Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HalloKitty posted:

in this instance, one of bitlocker policy forced on external devices; yes

:stare: This is amazing. Windows VM on host seems to be working fine. I even get to use the Dell Recovery Tool so that I don't have to come up with another Windows license. Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Funniest poo poo I've read all week

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bet there's nothing preventing host integration so you can copy files into the VM and then write them out to a flash drive

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You're braver than I am, if I tried doing something like that my security software would send our company IT an immediate alert and then they'd tell my manager with our director CC'd.

But I'm in banking software so our machines are locked down hardcore

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit nevermind fixed

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 4, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a free app that will play Blu-ray movies on my computer? I don't need anything beyond basic playback, just would like to see what's on the disc sometimes before ripping it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Is there a free app that will play Blu-ray movies on my computer? I don't need anything beyond basic playback, just would like to see what's on the disc sometimes before ripping it.

I think VLC can just do this. You might have to fiddle with the Region if memory serves, but it can do it all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think VLC can just do this. You might have to fiddle with the Region if memory serves, but it can do it all.

I get an error that it "needs a library for AACS decoding", but that seems fairly simple to work out. Thanks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you're to where you can successfully rip, then you should be good with just about any player.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
My Windows 11 machine will very occasionally like every 3-4 weeks blue screen and then reboot into UEFI while not being able to find my M.2 drive. Power cycling the machine fixes it and gets me back to the desktop. That sounds like a power issue most likely, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

My Windows 11 machine will very occasionally like every 3-4 weeks blue screen and then reboot into UEFI while not being able to find my M.2 drive. Power cycling the machine fixes it and gets me back to the desktop. That sounds like a power issue most likely, right?

No, I would say #1 culprit the M.2 drive, #2 the OS / drivers / software, #3 the mobo, #4 other hardware including power supply.

I would get the software from whichever company makes your SSD (Samsung Magician, WD SSD Dashboard, etc) and check for:
* drive health
* firmware updates
Also look for mobo bios updates, followed by OS reinstall if none of the above pan out.

A blue screen is not immediately suggestive of PSU problems. After all, the computer is still able to successfully display a blue screen, meaning it still has usable power. Full hard reboots or complete power-offs are the reasons to look at the PSU as the first thing to swap out.

However, bad PSUs can have all manner of symptoms so it's also not ruling it out. A PSU swap is one of the things I'll try any time where I'm stumped by everything else turning up blank.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

No, I would say #1 culprit the M.2 drive, #2 the OS / drivers / software, #3 the mobo, #4 other hardware including power supply.

I would get the software from whichever company makes your SSD (Samsung Magician, WD SSD Dashboard, etc) and check for:
* drive health
* firmware updates
Also look for mobo bios updates, followed by OS reinstall if none of the above pan out.

A blue screen is not immediately suggestive of PSU problems. After all, the computer is still able to successfully display a blue screen, meaning it still has usable power. Full hard reboots or complete power-offs are the reasons to look at the PSU as the first thing to swap out.

However, bad PSUs can have all manner of symptoms so it's also not ruling it out. A PSU swap is one of the things I'll try any time where I'm stumped by everything else turning up blank.

It's a TeamGroup MP33 and as far as I can tell S.M.A.R.T is giving no indications (checked with TeamGroup's own utility) and I don't see any mention of new firmware. My mobo is on latest firmware and has been forever. In UEFI I've only changed RAM timings, fan curves, and some sleep power settings to keep USB power off during hibernate. Drive read and write rates look normal. I guess it's time to reinstall OS and hope that I see improvement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Windows

Why is my page file forty-four gigabytes

What are you doing

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Windows

What are you doing

Page is frequently *about* the size of your Physical if you let Windows self-manage it (which you generally should), but you can limit it if you so desire.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Page is frequently *about* the size of your Physical if you let Windows self-manage it (which you generally should), but you can limit it if you so desire.

My physical is 16! That’s almost three times the size!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

Windows

What are you doing

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
Paged pool and working set columns

or
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/vmmap

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

so i tried opening vmmap and explorer froze, restarted itself, and when it restarted i suddenly had a sanely sized pagefile again. gonna guess something made a memory leak in there!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Really not sure which thread this question should go in, but here:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will automatically change the refresh rate of my monitor when I launch certain applications - I thought this would be a fairly simple thing, but I cannot find a straight answer on google.

Use case is, knocking my 144hz monitor back down to 60hz for certain games. I have a gigabyte m32qc monitor, and AMD RX580 (soon to by 6700XT whenever I get around to putting it in my PC) if that makes a difference.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shouldn't your Radeon be able to do that with Application Profiles? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-012#faq-Application-Profiles

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really not sure which thread this question should go in, but here:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will automatically change the refresh rate of my monitor when I launch certain applications - I thought this would be a fairly simple thing, but I cannot find a straight answer on google.

Use case is, knocking my 144hz monitor back down to 60hz for certain games. I have a gigabyte m32qc monitor, and AMD RX580 (soon to by 6700XT whenever I get around to putting it in my PC) if that makes a difference.

I also wonder why you want to do that?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tesseraction posted:

Shouldn't your Radeon be able to do that with Application Profiles? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-012#faq-Application-Profiles

Pvt. Parts posted:

I also wonder why you want to do that?

I like to play C&C3: Tiberium Wars every once in awhile, but scrolling around the map looks terrible on this monitor. The game is hardlocked by the devs to run at a max of 30fps, and I thought using my monitor in 144hz mode was causing the issue.

However, I just switched my monitor to 60hz and scrolling around on the map still looked terrible so...now I don't know.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Does your monitor support freesync?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Was it smoother before? If so was that on a lower resolution monitor?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

oh no computer posted:

Does your monitor support freesync?

Yes, it does! Although I get confused with all the different freesync settings and modes and stuff.

Tesseraction posted:

Was it smoother before? If so was that on a lower resolution monitor?

The game was released in 2007 - it's definitely not a performance issue in that regard.

Klyith posted:

Could be the overshoot / overdrive causing inverse ghosting? RTS games are some of the worst for that, after side-scollers. Find whatever the OSD calls the overdrive setting and set it to the max quality mode or whatever the opposite of "gaming mode" is.

Also in general since you have a freesync monitor you want to be using freesync in your GPU control panel + vsync turned on in games... but most monitors with VFR also have a minimum refresh rate and 30hz might be too slow.

I will check this - thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

However, I just switched my monitor to 60hz and scrolling around on the map still looked terrible so...now I don't know.

Could be the overshoot / overdrive causing inverse ghosting? RTS games are some of the worst for that, after side-scollers. Find whatever the OSD calls the overdrive setting and set it to the max quality mode or whatever the opposite of "gaming mode" is.

Also in general since you have a freesync monitor you want to be using freesync in your GPU control panel + vsync turned on in games... but most monitors with VFR also have a minimum refresh rate and 30hz might be too slow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The game was released in 2007 - it's definitely not a performance issue in that regard.

I get that but what I mean is that some things that looked all right on smaller monitors can look like poo poo at higher resolution because your eyes do some of the interpolation and if the difference is bigger you just can't do it. Sometimes just playing the game windowed can end up looking better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tesseraction posted:

I get that but what I mean is that some things that looked all right on smaller monitors can look like poo poo at higher resolution because your eyes do some of the interpolation and if the difference is bigger you just can't do it. Sometimes just playing the game windowed can end up looking better.

Gotcha - totally possible, I guess.

Really everything looks fine, until I start scrolling the map around. Seems like it "judders" and is extremely unpleasant to look at.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So I got the audio for my PC running through the HDMI port on my video card, and my stereo receiver does this annoying thing where the audio takes a second to start playing again if it stops for whatever reason
If I load up this Doom editor Slade and open a wad it seems to send a constant silent signal that keeps it from doing that, surely there's a proper program or setting somewhere to do that properly?
I'm running win10 and the video card is a geforce GT 730

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://veg.by/en/projects/soundkeeper/

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

nice this is exactly what I needed, thinks

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Asking for help about windows, hope it's ok to do in this thread.

So I built a new PC, all great, works fine. Followed online advice and booted windows from a usb, didn't activate the key. Did a windows reset on the old PC, intending to move my windows license over to this new one. When I go through the steps and go to activate windows, and hit troubleshoot, then I recently changed hardware on this device, it shows my old pc but not my new one. When I log in to the microsoft website, it shows both pcs as linked to my account, with which I am logged in (to both the website and pc). Any idea what gives/what to do? The only thing I can think is I initially logged into this new pc with a different, old microsoft account (like from when I was a teen, no idea why it still even works), but when I log in to the pc with that one it doesn't show either device, and the website has neither pc as connected to that account. Sorry if that makes no sense, I can try to clarify with visuals or something if need be

Edit: Also old one was using 10, this one 11 if that matters

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 15, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Did a windows reset on the old PC, intending to move my windows license over to this new one.

Windows reset doesn't de-activate the license, just clears user data and resets the OS to "like new".

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

When I go through the steps and go to activate windows, and hit troubleshoot, then I recently changed hardware on this device, it shows my old pc but not my new one. hen I log in to the microsoft website, it shows both pcs as linked to my account, with which I am logged in (to both the website and pc).

This probably means you have a regular OEM key, which MS claims you're not supposed to move to a new PC. You can only move your license to a new PC via "I changed PC" if you have a retail or MS Store key. (IE the one that costs $$$.)

You want to get back onto the old PC with your MS account, then run
slmgr /upk
slmgr.vbs /cpky
from an admin command prompt. That will de-activate the license. I'd do that while online and logged in to your MS account. That should free up the key to activate on the new PC. (And then do another reset on the old one to re-wipe your account.)

But also, OEM keys are $15 from the goons in SA mart with great reputations. I don't gently caress with MS accounts myself, and the two times I've tried to make this whole procedure work for other people it's been a hassle compared to $15.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Klyith posted:

Windows reset doesn't de-activate the license, just clears user data and resets the OS to "like new".

This probably means you have a regular OEM key, which MS claims you're not supposed to move to a new PC. You can only move your license to a new PC via "I changed PC" if you have a retail or MS Store key. (IE the one that costs $$$.)

You want to get back onto the old PC with your MS account, then run
slmgr /upk
slmgr.vbs /cpky
from an admin command prompt. That will de-activate the license. I'd do that while online and logged in to your MS account. That should free up the key to activate on the new PC. (And then do another reset on the old one to re-wipe your account.)

But also, OEM keys are $15 from the goons in SA mart with great reputations. I don't gently caress with MS accounts myself, and the two times I've tried to make this whole procedure work for other people it's been a hassle compared to $15.

Good to know, thanks, I'll head to SA mart

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
ever-relevant plug for https://www.lodgenorth.com/

I have activated several windows 10 installs with those $5 windows 7 keys, a+ all around

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should probably just say Windows is free for home use. We're in this weird twilight zone where you need a license still, but a license is only $5-10 and you don't have to buy it from Microsoft.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TOOT BOOT posted:

They should probably just say Windows is free for home use. We're in this weird twilight zone where you need a license still, but a license is only $5-10 and you don't have to buy it from Microsoft.

Every PC in the world already comes with a Windows license, unless you DIY or go out of your way to buy a linux laptop. That's where they make all the money and why they'd never make it free. The number of people who ever need to care about this, or buy a $10 key, is very small.

The $10 keys aren't exactly kosher. Not illegal, but probably "not for resale". If you are installing windows on PCs for commercial purposes you probably shouldn't use them.

(Also you can use it forever without a key. You can't change your desktop background and you have a message saying you're not activated. That's it. It's otherwise fully-functional even if you install Pro. You get updates and everything.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It does feel a little bit like MS is trying to either punish or extort the few people who are in the market for retail Windows licenses. If I could buy a Pro license directly from MS for something vaguely in the ballpark of what Dell pays per machine sold, I doubt I would bother with grey market keys or moving licenses when I repurpose machines.

Assuming that Dell doesn't actually pay $200 for each copy of Win11 Pro they sell, of course.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

It does feel a little bit like MS is trying to either punish or extort the few people who are in the market for retail Windows licenses.

Eh, maybe kinda, but upgrades are now free forever. So at least you're only being extorted once.

I dunno, I feel like it's a legacy of the 90s when all OSes cost that much money. The price for Windows got set at $100-200, and the lack of competition plus the dwindling importance of retail OS purchase meant it never got revisited. Instead of changing the price they've changed the lifecycle cost by making upgrades cheaper, and then free.

There are actually good 100% free options these days between android, chromeos, and real linux. So I don't think the extortionate cost of a retail windows license is entirely about abuse of monopoly power. It's the overpriced TV at the front of the store to catch the people who buy a TV without putting any effort into comparison.

Computer viking posted:

Assuming that Dell doesn't actually pay $200 for each copy of Win11 Pro they sell, of course.

Prices for OEM licenses to big OEMs depend a lot on what category of PC they go onto. On a tablet the price for Home can be as low as $0, on a high-end ultrabook or desktop machine Pro is likely somewhere in the $40-50 area. Back when non-subscription Office was a thing the Pro + Office config was $80-100. (Now it appears MS will throw in a year of Office 365 for minimal cost or free.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'd be surprised if it wasn't incentivised to as close to zero as they can get it for the big OEMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It is rather remarkable that Microsoft has successfully changed how they generate revenue. Particularly when compared to Google, who has yet to be more than an advertising company in terms of revenue generation.