Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

They should have Will Arnett star in the next Insidious instead and see if anyone notices

Play it 100% as GOB

“Lipstick demon? COME ON!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DLC Inc posted:

I do kind of wish Peter Weir was directing this, after Master+Commander I figured he'd be a great pick for a Napoleon movie. Not sure if any of this is based on the unfinished Kubrick ideas.

Spielberg's miniseries is the one based on the Kubrick project.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The new Ridley Scott Napoleon biopic looks bad rear end

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Blue Raider posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm going to be the first to steal it

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

Honestly, don't care for it. It's very trailer in everything it does and it confirms that it's going the direction that I hoped a modern Napoleon biopic wouldn't go which is basically trying to be like an epic that goes all over the place and covers alot of time, maybe even his whole career, rather than instead focusing on a more narrow, character-defining event.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Randarkman posted:

Honestly, don't care for it. It's very trailer in everything it does and it confirms that it's going the direction that I hoped a modern Napoleon biopic wouldn't go which is basically trying to be like an epic that goes all over the place and covers alot of time, maybe even his whole career, rather than instead focusing on a more narrow, character-defining event.

A Napoleon ECU where each movie focuses on one major event from his life!

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Blue Raider posted:

I hope it's short.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

A Napoleon ECU where each movie focuses on one major event from his life!

We already have the movie about the time he went to a water park, they just gotta keep going

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nap-poleon

Because it's going to be boring

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Why'd they choose a Radiohead song for the trailer?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Why'd they choose a Radiohead song for the trailer?

They coulda chose let down

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

you're dumb as gently caress

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

you're dumb as gently caress

Cool

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'll watch Napoleon, it looks pretty good. Considering the perfect movie about Waterloo has already been made I'm very happy to explore some of the other stuff that little guy got up to

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You want the cinematic universe you watch Sergei Bondarchuk's films and skip to the battle scenes in War and Peace and then watch Rod Steiger kill it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

DLC Inc posted:

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1678373728332177408?s=20

2023, the year Joaquin Phoenix gets to play two basket cases

Joaquin Phoenix chain smoking until his face looks like that is incredible method acting

Napolean had a chain smoking problem... right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

I'll watch Napoleon, it looks pretty good. Considering the perfect movie about Waterloo has already been made I'm very happy to explore some of the other stuff that little guy got up to

Waterloo is so good.

Or at least the battles are

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm going through Justified for the first time (by accident just in time for a special new season this month?) and I love scene with the Ice Pick killer in season 3 where Raylan moves the table cloth and shoots that dumbass. I like how it subverts the idea of a recurring villain... like that guy was seriously creepy but his gimmick would wear thin in the real world

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Waterloo is so good.

Or at least the battles are

Good thing that's most of the movie. The weakest part is the Duchess of Richmond's Ball nonsense. All the stuff with Boney marching on Paris and immediately sending out a bunch of "get hosed, scrubs" missives to the rest of Europe is great.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I remember thinking the trailer for exodus: gods and kings looked amazing too

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

First of May posted:

I hope it's short.

Ridley Scott is allowed to make long movies as long as they’re set 100+ years ago

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

hell yeah

thats a big hat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm going through Justified for the first time (by accident just in time for a special new season this month?) and I love scene with the Ice Pick killer in season 3 where Raylan moves the table cloth and shoots that dumbass. I like how it subverts the idea of a recurring villain... like that guy was seriously creepy but his gimmick would wear thin in the real world

That scene was so good. There was so much good poo poo on Justified, just clever writing all over the place. I really hope the new series meets that high bar :ohdear:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Blue Raider posted:

Ridley Scott is allowed to make long movies as long as they’re set 100+ years ago

Kingdom of Heaven is weird in that it's not very good but the fact that it's way too long is one of the good parts about it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Should watch Justified, Olyphant ftw

StashAugustine posted:

Kingdom of Heaven is weird in that it's not very good but the fact that it's way too long is one of the good parts about it

The director's cut is good. Topic locked.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do like how Kingdom of Heaven had Ed Norton in it, at the time he was pretty huge, and you don't see his face at all.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Baldwin IV ftw

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Godfrey de Ibelin gang

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Blue Raider posted:

I think you missed the joke

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Runtime for Ridley Scott's Napoleon is confirmed at 190 minutes.

Also, the only movies that are too long are those that don't use their time efficiently. That can happen as easily in a 80 minute movie as in a 200 minute one. Shorter doesn't always equal better, and can often equal worse. Don't let film critics who have to watch movies for their job (and thus wish everything was shorter so they wouldn't have to work as long) try and convince you otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Even when his movies are bad (often) ridley scott's movies always look awesome

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

That scene was so good. There was so much good poo poo on Justified, just clever writing all over the place. I really hope the new series meets that high bar :ohdear:

The Michael Rapaport season was kind of a mess, but even that had good stuff in it, like the payoff to the 21 foot rule. And the last season was an all timer.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

LanceHunter posted:

Also, the only movies that are too long are those that don't use their time efficiently. That can happen as easily in a 80 minute movie as in a 200 minute one. Shorter doesn't always equal better, and can often equal worse. Don't let film critics who have to watch movies for their job (and thus wish everything was shorter so they wouldn't have to work as long) try and convince you otherwise.

Whenever I see people demanding that movies in general be shorter (I know I've done this myself in the past ITT but more than anything else I miss the idea of intermissions so I can go piss), I think back to Nostalgia Critic's lovely remake of Pink Floyd's The Wall where among his many other weird complaints about The Wall he complained that the runtime (95 minutes) was too long. His previous film before that review was To Boldly Flee, a film that clocked in at 3 hours and 29 minutes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mordja posted:

The Michael Rapaport season was kind of a mess, but even that had good stuff in it, like the payoff to the 21 foot rule. And the last season was an all timer.

That Boon dude was such a loving creep. But a genuine threat for once.

And yeah the Crowe season was definitely the weakest but it was still watchable as all hell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

shorter is better. just ask this guy:

DLC Inc posted:

hell yeah

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

shorter is better. just ask this guy:

I was going to make a faux-outraged "He was average height for his day! The idea he was short was English slander started to try and discredit him!" post, but then I realize that I've been bitching way too much in this thread recently and nobody would believe me that I was just joking and not actually upset.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even when his movies are bad (often) ridley scott's movies always look awesome

Yeah Prometheus was a huge fuckin mess but drat if it didn't look cool

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Imagine what studios would do to movies if they could get away with charging on a per/minute scale lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are just certain slop premises that really don't ever need to be more than say 2h 15m (super heroes, star wars). Of course let an actual artist do their thing, and hell ridley scott as well