Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how it was mutual between Lois and Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
STAS Lex Luthor has the exact same skin color as Superman. Like, there are times they are both on screen at the same time and you can directly compare them. I don't have an issue with a mixed race Lex Luthor, but the STAS version isn't it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
STAS Luthor was apparently based on Telly Savalas, so I just assume DCAU Luthor is Greek.

Man, Telly Savalas would have made a fantastic Luthor, that's my impossible fan-casting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think the mixed race part of it came from Justice League/JLU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

I liked how it was mutual between Lois and Clark.

Same it's very cute

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jimmy messing with both of them was very funny.

I will say one thing I thought was kind of weird was how Pa was just so very old even with kid Clark.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vakal posted:

It has my favorite version of Metallo as well, with the torn up human face.

Every time he's shown up after that he's usually just a jacked up robot.

I fuckin' loved Metallo when I watched STAS as a kid. It was really sad what happened to him. It's been forever but IIRC the dude who became Metallo didn't really understand what would happen to him and he ends up all alone and broken on some island.

But to segue into a wider point, he shows up later as jut a generic thug in a villain team. This is such a repeated problem in these cartoons and I assume comics, too. I remember multiple villains who got nice, nuanced portrayals when they were solo but they inevitably would show up as just a bad guy or bad girl in a team and it sucked. It also happened to Poison Ivy in The Batman who is my favorite animated Ivy. She had this cool, original backstory for the show but later on she's just one of many rogues to be defeated.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 9, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I fuckin' loved Metallo when I watched STAS as a kid. It was really sad what happened to him. It's been forever but IIRC the dude who became Metallo didn't really understand what would happen to him and he ends up all alone and broken on some island.

But to segue into a wider point, he shows up later as jut a generic thug in a villain team. This is such a repeated problem in tehse cartoons and I assume comics, too. I remember multiple villains who got nice, nuanced portrayals when they were solo but they ienvitably would show up as just a bad guy or bad girl in a team and it sucked. It also happened to Poison Ivy in The Batman who is my favorite animated Ivy. She had this cool, original backstory for the show but later on she's just one of many rogues to be defeated.

Even Killer Croc had some complexity in his debut episode! But, yeah, it's a trend in superhero media, I noticed it even when reading 60s Marvel comics.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Croc/Baby Doll episode had some interesting characterization.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Baby Doll is one of those Batman characters who definitely should be used more but she doesn't really work as a standard recurring Bat Villain so you'd need to have something else for her to do to justify showing up, she would probably be a good choice to do a Penguin style overhaul where she's gone "legit" but in a manner that leaves her adjacent enough to Gotham's criminal underbelly to justify her interacting with the Bat Family on a semi regular basis

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

But to segue into a wider point, he shows up later as jut a generic thug in a villain team. This is such a repeated problem in these cartoons and I assume comics, too. I remember multiple villains who got nice, nuanced portrayals when they were solo but they inevitably would show up as just a bad guy or bad girl in a team and it sucked. It also happened to Poison Ivy in The Batman who is my favorite animated Ivy. She had this cool, original backstory for the show but later on she's just one of many rogues to be defeated.

I think most supervillains have tragic backstories, the ones that are rat bastards from the start like Lex Luthor are usually fewer in number. Of course I'm only going off the villains I can think of off the top of my head, if I looked at the (surely enormous) list of villains on Wikipedia maybe the assholes are greater in number.

But yes like you were saying, it is unfortunately a problem in both shows and comics that tragic villains tend to get pushed down to just "bad guy" status over time, especially when they're on a team-up fight. Because people like multi-villain fights just like they and it's hard to (for example) have Spider-Man slow down and appeal to the Lizard's humanity when he's fighting the Sinister Six and there's 5 other guys trying to kill him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This is why we need more Shocker-tier villains

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Livewire seems that way in the new show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not very disappointed that the grown woman who looks like a baby wasn't used very much. Although I did like her in the New Adventures as just a bitter hotel receptionist.

Poison Ivy...I'm not sure she was really that strong of a character in B:TAS. Her schemes are kind of all over the place, and I'm not sure the show really goes into much of her motivations, origins, or inner life. I feel like it's not that much of a walk for her to go from convoluted ecoterrorism to just not justifying her actions as a random goon every so often.

I do think that it's worth saying that while B:TAS is very good and has lots of iconic villains, there's still a decent amount that end up shallow and forgettable (although it's easy to forget about them, because...well). There was the fat guy who kidnapped homeless people to work in a chain gang, the Sewer King, the evil scientist who looked like Moe from the Three Stooges, the three rich guys in animal masks who did crimes for fun, and the remote control car hobbyist bomber.

Vakal posted:

It has my favorite version of Metallo as well, with the torn up human face.

Every time he's shown up after that he's usually just a jacked up robot.

Metallo definitely shouldn't forget his human origins except for that time he forgot everything and was found by some children and almost decided to become a heroic robot.

Air Skwirl posted:

STAS Lex Luthor has the exact same skin color as Superman. Like, there are times they are both on screen at the same time and you can directly compare them. I don't have an issue with a mixed race Lex Luthor, but the STAS version isn't it.

Race can be a very subjective thing that involves more than skin color (there's a number of occasions when a "white" person with a tan and a paler "black" person will have the exact same skintone), and a lot of Lex's facial characteristics, and even the fact that he shaves his head can be read as "black". Although it's not like racial recognition is a science, it's heavily subjective. And the fact that Lex's upbringing is never particularly relevant does imply authorial intent was just that he was another white man.

I do wonder on the other side of things though, whether anyone in like the 50s thought of Superman as "swarthy". Although that's almost definitely not authorial intent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One thing about the animated Poison Ivy that makes no sense is that she’s a vegetarian. Shouldn’t she be horrified at the idea of eating plants, as she screams and weeps when potted plants get smashed around her? I’d expect her to be on the Jordan Peterson beef diet if anything.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SlothfulCobra posted:

the remote control car hobbyist bomber

In all fairness, the villain was not exactly the draw of that episode.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He was a no name? I always assumed that was toyman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Azubah posted:

He was a no name? I always assumed that was toyman.

He was Bruce Timm.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I like how the backstory is being doled out in piecemeal as opposed to getting dumped on us all at once like in the previous animated series.

Also we’re only two episodes in and I think this show already has my favorite versions of Lois and Jimmy (this interpretation of Clark is really good too)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I AM GRANDO posted:

One thing about the animated Poison Ivy that makes no sense is that she’s a vegetarian. Shouldn’t she be horrified at the idea of eating plants, as she screams and weeps when potted plants get smashed around her? I’d expect her to be on the Jordan Peterson beef diet if anything.

Meat is bad for the environment.

The comics tend to go back and forth on what she eats but currently she’s an omnivore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

B:TAS Ivy was just kind of a sexy lady with tentacle plant powers. She would be forgettable if not for that and the later relationship with Harley.

It's The Batman Ivy I like. She's not a bombshell, she's a weird high school nerd eco-terrorist friend/ex-friend of Babs. I thought it was one of the more interesting elements of the show. She also has real plant powers, not just vine tentacles. She nearly took over Gotham one ep.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shame they only used her once or twice

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That is unfortunate for sure. I hear she has a bit more to do in the comic continuation of he show but I never read them.

The Batman...was good. Once I got over "it's not TAS" I realized it does a lot of things very well. I remember a lot of folks hated Batgirl in the show but I liked her a lot. As noted, she has a pretty interesting origin in this one whereas Robin has the same old story. I should get around to re-watching the show.

Detective Yin just vanishing after Season 2 is bullshit, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'll always jump to defend The Batman. It's got it's flaws, but it carved out a niche for itself as a fun, action-focused Bat-series.

First season is heavy on the "hey kids, we have a toy-line!" elements though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

More shows need to be like that. Yes I'm serious, and Transformers/G.I.Joepilled

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

More shows need to be like that. Yes I'm serious, and Transformers/G.I.Joepilled

It'll never happen but I would pay so much money for an animated adaptation of the Tom Scioli Transformers vs GI Joe comics

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

It'll never happen but I would pay so much money for an animated adaptation of the Tom Scioli Transformers vs GI Joe comics

I want an adaptation AND a toyline

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gun god
Gun god

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

catlord posted:

First season is heavy on the "hey kids, we have a toy-line!" elements though.

That aspect always seemed ahead of its time. Some of the toys were supposed to have special features that activated when the Batwave went off in the show, which is some real Small Soldiers poo poo, but it was a decade after all of the Star Wars CommTech chips so maybe it would have worked?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I don't love it in the moment, but several years after the toy-line ends I find it becomes somewhat charming. It just stands out a bit when watching and you see something and go 'what a weird design...' before it clicks that this was a toy design. The Bane episode stands out in my memory for that.

Inkspot posted:

That aspect always seemed ahead of its time. Some of the toys were supposed to have special features that activated when the Batwave went off in the show, which is some real Small Soldiers poo poo, but it was a decade after all of the Star Wars CommTech chips so maybe it would have worked?

See, I saw The Batman when I was a bit too old for the toys so I only vaguely remember seeing ads for them and I have no idea how they worked. I'm curious what specifically activated them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I want an adaptation AND a toyline

Oh yes I've had this idea in my head for years for a TF/GI Joe crossover line where the human figures are done at the 1.25 inch scale that Titan/Prim Master figures use(so about 3 times smaller than the standard 3.75 inch scale GI Joe usually uses) so that the Transformers can have Joe/Cobra vehicle alt modes that mesh up with how the original A Real American Hero line handled it but still fit with standard Transformers figures in a collection not to mention a larger array of vehicles could potentially be covered as part of it*

*for example the existing Collaborative line already did a Megatron that turns into a HISS Tank, since that one has its vehicle mode scaled to 3.75 inch scale it means that figure ended up Leader Class sized, if it had been done under my 1.25 inch scale concept it could have been done as a small Deluxe Class figure in all likelihood, indeed outside of the absolute biggest vehicles or playsets most GI Joe or Cobra vehicles would comfortably fit in the Deluxe to Voyager size range in this concept

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm watching The Doom that Came to Gotham animated movie and it is bizarre how much cruft they added to the story.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Batman had a Dracula movie and it ruled.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So I'm watching The Doom that Came to Gotham animated movie and it is bizarre how much cruft they added to the story.

I understand that's one of the things they do when they make an adaptation. I love The Doom that Came to Gotham, one of my first comics, how is the movie in general? I haven't watched any of their recent animated movies.

Azubah posted:

:yeah:

That blood bank scene is loving wild.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the best way to sum up the difference between the two is that the comic is a Lovecraft story that has Batman elements while the movie is a Batman story that has Lovecraft elements.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

It is unironically one of the best Batman movies, hands down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with the movie version of The Doom that Came to Gotham is that they went way too bland with the art style and so the horror just doesn't hit as hard. Which is especially evident in Harvey Dent's fate.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think the best way to sum up the difference between the two is that the comic is a Lovecraft story that has Batman elements while the movie is a Batman story that has Lovecraft elements.

Unfortunate, but makes sense.

The biggest problem with the movie version of The Doom that Came to Gotham is that they went way too bland with the art style and so the horror just doesn't hit as hard. Which is especially evident in Harvey Dent's fate.

Yeah, I wish they'd be a bit more experimental with their animated movies, the house style doesn't always work. People mentioned that with Long Halloween too. Budget constraints I assume.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

First ep of Superman was good, interesting that they're not going with the whole Hercules-in-the-crib version of his origin. They're doling out his powers and strength pretty late.

I guess I'm always going to be a week behind though? Adult Swim posted part 1 only on their YouTube even though both parts aired on TV that day. Apparently it is being offered in a streaming app in my country but the app never works so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That sums up pretty much every single DC direct to video animated movie except maybe Batman Ninja. If Killing Joke had actually tried to emulate Brian Bolland's art, or Long Halloween and Tim Sale they would have been so much better.