Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I think also a big difference between the two threads is that Genshin is almost three years old at this point while HSR is almost three months old; HSR is still fresh, people are still coming in new, and in the meantime over here we're all waiting on Fontaine to get us excited to play again. People just aren't going to be as protective of it now.

Yeah, Dori really adds nothing to the story and I'm not a fan, but she's hardly the only character in Genshin guilty of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whatever is going on in Fontaine seems pretty bad, based on asking the Spino blaster guy about his backstory :(

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, Dori really adds nothing to the story and I'm not a fan, but she's hardly the only character in Genshin guilty of that

not gonna lie, i don't really care if new characters are lore relevant or important. that describes a lot of the cast. someone can have a bit part or be someone in the background, that's fine. long as what little time they have is interesting or they're cool/fun to play.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arlecchino is going to make so much money when she drops my body is shaking in anticipation. How many billions will it be?????

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

UHD posted:

not gonna lie, i don't really care if new characters are lore relevant or important. that describes a lot of the cast. someone can have a bit part or be someone in the background, that's fine. long as what little time they have is interesting or they're cool/fun to play.

Yeah, exactly. Some of my favorite characters in the game are entirely unimportant to the main story

Kale
May 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Arlecchino is going to make so much money when she drops my body is shaking in anticipation. How many billions will it be?????

Not sure about that, but I am somewhat curious to see if it breaks some sort of record of likes/retweets on the official announcement splash art/trailer confirming her as playable consider people have getting tweaked around for a while on her being Schrodinger's playable harbinger character. It's such a quirk of the modern internet that leakers have both confirmed her as playable and said that she would be killed off and whichever instance has come first has been bought wholesale without question. I believe we're currently back on she's a playable character to be released later in the Fontaine arc though. :lol:

I loving swear I wouldn't even be entirely surprised if Mihoyo themselves are putting out leaks of her being killed off and then reneging on it and saying she's playable to build extra hype around her. It just feels like it plays into the average deep insecurities of the modern social media lurker by noting the reaction she got from Winter Night's Lazzo, then having a "leaker" saying you can't have this thing....followed a week or two later by having another leaker saying NOWAITACTUALLYYOUCANPSYCHE! This of course requires one to believe the conspiracy theory that all these leaks are being done on purpose to build hype via stealth marketing and keep players somewhat engaged during slower periods of the games update cycle, which I'm kind of willing to entertain. I mean it's been known for a while that Asian multimedia stuff run by companies with deep pockets do that sort of stuff.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uPxMXENYR4

Unofficial fan video somebody did to celebrate the Eula banner I imagine or possibly an entry for the next Hoyofair compilation. I legit thought this was an official video at first and was looking for the official channel source, but no this is the source channel.

e: Just to clarify, it looks like this video may have been stolen by that channel and the credit actually belongs to a Bilibili user going by 超想吃番茄Toma thus proving once again that the CN fan community pretty much always full throttle chaos dunks on the Western one in terms of their contributions to the internet.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 10, 2023

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

sushibandit posted:

Layla works really well with Wanderer (since you want to imbue his skill with cryo for free crit) due to his field time requirements and her 100% shield uptime and low cost/spammable burst. Diona would also work but Layla has much better sustained application of cryo, and iirc the 2nd or 3rd (now that kirara is out) strongest shield in the game.

I don't have Wanderer. Free is a very good price and effective shields are always good, naturally, though I'll want to work out a team that uses Cryo effectively and I haven't yet. I have Eula, Chong, and Diona as other Cryos.

Having reached 270 and gotten the event super-compass, I can say that it's amazing. It's also making me wonder what I need it for, as it's literally the last reward you get for what it hunts down.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

delfin posted:

I don't have Wanderer. Free is a very good price and effective shields are always good, naturally, though I'll want to work out a team that uses Cryo effectively and I haven't yet. I have Eula, Chong, and Diona as other Cryos.

Having reached 270 and gotten the event super-compass, I can say that it's amazing. It's also making me wonder what I need it for, as it's literally the last reward you get for what it hunts down.

Eula and layla + 2 electro is a perfectly good team, but that doesn't fit the bill unless 'uses superconduct' is what you mean by using cryo effectively. For that I guess you'd need to park someone in chongyun's circle, and you can use layla's shield as a mobile turret, but that's only at best 8 hits.

The good compass is probably a test for something, rather than useful in and of itself. I also have no idea how the regular one works, but that's because the one time I tried it it was utterly illegible for nilou reasons. Does it mark things on the map, too?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Zenostein posted:

Eula and layla + 2 electro is a perfectly good team, but that doesn't fit the bill unless 'uses superconduct' is what you mean by using cryo effectively. For that I guess you'd need to park someone in chongyun's circle, and you can use layla's shield as a mobile turret, but that's only at best 8 hits.

The good compass is probably a test for something, rather than useful in and of itself. I also have no idea how the regular one works, but that's because the one time I tried it it was utterly illegible for nilou reasons. Does it mark things on the map, too?

The regular compass detects things that give you joyeux vouchers (the floaty balloons, chests, challenges, hydro eidolons that do interesting things) within roughly a minimap radius and marks them there at least temporarily. The usual up/down arrows apply to the icons.

I'm not sure what effective Cryo is. Like, I know that superconduct is a thing, but it sets the table for physical damage and everyone says physical is very meh barrying major changes. I've paired Cryo with Xingqiu for spamming Frozen, but just for noodling around the overworld. As far as two Electros go, I'm probably a bit gimped by not having Raiden. Fischl and Yae are my main two, Beidou right behind them.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

delfin posted:

The regular compass detects things that give you joyeux vouchers (the floaty balloons, chests, challenges, hydro eidolons that do interesting things) within roughly a minimap radius and marks them there at least temporarily. The usual up/down arrows apply to the icons.

I'm not sure what effective Cryo is. Like, I know that superconduct is a thing, but it sets the table for physical damage and everyone says physical is very meh barrying major changes. I've paired Cryo with Xingqiu for spamming Frozen, but just for noodling around the overworld. As far as two Electros go, I'm probably a bit gimped by not having Raiden. Fischl and Yae are my main two, Beidou right behind them.

Well, for Eula's purposes beidou's burst works (so does her skill, but off-field is king), because superconduct lasts for like 20s after you've combined cryo and electro. Raiden's just more convenient and constantly does damage as well, like fischl; and portability is good in case whatever group you're fighting wasn't close enough to also get superconducted, or was a single enemy that just died too quickly, and now you need to superconduct another one.

Personally I'd probably call superconduct as 'effective cryo' even though it really hangs on physical, just because frozen doesn't inherently damage things, it just buys you time to set up something (good), or lets you poke at something that's not moving (tragic).

As far as "doing cryo damage to get somewhere," you mostly only need that specifically for lecters and other shielded dudes. From what you've got, I guess that would be a quick attacker in a chongyun circle, or running around and shooting stuff with diona. I don't think there's anyone who's going to do a lot of light blue numbers on their own besides ayaka, since there's no cryo mage.

There's always melt, I guess. Haven't messed around with that much besides it incidentally happening, for hu tao reasons (and yanfei just being set up to do pryo damage regardless of what's going on or who's with her).

As for the compass: I guess that explains why I had some weird treasure chest icons on my map when I wandered into some random cave on a rail line. Guess I should mill about the suspiciously empty areas of the map with the compass to see if I can find more caves; paimon kept rambling on as if this wasn't the first cave I'd found……

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ah so they did the thing like in 2.8 where they added some surprise new world quests to the final patch of the arc involving a guy from Fontaine film maker making Teyvat's rendition of The Seven Samurai. Just noticed the sudden sequel to Khedive the scholars quest line in The Chasm where he gives you a letter of recommendation in 2.6 well over a year ago. Also there seems to be one involvling Fontaine crumbs in Sumeru settled called Recollections of a Fontainian.

I figure once we get to Fontaine there's going to be tons of call backs like bumping into Charlotte, actually seeing the Steambird offices, and seeing the movie we made etc. It's not much, but definitely feeling more engaged with 3.8 than 3.7.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MoonCrab posted:

Think the star rail thread is just kinda more aggro than here in general because people care about the plot more. Like even tho sumeru part 1+2 were pretty good I still don't really have any expectations for fontaine. It'd be pretty neat if the story ends up being good, I guess, but I don't reallly care?

I mean, I'm mostly excited for story parts rather than the story on the whole? The Fatui honestly kinda bore me at this point, they really to start picking up that throughline because throughout Inazuma and Sumeru they just kinda felt like Much More Mean Team Rocket than an actual menacing threat.

I'm more looking forward to the inevitable trial (because everyone and their mother is expecting it at this point). I'm expecting/excited to see that get derailed for Celestia poo poo maybe??? Seems like the time for Celestia to start becoming an active force in the main plot, I think. And yeah, I want Hydro Archon to steal the show in every scene she's in because after three "Calm, Composed Archons" in a row, i want another chaos gremlin god like venti, dammit.

really hope she's in 4.2 because 4.1 would kind of ruin all my carefully laid pull plans

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Genshin has no real tonal consistency, so I kinda like that I have no idea what to expect.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Done HydroDisney chest-hunting. They're good for primogems, at least, though some of the unlock-the-water-ball methods are twisted. 314/315 collected, and the last is that mushroom battle time trial that I'd need, like, twice the time limit to clear. All that's left is to wait two days for the last attractions to unlock and get my Layla points from those.

Anyone have a team comp that speed-kills Dance of Flashing Thought? I've come close once on phase 1 of it, a 2:35 run where everything went right for me. I've only cracked 3 minutes on that once since.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I prefer Honkai's darker tone generally, or at least that it just loves emotionally gutpunching you, and Genshin has had small moments of that. The ending of Sumeru's archon quest was one such, Jeht was another. I've said it before here, but I just really hope that Fontaine is about really kicking the plot into a higher gear now, rather than just a regional story.

delfin posted:

Done HydroDisney chest-hunting. They're good for primogems, at least, though some of the unlock-the-water-ball methods are twisted. 314/315 collected, and the last is that mushroom battle time trial that I'd need, like, twice the time limit to clear. All that's left is to wait two days for the last attractions to unlock and get my Layla points from those.

Anyone have a team comp that speed-kills Dance of Flashing Thought? I've come close once on phase 1 of it, a 2:35 run where everything went right for me. I've only cracked 3 minutes on that once since.

The answer in all things, is Nilou. Who cares what the gimmick is, bloom bloom bakudan. If you don't have Nilou, I've found Venti and Kazuha a patented combo to just mulch through these events that just spawn a bunch of crappy guys at you.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 10, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Early Genshin intrigue like THE SKY IS COMPLETELY FAKE really interested me but then they've not really followed up on any of the cool thread of plots

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

Early Genshin intrigue like THE SKY IS COMPLETELY FAKE really interested me but then they've not really followed up on any of the cool thread of plots

I mean, that got mentioned again at the end of Sumeru Archon Quest and this entire event is literally about a projected fantasy world so its not like they forgot about it or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

all that stuff is build up for the end-endgame probably

theyve touched on it a few more times but none of the bigger picture stuff is going to get resolved until we've gone through all the nations

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I just did spread/aggravate and didn't have any problems with the dance arena.

(nahida/miko/shinobu/baizhu)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

I prefer Honkai's darker tone generally, or at least that it just loves emotionally gutpunching you, and Genshin has had small moments of that. The ending of Sumeru's archon quest was one such, Jeht was another. I've said it before here, but I just really hope that Fontaine is about really kicking the plot into a higher gear now, rather than just a regional story.

The answer in all things, is Nilou. Who cares what the gimmick is, bloom bloom bakudan. If you don't have Nilou, I've found Venti and Kazuha a patented combo to just mulch through these events that just spawn a bunch of crappy guys at you.

It's crazy that some random plucky dancer girl in a harem outfit is apparently that strong in the right team comp to get those super blooms or whatever. I got her on the rerun a few banners ago but still building her up over time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

It's crazy that some random plucky dancer girl in a harem outfit is apparently that strong in the right team comp to get those super blooms or whatever. I got her on the rerun a few banners ago but still building her up over time.

Nilou has never had a single thought. They slide right off. They would get in the way of the explosions. Like after playing her, a lot of other comps are just disappointing because like I have to put effort into like caring about doing things in the right order, or ugh, chasing down enemies to hit them with melee attacks. With Nilou I just have Nahida use her camera and just spam autos with Kokomi and everything dies. And my gear/comp is entirely unoptimized. Like could I give Kokomi an em set, or even just a flop set? Yeah sure. But with the only change being Sac Frags she can get to 1k em thanks to Nilou's sword and Nahida's dome. It's so comfy.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

I mean, I'm mostly excited for story parts rather than the story on the whole? The Fatui honestly kinda bore me at this point, they really to start picking up that throughline because throughout Inazuma and Sumeru they just kinda felt like Much More Mean Team Rocket than an actual menacing threat.

I'm more looking forward to the inevitable trial (because everyone and their mother is expecting it at this point). I'm expecting/excited to see that get derailed for Celestia poo poo maybe??? Seems like the time for Celestia to start becoming an active force in the main plot, I think. And yeah, I want Hydro Archon to steal the show in every scene she's in because after three "Calm, Composed Archons" in a row, i want another chaos gremlin god like venti, dammit.

really hope she's in 4.2 because 4.1 would kind of ruin all my carefully laid pull plans

The Doctor definitely feels like a real menacing threat of all the ones we've met so far. He's clearly devilishly intelligent on an almost god like superhuman Reed Richards level and was running circles around our heroes (TM) until the situation with Scaramouche having it out for him and Nahida working things behind the scene to get him to go away and leave us alone and to get him to willingly nerf himself saved the day. Of the ones we've fought so far it's also supposed to be among the weaker ones. Tartaglia is the weakest or second weakest one, Signora was number 8, Scaramouche was a little more up there as number 6, Dottore is second only to their leader Pierro and it's kind of shown throughout the manga and the Sumeru arc. Arlecchino is a mystery and could be either rank 4 or rank 10 depending on current information. What is known though is that Pierro, Dottore and Columbina are in that top 3 ranking that are supposed to be on par with Archons and are likely being held back for the Snezhnaya arc 2 years from now where we'll find out if the Tsaritsa is a Bronya, a Cocolia or someone actually new and different.

I guess like trying to put it in perspective for myself, we saw how well the traveler faired against an actual fully powered up and serious Archon in Raiden Shogun when they had their duels where he/she was just hopelessly outmatched without the power up of 100 visions and 3 of the Harbingers are supposed to be at that level. Come to think of it I feel like Raiden is the only one where we've really got a demonstration of what an Archon fighting is supposed to be like both in game and in the past. The entire resistance army and all the Inazuma characters banding together against her was a losing battle, Kazuha having a sudden power spike on a one-handed strike from her is just a parry after which she sends him flying 20 feet back with the exact same move, the traveler is having a nervous breakdown at the idea of having to face her again after leaving Tenshukaku and seeing her swat Signora like a fly, which is about the only instance in the entire game I can recall them openly expressing doubt about what they can do next. Kind of makes you wonder what kind of Macguffins will be necessary to beat those top 3 down the line.

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 10, 2023

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz96m1kMJLs

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

good video of a good girl

edit: o poo poo another good video down below.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjconwmjQLM

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i usually regret clicking on videos like this.

i did not regret clicking on this one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I stumbled upon some youtube videos and learned that on PS5, exclusively, Paimon does stuff in the pause menu. Apparently there's an idle animation where her tiara falls off and she panics and catches it, and more weirdly, if you blow into the microphone (either a plugged in headset or the one on the Dualsense) she acts like there's a gust of wind.

I can't test these right now but it's pretty neat and slightly weird that they seem to be exclusive to PS5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a few graphical enhancements exclusive to ps5, too, like more detailed cloud formations. probably the same deal with sony that got aloy in the game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I know PS5 got volumetric clouds and that PS4 or mobile definitely didn't but I thought PC had them though. Even so, the Paimon easter egg stuff is something they could easily do for other platforms, including PS4 which they apparently didn't.

E: Huaguang Stone Forest looks gorgeous with those clouds too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Guess I should get around to installing on PS5 then.

How do I make sure I don't gently caress up connecting to my PSN account, again?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Guess I should get around to installing on PS5 then.

How do I make sure I don't gently caress up connecting to my PSN account, again?

I'm pretty sure there's a step in there to link your Hoyo account with PSN as you're setting things up.

If you're coming from (a decent) PC you won't get much out of the PS5 besides some nice haptics but if you're coming from mobile or PS4 (which I'm guessing you're not since you would've done account linking already) then it's definitely an upgrade. The PS5 SSD makes loading times pretty much non-existent plus a smooth 60fps is very nice. And the aforementioned little easter eggs I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

I know PS5 got volumetric clouds and that PS4 or mobile definitely didn't but I thought PC had them though. Even so, the Paimon easter egg stuff is something they could easily do for other platforms, including PS4 which they apparently didn't.

E: Huaguang Stone Forest looks gorgeous with those clouds too.
PC doesn't I'm pretty sure, or at least I can't find an option for it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Stare-Out posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a step in there to link your Hoyo account with PSN as you're setting things up.

If you're coming from (a decent) PC you won't get much out of the PS5 besides some nice haptics but if you're coming from mobile or PS4 (which I'm guessing you're not since you would've done account linking already) then it's definitely an upgrade. The PS5 SSD makes loading times pretty much non-existent plus a smooth 60fps is very nice. And the aforementioned little easter eggs I guess.

I'm coming from PC, it's just so I can play upstairs if I really want to, I guess.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Meowywitch posted:

imo it's good that this never got followed up on since it was in a limited time event that there is no way of experiencing in-game if you missed it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it didnt get followed up on because genshin got extended from an X years project to an X*2 years project after it got so successful. Upside down teyvat theory is still going strong.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

PC doesn't I'm pretty sure, or at least I can't find an option for it.

I just checked and this is what the clouds look like on PS5

https://streamable.com/c2njoq

And I can also confirm that blowing into the mic on the Dualsense does indeed cause Paimon to act like there's suddenly a strong wind blowing.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm coming from PC, it's just so I can play upstairs if I really want to, I guess.

Well, I guess you'll get nicer clouds and quick loading so there's that. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

imo it's good that this never got followed up on since it was in a limited time event that there is no way of experiencing in-game if you missed it

Nah the "sky is fake" thing crops up again in Sumeru -- I think Nahida asks you if you've ever heard the phrase before, probably in reference to that.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah the "sky is fake" thing crops up again in Sumeru -- I think Nahida asks you if you've ever heard the phrase before, probably in reference to that.

iirc, Dottore mentions it to her when he starts telling her the information he sold her for the Dendro gnosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1678314162705821697