Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

You're probably right I'm mostly just a hater of the 154 lb weight class lol.

154 is straight up better than 160 right now by a long shot. Liam loving Smith is a top 5 middleweight at the moment, gently caress it he might even be top 3 depending on who you count as active. I mean really, it's Janibek and then a bunch of guys who either aren't fighting or are frankly not that great. Carlos Adames is another guy who spent years doing nothing at 154 and then went to 160 and is fighting for a title because there's just nobody at 160.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jared Anderson is fighting Zhan Kossobutskiy on July 1. Pretty crazy fight to make for Anderson. Zhan is 19-0 with 18 KOs and completely unknown, despite being ranked #8 by the WBC. High risk/lowish reward for Anderson, who's probably the most promising heavyweight prospect in the sport.

So this ended up not happening, luckily I ended up mildly disappointed here in my home instead of extremely disappointed after driving 8 hours to Ohio. Obviously we're not privy to his specific situation but do these visa issues usually get resolved? Is it more likely that we'll see Zhan fight here some other time or that he just stays in Europe for the rest of his career?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are there any boxing weight classes that are in danger of being dropped by whatever governing body there is? and, what's anything? Thanks

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cavauro posted:

are there any boxing weight classes that are in danger of being dropped by whatever governing body there is? and, what's anything? Thanks

no, they are in fact in danger of adding more

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the industry lusts for MORE BELTS

is it run by tetsuya nomura?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

because of this post i have added an additional 2 featherweight and 5 welterweight divisions.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

boxing should have a Money In The Bank

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i am staring at this post, aware of all the individual words in the sentence, yet completely unable to render from it anything like a coherent thought

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well obviously it involves mayweather

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

boxing should have a Money In The Bank

It sort of does, provided you literally have a tremendous amount of money in the bank to throw at a guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this made me like bud a whole lot more than i already did for violence reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlcWNsR81c

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jeff Horn announced his retirement

https://www.ringtv.com/655453-former-welterweight-titleholder-jeff-horn-announces-retirement-citing-memory-issues/

Most of us of course remember him getting a win over Pacquiao in 2017 which led to a bunch of paydays (and beatings) from bigger/better fighters (Terence Crawford, Tim Tszyu, Michael Zerafa). Pretty impressive for a former teacher.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thought he was already retired tbh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Boots is that dude, huh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Smoking Crow posted:

Boots is that dude, huh

At this point, for sure he is next. I've always been biased toward Vergil Ortiz but he had to pull out a fight with Eimantas Stanionis for the third time in a few months due to what appear to be medical issues caused by a bad weight cut that I don't think-or at the very least hope-he never fights at 147 again. So once Crawford and Spence walk away/move, Boots is the guy at 147 for sure

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Yeah at this point Boots beats anyone at 147 in my book, and that includes Spence and Crawford. Just too big and way too good, plus he's just entering his physical prime now. He could potentially make a dominant run all the way to/through 160.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
who the gently caress is boots?! lol i'm completely unaware of a boxer who at least one person thinks can beat spence and crawford.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

who the gently caress is boots?! lol i'm completely unaware of a boxer who at least one person thinks can beat spence and crawford.

guy that punches people in the head, real fuckin hard

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i love guys who do that. can't wait to see the rise of boots.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

Jaron Ennis.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1678755481433567234

Does Francis have any sort of promotion he's affiliated with? It can't be his management, right? Could it just be PFL since he's signed there for MMA?

e: from the UFC thread:

blue footed boobie posted:

I hope Francis gets his payday, but I really doubt it will ever happen. Fury is notorious for not going through with these kinds of things, and he has a lot of big money fights that would actually mean something that he could make.
I'm guessing the upside will be strong enough. If Wilder couldn't take Fury out, Ngannou just doesn't have that puncher's chance. Fury can engage as much or as little as he wants, and he'll definitely land enough over rounds to stop Ngannou.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Does Wilder hit harder than Ngannou? Ngannou is arguably the hardest hitter in the world. I doubt Francis wins, but he always has a puncher's chance because no one in the world hits as hard as he does.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does Wilder hit harder than Ngannou? Ngannou is arguably the hardest hitter in the world. I doubt Francis wins, but he always has a puncher's chance because no one in the world hits as hard as he does.

Wilder definitely hit harder than ngannou

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'd say wilder punches harder than ngannou, but fury has taken at least three punches that would have killed a rhino. Francis landing anything even partially clean could potentially end it, but I don't see how fury doesn't massacre hi.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I’m not too familiar with Ngannou but I find it extremely unlikely that a UFC guy has good enough movement to get close enough to Fury to start throwing haymakers

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Julio Cruz posted:

I’m not too familiar with Ngannou but I find it extremely unlikely that a UFC guy has good enough movement to get close enough to Fury to start throwing haymakers

mma angles, bro

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Julio Cruz posted:

Here's a video of most of his finishes in reverse chronological order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9DNW3X4OY

The dude has the power to put people out with things that look like taps. His hard punches send 250+lbs men flying. He is also very fast with an incredible reach.

I will note in the penultimate finish, Ngannou had never drilled a kimura before warm ups prior to the fight. He had worked on some takedown defense, and one of his coaches was showing him how to fend off a takedown with a kimura grip. They didn't expect that he would be able to submit someone with it. He took a decorated wrestler's arm that was locked around his leg and just flipped him with it effortlessly.

All of that said, he's not a boxer and hasn't spent his life boxing. He'll likely get pieced up on the outside and never really get to do anything before gassing and getting finished. He does hit literally as hard as a small sedan crashing at 30mph, though. His last UFC fight was against a highly decorated kickboxer, and he surprisingly wrestled and otherwise outpointed him to a unanimous decision.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ngannou might have more power in a certain kind of way, but Wilder definitely throws harder punchers in a boxing ring.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jump King posted:

Ngannou might have more power in a certain kind of way, but Wilder definitely throws harder punchers in a boxing ring.

Yeah MMA fighters get to connect with cleaner, wilder punches than boxers, and against guys who are in more compromised positions. I’m sure Wilder could send a heavyweight to the moon if he got to take a swing at someone like Francis does in the Overeem fight there.

Also that Overeem KO is one of my all time favs.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1678755481433567234

Does Francis have any sort of promotion he's affiliated with? It can't be his management, right? Could it just be PFL since he's signed there for MMA?

e: from the UFC thread:

I'm guessing the upside will be strong enough. If Wilder couldn't take Fury out, Ngannou just doesn't have that puncher's chance. Fury can engage as much or as little as he wants, and he'll definitely land enough over rounds to stop Ngannou.

Heavyweights always have a puncher's chance, just because their punches hit so loving hard. But I don't see Francis landing a better punch than anything Deontay landed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yzoenmn1o

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Heavyweights always have a puncher's chance, just because their punches hit so loving hard. But I don't see Francis landing a better punch than anything Deontay landed.

I've compared Wilder to Derrick Lewis (HW mma fighter for those who just pay attention to boxing) before, in that they both hit hard and have very little technical skill, but they also have pretty high fight IQ to maximize their ability.

And yeah, Ngannou just doesn't have the boxing IQ to get close enough or see Fury open enough to land something that'll hurt him.
Fury might as well be Mayweather in how defensively he can to play this. If he rocks Francis en route to a TKO, great, if not, it's nothing off his legacy.

I probably have above average respect for Ngannou's coachability and willingness to learn in camp, but the gap is so huge there's almost no point. He might as well work on his hand speed and gas and go in there and keep punching.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember reading this breakdown when he was an up-and-comer and/or when he was fighting Steve Cunningham, but is leaning on his opponents to wear them out still a big part of Fury's approach? Because there's no way that's gonna work on Ngannou, and in fact it might get him in trouble. That shift in the gameplanning adds some interesting enough unknowns to the matchup.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it's definitely still on the table for Fury, and it would definitely help. Tyson's still huge and can wrap up Ngannou just fine in a boxing context. Ngannou's gonna waste energy breaking out of clinches. Not in the sense that he shouldn't break out of them, but that he'll exert himself more than he needs to for each clinch, won't be as good at managing pace/effort by using the ref, and that he won't have his targeting dialed to exchange with Fury as soon as they break.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I remember reading this breakdown when he was an up-and-comer and/or when he was fighting Steve Cunningham, but is leaning on his opponents to wear them out still a big part of Fury's approach?

Yes, but with the caveat that Fury is a very versatile fighter and will do whatever he thinks will win him the fight. Watch his first and second fight against Wilder to see him employ two very different strategies to fight Wilder and come out looking better in each of them. He can spoil inside or spoil outside or even bang if he thinks banging is the correct move.

And given that Ngannou isn’t a boxer, Fury probably has even more options than usual. Sort of like how Mayweather realized he could walk McGregor down even though that’s not something he normally has ready to go in his arsenal.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 11, 2023

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah MMA fighters get to connect with cleaner, wilder punches than boxers, and against guys who are in more compromised positions. I’m sure Wilder could send a heavyweight to the moon if he got to take a swing at someone like Francis does in the Overeem fight there.

Also that Overeem KO is one of my all time favs.

Wilder is also just a longer puncher who uses his length and height to get big leverage. He hits harder at range than up close. You’ll hear a lot about how he has no technique but it’s not really true, it’s just that all his technique is based around setting up and landing a few massive shots. When it comes time to land them nobody is throwing harder than him. He puts his whole body into these things. Ngannou probably has better metrics if you measured the force off their 6 inch punch or something. Not sure the best way to measure that kind of power. But having the power doesn’t mean you’re actually throwing and landing punches harder.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2023

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I thought Fury would be able to choose when to end it before seeing that Ngannou best bits video.

Now I think he’ll have to end it early if the guys gonna run into him flailing about like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I will note that Ngannou started training with boxing at 22 and not MMA. He picked up MMA years later because he was homeless after spending a few months in jail in Spain for illegal border crossing. He had nothing in Paris and was staying at an MMA gym because a coach saw his potential.

He's still going to get smoked, but it isn't quite like Ben Askren going into a boxing ring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it probably is on the same level of difference as ben askren fighting jake paul. no? sorry. i didn't know and thought i could get away with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Still thinking about MMA punching in a boxing match. I think it's uncontroversial to say that conor could punch a guy hard. In that fight with Floyd he hit him once clean with a real nice uppercut and Floyd didn't even blink. I think boxing is just different.