Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They were friends as children, that was their whole relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s kind of why the curse is so hosed up in the first place

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The pacing is a bit weird for a movie and the humor can be off at times, but the animation was good and ikari shinji finally grew a pair of balls (they even have the same shoes, feel intentional at this point). Could definitely tell some scenes were added just to give side characters a cameo but that's fine. It was still a fun watch. hosed up that there was a Dio Brando in Geto's group that never ends up doing anything tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://youtu.be/VUXHOBT0sUM

July

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

july

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So from the PVs it looks to be (more) backstory for the teacher and the monk, do we actually go back to the present with the main cast in this season?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mordja posted:

So from the PVs it looks to be (more) backstory for the teacher and the monk, do we actually go back to the present with the main cast in this season?

Short absolutely spoiler free answer: Yes.

Longer answer (no big spoilers): The subtitle of the series is Kaigyoku Gyokusetsu / Shibuya Incident so we can assume it will cover those 2 arcs at least. Kaigyoku Gyokusetsu is the backstory arc, Shibuya is in the present. The backstory arc is pretty short in the manga so it shouldn't take up too many episodes, but it also functions as a a gigantic exposition drop for the Shibuya Incident arc.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We are so back today folks

Happy season 2 day

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Manga people please spoil me, are the dynamics of this season going to be wacky bullshit? Gojo wasn't this abrasive in S1 and so were the rest of the student cast.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SlowBloke posted:

Manga people please spoil me, are the dynamics of this season going to be wacky bullshit?

-------No.------

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlowBloke posted:

Manga people please spoil me, are the dynamics of this season going to be wacky bullshit? Gojo wasn't this abrasive in S1 and so were the rest of the student cast.

Remember this is Gojo 12 years ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad they kept in the Digimon analogy

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Manga people please spoil me, are the dynamics of this season going to be wacky bullshit?

By the end of this season, you'll reaaaally wish it was. :stonklol:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Young Gojo is kinda a dick huh

And not the endearing kind either

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I intentionally avoided getting caught up with the manga because I was waiting for this. Although I did start reading the current chapters. But basically everything before a certain point I'm ignorant about/fuzzy on.

Poor Utahime...

Also, is Ieri gonna go through one of those "I had trauma so I decided it was easier working with corpses" type moments?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Young Gojo is kinda a dick huh

And not the endearing kind either

There's a 90% chance they stole that bike in the OP from Utahime.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

The wacky bullshit was the best part of the ep

The first 10 minutes felt super stifling and a little boring with how they were playing it. The minute the op ended everyone was allowed to go off model for jokes and it made the ep way better lol

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Finally got around to seeing the movie. It was great, but oh boy now I have questions about wtf is going on with Geto in the first season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the second season has started. So look forward.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We'll probably get to it tomorrow. It was actually having the second season that pushed us to watching the movie instead of waiting for a friend.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Should I watch the movie before starting season 2? Never did get around to it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

didn't read the manga but s2 hasn't mentioned anything so far from the movie. they're recapping both in a month though lol

i'd recommend watching it at some point though, it had some good animation and it's a nice self contained story

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I think so, it raised some questions that I can't imagine are going to be ignored for very long.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The movie is fine to watch at any point, it's a prequel. It gives context to events that have been mentioned, and gives background on Okkotsu who was previously (before the extra chapters that the movie is about were released) only mentioned and never shown.

On the manga side, I read those chapters first (because Viz has them listed first) and it didn't feel out of place.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

You don't need to watch the movie but if you wanna know the chronological order of things:

The events of the Hidden Inventory arc (this arc in S2) -> JJK0 -> JJK proper

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it introduces some stuff/have some character interactions that seem like they'll be important in this arc going forward, but ep1 didn't really have any of that knowledge be remotely necessary

it's mostly just contrasting how characters in the present(ish) treat each other vs how they used to talk to each other

the movie is, like, fine. the animation is sick as hell though and it's worth watching just for that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

The movie is fine to watch at any point, it's a prequel. It gives context to events that have been mentioned, and gives background on Okkotsu who was previously (before the extra chapters that the movie is about were released) only mentioned and never shown.

On the manga side, I read those chapters first (because Viz has them listed first) and it didn't feel out of place.

That's because it was written first. Part 0 was its own short series in another magazine that was successful enough for Jump proper to run a full ongoing of it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cool, sounds like I'll have to find some time to watch the movie this weekend then.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So between the movie, first episode of the second season, and a refresh on the first season, I think have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen this arc. Presumably it's going to impact things whenever they return to the present, but there are a few threads that could be pulled on. Is theorizing a typical activity here?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah theorizing is a good thing generally. If you're particularly worried you can put it in spoiler tags.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ok, so here goes.

Based on the movie and the first episode of the second season Gojo and Geto have a falling out and their philosophies and goals crystalize. Because we're getting this flashback arc, I have to assume this is the inciting incident. They're sent to retrieve the star vessel girl and poo poo goes down, presumably Gojo has some sort of revelation about the senior sorcerers and tries to save her and fails (maybe the other way around), so he decides he needs to destroy the system. Geto also has his revelation and flips into wanting to kill all non-sorcerers. I'm guessing it's about needing to sacrifice the girl to uphold their society, like the sorcerers are terrified of other people finding out they exist. Solution 1 (Gojo) is to make a better society of sorcerers so they don't have to sacrifice more people. Solution 2 (Geto) is to kill all the non-sorcerers so their society is secure. Geto kills a bunch of people and is kicked out.

If you throw season 1 into the mixture, season 2 will show a run-in with Megumi's father somewhere in this mess over the star vessel and he dies, probably because Gojo is trying to keep her away from that faction. Megumi doesn't know poo poo, so he assumes his father ran off. Maybe his friend's mother was also a sorcerer and she was also killed by whatever happens, so obviously they ran off together. Between season 2 and the present, they track down Megumi and try to buy him (I don't get this, it seems pretty literal), but Gojo gets there first and keeps him away from the clan (which he's probably trying to destroy anyway). So they spend a few more years looking for heirs and eventually go "gently caress it. Mai, you suck but you're up." Probably they're trying to (metaphorically) pretty her up to marry her off to a strong sorcerer. I guess Megumi is pissed enough he doesn't want to step in? Or he has to be bought by the clan for him to count as an heir? I'm not sure what this is all about but everyone's angry about it. Maybe we get snippets of the clan's maneuvering in flashbacks or maybe it's just implied.

Shortly after the movie, Geto's body is used as a vessel for a curse (he has the arm back). Probably the curse is in charge, because Geto seems to have dropped the sorcerer-superiority thing and is now pushing curse superiority. Is the curse supposed to be our new big bad? Was it done by someone else pulling the strings?

So whenever season 2 returns to the present, there's a few options. They could follow the Zenin clan, or Geto and the curses, or whatever Gojo is planning. Or they could drop all of it and pause for a terrible training or tournament arc, but I get the sense that this won't be putting on the brakes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To refresh you about the Zen'in Clan stuff and Megumi.

Megumi's dad left the Zen'in Clan and had Megumi, then went and remarried Tsumiki's (Megumi's Cursed Step Sister) mom. Both his Dad and Tsumiki's mom then vanished at some point after. Megumi eventually met Gojo who informed Megumi that his dad had sold him to the Zen'in Clan, but Gojo used his influence to stop the sale and used the promise that Megumi would work as a Sorcerer to get financial support for Megumi and his sister.

Mai and Maki are not heirs to the clan currently. Mai is just being forced to work as a sorcerer instead of as a servant cause Maki decided to try and become a sorcerer herself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The music that was playing during Gojo explaining his ability is sick.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How was she able to slap gojo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

limit less and infinity don't affect cuties

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How was she able to slap gojo

He probably did not have Limitless on at the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Going into this episode I wondered if it'd be as brutal as it looked in the manga

yep

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He probably did not have Limitless on at the time.

Yea, he can turn it off whenever he wants.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the tactical deployment of the ed song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is this accurate to the pacing of the manga?