Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well in perhaps related news I was reminded that cheap hinges give cheap results. The door I hung and closed so beautifully now requires a lot of adjustment because I had to swap the hinges from satin chrome to bronze to match the handle. And I used some hinges from a big rear end box of cheap hinges I got because dear God there was no way they should be so expensive and I need to bend a couple of them to get that sweet sweet reveal back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for the replies all. Summary of my next thoughts, quoting from linked article fool.com:

“Over several months of research, we were able to purchase items through Amazon Prime that were either confirmed counterfeits, lookalikes unsafe for use, or otherwise misrepresented.”

Exactly as I stated in my OP and was my original theory. Most consumers, purchasing goods sold and shipped from Amazon.com do not typically need to worry about counterfeits. The products discussed in your linked article are virtually 100% being sold by external 3rd party sellers. That is why I qualified it by saying consumers still need to be vigilant on the Amazon checkout page and determine whether they want to use a 3rd party seller.

When using products sold only by Amazon.com, I have rarely or never seen a verified counterfeit claim. I appreciate the perspectives and so far stand by everything I posted on the internet on this topic.

The linked article discusses products accessible “through Amazon Prime”, which obviously is rife with billions in counterfeit and fraud. Mostly external sellers. Exceptions to the rule where counterfeits have been sold by Amazon.com as the seller.

You're agreeing with a 2023 article that lists this as one of its main points:

quote:

Amazon is making matters worse by lumping products together, so you can't purchase solely from reputable suppliers.

So are you recanting this earlier post, which is contradicted by this article?

Inner Light posted:

The something awful goon anti-Amazon sentiment is somewhat misplaced and based on misunderstandings. You will find goons swearing up and down counterfeit third party seller SKUs are shipped right along with items sold by Amazon.com from the same warehouse bins.

This suspicion is not really true although they were worse about this in the past.

Inner Light posted:

I appreciate the perspectives and so far stand by everything I posted on the internet on this topic.

oh okay

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inner Light posted:

When using products sold only by Amazon.com, I have rarely or never seen a verified counterfeit claim.

That's kind of the point being made by the many articles that have been provided to you. To recap:

1. Counterfeits can be difficult to detect in the first place, even for Amazon. For instance most consumers aren't going to bother testing their water filters
2. When users report receiving counterfeits on the product page their posts get deleted by Amazon

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You don't all have full UL-grade labs in your homes you use to test every product you receive??

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

brugroffil posted:

You don't all have full UL-grade labs in your homes you use to test every product you receive??

I did, but I had to remove the lab to make room for the obscene fountains I commissioned from Etsy to celebrate my triumph over regulations.

I'm planning to spend my savings on water filters full of lead fishing weights. Good enough for my grandfather, good enough for me!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

cr0y posted:

Yellow jackets don't leave a stinger behind and can keep tagging you if they want. Every stinging insect that isn't a honey bee is a little flying ball of hate and they all need to be destroyed.

On the other hand, gently caress honeybees that aren't used in a farm setting. They are part of what's driving native bees to extinction. There are tons of stinging insects (including wasps) that are chill as heck. Encourage the natives in your garden. I agree on yellowjackets (and bald- faced hornets which are just bigger white yellowjackets) though, gently caress those guys.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

brugroffil posted:

The testers I received from Amazon were counterfeit, unfortunately.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Amazon is for window shopping.

Pretty much everyone has figured out shipping logistics to some degree and will offer decent and free shipping on non-trivial orders. Find your product on Amazon - buy it from the official website.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

But Amazon is always going to win in the 'Oh poo poo I need that now" scenario because they built their own fleet up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Amazon's fine for crap where you don't give a poo poo if it's fake or even good.

Looking at my recent history:
- random stainless steel split rings (the kind you see on keychains)
- some garbage-tier pet collars for some indoor cats.
- a cheap humidifier that I only needed for a week.
- tomato stakes
- a simple wooden box that I used for a joke gift
- dry erase markers (regret this one, they were crap, ended up going to Target)
- 100 count off-brand darts for a Nerf N-Strike (surprisingly good quality, good balance)
- the cheapest possible "It's been __ days since a lost time injury" sign for a dumb joke.

Basically all of it garbage that frankly I didn't really need, except maybe the tomato stakes.

My rule of thumb is nothing that is going in or on a human's body comes from Amazon, and nothing where quality matters (electronics - the classic example being memory cards that are frequently not the size you're buying).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

- 100 count off-brand darts for a Nerf N-Strike (surprisingly good quality, good balance)

please tell me you have a Nerf minigun

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Johnny Truant posted:

please tell me you have a Nerf minigun

Nah, just a pair of the pistols.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cyrano4747 posted:

Basically all of it garbage that frankly I didn't really need, except maybe the tomato stakes.

I thought that was tomato skates and now I want tomato wheels for my roller skates.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Amazon, the Spencer Gifts of online shopping

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Counterfeits aside I try to only order from Amazon when it's absolutely the only option or is like half the cost of my local option. It's hard to get away from but after seeing Bezos' $500 million yacht complete with support yacht to haul his toys I just can't anymore, it's loving gross.

I'll get of my high horse now...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, just a pair of the pistols.

so anyway I started Nerf blasting

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Any suggestions on a wheelbarrow thats not crap but isn't $150 or is that just what they cost these days? Mostly using it to move wood chips, gardening and mixing concrete.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

raggedphoto posted:

Any suggestions on a wheelbarrow thats not crap but isn't $150 or is that just what they cost these days? Mostly using it to move wood chips, gardening and mixing concrete.

I've had this one since spring 2020 and am happy with it. Mine is orange, couple of the recent reviews of the gray one seem not great but I've not had any issues. It has no rust though I do store it inside my garage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Both the garage and kitchen each only have 2 x 2-outlet wall plates

Short of buying a lovely/janky looking plug in 2 -> 6 outlet adapter, what's the most elegant way of upgrading these

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

raggedphoto posted:

Thats just what they cost now. I bought a steel wheelbarrow with steel handles and it was about $120 at home depot (same one as Sirotan). The runflat tire is sort of gimmicky but I don't really notice any negative issues with it. Whatever you decide on, if you get something assembled make sure you go over the fasteners and tighten them down. Retail assemblers get paid by units assembled so they don't give 2 shits how well they are put together.

Honestly if you never do anything super heavy duty, plastic bucket and steel handles would be nice and light weight, also non rusting. BUT if you do anything heavy duty like moving rocks or removing bricks/concrete ... you'll want steel. The dual wheel barrows are handy for certain things but they are a bit heavier/bulkier and more expensive.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 10, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I live three hours round-trip from the nearest Home Depot and Costco. (Same town.) I order a lot of stuff from Amazon because it's impossible to buy here. What I won't buy is anything that can spontaneously catch fire. Anybody got a good place to buy a conventional USB-C charger? The wall kind, not the car kind.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Thanks for the info, I guess I am spending $140 on a wheelbarrow. It's funny that I can easily spend 4 times that on woodworking stuff but can't seem to open my wallet for a stupid wheelbarrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

raggedphoto posted:

Thanks for the info, I guess I am spending $140 on a wheelbarrow. It's funny that I can easily spend 4 times that on woodworking stuff but can't seem to open my wallet for a stupid wheelbarrow.

Because there's something that makes you feel like a wheelbarrow was only $40 not that long ago.

(because that's the case)

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Glad I'm not crazy on the price of wheelbarrows. I may have to bite the bullet and pay that too, although I've been desperately s watching craigslist and Facebook for a decent used one to save a bit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I spent almost $300 on my equivalent, but it's also a fairly rugged lightweight folding cart (a Tipke Foldit) that can climb rocky trails with ease and has attachments that can do things like turn it into a small trailer.

(It saw double duty as an ice cream truck deep in the woods this past week when it wasn't being used for hauling rocks and tools and gear and poo poo)

It's definitely not what you're looking for, but I love having an excuse to talk about it because I was hesitant to spend the money, but I'm super happy how it turned out.

Only criticisms is that it doesn't have attachment points for locking down larger loads (which I plan on fixing), the front bottom lip catches on steps (which I also have some ideas for fixing) and that it's weight limit is a measly 330lbs (which my previously mentioned fixes will probably reduce even further).

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 11, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A wheelbarrow is definitely a tool I would consider buying used. As long as the tub is okay you can replace all the hardware for like $60 tops.

My neighbor threw one away and I did just that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It might depend on your area but in mine, it was similar to bench vises ... Shockingly expensive for used stuff in questionable condition. It wasn't much more to buy brand new and not have to replace fasteners, wheels or handles.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Yeah any used ones I find that are worth considering they want $100+ for them. Might check out a used tool store thats down the road from me first but I will spring for new if it's only a $40 difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

raggedphoto posted:

Yeah any used ones I find that are worth considering they want $100+ for them.

This almost makes me want to take mine apart, pressure wash it and give it a rattle can refinish job. Maybe in gold.

But nah.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I was able to find a new steel one at Home Depot for $89, but it’s their house brand Anvil. Seems decent though

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
every landscaper truck around here has a big blue wheelbarrow and i figured out it's the WELLMADE brand http://www.wlmd.com/miller.html. idk if these will be common outside of the west coast, but here i could get one at ace hardware here in san mateo, so i did. all steel, made in merced california, it's dope af

i did have an issue with the paint peeling on the tray unexpectedly, like in sheets as though it wasn't adhered well. so i emailed them some photos and the guy drove a new tray to my house (this is like a 2.5 hour drive). no issues with the new one so far. gets my endorsement!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
drat that’s a nice wheelbarrow. I can get one at the ace near my house but $210… but it is pretty awesome… why is it that I always put a cap on how much I want to spend and the best option is just enough more money that I can’t justify it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Hawaii, Amazon is kind of the only game in town when it comes to online purchases - while Amazon will still ship poo poo for free everyone else wants to charge $80 for shipping something that fits inside of a small USPS flat rate box (which the business doesn't use because they have a contract with UPS so lmao get hosed consumers)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verman posted:

Thats just what they cost now. I bought a steel wheelbarrow with steel handles and it was about $120 at home depot (same one as Sirotan). The runflat tire is sort of gimmicky but I don't really notice any negative issues with it.

My last wheelbarrow went in the trash because the plastic... Barrow... Was cracked badly, but what really drove me nuts was having to blow up the tire every time I used it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The only wheel barrel we have is my wife’s grandfathers which she has a silly attachment too and it’s all metal and will last forever but it’s small as poo poo and has one tiny little plastic wheel. Moving a heavy load with it is worse than sled pushes at the gym.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have been putting off getting a wheelbarrow cause of this same discussion lol.

It's a single wheel and a piece of metal Michael, how much could it cost? :derp:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I upgraded the old home depot true temper one my dad has with a second wheel (there was a kit with an axle and a second wheel available... 10 years ago or whatever), and it was a really good upgrade if you're filling it way up with grass clippings/leaves/whatever since it's a stable loading surface and rolls pretty easily through brush without getting stopped so much if there's sticks and whatnot. If you're buying new, one with two wheels is worth consideration if you're rolling it through a lot of ground cover that might hide sticks or need it stable with a lot of weight.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
FWIW, a wheelbarrow is a purchase once in your lifetime kind of thing. When I was a new homeowner and kinda broke I bought the cheapest one at HD and regretted it every time I used it. I've got the standard orange true temper with the solid rubber wheel now and it's going to get sold with the house when I'm old and decrepit.

It's 100% worth spending the money to get a good one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

My last wheelbarrow went in the trash because the plastic... Barrow... Was cracked badly, but what really drove me nuts was having to blow up the tire every time I used it.

Tray :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just make your own wheel barrow by buy an old barrel, cutting it in half and putting a wheel on it.

Anyway, my new toilets do not reliably flush. They slowly fill, and then slowly drain, while leaving the things I actually want to flush in the bowl. They work fine if I just dump out my water bottle in them. The internals are all working correctly as far as I can slmanage to determine - nothing seems stopped up or blocked, the tank is filling to the built level, everything is opening up like it should. As far as I can tell, they are just pieces of poo poo intentionally built not to work? I dunno, it's a mystery, still need to figure out if maybe the... Little toilet hole things are clogged, I guess, but I'm not sure how to fix those if they are.

Until then I'm just leaving a small bucket of water next to the shitter which honestly I could personally deal with forever without issue, but guests so far have seemed... displeased with this solution, or my proposal to commit to it, chop of the tank, and put some nice shelves where it used to be.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 11, 2023