Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Supradog posted:

(seller says he slid into a fence)

He's blowing smoke up your..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s less of an exhaust and more of a blowhole at this point

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooh, someone is selling an Interceptor for $1400, I'm very tempted. How are they? Always liked the look, and I mean it's a Honda so I assume there will be no major issues.
Not running right now but the previous owner tried to work on his carbs and that's what stopped it, probably an easy fix.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

Yeah nah

Like maybe they were issue free in 1985 but nowadays they are a very complex bike from a very long time ago.

The carbs are the 'hardest' part of them, but only because people try to half rear end it on the cheap. If you're prepared to take out the carbs and rebuild them completely, not just some gaskets and a few jets, they are fine. There is a cottage industry devoted to this so parts are no problem, it's just time consuming and taking them in and out of the bike sucks. Patience required above and beyond the normal i4 stuff you might be used to. The idea of doing them when someone else has already had a go makes my skin crawl but who knows, you might get lucky.

The rest of the bike is physically ok - engines are mechanically reliable, cycle parts are standard 80's Honda (well made but horribly inadequate), electrical system is what you'd expect for the age and era.

Imo they are fun in a novelty sort of way, but the handling is desperately lackluster in relation to the firepower of the engine; it isn't really something you can address past a certain point because the fundamental geometry and mass distribution of the bike sucks. They feel very top heavy and awkward to ride at low speed, the brakes are useless, there is a questionable anti dive system, the shock was crap in the day and is completely destroyed by now. So the standard early 80's sportbike experience with added complexity and assorted Honda nonsense, in exchange for which you get a cool fun engine that makes a nice noise.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Have been going to some fun riding at a local gocart track for the last few weeks. Some lady is there now and then, taking photos of the people riding.

I'm so crossed up leaning over that I can't even look at the photos without my face going red. Ugh.

At least now I know and can (maybe) start working on that a bit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

Lmao

Yeah nah

Like maybe they were issue free in 1985 but nowadays they are a very complex bike from a very long time ago.

The carbs are the 'hardest' part of them, but only because people try to half rear end it on the cheap. If you're prepared to take out the carbs and rebuild them completely, not just some gaskets and a few jets, they are fine. There is a cottage industry devoted to this so parts are no problem, it's just time consuming and taking them in and out of the bike sucks. Patience required above and beyond the normal i4 stuff you might be used to. The idea of doing them when someone else has already had a go makes my skin crawl but who knows, you might get lucky.

The rest of the bike is physically ok - engines are mechanically reliable, cycle parts are standard 80's Honda (well made but horribly inadequate), electrical system is what you'd expect for the age and era.

Imo they are fun in a novelty sort of way, but the handling is desperately lackluster in relation to the firepower of the engine; it isn't really something you can address past a certain point because the fundamental geometry and mass distribution of the bike sucks. They feel very top heavy and awkward to ride at low speed, the brakes are useless, there is a questionable anti dive system, the shock was crap in the day and is completely destroyed by now. So the standard early 80's sportbike experience with added complexity and assorted Honda nonsense, in exchange for which you get a cool fun engine that makes a nice noise.

I'm not too worried about the carbs, I've rebuilt enough of those (although if it's built anything like the cbr I know what you mean about what a pain it is to get them out).
I shouldn't spend the money anyways, but they usually go for 5-6k so seems like a good deal

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Have been going to some fun riding at a local gocart track for the last few weeks. Some lady is there now and then, taking photos of the people riding.

I'm so crossed up leaning over that I can't even look at the photos without my face going red. Ugh.

At least now I know and can (maybe) start working on that a bit.

Making some assumptions here, but elbows up and out (not necessarily as much as a dirt bike, but you don't want them tucked in to your torso), and hold your grips towards the end/outside. If my bar end fell off, it would be cupped between my ring/pinky and palm.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Never buy a non running bike for over a thousand dollars

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Never buy a non running bike for over a thousand dollars

It's like 1500 now what with inflation

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Opopanax posted:

they usually go for 5-6k so seems like a good deal

Opopanax posted:

Not running right now but the previous owner tried to work on his carbs and that's what stopped it, probably an easy fix.

Alarm bells are ringing. Maybe it’s not an easy fix if they’re selling the bike for a quarter of what they usually go for?

Buy it and tell us everything!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds like he got it from someone else. I didn't want to dig too deep but I have a feeling it was an estate sale thing
I'm going to keep an eye on it, if I can get it for close to a grand I might lose my self control

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 6, 2023

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I recently paid a dumb amount of money for Desmo service and I’m still happy that I sold my VFR before I had to work on the carbs based on what I’ve seen.

With that said the V4 is a dope rear end motor and I think everyone should have one at some point, but maybe not in a questionable old(?) Interceptor.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Speaking of V4s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIzA5WYePNM

Gonna enjoy following this one

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just took a joyride just before sunset on local twisties, steaming from a recent rain shower that missed me (gotta love having a doppler radar phone app for these situations). It was really nice, no traffic and overall just fine riding. What really impressed me is my newish tires - I've never ridden the angel GTs with any gusto in the wet before, but they felt great and I'm super happy with them. I'll have to wash the bike again tomorrow but it was easily worth it.

opengl posted:

Gonna enjoy following this one
Yeah that was pretty good watching. Subscribed.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Little bit late to posting but I did moto trip in June from Victoria -> Port Angeles and then clockwise direction around the Olympic Peninsula to Ocean Shores and then back to PA and ferry back to Vic.

I learned you can show up late as hell to the ferry and still get let on, I didn't test this but asked the guy. While waiting I always love looking at what other people are riding and besides the Street Triple my Kawasaki Ninja ER6 was the smallest bike. I kinda want to pivot to one of the Vstroms soon as I'm finding the moto touring my favorite part about the whole thing. I rarely daily my moto any more. There was a guy with a proper big GS setup and it was loving sweet. I had my eyeballs all over it. That being said I really want one of the Streep Triples with the double exhaust coming out the back. In my brain that is the coolest looking thing, but I wouldn't even be able to put soft bags over it so I need to just keep dreaming.

Moto line up.

The little Ninja on a ship.

Breakfast of champions.

Bye bye Canada.

I rode a from PA to get a feel for the temp and when I got gas I decided to layer up. Weather wasn't particularly good and apparently in WA all the highways have a rumble strip down the middle so it made any kind of passing in the wet pretty sketchy. I felt my rear slip at 120 kph and then I decided just to settle in. The drive is OK. With the precip my half assed gear worked out. I was very thankful for the waterproof winter gloves I bought, they saved the day, my hands were cold but still responsive on the controls. Went through Kurt Cobains hometown of Aberdeen and as the sign says "comes as you are", thought about stopping at the Taco Bell but since it was poo poo weather I just found a place to piss and pressed on to Ocean Shores. I had booked the cheapest room possible. I think it was $80 CAD. I really didn't know what to expect.

Ocean Shores is a deeply weird place especially in the off season. I love travelling in June and rolling the dice on the weather because the roads are empty. My hotel ended up being pretty frickin good for $80. In retrospect I'll plan my trips to stay a day in the town I'm going to so I get a chance to just hang out and explore. The overnighter is a but rough on.

It's kinda like the town from Jaws but unironically.

My $80 CAD room. Not bad.

Took advantage of the pool for sure.

After I chilled out for a while because honestly it was a pretty taxing ride in the wet at highway speeds I went to the beach. Worth the price of admission right there. The sun was setting but the beach goes beyond the vanishing point. It was a sublime experience.

Beach just keeps going.

Set up shop here for a while.

After I was at the beach I needed to find some food as you can not survive on beer alone. Went to an "Irish Pub" got some passable shephers pie. Got to talking to some locals and went to another bar. I didn't drink too much and only light beers so my bar tab ended up being like $12 lol. :patriot:

A guy asked me what kind of bike I was riding and his response was "ohhh one of those zipper bikes." not exactly sure what he meant but i take for granted being male and white sometimes and this is one of those situations that i was reminded of prejudices that people have, even if he didn't mean anything by it.

Riding back the weather was better, but still a good amount of precip unfortunately so just minded my speed in the corners. It did dry out by the time I went around Lake Cresent so that was pretty sweet. Unfortunately by this time I noticed my crankcase was leaking a bit of oil. I told my brother than when I changed my stator the company didn't send me a gasket at the same time and I went ahead with it anyways and he just laughed and said "thats mechanics 101, always put in a new gasket." So I have to take that apart again lol. My left boot upper is totally non-stick at this point.

On the way back I met these Germans (one guy just smoking cigarettes non stop) who were riding from Mexico to Alaska. One Super Tenere and two big GS BMWs also really kitted out well. All in all kind of a weird trip but an experience for sure. I really wish I had taken an extra day at my halfway point to chill out or explore around before heading home. Pretty confident my next bike is going to be something more suitable for this kind of trip, even though I can bodge it with my bike or a street triple I see why people have the touring style.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Awesome trip! That sounds like a blast and is on my list for sure.

“Zipper bike” is probably referencing the racist/derogatory term “zipperhead” popular with boomers/greatest gen for vietnamese soldiers and asians in general.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao this guy using Strava. Well done sir.
Sure hope you didn't displace some KoM/QoM records, if Strava tracks that for online skates lol

Also, holy poo poo a Garmin 520. I had one over a decade ago and tracked many miles on it over different bicycles until I finally lost it on a MTB ride :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
*chugs unleaded*
"Don't drink your calories!"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Could also have been thinking it’s one that “zips” around and not meant anything by it. Racism is so baked into our language that I think it’s honestly difficult to tell whether it’s happening on purpose or not a lot of the time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lmao this guy using Strava. Well done sir.
Sure hope you didn't displace some KoM/QoM records, if Strava tracks that for online skates lol

Also, holy poo poo a Garmin 520. I had one over a decade ago and tracked many miles on it over different bicycles until I finally lost it on a MTB ride :(
i begrudgingly gave up my 500 after the charging/connecting port gave up the ghost for the 2nd time after sending it in for refurbishment, the bluetooth upload on the 520 means it will probably last forever, my battery will read 2% after a couple of hours but will actually last for 12+ hours. i want to do a moto ride and just post it public and just light up everyone's inbox with KOM theft.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My 520 has a crack in the screen from a mtb crash but still chugging along. Even though I just use my Apple Watch now because I’m pretty casual and it’s super convenient.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got an iPhone 11 Pro as my motorbike GPS now because apparently even the dinky single cylinder on a RC390 is enough to fry the camera on them if you mount it on the bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those little singles are especially bad at vibration.
You can mount a modern phone to the bars without breaking the camera IS, with some anti-vibration mount.
I've been using a Pixel 6 Pro and then a Pixel 7 Pro on my Monkey and VStrom with this mount:

The thin wires eat up the bar vibrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

yeah, its lesson learned unfortunately. Probably for the best since I grabbed the 13 mini as a replacement before apple discontinued it since every phone is the size of a loving tablet now that even my gigantic spider hands can barely hold.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'll recommend QuadLock until I'm blue in the face ever since I totaled a bike and my phone came out unscathed. They make a vibration dampener that works well enough that I've never noticed issues with my camera. That said, I also use an old deactivated phone as GPS and just pair it to my actual phone which I keep in my pocket or backpack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

I'll recommend QuadLock until I'm blue in the face ever since I totaled a bike and my phone came out unscathed. They make a vibration dampener that works well enough that I've never noticed issues with my camera. That said, I also use an old deactivated phone as GPS and just pair it to my actual phone which I keep in my pocket or backpack.

This is the move. My old iPhone can get blasted by the sun, rain and vibrations while my actual phone that I use sits in my pocket

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
both of you need to step your dadbike games up and get one with built-in carplay / android auto in the dash

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

both of you need to step your dadbike games up and get one with built-in carplay / android auto in the dash

In most threads I pretend I don’t have a road glide and only ride a Ducati Scrambler.

On my touring bike I put my phone into the glove box and just view my GPS on the 7” screen.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have been using Quadlock for a few years now and have never had a single problem out of them. We have them in the van, at least two of the bicycles, two of the motorcycles, and on my scooter.

Vibration dampener plus wireless charging mount is kinda ugly, but goddamn was it nice to have directions and a full battery during my road trip.

Someday I’m sure I’ll have something with a big ol’ integrated screen, but not yet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
this is a brake/break thing that drives me and likely only me nuts every time I see it, but it's damper, not dampener - same as it would be if you're discussion suspension

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A dampener is something that makes another thing wet.

A damper is something that dampens (or damps if you want to be pedantic) another thing

English is easy and definitely makes 100% sense :pseudo:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

... Correct.

*Puts grammar police baton away slowly*

Don't let it happen again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
*slaps cover of OED*
This bad boy can fit so many loving exceptions in it

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A dampener is something that makes another thing wet.

A damper is something that dampens (or damps if you want to be pedantic) another thing

Hey man take it up with the dictionary.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Quad Lock too lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that technical writer? straight to jail

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe