Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zero_Grade posted:

Anyone buying a box of Mirage boosters for $10k (or hell $3k) was/is dumb as poo poo. It was a fun set back in the day and I do wonder how it is to draft, but power creep has completely eclipsed it. You aren't pulling that many LED to justify that price, come on now. It is annoying that so many other cards have retained their jacked-up price levels.

It's not about power creep or playability. It's old, the company made a promise not to reprint certain things out of fear of losing customers that were buying product like crazy during the baseball card and comic collecting boom, and old sealed product commands a value. My asspull theory is all these geek collectibles that are worth a ton of money is to wash money of crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Things are worth whatever you can convince enough losers to pay for them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PT6A posted:

Things are worth whatever you can convince enough losers to pay for them.

I mean, scarcity of video cards in 2017 because of a RAM shortage and rush to buy hardware to mine Ether drove the retail price of video cards through the roof. People who wanted to upgrade their hardware for current generation video cards were paying over $400 new from retailers when six months to a year before they were $200. PNY and AMD both recognized that we're all willing to pay two to three times the original retail price and kicked out new hardware for as high as they could squeeze people for.

We're all fuckin idiots.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Early 2021 the NBA licensed a line of NFT's called top shots, and 180k people spent $45m on them in like 2 weeks

And then the market evaporated to nearly nothing in a couple of months.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are comparatively few people who actually want to own an NFT for its own sake. Virtually all those buyers were flippers hoping to get rich quick in a bubble

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kalli posted:

Early 2021 the NBA licensed a line of NFT's called top shots, and 180k people spent $45m on them in like 2 weeks

And then the market evaporated to nearly nothing in a couple of months.

Top Shots was my intro to NFT's, and my initial reaction was "what the gently caress is this poo poo and who the gently caress would actually be interested?"

And it lasted as long as the NBA Experience in Disney did.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just saw Biden salute to the British guards around Charles. I hope this isn’t gonna be the next scandal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just saw Biden salute to the British guards around Charles. I hope this isn’t gonna be the next scandal.

Must have spotted an Irishman in the crowd or something

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I know fash are immune to charges of hypocrisy but it will be very easy to just show that pic of Trump saluting a North Korean general as a retort.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the people that were able to be swayed by crap like saluting the wrong person were mostly WWII vets and aren't around anymore. At this point if somebody complains about a president saluting someone it's going to be because of a pre-existing antipathy towards said president. So maybe you get a few days of RWM whining about it but it's pretty much completely inconsequential; nobody is going to be mad who wasn't already mad at Biden for a thousand other things.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It would be a bigger deal if Obama did it. I feel like RWM don't amplify meaningless poo poo like how low the president bowed or how they shook hands or whatever if it wasn't Obama doing it

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Obama's numerous scandals such as the dijon mustard, the saluting, the tan suit, really put into perspective his whole presidency.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Morrow posted:

the saluting
which an actual marine put into perfect perspective ten years ago

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

It would be a bigger deal if Obama did it. I feel like RWM don't amplify meaningless poo poo like how low the president bowed or how they shook hands or whatever if it wasn't Obama doing it
Obama's salute-related sin was saluting Marines while getting off AF1 with a hand that he was also holding a coffee in. That was a big thing for a few days.

Saluting troops - all of whom, of course, are outranked by the Commander-in-Chief - is some stupid bullshit Reagan started anyway. Kind of funny that we're doing it with other country's troops now. You just gotta love troops!

All in all, I would prefer if Biden didn't salute the silent-stonefaced-funny-hat guys who are loyal to a foreign monarch, but I also don't really care. (Maybe one of the guards was a Catholic Irish immigrant, and he could tell.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

which an actual marine put into perfect perspective ten years ago

lol I can't even tell if this is satire

Poe's Law man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No today's invented Biden Scandal is that he's too mean

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1678407680514314240

This is literally like that one SNL sketch about Reagan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

He cannot be both of these people.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
He's 146 years old, of course he's moody lol

These dipshits are going to end up making me actually like the guy more.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol I can't even tell if this is satire

Poe's Law man
Pretty sure it was a satire of the right wing reaction; I remember it being posted in the Political Cartoons thread. The author of that comic is a Marine but not a chud.

Really I think any military member would be incredibly honored to hold the loving President’s umbrella, even if they didn’t vote for him.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I feel like that story can be interpreted as Biden being a no-nonsense badass. It's certainly not nice, but does the president have to be nice? It's pretty hard to imagine that somebody could rise to that level without having the ability to really go off on people when they feel it's necessary. As long as it doesn't rise to the level of like, a hostile employment situation, then he can yell and swear as much as he wants if that's what he needs to do to get his point across.

I always thought the Hartman sketch was pretty flattering to Reagan even if the point was that he was an evil bastard.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I read that as dementia lampshading. People can get temperamental and lash out from it. The comments on record from staff are just PR.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't think he had dementia in 2008.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

I read that as dementia lampshading. People can get temperamental and lash out from it. The comments on record from staff are just PR.
It's possible, although it's just speculation. It would explain how he could have had a 50 year reputation from his Senate and Vice President days of being a good guy to work for but then supposedly turn into a cantankerous b-hole in his late 70s (if that's what happened.)

But I dunno - I mean, the tweet story about the intern is from 2008; I don't think anybody thinks Biden was demented in his mid-60s. And he's definitely always dropped f-bombs as liberally as he's legislated and governed. (He was memorably caught on a hot mic saying "this is a big fuckin' deal!" to Obama before he gave his address following the ACA passage.)

I mean, if Zients was willing to be his Chief of Staff after getting blown up on, it suggests that Biden's anger is part of a somewhat coherent management style, and that it's tolerable to at least stiff-spined staffers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I feel like that story can be interpreted as Biden being a no-nonsense badass. It's certainly not nice, but does the president have to be nice? It's pretty hard to imagine that somebody could rise to that level without having the ability to really go off on people when they feel it's necessary. As long as it doesn't rise to the level of like, a hostile employment situation, then he can yell and swear as much as he wants if that's what he needs to do to get his point across.

I always thought the Hartman sketch was pretty flattering to Reagan even if the point was that he was an evil bastard.

Oh it's for sure flattering in the result, that's almost what everyone was saying on twitter lol "This is just making me like him more". I don't think that was the intent.

As an aside, the way Axios formats their articles makes me irl angry.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mellow Seas posted:

Pretty sure it was a satire of the right wing reaction; I remember it being posted in the Political Cartoons thread. The author of that comic is a Marine but not a chud.

Really I think any military member would be incredibly honored to hold the loving President’s umbrella, even if they didn’t vote for him.
yep, the guy making it was a marine making fun of the people complaining at the time

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

One of the bigger surprises of the Nixon White House tapes was that, in private, he swore like a sailor, and this shocked American audiences for some reason. "Hot pants? Jesus Christ!" etc.

Now obviously Richard Nixon did nothing wrong, but this kind of veneration of the position itself and thereby imbibing the person holding it with immunity to social mores probably wouldn't fly all that well with CNN audiences. If your boss cussed at you, to get a point across, that'd still feel uncomfortable, I imagine? And conversely, would you cuss at your co-workers, or your boss? I guess cussing in general is OK, yelling at a computer or venting about things seems more socially acceptable, but this specific invented scandal is about cussing at a subordinate which seems mean. If this random Axios story is true or not doesn't seem to matter, since your argument is specifically that the POTUS can cuss and yell at people because the POTUS doesn't have to be nice. Which, well, on the face of it fair enough, each of them have been war criminals since Truman, but I am not sure how to de-lineate a hostile work-place situation from people being cussed at for getting a point across.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Why not? Delaware is a tiny state, so while you have less compition, you need to develop a good retail politics game ( so you create a chill public persona ) but you also need to be an ambitious bastard to climb the poltical ladder high enough to be the president.

The questioning the staff is interesting to me, but that's only because I heard an interview on someone who worked in the Obama adminstration and the Biden adminstration, and he mentioned that he does more intense prepwork becausw Biden basically grills the staff every meeting about the policy they are in discussion about.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rappaport posted:

...this specific invented scandal is about cussing at a subordinate which seems mean. If this random Axios story is true or not doesn't seem to matter, since your argument is specifically that the POTUS can cuss and yell at people because the POTUS doesn't have to be nice. Which, well, on the face of it fair enough, each of them have been war criminals since Truman, but I am not sure how to de-lineate a hostile work-place situation from people being cussed at for getting a point across.
It's funny, there are contexts where that kind of management is considered acceptable, and places where it isn't. Maybe it shouldn't be anywhere. But there's no denying that people like movie directors and sports coaches do poo poo like that to workers and nobody has a problem with it unless it reaches some real extremes. (And of course much worse is allowed in the military, but those workers have already ceded rights.)

I wonder if part of what makes it "okay" is an employee being at the top of their field - anybody who is the Covid Czar for the White House is probably capable of saying "gently caress this" and going to get another job, probably with a pay raise. If a player can't stand his coach yelling at him so much, he can hold out for a trade or just retire with his millions. They have flexibility that your average worker doesn't have, and as a result there is less power differential between those kinds of workers and their bosses. Biden can be a dick to people like Zients but he also knows that they can walk if he goes too far.

Twincityhacker posted:

The questioning the staff is interesting to me, but that's only because I heard an interview on someone who worked in the Obama adminstration and the Biden adminstration, and he mentioned that he does more intense prepwork becausw Biden basically grills the staff every meeting about the policy they are in discussion about.
If Biden's analytical thoroughness is one of the things people take away from this story, it might make me think it's a pro-Biden story laundered as an anti-Biden story.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 10, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems like these staff stories are completely partisan: Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Marianne Williamson, Biden now. We don't ever hear stories about how GOP figures are bad bosses, and I don't think it's because there aren't any bad Republican bosses.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

It seems like these staff stories are completely partisan: Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Marianne Williamson, Biden now. We don't ever hear stories about how GOP figures are bad bosses, and I don't think it's because there aren't any bad Republican bosses.
I feel like part of conservative ideology is that your boss is allowed to be mean to you, and if you don't like that, well, you should've thought of it earlier and worked harder so you could be the boss. So nobody gives a poo poo if Chip Roy is out calling his staff motherfuckers; of course he is.

All of conservatism is basically a psychological coping mechanism for "I love my dad but he was really mean to me."

It's also interesting that those previous targets of this type of attack were all women - I feel like it's the kind of attack that, among the general public, would be much, much less effective against men, because misogynistic culture gives them more license to be aggressive.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 10, 2023

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
The quotes in that article from the Jeff Connaughton are from his 2012 book, so covering his time as a staffer for biden, then as a staffer for ted kauffman from working on financial reform.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I feel like part of conservative ideology is that your boss is allowed to be mean to you, and if you don't like that, well, you should've thought of it earlier and worked harder so you could be the boss. So nobody gives a poo poo if Chip Roy is out calling his staff motherfuckers; of course he is.

All of conservatism is basically a psychological coping mechanism for "I love my dad but he was really mean to me."

It's also interesting that those previous targets of this type of attack were all women - I feel like it's the kind of attack that, among the general public, would be much, much less effective against men, because misogynistic culture gives them more license to be aggressive.

There could be more men, that's not an exhaustive list, just what I could remember off the top of my head. I would not be surprised however if it was overwhelmingly women.

https://twitter.com/IAPolls2022/status/1678409240053006337

Rod, what are you doing man.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
nobody wants diet trump

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DeSantis pullin' off the full Liz Warren and losing his own state's primary, huh?

zoux posted:

There could be more men, that's not an exhaustive list, just what I could remember off the top of my head. I would not be surprised however if it was overwhelmingly women.
I do remember Tom Ashbrook from the popular PRI show "On Point" was fired for what seemed like entirely non-sexual but very abusive behavior. But that's just more of a workplace issue than a public-facing PR issue; nobody was doing oppo research on Tom Ashbrook.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

zoux posted:

There were multiple books written and published about how terrible a boss Trump was.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There were multiple books written and published about how terrible a boss Trump was.
Right, but obviously Trump is a terrible boss, because he's a huge dick 100% of the time. Whereas eg Klobuchar or Biden publicly present themselves as very agreeable people. So it's a bit of a different situation. Trump definitely doesn't want people to think he's a nice boss. gently caress, he had a TV show for over a decade where his catchphrase was "you're fired."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's also another FL regressive politician having some ex staffers filing things.

but yeah there's probably some cherry spear phishing happening.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

This is literally like that one SNL sketch about Reagan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

He cannot be both of these people.

That "get the gently caress out of the car" story has the unmistakable stink of diehard wonks who thought putting their whole careers into the political machine would bring them all sorts of personal benefits, only to be shocked when somebody tells them to act like an actual human being or gently caress right off.

And my gut instinct was dead-on, because I've tracked down the source of that story, and his tell-all book describes a downright embarrassing list of complaints about Biden.

quote:

“Like Napoleon, Biden had captured his personal Toulon at a very young age,” Connaughton writes of the man who was elected to the Senate before his 30th birthday.

He tells of raising money for the senator and getting little in the way of appreciation – not even a thank-you note until he dropped a hint he wanted one – and of Biden treating young aides poorly.

Connaughton recalls a story from the lead-up to Biden’s ill-fated 2008 presidential run.

“Later in the campaign, a twenty-three-year-old fundraising staffer got into a car with Biden with a list of names and phone numbers: ‘Okay, Senator, time to do some fundraising calls,’” Connaughton writes. “Biden looked at him and said, ‘Get the f**k out of the car.’”

Connaughton fell hard for Biden in 1979 when the vice-president, then a young, ambitious senator, gave a typically fiery speech at the University of Alabama and Connaughton, a student, rode back in the car with the senator to the Birmingham airport.

By 1988, Connaughton had found his way to Biden and worked as a junior aide for the then-senator’s first presidential foray before landing a job on his Senate staff. After graduating from law school, he explains that he wanted to land a job in the White House Counsel’s office. So Connaughton says he asked Kaufman, then Biden’s chief of staff, if the senator could put a call into Abner Mikva, Bill Clinton’s White House counsel. Kaufman told Connaughton that Biden wouldn’t do it because Biden didn’t like Mikva.

“Ted tried to console me,” Connaughton writes of Kaufman: “ ‘Jeff, don’t take this personally. Biden disappoints everyone. He’s an equal-opportunity disappointer.’ ”

In an interview, Kaufman said he doesn’t recall this specific conversation but emphatically denied that he would say such a thing about Biden, his former boss and close friend.

“In general, I would never say ‘Biden disappoints everyone’ because I don’t believe it,” said Kaufman, adding that he never recalled hearing Biden say anything negative about Mikva.

He declined to discuss the book or Connaughton further.

Connaughton writes that the turn of events left him to conclude that Biden was not interested in helping those who had been loyal to him.

“His ambitions, I was coming to understand, were mainly about himself,” writes the former staffer.

Connaughton did wind up landing the White House job and ultimately made his way along the well-trod path to K Street, joining Covington & Burling and wasn’t disappointed enough in Biden to not use the senator to his benefit

“In my new career as a lobbyist, I dropped Biden’s name shamelessly,” writes Connaughton. “Perpetuating the myth that I was close to him enhanced my cachet and standing in Washington. It was like a political version of codependency. Biden’s slights could be painful, but it seemed too late to break ranks, even though the relationship never actually helped me when I went to work with [Washington lawyer-lobbyist] Jack [Quinn]. Biden never lifted a finger for me or for one of my clients.”

Still a lobbyist when Biden prepared to run for president once again 5 years ago, Connaughton signed up to serve as the Treasurer of the senator’s PAC.

Mocking Biden’s long-windedness, Connaughton recalls a Houston dinner fundraiser he organized

“As a longtime staffer, I knew to keep flexing my knees while standing through a Biden speech,” he writes. “After awhile, I noticed that the room was getting uncomfortably warm. Suddenly, a woman fainted. Two men caught her and carried her out a side door. Biden just kept on speaking … As the guests filed into the dining room, I stood in the foyer and asked a couple of them for their impressions. ‘He’s got senatorial disease,’ one said. ‘He talks too much.’ At that moment, the front door opened, and the foyer was bathed in the flashing red lights of the ambulance into which the fainting victim was being loaded.”

Connaughton briefly returned to Bidenworld in the days after the 2008 election, but quickly had to resign his position as chair of the vice-president’s inaugural committee because of the new administration’s tough rules on lobbyists.

“It didn’t seem fair,” he writes. “Biden had never helped me once as a lobbyist, yet I was paying the price.”

Look at how hard his complaints center around the fact that Biden didn't do him any favors. He complains that Biden didn't use his influence to get him a sweet White House job, he complains that Biden never did anything for him during his lobbyist years, and he complains that the Obama administration's anti-lobbyist rules weren't fair to his attempts to cozy up to the new administration. Hell, he complains that Biden didn't give him (a junior aide at the time) a personal thank-you note for doing his fundraising work.

Of course, that's not even a full accounting of Connaughton's faults. After all, it doesn't cover what he did between his first meeting with Biden in 1979 and when he "found his way" to the Biden campaign in 1988. Fortunately, there's other pieces that cover that period:

quote:

Connaughton didn’t immediately head to Washington. First, he went to the University of Chicago business school. (Biden had written a letter of recommendation.) It was 1981, and Time ran an article, called “The Money Chase,” about the vogue for M.B.A.s; the cover image showed a graduating student whose mortarboard had a tassel made of dollars. Connaughton, the son of a government engineer and a homemaker, had never had money, and Wall Street’s allure was almost as strong as that of the White House.

For two years, he worked at Smith Barney—first in Manhattan, then in Chicago. In 1985, missing the South, he passed up a large bonus and joined the E. F. Hutton office in Atlanta. Several months later, the firm pleaded guilty to two thousand counts of wire and mail fraud. In Washington, Joe Biden, who was a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, began talking on TV about the epidemic of white-collar crime on Wall Street and the failure of the Reagan Justice Department to police it. In a speech at N.Y.U., Biden said, “People believe that our system of law and those who manage it have failed, and may not even have tried, to deal effectively with unethical and possibly illegal misconduct in high places.” He was getting set for the big race.

The guilty plea cost E. F. Hutton business and began hollowing out the firm, but Connaughton survived. He worked in the public-finance department, specializing in underwriting tax-exempt bonds issued by state and local governments. One day, he came up with a marketable idea: in Florida, many towns and counties had huge pension liabilities, so why not arbitrage them? Create a fifty-million-dollar pension bond, borrow at four per cent, then invest the tax-free money for a few years, at six or seven per cent. “It was a kind of scam on the U.S. taxpayer,” he said later. But his boss was pleased.

At twenty-seven, Connaughton was an assistant vice-president, making more than a hundred thousand dollars a year, but this was not what he wanted to do with his life. By the end of 1986, it seemed clear that Biden would run for President in 1988. Connaughton knew an E. F. Hutton lobbyist who had connections to the campaign, and he got a job as a junior staffer, at twenty-four thousand dollars a year. No longer able to afford the lease payments on his new Peugeot, he traded it for his parents’ 1976 Chevy Malibu. As Connaughton recalled, “I had done Wall Street, and I was going to do the White House next.”

loving embarrassing. An investment banker who got one of the firm's lobbyists to get him a junior aide job at the campaign after his bank got completely wrecked by fraud convictions, and has nursed a decades-long grudge over the fact that Biden never gave him any sweetheart favors during his lobbying days. Not exactly a shining beacon of reliability there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

World Famous W posted:

yep, the guy making it was a marine making fun of the people complaining at the time

I read the article that came with the cartoon and basically he said:

1) It's a made up controversy and
2) if you think making a Marine hold an umbrella is humiliating, you don't know what Marine had to go through in basic.

edit: I've staffed politicians before and either he wasn't suppose to be in the car or the staffer who told him to get into the car hosed up and should of made it right.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

If I wrote a tell-all book about working with a President, I would simply not admit to being a sniveling little k street fuckface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every single person that guy has ever met either in IB or DC is the same so he doesn't realize it's bad.