Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jake Gittes posted:

I didn't realize (or just forgot) that Rick Perry was the governor for 15 years. I guess we're stuck with Greg for a while longer.

he's there as long as patrick wants to stay lt gov imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

boss' boss about to testify and is probably dreading going into this clusterfuck

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

LanceHunter posted:

Now that I've had the HEB MealSimple brisket queso, I don't know that I could go back to velveeta and rotel. It's just as easy to make, tastes so much better, and when you're done you've got one of those serving tins that are amazingly useful to have around.

We tried this last night it was good. At the very least, better than some restaurant queso I've had.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat the house committee is specifically talking about my job, that's nuts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

drat the house committee is specifically talking about my job, that's nuts

As long as they aren’t like “we need to get rid of it”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ajcorchado/status/1677359173389160448

Whoa goddamn

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's too many

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Does that mean like.... they'll kill him, and then revive or resuscitate him, over and over again?

Like a hosed up Flatliners?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't get the point of it, Texas has a LWOP statute but I guess the feds don't. Just have a sentence that's permanent imprisonment. I guess it's for the victim's families, to feel like the guy is being punished for their specfic loss

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

The Bananana posted:

Does that mean like.... they'll kill him, and then revive or resuscitate him, over and over again?

Like a hosed up Flatliners?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
man think of the density we could get by stacking baby jail cells

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I thought the point was to prevent people from getting out by overturning a single sentence?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/InternetH0F/status/1678029648360267776

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

... Meth?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We ceded that piece of land as part of the ILLEGITIMATE compromise of 1850 that stole all our northern and western hinterlands, in exchange for the US government taking on our sovereign debt

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That was stolen from 1st Nation tribes when they were slaughtered and genocided.

And was stolen AGAIN a second time after making Oklahoma essentially Native American penal colony and then just having the government basically say, "go settle everything white people don't mind the Indians they're just living there."

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 9, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

And meat packing.

Not the fun kind.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

And was stolen AGAIN a second time after making Oklahoma essentially Native American penal colony and then just having the government basically say, "go settle everything white people don't mind the Indians they're just living there."

i love using the "sooner" as a mascot

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Jiro posted:

That was stolen from 1st Nation tribes when they were slaughtered and genocided.

I've said it many times before, but one thing I appreciate about Oklahoma over Texas is that Oklahomans are never taught to be proud of our history. It's mostly a lot of "we did a lot of bad poo poo to Native Americans, then we starved in the dust bowl" in schools. Texas puts a ridiculous positive spin on all its bad history.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Isn't the Superintendent of Tulsa ISD trying to say that the Tulsa Massacre wasn't race related?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Texas has the dubious honor of not only downplaying the Texas Indian Wars but downplaying the role of the Black Seminole Scouts in ending it. Twofer!

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I've said it many times before, but one thing I appreciate about Oklahoma over Texas is that Oklahomans are never taught to be proud of our history. It's mostly a lot of "we did a lot of bad poo poo to Native Americans, then we starved in the dust bowl" in schools. Texas puts a ridiculous positive spin on all its bad history.

Yeah, I didn't know the Texas Revolution was a land grab based on slavery until college. I really believed that Texas' founders were fighting back against tyranny. I hope it's gotten better, that was 35 years ago.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Jiro posted:

Isn't the Superintendent of Tulsa ISD trying to say that the Tulsa Massacre wasn't race related?

No no, that was the STATE Superintendent, who is a three Fox News talking points in a trenchcoat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I assume Oklahoma has plenty of problems of its own considering how it's also a red state, but it's not big enough to make the national news and I guess there's enough empty space between the populated parts of Oklahoma and the populated parts of Texas that there's not much spillover.

Surprisingly good public daycare though.

zoux posted:

We ceded that piece of land as part of the ILLEGITIMATE compromise of 1850 that stole all our northern and western hinterlands, in exchange for the US government taking on our sovereign debt

Texas was lucky to have its western claims enforced, and then it decided to specifically shave off the top of the state to make sure that it could be a slave state without disrupting earlier compromises.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jesus III posted:

Yeah, I didn't know the Texas Revolution was a land grab based on slavery until college. I really believed that Texas' founders were fighting back against tyranny. I hope it's gotten better, that was 35 years ago.

hey now, some of it was the rich-Mexican-rural-landowner equivalent of libertarians who didn't want to risk Mexico having a strong central government (which is easier to rephrase as tyranny but make no mistake, a bunch of these guys were shitheads)

joke's on them in hindsight

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

and letting us keep slaves - dont forget about that

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jesus III posted:

Rename Travis County imo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's no Richards County yet

what would be the best replacement? ivins county? o'hare county? :v:

cochran county was wasted on the wrong person

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 9, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

i say swears online posted:

there's no Richards County yet

what would be the best replacement? ivins county? o'hare county? :v:

cochran county was wasted on the wrong person

Im sure there is already a Hooks County - but for this thread - Hooks County.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

All counties should be renamed to Garza, Garcia, or Gonzalez and Gonzales. :colbert:

The Drunk History segment on the Texas "Revolution" and the Alamo are gooduns.

https://youtu.be/DdStIvC8WeE

Here's the first episode of a Behind the Bastards overview of Border Patrol and it's huge strong ties to the original Texas Rangers and their racist murderous ideals and actions.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 9, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/1678187280106680322

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no! no!! controlled from afar by the COMNOLA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jesus III posted:

The bigger land grab was the Mexican-American war, which was entirely predicated on the Texas Republic creatively misinterpreting where the border for the province of Texas was supposed to be.

With the Texan Revolution, I think looking at it as just a Texas-centric event might be wrong, since it was just one of many provinces that were revolting against Mexican rule at the time (albeit the most successful). Slavery was definitely was one of the things that Texas wanted to defend, but there were still a number of other things that the provinces were rebelling against. The guy who wrote the pre-Santa Anna federalist constitution wound up becoming Vice President of the Republic of Texas.

The poor relation between Mexico's central government and its various provinces were a big part of how the US could just take so much territory with relatively little trouble.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1678372538177540096

It’s Roland’s turn

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1678372538177540096[url]

It’s Roland’s turn

So the big question: How will this effect the out-of-state money faucet? Allred clearly has the advantage there, but the WFAA headline does lead with those magic cash-summoning words: "Ted Cruz faces a new challenger".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People are going to find that Roland Gutierrez is a psychotic ambulance chaser. His only political platform is gun control so that'll probably draw in some cash but firing shots at Allred like that out of the gate doesn't bode well for the primary and Bexar vs Dallas dems.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

zoux posted:

People are going to find that Roland Gutierrez is a psycho

but is he the psycho we need to unseat ted?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jake Gittes posted:

but is he the psycho we need to unseat ted?

One throughline you see in every story about him, positive or negative, even in this very kind write up about him
https://twitter.com/ben_c_rowen/status/1678359656362565632

Is that he's an inveterate grandstander who is probably using the Uvalde families as political props.

quote:

Until recently, he was a fairly unremarkable lawmaker. Gutierrez served twelve and a half long years in the Texas House. Through most of that time, he was roughly middle-of-the-road among members of the House Democratic Caucus—not one of the most progressive members but also not one of the most conservative. He earned a bit of a reputation for being not the shrewdest member of his caucus—he was regarded by his Democratic colleagues, usually affectionately, as a grandstander. (The 2009 edition of this magazine’s Best and Worst Legislators list dinged him for repeated trips to the microphone to “debat[e his] elders in a grating, fingernails-on-a-blackboard manner.”)

From the Best and Worst list:

quote:

Gutierrez’s persistent focus on gun safety hasn’t always served his constituents, who effectively have been without a senator this year. Patrick froze him out. Gutierrez filed 28 bills; none even got a hearing. It’s possible he’ll never be able to get much done as long as Patrick rules the Senate.

Some Democrats question Gutierrez’s motives. It’s likely he will run for U.S. Senate against Ted Cruz in 2024. “It’s about him and not the [Uvalde] families,” said one former Democratic staffer about Gutierrez.
And again his one and only policy position is Uvalde and gun control so in that way he's probably the worst possible Democratic candidate imaginable.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 10, 2023

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
yeah but i legit don't care about any of that if ted is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uvalde Co. went 60/40 Abbott in '22. If the largely Hispanic county in which the massacre happened didn't care, I doubt the state will either.