Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well I spent a bunch of time talking someone through my understanding of how they would sidechain poo poo in hardware w/out a dedicated module

and they responded with this picture

I feel trolled.

Also, finally got a bArp. It's bArpy.

e: holding out for the Blue/Gray to go back on sale was worth it (I got Blue Marvin) -- the onboard reverb actually sounds decent. It's not a replacement for a really good standalone reverb, but at 50% it adds a nice sense of warm space, and at 100% it can get downright muddy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't used the RGB to compare, but basically the only good thing anyone has to say about the digital reverb is that I guess it can be hacked and replaced with less lovely effects? :laugh:

I want so many things but I think going to an iPad Pro is the next one, after the vacation I just took, uh... I now own the Korg Gadget2 paid VSTs. All of them. All of them.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

petit choux posted:

Thanks for the reply.

Thank you and yes, I believe I routed the track correctly, as I have with a number of other instruments. I only have one MIDI cable adapter RN and maybe it is the wrong kind, but the USB wasn't doing anything either although the transport did appear to be sending. I'll be looking into this some more. I mean I know it has a nice sequencer but I was thinking of sending from an external sequencer anyway and I'd be disappointed if it can't do that.

Something I find I have to do a lot in reaper is reset midi devices, sometimes stuff doesn’t work even if nothings changed and it comes good after resetting devices in reapers midi device preferences. Hope it’s a simple fix, tbh if transport is sending and notes are not, it makes me think the device needs to be told to listen to incoming notes, page 61 of the user manual says something about turning Aira link mode off first? Could be that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stoca Zola posted:

Something I find I have to do a lot in reaper is reset midi devices, sometimes stuff doesn’t work even if nothings changed and it comes good after resetting devices in reapers midi device preferences. Hope it’s a simple fix, tbh if transport is sending and notes are not, it makes me think the device needs to be told to listen to incoming notes, page 61 of the user manual says something about turning Aira link mode off first? Could be that.

Wow will check it out. Yeah I have to reset MIDI a lot and my problems are aggravated by a Focusrite that seems to keep dying on me while I'm doing music (only). And if anybody has any advice in that regard I'd sure love to hear it too. That has come to the foreground in the past few days.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

petit choux posted:

Can I ask for a little help or at least a sanity check? Hooking up my brand-new S1 to my computer via usb or MIDI, I can't send MIDI notes that it will play. The transport button on REAPER is making it play patterns, but nothing else is happening. Can't it simply play MIDI notes? I've tried a number of cables and both the MIDI in and the supplied USB cable. Like I said, the only thing I've been able to do via MIDI is make the sequencer start and stop. Which is really nice but I kind of assumed if it has a tone generator and MIDI in it would be able to play a note. But maybe not?

Pretty sure this can be done as I just saw Jorb using a Polyend Play to sequence an S1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w2Yzg-wFIXo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Pretty sure this can be done as I just saw Jorb using a Polyend Play to sequence an S1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w2Yzg-wFIXo

Yeah I'm doing other stuff RN but probably this evening I'll get back to it and try to make it run again. I didn't read the manual before I just plugged it in willy nilly so poster above may be correct.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I now own the Korg Gadget2 paid VSTs. All of them. All of them.

lol self-owned

you could’ve bought so many real, useful apps with that money

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol self-owned

you could’ve bought so many real, useful apps with that money

I like the korg ecosystem and I have the derpy hardware for it and it's fun on the go; I basically buy whatever software I want, but by all means continue to make passive aggressive digs at me, I guess? This is what I get for deciding it would be a good idea to post for the first time in a while, yikes.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

well I spent a bunch of time talking someone through my understanding of how they would sidechain poo poo in hardware w/out a dedicated module

and they responded with this picture

I feel trolled.

Also, finally got a bArp. It's bArpy.

e: holding out for the Blue/Gray to go back on sale was worth it (I got Blue Marvin) -- the onboard reverb actually sounds decent. It's not a replacement for a really good standalone reverb, but at 50% it adds a nice sense of warm space, and at 100% it can get downright muddy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't used the RGB to compare, but basically the only good thing anyone has to say about the digital reverb is that I guess it can be hacked and replaced with less lovely effects? :laugh:

I want so many things but I think going to an iPad Pro is the next one, after the vacation I just took, uh... I now own the Korg Gadget2 paid VSTs. All of them. All of them.

building things like compressors and EQs from more basic blocks in modular is fun, not the least of which being it usually lets you abuse the result in ways even dedicated outboard hardware won’t

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

building things like compressors and EQs from more basic blocks in modular is fun, not the least of which being it usually lets you abuse the result in ways even dedicated outboard hardware won’t

I could see it avoiding the "what do you mean there's no cv control over X?" head scratchers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I like the korg ecosystem and I have the derpy hardware for it and it's fun on the go; I basically buy whatever software I want, but by all means continue to make passive aggressive digs at me, I guess? This is what I get for deciding it would be a good idea to post for the first time in a while, yikes.

I’m sorry, I misjudged the tone of my sass. I’m glad you like the Korg stuff. If you want to branch out into other synth apps, pretty much anything Moog on iOS is excellent, as are apps like Patterning 2, Samplr, Borderlands, the Hainbach + Bram Bos collab apps, etc.

We should really resurrect the old iOS/Android music thread. The last one was spun up in like 2012 and puttered around for a couple years before everybody just defaulted to asking about iOS stuff in various other ML threads

All that said, I find Gadget to be pretty frustrating and a little bit predatory in 2023. I understand that it exists for a certain kind of consumer, I was that consumer at one point, but it also feels like it’s kind of pretending to be a DAW, and is priced as such—like in a way that takes advantage of people thinking that some of these expansions are actually worth the $10-20 that Korg charges for them. Once you max it out you’re practically spending Logic money.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 10, 2023

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's literally called Gadget

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
iOS' reason, if they keep finding success, which they seem to keep doing

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m sorry, I misjudged the tone of my sass. I’m glad you like the Korg stuff. If you want to branch out into other synth apps, pretty much anything Moog on iOS is excellent, as are apps like Patterning 2, Samplr, Borderlands, the Hainbach + Bram Bos collab apps, etc.
NP, not posting for a month may have broken the part of my brain that correctly detects sass ;)

quote:

We should really resurrect the old iOS/Android music thread. The last one was spun up in like 2012 and puttered around for a couple years before everybody just defaulted to asking about iOS stuff in various other ML threads

that would be cool, I'm using Gadget2 for a lot of sketches on the go, and also having fun just feeding the output directly into Spectraphon.

quote:

All that said, I find Gadget to be pretty frustrating and a little bit predatory in 2023. I understand that it exists for a certain kind of consumer, I was that consumer at one point, but it also feels like it’s kind of pretending to be a DAW, and is priced as such—like in a way that takes advantage of people thinking that some of these expansions are actually worth the $10-20 that Korg charges for them. Once you max it out you’re practically spending Logic money.
No real disagreement, though I think that the costs are, to me, generally defensible (the only things that were more than 10-15bux are the fairly comprehensive Moog clone, and something else).

I do think they should just give you Windows/OSX licenses for the VST versions of anything you own on iPad (they sell the whole suite for $150 as DAW-pluggable VSTS); they only appear to sell the whole thing and there is no connection to other Korg Gadget2 licenses from iOS as far as I can tell, so, that's some combination of predatory and lazy programming.

The thing that makes it useful to me - this has become an OP-1 replacement that I find generally easier for my smooth brain to understand. It's also got a pretty fantastic if simple MIDI out module, and I've had early and easy success controlling modular from Gadget. With an ES-FH2 or possibly one of the new Noise Engineering modules (or just the new MIDI Thing from Befaco, since I already have CV thing) I can envision pretty easy mobile workflows using Gadget to efficiently control a small portable modular rack, and that seems cool to me.

Yea, an iPad pro is $1200 and then all the gadget poo poo pushes us into MacBook territory. And I do have Live 10, StudioOne5, Reaper. I am still at the phase of DAW obstinence where if I am on the go or loving around live I am allergic to "computer", maybe this will pass in time :)

If they either slashed the price of the iOS plugins, or just gave you full cross-platform licenses for them at the current price, that'd resolve all my issues here. I think the VSTs are defensible at their price point if they were normal VSTs. As is, I will definitely cede "predatory", but, hey, it's on iOS the Predatory Walled Garden OS, and I am comparing it to OP-1 and OP-1F, the Predatory Bespoke Walled Garden Controllers. (Still want an OP-1F. One day.)

And yea it has gotten close to Logic money for me, at least an intro license, but it's not a DAW, I don't think it's actually trying to be one unless you really warp it. I think of it as an unusually powerful, opulently priced sketchpad. I could have gotten a Digitakt for this money, for instance.

As far as "on the go" -- been on some road trips with mostly my spouse driving (2000 miles in 13 days!). Using a tablet in the passenger seat is easier for me and much less annoying for my partner than having me sitting there with a full PC running. I realize this is a super niche use case.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

annnnnnnnd speaking of "gadget" and "on the go", here's a gadget loop I made in the car the day before being consumed by the little MostlyMakeNoise rack I brought on the trip. (Sound up, probably?)

https://i.imgur.com/vTqxwgk.mp4

edit: this whole setup including speaker, plus a Keystep pro, is fully battery powered and portable and will run for 3-4 hrs on a charge :getin: -- I can add a full 2xRackBrute and STILL have 2hrs. That's harder to lug, though.

I'm gonna sit in my treestand and annoy so many deer. I'm not gonna shoot them with bullets, I am going to blast them with square wave harmonics at frequencies I can't even hear. Ought to make me real popular with hunters, too ;)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 10, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

How effective is your speaker for reproducing ultrasonics? Curious how far outside human range these things can go.

Also, that travel setup kicks rear end.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

How effective is your speaker for reproducing ultrasonics? Curious how far outside human range these things can go.

Also, that travel setup kicks rear end.

thanks, and, I have no idea, but now I want to try field recording it and running it through a spectrum analyzer b/c my 40+ ears max out at like 17k and this clearly goes past that.

Just running ultrasound transducers is a funny idea, I could set up motion sensors all over such that hunters would constantly be tripping deer alarms without knowing. That's funny, a problem is that deer piss me off even more than hunters as long as they're not shooting towards my house.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I managed to get a mint condition 1010Music Nano Lemondrop on ebay which arrived today, and it's loving incredible.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAch1Q0Iodc
Is there way to do this in modular? Multiple voices across the same sample. I'm looking at the ER-301 but that seems a little overkill.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Not an answer to your question but that's such a good example of why I love Bitwig's sampler so much. Very simple interface but extremely versatile, particularly when interacting with the modulators. The interface for multisamples could use a redesign, though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAch1Q0Iodc
Is there way to do this in modular? Multiple voices across the same sample. I'm looking at the ER-301 but that seems a little overkill.

anything polyphonic is going to be painful to replicate in modular, but this seems like a similar effect to what you can get with a granular module like beads or clouds with a large grain size

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 11, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr. Glass posted:

anything polyphonic is going to be painful to replicate in modular, this seems like a similar effect to what you can get with a granular module like beads or clouds with a large grain size

Morphagene allows this with the morph control fully clockwise. It plays simultaneously the same gene with 3 copies with pitch variations defined in the option file.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Morphagene allows this with the morph control fully clockwise. It plays simultaneously the same gene with 3 copies with pitch variations defined in the option file.

yeah, the downside there is that you're limited to what you put in the options file. with beads/clouds you could feed it a rapid series of v/oct pitches and triggers (something like WMD arpitect would fit the bill perfectly but there are a number of ways you could pull this off) to get a chord, and if the source pad has a slow enough attack it would probably be hard to notice the arpeggiation.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

polyphonic sampling is a perfect example of something computers do much better than modulars

you're paying for the tech, the screen tech, the form factor, the small maker euro tax, etc, when every DAW I can think of does this out of the box

that being said consider also the 1010 instruments (BlackBox, e.g.) or honestly maybe that Quad Drum from vpd.me.

or maybe a rompler like a JV-1080 (or something, but thats what that video sounded like to me), which isn't gonna let you load sounds but will do all the other stuff

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

polyphonic sampling is a perfect example of something computers do much better than modulars

you're paying for the tech, the screen tech, the form factor, the small maker euro tax, etc, when every DAW I can think of does this out of the box

yeah i agree with all of this. the thing that really "unlocked" modular for me conceptually was thinking about the system as an orchestra instead of a single instrument. you don't get three simultaneous oboe tones by inventing a polyphonic oboe, you get three oboe players.

does that mean that you're never going to (easily) replicate a polysynth sound with a modular? yeah, but you're also never going to get an orchestra to replicate the sound of a piano, they're just different

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
just buy a shitload of 2hp plays imo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Chords man, how the gently caress do they work?

I'ma just get down with bleep bloop robo toots, and crushing distorted drum sounds.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I don't get how people use 2hp modules. My FX Aid is the 4hp version and I feel so cramped trying to twiddle the knobs on it.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Spiggy posted:

I don't get how people use 2hp modules. My FX Aid is the 4hp version and I feel so cramped trying to twiddle the knobs on it.

check out this section of my eurorack :)

this is still nothing compared to something like atom (mutable instruments elements clone) in terms of crampedness. i have that as well. i have somewhat slender fingers i suppose

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I tend to set and forget or use remote cv on any of my 2hp stuff, or have it strategically placed next to a wide module with lots of space. The biggest issue I've had is with their depth, trying to slot them between flying bus connectors.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

Chords man, how the gently caress do they work?

the fun thing about freeing your mind from the shackles of polyphony is that you can start building chords from independent individual voices which can be a whole lot of fun. obviously not at all a new concept but it’s fun to work with as someone who has had a tendency to keep things in neat boxes

B33rChiller posted:

I'ma just get down with bleep bloop robo toots, and crushing distorted drum sounds.

i’ll drink to that :cheers:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Slightly distressed at the idea some people don't distort drum sounds tbh

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

CatBlack posted:

check out this section of my eurorack :)

this is still nothing compared to something like atom (mutable instruments elements clone) in terms of crampedness. i have that as well. i have somewhat slender fingers i suppose

This got me looking at the freeze and man that looks like a fun module even if it's not really a fit the drone-y/ambient stuff I like to mess around with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Given what I’ve learned of tonality, modality, harmony, and rhythm over the past 2~3 years, I can see modular synthesis being incredibly powerful for semi-generative composition and especially for generating ideas and cool phrases to use elsewhere. Almost like programming and algorithms and such.

I just don’t have a good enough understanding and enlightenment to know what to do or why :saddowns:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not just semi-generative but 100% generative. There's a lot of people out there doing exactly that because you can let the patch generate all the notes while you wiggle knobs to add more movement.

RMR put up like 10 hours of generative music done in VCV last week. It's on the second channel if you want to peep it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0493-TSmRw0dA86GZJExJgr9kkJbzI0P

(all the patches are linked in the videos too if you want to try them out, pretty sure he does this with all free modules)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pollyanna posted:

I just don’t have a good enough understanding and enlightenment to know what to do or why :saddowns:
Download VCV Rack and start loving around.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

xzzy posted:

Not just semi-generative but 100% generative. There's a lot of people out there doing exactly that because you can let the patch generate all the notes while you wiggle knobs to add more movement.

RMR put up like 10 hours of generative music done in VCV last week. It's on the second channel if you want to peep it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0493-TSmRw0dA86GZJExJgr9kkJbzI0P

(all the patches are linked in the videos too if you want to try them out, pretty sure he does this with all free modules)

wolrah posted:

Download VCV Rack and start loving around.

Nah I mean like, both putting together VCV patches for “play notes on these voices at these times based on this chord progression where each note relates to the others in a certain way” as well as actually knowing what “this chord progression” and “these times” and “a certain way” should be. As much fun as I have had with VCV, I’m not a genius and I wouldn’t be able to replicate a Castlevania soundtrack or something using only algorithmic generation. I wouldn’t know where to start and it’d be a clunky implementation anyway.

Like for example: what’s an example of a patch that can derive a bassline given a bass voice, a key/mode, plus a whole drum track (kick+snare+hh)? How would it know the root, the 3, the 7, etc. and which of those would work in the bassline? How would it know when each of those notes should play? How would it know the rhythm it plays them in fits well with the drum track?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 12, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Pollyanna posted:

Nah I mean like, both putting together VCV patches for “play notes on these voices at these times based on this chord progression where each note relates to the others in a certain way” as well as actually knowing what “this chord progression” and “these times” and “a certain way” should be. As much fun as I have had with VCV, I’m not a genius and I wouldn’t be able to replicate a Castlevania soundtrack or something using only algorithmic generation. I wouldn’t know where to start and it’d be a clunky implementation anyway.

Like for example: what’s an example of a patch that can derive a bassline given a bass voice, a key/mode, plus a whole drum track (kick+snare+hh)? How would it know the root, the 3, the 7, etc. and which of those would work in the bassline? How would it know when each of those notes should play? How would it know the rhythm it plays them in fits well with the drum track?

Simple example: repeating envelope for pitch information, ornament and crime for selecting scale and key, then send triggers into ornament in crime from something like grids or marbles. left over trigger channels from grids/marbles can be used for drums. you can then modulate things on these modules to get more variation.

Also fun: combing different lfos at different rates for more varied note information

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

That's "trying to run before you've learned to walk" territory so no wonder it sounds hard. Very few people doing generative are doing covers and those that are are probably at the top of the game.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Or you just hide a Midi to CV module someplace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I use the soundtrack as an example of relatively poppy, structured music - not that I mean covers of existing work.