Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

HookedOnChthonics posted:

:wrong: lunch time is for staring blissfully into space; someone who consistently imposed planning tasks on me during my lunch break would quickly become not my favorite person

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: I’m a daily public transit commuter in one of the better-equipped us cities for it and I absolutely need to know more in advance, not less, if I’m taking unusual routes or heading somewhere new

If nothing else, taking public transit means that unless your living situation is perfectly located you are no way in hell going to manage a quick swing through home to get changed; I need to dress appropriately for my evening plans before I leave in the morning which means….. knowing about it the day before????? :prepop:

I've lived in several cities with subway systems and they've all had websites with trip planners. It might take you a few minutes to figure out, but it's something you can squeeze into a a normal day.

Change of clothes is a very fair point I hadn't considered. Yes, not everybody is a dress shirt and khakis wearing office drone. And some folks just like changing out of their work clothes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Can we all just agree that if you're using a numerical rating system for your or other people's attractiveness then you need some serious loving help. Like electro-schock or some poo poo. Some straight up Vienna rear end shrink poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Literally A Person posted:

Can we all just agree that if you're using a numerical rating system for your or other people's attractiveness then you need some serious loving help. Like electro-schock or some poo poo. Some straight up Vienna rear end shrink poo poo.

So what you're saying is Facebook should be retroactively shut down?
:hmmyes:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Bramble posted:

Perhaps a New Journalism approach to rating people. Not a number but a long essay on how your face makes me feel.

Cracked.com listicle, imo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kurieg posted:

So what you're saying is Facebook should be retroactively shut down?
:hmmyes:

Guess it's the only way. Oh well.

:shrug:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Wait, we can rate incels? Like letting verified sex-havers and volcels give a profile the old 1 to 10?

7.5/10. Attending therapy. Has upvoted but not posted problematic material. Not banned from any mainstream subreddits. Still would never bang.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Batterypowered7 posted:

Cracked.com listicle, imo

Post the meme that reminds you the most of my face

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've lived in several cities with subway systems and they've all had websites with trip planners. It might take you a few minutes to figure out, but it's something you can squeeze into a a normal day.

Yeah lmao at the people saying they’ll need to research schedules and maps and poo poo instead of using one of the bajillion apps out there that will take “Address A to Address B, arrive by Xpm” and tell you what bus/train to take, when & where to catch it, and when you’ll need to leave to get to the stop on time, and then use GPS to let you know when your stop is coming up to get off

Like I get not all cities have that but if your city has loving subways there’s probably at least one app that’ll hold your hand the whole way

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You see in Milwaukee I'm a 7, but in Los Angeles I'm a 3

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

isn't Netflix doing a series, like they did on Dahmer, on those two? I just can't see how that can carry more than 2-3 episodes.

AITA for telling my co-worker she shouldn't have had children because of her attitude?

Sometimes the truth hurts. Dumping the burden of raising your younger kids on the older kids robs them of their own childhood and is a lovely thing to do.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

AceClown posted:

top comment on one of the top posts of all time:

That's just a secret phrenology subreddit

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
AITA for potentially getting my wife in trouble with her hospital?

quote:

My [30M] wife [28F] just started her second year of medical residency. She likes to talk about her workday and I understand it's important as a way for her to destress considering the workload that residents have.

However, she tends to overshare medical details about her patients. For those who don't know, medical information is protected by a law called HIPAA, and it is pretty strict about how patient information needs to be protected and anonymized if sharing is needed. I've reminded my wife several times that she is telling me patient details that are in violation of HIPAA. She keeps brushing it off, first by telling me that HIPAA doesn't apply between spouses (it absolutely does), and then by telling me that she trusts me and needs me to just listen to her (that's not the point). I've repeatedly tried to explain to her why she needs to stop, but she hasn't.

A few days ago she told me about a patient she saw and even without names I figured out that it was the son of someone I knew and they probably wouldn't want me to know that information. I again told my wife to stop and again she brushed me off. A couple days later I was at a gathering where one of my wife's friends who is also her fellow resident was present. I pulled her aside and explained what was going on and asked her to talk with my wife about the seriousness of what she was doing. She said she would.

Apparently she didn't talk with my wife but reported her to the hospital's ethics board and now they want to meet with my wife. She is furious with me for reporting her and says she can't trust me anymore. I've told her I'm sorry this is happening but I didn't ask her to be reported, I just wanted someone to explain to her what she was doing was wrong because she wasn't listening when I did. She thinks I am a huge AH; I think this is only an issue because she was, essentially, repeatedly breaking the law. AITA?

AITA for going to a nude beach without telling my girlfriend?

quote:

Yesterday I (20M) and two of my friends (23 & 24 M) decided to go to Wreck beach for the day. My girlfriend (21F) had been away for the weekend and so I didn’t tell her I was going, since I wasn’t keeping her updated on everything I was doing. The decision to go was mostly spur of the moment.

We arrived, undressed on the beach, put everything away and spent the day rafting and swimming. Afterwards we ate some sushi and smoked some weed nearby the beach. Nothing crazy, just spending the day with the guys.

When she got back and I went over my weekend she freaked out when I mentioned the nude beach. She started accusing me of going with girls, and then told me that no one had the right to see my body but her. This was seriously weird and so I got away for the night, but it’s been a day and she’s still mad. Apparently she thinks that I “borderline cheated”.

Should I have asked her for permission first? Would you get mad in this scenario? I honestly don’t know why she’s this mad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just me and the boys heading to the nude beach for some wholesome fun.

G/f doesn't need to worry about other women.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ibntumart posted:

AITA for potentially getting my wife in trouble with her hospital?

This is a potential career ender, what an absolute loving idiot. Just listen and nod along then forget about it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can I ask for a raise since I’m not getting high at work anymore?

quote:

I am a customer service manager. Recently, I quit getting high at work. My marijuana use here was no secret, and sometimes even encouraged by ownership. I recently took a long break from cannabis, and discovered that I am much, much better at my job without it. Who figures.

I have a review coming up, and I’m wondering if there’s any possible way to leverage “I’m not taking bong hits, and my performance has improved vastly” into more money without making it sound like my previously stoned work was not worth my salary. Is there any artful way of handling this?

Well, you can ask...

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ibntumart posted:

You can do anything so long as you say you're going to first. And also why not invite your gf and look at naked friends and strangers together like adults. Then she wouldn't be able to say anything about the sword fight you and your friends for sure had

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Extra Large Marge posted:

You see in Milwaukee I'm a 7, but in Los Angeles I'm a 3

An Air Force 9?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

This is a potential career ender, what an absolute loving idiot. Just listen and nod along then forget about it.

She deserves to have her career ended and the only thing he did wrong was letting someone else do his dirty work instead of reporting her himself

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Cerekk posted:

She deserves to have her career ended and the only thing he did wrong was letting someone else do his dirty work instead of reporting her himself

HIPAA only covers specific identifiable data, in the comments a ton of medical providers chime in and if she’s not providing names and ages then she probably isn’t actually violating it. It’s very likely he’s just using this as a bludgeon to keep her from venting about work.

ETA: HIPAA isn’t some code of silence that prevents medical providers from ever talking about work no matter what the crazies on twitter want you to think

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

HIPAA only covers specific identifiable data, in the comments a ton of medical providers chime in and if she’s not providing names and ages then she probably isn’t actually violating it. It’s very likely he’s just using this as a bludgeon to keep her from venting about work.

ETA: HIPAA isn’t some code of silence that prevents medical providers from ever talking about work no matter what the crazies on twitter want you to think

Ok if she's not then disregard. But if she is, gently caress her.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I mean, if he could figure out who she was talking about what she's saying, she needs to cut that down at the least.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah the fact that someone figures out who a case study was about doesn't automatically make it a HIPAA violation. Ethically questionable to discuss cases in a small town scenario where people could figure it out, but it's not automatically illegal.

I've had doctors take out a cell phone and take a picture of an ultrasound right in front of me and wondered what the gently caress, but they showed me the screen had no patient ID information visible on it so whatever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AITA for not providing condiments for my guests?

quote:

I(26f) do not like "messy" foods and by that I mean a lot of extra sauces, dressings, and the like on my food because for me it overpowers the taste of the actual food and leaves a lot of wasted 'extras'. When I cook I use very small amounts and generally don't buy something until I need it for a recipe. If I can get away with nabbing extra packets at restaurants I prefer doing that. The only condiment I ever really have on hand besides salt and pepper is mayo since I use it for sandwiches and mixing some different salads.

That is pretty much what led to my issue. I'm finally renting a house all on my own. I was excited that I could have my family and a couple of friends over all at the same time without having roommates to worry about so invited everyone over for dinner. I grilled up some chicken and fish, did some shrimp, veggies, and some baked potatoes. Once we started eating they were asking for things like tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, hot sauce, sour cream, ranch- just all these things that they should know I don't readily keep on hand. I told them I had made a dipping sauce for the shrimp so they could just use that for anything else because it's pretty good. My brother said he had tried it but didn't like it and things like cocktail sauce and tartar sauce are pretty basic staples to have around if you eat any kind of seafood and I told him he should've brought some instead of expecting me to waste money on something that'll just sit in my fridge.

Last night our mother called me and told me I need to think about my guests if I'm going to invite people over. I told her I had already cooked for everyone, and expecting anything more was a bit much. The gist of the rest of our conversation was her basically telling me a good host that invites people over picks up drinks or a couple of condiments that they know their guests like or are likely to use. And that if it was a cost or waste issue, I should’ve asked them to bring some when I invited them.

I said I just won't host anything else at my house and hung up. But now I've had time to think about it and it wouldn't have been a lot cost wise but I still don't think I have any obligation to provide that kind of stuff for people that I've already gone out of my way to cook for. AITA here Reddit?

Edit: Seasonings that you cook with and condiments you add to food are NOT the same thing. All the food was seasoned with things like lemon juice, garlic salt, dill, Creole seasonings, things like that. I made a Cajun buttermilk dipping sauce for the fish and shrimp, and there were things they could've put on their baked potatoes (butter, chives chopped bacon) just not any sour cream or ranch.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I used to annoy my wife when she would tell me stories about patients, when I would ask questions like "oh yeah, and you said their name is Steve?" or try to guess other details.

She's not an idiot, so she would tell me to gently caress off with that HIPAA-violating bullshit.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah lmao at the people saying they’ll need to research schedules and maps and poo poo instead of using one of the bajillion apps out there that will take “Address A to Address B, arrive by Xpm” and tell you what bus/train to take, when & where to catch it, and when you’ll need to leave to get to the stop on time, and then use GPS to let you know when your stop is coming up to get off

Like I get not all cities have that but if your city has loving subways there’s probably at least one app that’ll hold your hand the whole way

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Change of clothes is a very fair point I hadn't considered. Yes, not everybody is a dress shirt and khakis wearing office drone. And some folks just like changing out of their work clothes anyway.

It’s not about how long the planning takes, jfc. It’s about how far back the earliest change in your daily pattern or preparation has to be, which, yes, if I want to go somewhere nice or special after work is absolutely gonna be the evening before as I get an outfit ready &etc; that poo poo is not happening in the morning, because transit commute also == balls early departure time

Other considerations:
*if this plan is going to run late, how am I getting home? Am I sure that that “Address A to Address B, arrive by Xpm” from the app hasn’t selected one of the commuter busses that runs only during rush hour, let alone the very many routes that reduce service or end by 11 pm?
*Is anything on reroute? This information usually needs to be disentangled from the service alerts in my experience; my daily commute line for instance is in the midst of a months-long roadwork reroute and that poo poo is not/will never be on the app; i on the reg help tip off people who are standing there staring in puzzlement at their phones. In my city this info is most reliably acquired from getting service alerts for your routes emailed to you, which, spoiler, doesn’t help on routes you don’t normally take
*and not strictly necessary I suppose but I usually am also going to be scoping out the area for ways to kill time since with transit arriving exactly in the moment is much less controllable and erring on the early side is usually a safe bet

And sure any/all of these can be absorbed into a general comfort with being + or - 45 mins of a desired arrival time, not caring about your presentation, and not caring about how long it takes to get home after a night out but…. I care about all those things

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

:laffo: what the gently caress.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

one of my wife's friends who is also her fellow resident was present.

“Friend”

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Regardless of legal stuff, I think it's a pretty big issue if she's repeatedly ignoring how her husband is uncomfortable hearing all this detailed info about her patients. I think if I was to the point of asking friends to talk to my spouse about their boundary stomping the relationship would probably be over already.

Also if someone cooks a meal for you with homemade sauces and seasonings and you demand store bought ranch dressing you suck.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

I mean if you don't want to host, there's probably easier ways to come out and say it directly, but then we wouldn't have so many of these awesome stories.

And real quick about the numbering and the idea that someone could be a model because they're a nine or a 10, my first question always is, a model for what? Because not every model is Victoria's secret style.

Also kudos to the dude who went to the nude beach without telling his girlfriend because I'm pretty sure he knew she would say no, and lying by omission is better than being told no because then you're a jerk if you do it anyway. But similar to the idea of someone being a model, unless it's a nude beach in a porn, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people there you don't necessarily want to see without clothes on.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nerd plus rage posted:

Regardless of legal stuff, I think it's a pretty big issue if she's repeatedly ignoring how her husband is uncomfortable hearing all this detailed info about her patients. I think if I was to the point of asking friends to talk to my spouse about their boundary stomping the relationship would probably be over already.

Also if someone cooks a meal for you with homemade sauces and seasonings and you demand store bought ranch dressing you suck.

One homemade sauce (Cajun buttermilk, and in my experience, stuff with buttermilk as a main flavor in a sauce can be divisive) and they thought people would replace sour cream on baked potatoes with it.

I mean sure, I'd eat the meal, but their pathological desire never to own a condiment is weird. Sour cream is even used in some recipes, but they have banished it to the Condiment Zone where they'll only steal packets of it from restaurants like a gremlin.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah the fact that someone figures out who a case study was about doesn't automatically make it a HIPAA violation. Ethically questionable to discuss cases in a small town scenario where people could figure it out, but it's not automatically illegal.

I've had doctors take out a cell phone and take a picture of an ultrasound right in front of me and wondered what the gently caress, but they showed me the screen had no patient ID information visible on it so whatever.
Yeah it does. HIPAA's privacy rule even covers any information 'for which there is a reasonable basis to believe it can be used to identify the individual'

People don't tend to enforce it that closely, but HIPAA is both broad and strict.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ibntumart posted:

the responses to this one in the thread are very :goonsay:

as someone who lives in the city where this beach is located, it is a totally common and normal thing to go with your buddies or whoever. hell, this may have inspired me to go this afternoon with some dudes!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean sure, I'd eat the meal, but their pathological desire never to own a condiment is weird. Sour cream is even used in some recipes, but they have banished it to the Condiment Zone where they'll only steal packets of it from restaurants like a gremlin.
They hate condiments they don't use because they leave a sticky ring on the shelf. Basically, weird control issues and if they want to entertain, they should be willing to accommodate other people's tastes to some degree. "I have to have ranch dressing", no; "she has to eat butter and chives on her potato because I don't like sour cream", also no.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not helping a customer 20 minutes after closing?

quote:

I'm a small business owner with a storefront, and I also sell at a local farmer's market once a week. The market has set hours, and vendors are expected to set up on time and take down when the market is over.

Yesterday, after I packed up my van and was about to drive out of the market 20 minutes after closing time, a customer called out to me, and I heard them because I had the windows down. They wanted to buy something and thought the market closed an hour later. I told them the market has always closed at the same time, that my product and cash box were already packed away, and that I had a pressing matter to attend to that wouldn't allow me to stop, unpack, and assist them. I repeated that explanation when they offered to follow me to my store and make a purchase while I was unloading.

I thought that was the end of the conversation but continued to worry I had disappointed someone and that this could end up on our local ranting Facebook pages. About an hour later, the customer messaged my business. I'll paraphrase as fairly as I can here. They said they were disappointed and suggested I adopt a more "can do" attitude. They said I could have given them the product and let them pay me later. (I didn't recognize this customer; I serve thousands of people.) They said I didn't use my critical thinking skills and that I should have tried harder. They also shared how much money they spent at the market with other vendors.

After I had finished with my pressing personal business, I responded. I thanked them for messaging me and expressed by regret in disappointing them. I said that money would not have convinced me to stop because I really had something that required me to pack up and leave as quickly as possible. I thanked them for shopping with us for the last several years and expressed my hope that even if they chose to stop doing business with us, they had found our products worth buying up to that point.

The customer sent another response I read this morning, which is what prompted me to post here. They said they only shared the dollar amount to show they were genuine. They said they were upset by my lack of interest in being helpful in a genuine way. They didn't like my tone when I explained that the market has always closed at the appointed time and pointed out they were recovering from surgery. They found my response to be disingenuous and said my comment about whether or not they would continue to shop with us was "telling" because they never implied that.

I decided not to respond, but I'm also really bothered by this whole exchange and want to make sure I do right by my customers, especially those who have supported me for a long time. (Even though I didn't recognize them, I could see they've shopped with us periodically for several years.) AITA?

I was very disappointed by your attitude and your unwillingness to take into account the only person who matters, me

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not helping a customer 20 minutes after closing?

I was very disappointed by your attitude and your unwillingness to take into account the only person who matters, me

Used to work at a Winn Dixie grocery store that closed at 11 and we had these two customers come in once at 10:58. The Winn Dixie was a distant second in our region compared to Publix so corporate really pushed "the customer is always right" mentality way past the point of reasonableness, even for a US megacorp, so the closing manager didn't turn them away when they came in. Long story short, they shopped for 40 minutes and didn't leave until 3/4ths of the light in the store were shut off, but not before asking if we could re-open the meat & seafood department to cut them a specific cut of steak that was not currently on the shelf. I was actually surprised the closing manager told them no.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Remembering a r/Tinder screenshot where a gal and fella had this exchange:

Her: I'm free on Thursday! Let's go to X bar.
Him: We could, but just know I don't drink.
Her: Oh I don't mean get wasted. Just one.
Him: No I don't drink at all.
Her: Well then this won't work. I've been with too many alcoholics and can't risk another one even in recovery.
Him: I'm not a recovering alcoholic I just don't drink.
Her: Well I only have your word for that...

And fair enough but it's really, really counter-intuitive to *insist* someone drink to prove they're not an alcoholic. The just-one-and-stop test isn't well validated. And she risks a very uncomfortable scenario if she invites a date to the bar for a drink and they get sloshed sure she knows her date is an alcoholic but she also now has a drunk alcoholic on her hands.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 10, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

ibntumart posted:

In Europe this is very normal.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

dervival posted:

yeah, that's not how a 1-10 rating scale works anywhere else in the world

goddamn incels

The only objective rating scale is how many hundreds of ships your face can launch, on a scale of 1-10.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Remembering a r/Tinder screenshot where a gal and fella had this exchange:

Her: I'm free on Thursday! Let's go to X bar.
Him: We could, but just know I don't drink.
Her: Oh I don't mean get wasted. Just one.
Him: No I don't drink at all.
Her: Well then this won't work. I've been with too many alcoholics and can't risk another one even in recovery.
Him: I'm not a recovering alcoholic I just don't drink.
Her: Well I only have your word for that...

And fair enough but it's really, really counter-intuitive to *insist* someone drink to prove they're not an alcoholic. The just-one-and-stop test isn't well validated. And she risks a very uncomfortable scenario if she invites a date to the bar for a drink and they get sloshed sure she knows her date is an alcoholic but she also now has a drunk alcoholic on her hands.

Should’ve just gone and ordered a delicious glass of milk, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nebrilos posted:

In Europe this is very normal.

In Europe nude beaches are mostly filled with old, fat, hairy people flopped out on the rocks like beached whales.

The regular beaches are pretty much the same, but they have speedos on.