Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

The T-64 can fire a missile out of its tank barrel, a trait it shares with the US Sheridan tank. This was weirdly in style at the time.

:actually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

R. Mute posted:

european politicians are like the maggots living in the corpse of what was once a powerful region. they still pretend to wield power even though they can't even imagine what power is anymore. in actuality they're either stripping the walls for copper or they're just collecting a paycheck, while getting ready to pivot to something more profitable.

when they then meet figures like erdogan or putin, they're suddenly faced with demons who have lied, manipulated and murdered their way to power in the absolute chaos that is their countries, and who aren't afraid to unabashedly wield that power to their advantage. seeing them face off is just utterly embarrassing for the euros. just utterly pathetic.

A good way to put it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tazjin posted:

Like how non-tech people cover their laptops in stickers that have no meaning.

Am I to understand that to computer touchers those stickers are sortie marks?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lol at the new poster gimmick.

The Nazi can steal the Swastika from the Buddhist, they are not going to steal 88, 168 from we Cantonese.

Also Erdogan go get them!

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:23 on Jul 10, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Am I to understand that to computer touchers those stickers are sortie marks?

I'll try to explain how it works to an outsider.

Basically every computer toucher starts with one sticker (of their choice). When they kill another computer toucher, they can take their sticker(s) for themselves.

If you see someone with many pristine stickers - this is stolen valor! As they're transferred between laptops, the stickers naturally become worn down. If you see someone whose laptop is covered in many worn-down and peeling stickers, that is a true warrior who has eliminated many other computer touchers (or a smaller number of old and powerful ones).

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

As a computer toucher I've never put stickers on a laptop besides asset tags. Even tech people I've worked with rarely do; must be a regional or BYOD thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who puts stickers on a laptop is a poser wearing a uniform from a surplus store and medals from the wrong country entirely. It's a halloween costume.

A true veteran computer toucher who has actually got their hands dirty and bloodied themselves on a sharp piece of cheaply pressed steel edging owns a full ATX tower case they have re-used for many builds. Every sticker from every component they have ever purchased is adhered to the casing. That's why it has both an Intel Inside and AMD sticker. Corsair and G.Skill RAM. Nvidia and ATI. A glow in the dark RAZER sticker even though none of the peripherals are anymore. That sort of thing.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Micro$oft

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this is a heroic act and also a cowardly act on the Russians part to not come out and admit they did not blow up the bridge.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rheinmetall gave me a sticker for their death robot, I had no idea why. Now taking bids for stolen nerd valour.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wow this is super wierd, there are news channels saying that the Kremlin announced that Putin personally met with Prigozhin five days after his mutiny, ill find a source.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

A true veteran computer toucher who has actually got their hands dirty and bloodied themselves on a sharp piece of cheaply pressed steel edging owns a full ATX tower case they have re-used for many builds. Every sticker from every component they have ever purchased is adhered to the casing. That's why it has both an Intel Inside and AMD sticker. Corsair and G.Skill RAM. Nvidia and ATI. A glow in the dark RAZER sticker even though none of the peripherals are anymore. That sort of thing.

I've been here lol. My computer is like a computer of theseus, with lineage that can be traced to the late 1990s.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

BadOptics posted:

As a computer toucher I've never put stickers on a laptop besides asset tags. Even tech people I've worked with rarely do; must be a regional or BYOD thing.

Computer touchers usually have an uncomfortable budgetary relationship with hardware especially in infrastructure roles so we don't like to mark hardware in ways that could potentially upset who we are leasing it from or whoever is running our maintenance contract

Never worked in a support team that didn't stock goo be gone for this very reason

I get a lot of stickers but they usually end up on hardware we would be e-cycling anyway

Frosted Flake posted:

Rheinmetall gave me a sticker for their death robot, I had no idea why. Now taking bids for stolen nerd valour.

This is the most powerful sticker to put over the apple logo you can possibly get

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Jul 10, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

hey its those cute goofy robot thingies from the x-com reboot.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Computer touchers usually have an uncomfortable budgetary relationship with hardware especially in infrastructure roles so we don't like to mark hardware in ways that could potentially upset who we are leasing it from or whoever is running our maintenance contract

Never worked in a support team that didn't stock goo be gone for this very reason

I get a lot of stickers but they usually end up on hardware we would be e-cycling anyway

With so much of the stuff being done by 3rd party, it does not really matter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

never mind

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

european politicians are like the maggots living in the corpse of what was once a powerful region. they still pretend to wield power even though they can't even imagine what power is anymore. in actuality they're either stripping the walls for copper or they're just collecting a paycheck, while getting ready to pivot to something more profitable.

when they then meet figures like erdogan or putin, they're suddenly faced with demons who have lied, manipulated and murdered their way to power in the absolute chaos that is their countries, and who aren't afraid to unabashedly wield that power to their advantage. seeing them face off is just utterly embarrassing for the euros. just utterly pathetic.

That perfectly describes Ameircan politics as well, unless you're a republican than you still have some idea of how politics work

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

R. Mute posted:

"But Putin can't do that! I have a piece of paper here that says he's not allowed to!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

wow this is super wierd, there are news channels saying that the Kremlin announced that Putin personally met with Prigozhin five days after his mutiny, ill find a source.

Putler is obviously scared of Boss Boi Prigozhin

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KomradeX posted:

That perfectly describes Ameircan politics as well, unless you're a republican than you still have some idea of how politics work

that's because america and western europe are a single system.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you haven’t been issued so many nigh-identical latitudes and elitebooks that you cannot imagine feeling any sense of proprietorship over one you’re a poser

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp88 posted:

Quote where I said I am a gimmick. I have consistently been the only one in this thread to criticize Russia’s use of cluster bombs and mines, if that makes me a “weirdo” to people like you then so be it. At least I don’t make wild accusations without facts to back it up, like you and many others in this thread.

e: “Avowed Nazi”? That is a ridiculous accusation, I have been the only poster here to fight back against fascism in all of its forms, Nazism and tankiesm.

oh no

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
People are making a big fuss over what's clearly just a textbook case of blastogenesis

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I think the 88 gimmick is excellent and if played more subtly would be totally indistinguishable from the real thing. Either 08 will be forced to be less of a Nazi in response so you can tell them apart or they can own the brand together.

lol yes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clark Nova posted:

if you haven’t been issued so many nigh-identical latitudes and elitebooks that you cannot imagine feeling any sense of proprietorship over one you’re a poser

Toughbooks suck, right? It's not just me?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what do militaries think about tablets?? is the tablet interface not robust enough?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not seeing a lot speculation about what's going to go down at the NATO summit in a few days.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Toughbooks suck, right? It's not just me?

The rugged segment sucks all around tbh. It require too many compromise to achieve what is asked. They are all stuck in an escalating battle of making it tougher and additional carelessness by the end user. We got Toughbook because the regular laptop would break when they fell out of their attach points on forklifts and it ended with IT call for Toughbook broken because after falling to the ground, a forklift ran over it. Now we are going with tablets with stronger cases and fixation points but we "know" some will oddly detach from the stand and break on the ground.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like it's better to have something that's cheap to replace rather than something that won't break, because it's still going to brake and you're going to need to replace it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Still probably less reliable than a ThinkPad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds like it's better to have something that's cheap to replace rather than something that won't break, because it's still going to brake and you're going to need to replace it.

$105

$86

Priceless

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Jul 10, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Not seeing a lot speculation about what's going to go down at the NATO summit in a few days.

to hazard a guess there's gonna be a big ol' round of the blame game

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

$105

$86

Priceless

tacticlol briefcase

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can't believe I got that mastercard commercial reference. I don't think I've seen it since I stopped watching cable TV.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Lostconfused posted:

I don't think anything interesting will come out of it, at least publicly. Privately we might get some leaks about NATO frustration with how poorly the counteroffensive had gone compared to expectations, but that's it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

We all agree Russia is bad (the worst, actually) and we're going to send Ukraine weapons until Russia is defeated

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNXdPGlx14

For gently caress's sake lol

They're going to have to build a base, because that's a loving MBG, not a BG.

e: The PM promised a Brigade... but 4CMBG is still not on the rolls... so how is this all going to work? I probably have a long afternoon and week ahead lmao kill me.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jul 10, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Keep hearing how NATO is extremely united about supporting Ukraine but also not at all united about how much to support Ukraine.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNXdPGlx14

For gently caress's sake lol

They're going to have to build a base, because that's a loving MBG, not a BG.

e: The PM promised a Brigade... but 4CMBG is still not on the rolls... so how is this all going to work? I probably have a long afternoon and week ahead lmao kill me.

a baltic or eastern european posting is getting closer and closer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

I've been here lol. My computer is like a computer of theseus, with lineage that can be traced to the late 1990s.

It's so weird when you finally do a gr0ound up fresh build.

I've got both the old rigs in the garage, pretending they'll see use again