Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welcome to the club, what did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Welcome to the club, what did you get?

went with the moza r5 & their cheap rim. didn't really want to get super spendy in case it continued to be an issue and i can't race when the neighbor is around and leaves room for upgrading down the line. very excited to have some time off work next week to put this thing through its paces.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Put a gym mat under your rig OP. It's probably the pedals your neighbor is hearing.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

VelociBacon posted:

Put a gym mat under your rig OP. It's probably the pedals your neighbor is hearing.

I have! I'm just super cautious about it now.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm on a much older 1060TI and F1 23 looks extremely bad. F1 22 runs just fine on mid settings and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I tried the 23 demo and a few things turned me off from ever buying it.

1) single player mode is locked behind a "tutorial series" you can't skip or change the settings on, so it's far too easy and completely boring as gently caress. I quit after 4 events (where the game crashed) so I have no idea how long the series is.

2) the menu is obtuse and is full of slow transition animations, so getting anywhere takes forever

3) on low settings the game is like wearing the wrong prescription glasses smeared with Vaseline. I couldn't see poo poo except for blobs of colorful pixels, even after turning off motion blur.

I'll note that I've never played any other F1 game so if the handling in 22 is horrendous, I can't really tell :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

F1 22 did indeed handle like dogshit

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I have! I'm just super cautious about it now.

For what it's worth, I put a yoga mat under the gym mats at my last place (1960s woodframe building) and it made a huge difference in the transferring of the clicking type noises from my APM shifters. It went from being annoying as hell in the next room to being completely inaudible.

I don't know what pedals you have but if you're on G29 type pedals, there's a velcro mod that makes them completely quiet as well and it is so much nicer to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiesEdzZFM8

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Going for a “budget” but pretty good rig, got the fanatec $400 package, a used tube steel rig from a janky ebay store ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/385406198171 ) and now trolling for cheap monitors on prime day. Pretty stoked but afraid to see how my 970 holds up with iRacing… can’t believe I sold all my sim racing stuff like 7 years ago and going for it again with the same gpu. :reject:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have that same rig with the 8nm CSL DD wheelbase. I got mine from Amazon, there is definitely some Chinese company pumping them out under a hundred different names.

It absolutely needs to be braced in the front between the pedal plate and the wheel plate, or it will sway side to side a bit when you steer.

I can post some pics of my setup/fix in a bit

E: or right now because I guess I have some pics already

Excuse my bullshit cable management, I race in VR so I never have to see it.

Here you can see I have a metal crossmember (actually an old APC UPS rack mount rail) half way through the space between the pedal plate and wheel plate. Mine also doubles as a mounting surface for my buttkicker amp and the wheel power supply

You can see it’s just held on with some u-bolts. I backed them with some aluminum angle just to keep them from scratching or bending the frame.

Also I see by your auction that the nameless Chinese company making these has added the same upright bracing that I had to add from the floor to the upright portion via even more aluminum angle, which means they are at least somewhat paying attention! That’s good!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 6, 2023

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Now that’s a setup! Thanks for the tip on the bracing, I’m sure seems like there are tons of variants for sure! The one I got used round tubing but I think I can apply the same idea. What do you have for GPU for VR? I have an Quest 2 but figure I should go towards a monitor since my gpu is so old, plus this will be out in the garage (no AC) which I’m thinking will be too hot to use VR anyways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run a 3070ti and a Rift S. The quest 2 is really nice, visually, but I sometimes run longer races where I dont want to worry about the battery on the Quest, so the corded Rift S works out.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i thought the thing on the right of the picture was the wheelbase at first, I couldn't work out how you were possibly using it then realised it was the e-stop. good lord that thing is chunky!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its actually a big chonky button box. Because I race in VR, a normal button box is way too fiddly to find any buttons on when you're in a (virtually) moving vehicle, you need big buttons and a simple layout. Top button resets the HMD position, red button resets to pits/menu, the two little buttons flip the relative box to its different options and bottom button is pit limiter

The body itself is actually a Hyundai security camera, the top button is where the lens would be, and the rest of the buttons are in holes drilled into the body. It worked out well because the whole thing is cast aluminum and really beefy/light. Everythings wired into a Leo Bodnar button controller PCB

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 6, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That is a loving sick giant button box and overall setup.

For the VR gou question, I manage to get iracing running on my quest2 with a 4570k and 1660 with basically all settings at low and stable-ish 72fps, I would say that's absolute minimum requirements and I only get away with it because framedrops in VR don't make me sick or dizzy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I set up head tracking with OpenTrack and my phone camera yesterday and it's making me way better in AMS2. Might lock down forward position but other than that, zero complaints. Worth trying!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Ah awesome replies on the VR reqs, yeah I need a new PC but trying to hold out for a bit as I just spent all this $ on the sim hardware so need some time to recuperate. How bad is it going to be using a single 32" 1440P display?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I set up head tracking with OpenTrack and my phone camera yesterday and it's making me way better in AMS2. Might lock down forward position but other than that, zero complaints. Worth trying!

This seems really cool! Maybe will help me with a single monitor, what do you run?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fatal posted:

This seems really cool! Maybe will help me with a single monitor, what do you run?

I run a Ryzen5 5600 with 3060Ti, so I'm doing 4K60 in AMS2/AC with decent headroom on a 43 inch tv I'm using as a monitor. I came from a 1660 and I bet it can do AMS2 at 1440p no problem. The head tracking stuff doesn't really affect performance, but you want a consistent framerate to minimize how jittery your moves look.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've been eyeing racing for a while. Found a used Thrustmaster TMX w/pedals & a stand for $100. Seems like a solid deal and a good time to hop in with the Steam sale in full swing. Now there are too many games to choose.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Assetto Corsa unlimited and dirt rally 2.0 are both hard to go wrong with as starting points for sims.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Automobilista 2, also good with the new physics they put out for open wheel vehicles (the rest coming soon)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Dirt 2 is what really got me going. I hardly do any rally now but it’s super fun.

Definitely grab AC Ultimate pack on sale (happens often). AC2 is coming but the first had GOBS of content (official and mods).

If you want to do competitive racing then it’s hard to compete with iRacing currently. If you only care about solo fuckery then do not touch iracing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they're all trying to turn you away from richard burns rally... the 100% free and 100% easiest sim to get into. guaranteed no problem, beloved by all.

but no Assetto Corsa Ultimate as mentioned is probably the best value then you combine it with Assetto Manager.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

they're all trying to turn you away from richard burns rally... the 100% free and 100% easiest sim to get into. guaranteed no problem, beloved by all.

but no Assetto Corsa Ultimate as mentioned is probably the best value then you combine it with Assetto Manager.

Thank you for this! Extremely helpful mod manager for AC.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ive had a few friends who refused to bow down and pay the 5 dollars or w/e who eventually give in and be shocked at their total stupidity in trying to use the regular assetto UI lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The regular UI is so bad lol. I paid that $5.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The regular UI is also completely unusable once you get to a certain number of tracks and cars. If I try to fire up the UI, it just crashes immediately. I have... an unhealthy number of tracks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ui is also garbage in VR

Bite the bullet and go straight to iracing

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 9, 2023

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Honestly every time I remember about iRacing, and the subscription cost, AND the fact that once you're done with the Rookie/D-Tier races, you literally have to start dropping $15 per track on tracks, and $15 per car on cars, AND the fact that they rotate these races/cars to force you to have to buy new ones, my desire to play that game diminishes.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Wicaeed posted:

Honestly every time I remember about iRacing, and the subscription cost, AND the fact that once you're done with the Rookie/D-Tier races, you literally have to start dropping $15 per track on tracks, and $15 per car on cars, AND the fact that they rotate these races/cars to force you to have to buy new ones, my desire to play that game diminishes.

I'll never call iRacing cheap, so I can agree with you on that. But they hardly force track rotations. In every series I've been a regular of the community votes on tracks for the upcoming season. Then some community managers (aka just some guys in the community) send the schedule to iRacing and they put it in the game. With some communities employing some sort of "ban" system to ensure that the same track doesn't show up every season since they want some variation. For instance , the TCR series allows a track to show up twice in a row before it is banned for one season.
Some tracks are added in to match whatever real life series it is based off of, but beyond that there is no real forcing from iRacing. No obligation to immediately add new tracks to a season either for instance.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also not gonna say it's cheap but I wouldn't be as into sim racing as I am without the zero effort racing against real people iracing offers. Do I wish it was cheaper? For sure! Is there something that offers a range of car and race types with zero overhead online racing? Doesn't seem like it tbh.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Iracing is hands down the best if you want easy to access competitive online racing. They also are not terrible with incentives!

Every 3x items in cart is a discount, once you own 40 you have a permanent discount.

You can earn up to $10 in credits every season (rookies don’t count) by completing a race (or most of one at least) for 8 of the 12 weeks in a season. I do wish this what at least 13 or 15 to cover a car or track, but nobody else is doing this.

There’s no denying iracing has a cost, but it can be spread out and buying the most popular tracks first will see continuous usage of those tracks. The car cost is far less of an issue: just don’t try and drive 5 series at once! Pick one or two (and whatever free cars) and focus more on building the track library.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

but have you considered the stockholm syndrome?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s the thing with iRacing. I’m done racing AI. After you go up agains a full grid of humans there is no going back.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Enh, I went back, people are stressful.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Counter point: driving stints in a 24 hour endurance race with others rules.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

Tire physics modelling costs money, where do you think they're supposed to get that money?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
People can go with iRacing or not, it's their choice and it has its flaws, but I find it strange that so many people who are happy to shell out for stuff like VR capable sim rigs balk at an additional ~$200 per year for what is at this point an extremely proven product.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Vando posted:

People can go with iRacing or not, it's their choice and it has its flaws, but I find it strange that so many people who are happy to shell out for stuff like VR capable sim rigs balk at an additional ~$200 per year for what is at this point an extremely proven product.

It definitely has its flaws. But just as Meow said, I would not be into simracing if it weren't for iRacing. Whenever I try and race singleplayer or try the various online platforms for ACC I just lose interest really fast. I only upgraded my entire setup because of iRacing since it keeps me.. racing. My buddy bought a full fanatec setup and uses it like once a month when we (a group of like 7) get together and do a race in AC. Absolutely refuses to give iRacing a chance. But that is his choice. It isn't for everyone in the end.

orange juche posted:

Tire physics modelling costs money, where do you think they're supposed to get that money?

I think it is more that iRacing charges a lot more than any competitor and the core sim itself isn't necessarily a lot better. But frankly, realism is far down the list of important things for me. As long as it feels good enough I am happy, and pretty much all sims achieve that base level of realism that the average person can appreciate. What matters the most to me is the online infrastructure.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vando posted:

its the same force that makes people not buy a grocery bag and hold it all in hand. immensely old ppl energy. I only play RBR and its free but ive also dropped hundreds donating to mapmakers lol. Anything to make those bozos motivated to make graphically modern maps…