so that's automotive content right there.

And loved to spring leaks. Fixed so many of those fuckers back in the day.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Well that would be why this Vespa ET2 50 won't start or run and makes 30psi of compression.

Yikes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat, how much boost were you feeding it?

Time for a big bore kit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

G5 Big Bore ATX 24V ADC Kit

Water Cooled

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

polyester concept posted:

Take it to yospos fellas

Everybody in AI is a computer toucher who drives a Toyota camry

ili
Jul 26, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I'm not, I loathe computers. Camrys absolutely rule though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

fridge corn posted:

Please, I'm a professional mechanic* who drives a Nissan Leaf. I had an 8yo '98 Toyota Camry when I was a teen, and it was a bigger loving turd than the 15yo Mustang I owned later that lived in CT its whole life and had its radiator attached with literal baling wire. Dead alternator, electric gremlins, broken exhaust manifold, leaky rad, and finally a blown HG, all in 6 months.

*not on cars, gently caress that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fridge corn posted:

I am a computer toucher but I don't drive a Camry they don't sell it here

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fridge corn posted:

I don’t like computers and the first time I ever drove a Camry was this weekend when I got one as a rental car.

Actually I just am also not a Toyota guy in general.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I don’t like computers and the first time I ever drove a Camry was this weekend when I got one as a rental car.

I was originally gonna say Honda Accord but figured I'd get more responses with Camry :cheeky:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Lol at thinking professional computer touchers like computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol at thinking professional computer touchers like computers.

People that like computers are either too naive or don’t know enough about them to actively hate them and whoever thought making sand able to count was a good idea.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 10, 2023