Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Specialized Globe Haul ST looks laser targeted to take Rad's market share: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/haul-st/p/200057

4 piston hydraulic disks and 203mm rotors. 9 speed cassette too rather than freewheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Radpower was my first ebike but at the end of the day I wish I had done more research before buying from them. For just a bit more I could have bought a gazelle or specialized from a local shop and had.superior bike with superior equipment.

Radpower was great at being an introduction and making me want MORE out of the experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Twerk from Home posted:

The Specialized Globe Haul ST looks laser targeted to take Rad's market share: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/haul-st/p/200057

4 piston hydraulic disks and 203mm rotors. 9 speed cassette too rather than freewheel.

The price is a huge problem. Some people see the cheapest bike and can't move off of it.

Speaking of price, Cannondale is having a sale:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-fitness/treadwell-neo/treadwell-neo-2-eq

Hub motor, 8 speed, and only class 1 250W, but hydro brakes and some real support.

$1400 for that spec is way more attractive than a similarly priced Rad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

As someone with a rad bike i literally only bought it because they seemed to have actual support/service at the time, which was unfortunately right before they apparently started to implode in slow motion, and now they clearly don't so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

If you're paying $1500+ for an ebike I still think that being able to get it serviced is more important than the specs though

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 11, 2023

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm moving to San Diego and getting a commuter bike for the ~6 mile commute (each way, some hills though I think not too bad on my route) which I'll also use for grocery runs. Someone recommended the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-3-0-igh/p/206167

Does that seem reasonable (it's about the top of my budget)? Biggest potential worries are some negative reviews on the site, and it's a class 1 -- how helpful are throttles for commuter bikes?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not a Rad hater. But their new version of RadRunner list price is like $2500 compared to $1600 previous year model. It just makes no sense.

I don't wish them to implode like Boosted Board or something but I won't recommend them either.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh hey! It's not often I get to see a production ebike with a price tag that makes me feel pretty good about how much I spent on my Surly BBSHD build.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not a Rad hater. But their new version of RadRunner list price is like $2500 compared to $1600 previous year model. It just makes no sense.

I don't wish them to implode like Boosted Board or something but I won't recommend them either.

If Rad fully implodes there will be no source of 22x3.0 tires and all Radwagon owners will be left to follow the intrepid few who have already started putting motorcycle tires on.

I feel like motorcycle tires on a bicycle are a terrible idea but I can't really voice why.

https://old.reddit.com/r/RadPowerBikes/comments/tkq9zq/i_replaced_my_radwagon_4_rear_tyre/

Consensus is that they're way heavier, stiffer, make the bike slower but it's better than dealing with Rad.

Out of curiosity I called two local shops who both told me they are outright incapable of sourcing any tube or tire that size.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mystes posted:

As someone with a rad bike i literally only bought it because they seemed to have actual support/service at the time, which was unfortunately right before they apparently started to implode in slow motion, and now they clearly don't so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

If you're paying $1500+ for an ebike I still think that being able to get it serviced is more important than the specs though
Uhh... I was able to get a replacement tube at my local bike store I guess, but I forget which model I have. It has fat tires but they may be normal fat tires. If they're really making GBS threads the bed then I guess I'll use this thing until it breaks down and then pray God, I suppose

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

This feels like a really bad sign if Rad Power is fully leaving the European market. Was their stuff not as competitive there? Regulatory environment is somehow worse? Company is struggling to stay afloat in general?
They're pretty mid, and not at all what the average euro buyer is looking for. Nobody gives a poo poo about balloon tires here (or stupid proprietary tires sizes for that matter) etc

kimbo305 posted:

The price is a huge problem. Some people see the cheapest bike and can't move off of it.

The price is the least of thr haul ST's problems lol.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 11, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

They're pretty mid, and not at all what the average euro buyer is looking for. Nobody gives a poo poo about balloon tires here (or stupid proprietary tires sizes for that matter) etc

The price is the least of thr haul ST's problems lol.

What's so wrong with the Haul ST? To me it looks like Rad done right, and it's in the same price ballpark as the Radrunner 3. Somehow the Radrunner 3 is $2,300 MSRP, which is a big ask: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-3-plus-electric-utility-bike.

We're talking about maybe selling the Radwagon and getting something moderately nicer, but the market of bikes that can carry a big kid is pretty small. What's popular on the Euro market that makes Rad so uncompetitive there? I get that the right answer is a front loader, but those seem to be entirely $6k+ and in a different price bracket, and also seem to really require a garage. We don't have a garage, and carrying the Radwagon up and down a few steps is about my limit. I don't see any way that I'd be comfortably carrying a front-loader.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Haul ST is billed as a cargo bike but it has a really under sized rear rack. And its too low to sit an adult.

It's like the El Camaro of ebikes.

The Rad runner is the Aztek of ebikes. Its ugly as gently caress but its more practical. Also the actual price is lower because Rad can't possibly trick people into paying $2500 for one.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 11, 2023

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Neurostorm posted:

I'm moving to San Diego and getting a commuter bike for the ~6 mile commute (each way, some hills though I think not too bad on my route) which I'll also use for grocery runs. Someone recommended the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-3-0-igh/p/206167

Does that seem reasonable (it's about the top of my budget)? Biggest potential worries are some negative reviews on the site, and it's a class 1 -- how helpful are throttles for commuter bikes?

I have a Turbo Vado 4.0 that I use mostly for tooling around and occasionally for commuting. I've never had an interest in a throttle on my bike(s). I love it, the 3.0 sounds perfect for your use case.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Haul ST is billed as a cargo bike but it has a really under sized rear rack. And its too low to sit an adult.

I don't think it's for everyone. It's got some clear limitations given its wheelbase and wheel size.
Couldn't find a picture for the Globe Haul, but here's a Blix Dubbel with 4cm more chainstay:

Awkward as expected even for a small adult but doable with the pegs Spec sells. The Globe's saddle is tellingly very thick.

It seems to be geared to modular mounting options at the traditional points: front and rear panniers, front and rear rack, and seems actually powerful and stout enough to carry things roughly evenly balanced across those points. Perfect if you want to haul 200lbs of gravel.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nessus posted:

Uhh... I was able to get a replacement tube at my local bike store I guess, but I forget which model I have. It has fat tires but they may be normal fat tires. If they're really making GBS threads the bed then I guess I'll use this thing until it breaks down and then pray God, I suppose
I wasn't talking about the tires or tubes (I guess someone else was after my post but I have a radexpand which I think uses standard tires/tubes), but like if the electric parts stop working

It's been fine so far, but it seems like if there's a problem it's hard to get service from rad now so I'll probably have to figure it out myself and I didn't really want to have to learn how all the ebike-specific stuff works

I have no real complaints with the actual design because it's fine for the types of situations/places where I'm using the ebike

The brakes may not be the best and it was my first bike with disc brakes but I'm getting a mountain bike so I'll presumably have to actually learn how to adjust disc brakes now anyway :shrug:

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 11, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mystes posted:

The brakes may not be the best and it was my first bike with disc brakes but I'm getting a mountain bike so I'll presumably have to actually learn how to adjust disc brakes now anyway :shrug:

If your mountain bike is decent, it'll have hydro brakes, which are certainly worth learning to service, but it wouldn't have much crossover with low tier cable calipers on a Rad. Swapping the Rad's brakes for some TRP Hy/Rds or Yokozuna Ultimos would do wonders, but it'd be a gamble throwing good money after bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

If your mountain bike is decent, it'll have hydro brakes, which are certainly worth learning to service, but it wouldn't have much crossover with low tier cable calipers on a Rad. Swapping the Rad's brakes for some TRP Hy/Rds or Yokozuna Ultimos would do wonders, but it'd be a gamble throwing good money after bad.
It does have hydro brakes (I bought a pretty cheap one but I figured it was at least spending the money over whatever the literal cheapest bike possible was to have hydro brakes) so oh well

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
does anyone have any recommendations for a ladies’ full-face DOT helmet that are more cutsie and less Crotch Rocket Cool Kid? i saw a couple vespa brand DOT moped helmets, but they didn’t have any chin/mouth protection.

the super73 is sick, but it has too much sauce for just a bike helmet and gf has got a lot of smarts rattling around up there.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My RadMission is a very meh bike. Definitely not terrible, but has such shortcomings that I now know what I explicitly don't want in an e-bike. I just remind myself that I got it on clearance and that nothing even comes close to it in value.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I am totally lost in all of the options, but if I have about a 6000 dollar budget what bikes should I look at for regular city riding outside of the turbo Vado and the gazelle series?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a difference in how much the 2023 vs earlier versions of the Vado use the app? It seems like it is highlighted more on the most recent models page, and I am a bit leery of apps instead of on bike controls, but I may be totally misunderstanding

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

What's so wrong with the Haul ST? To me it looks like Rad done right, and it's in the same price ballpark as the Radrunner 3. Somehow the Radrunner 3 is $2,300 MSRP, which is a big ask: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-3-plus-electric-utility-bike.

We're talking about maybe selling the Radwagon and getting something moderately nicer, but the market of bikes that can carry a big kid is pretty small. What's popular on the Euro market that makes Rad so uncompetitive there? I get that the right answer is a front loader, but those seem to be entirely $6k+ and in a different price bracket, and also seem to really require a garage. We don't have a garage, and carrying the Radwagon up and down a few steps is about my limit. I don't see any way that I'd be comfortably carrying a front-loader.
The haul ST is what happens when you apply american school of pickup truck design to a Tern GSD/HSD.
The euro market has a bunch of affordable front loaders to begin with, and a myriad of extended/long tail designs in most price brackets. You only see those dumbass balloon tires on throttle-centric moped-like chinese gray imports, which is probably half the reason I hate them.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think it's for everyone. It's got some clear limitations given its wheelbase and wheel size.
Couldn't find a picture for the Globe Haul, but here's a Blix Dubbel with 4cm more chainstay:

Awkward as expected even for a small adult but doable with the pegs Spec sells. The Globe's saddle is tellingly very thick.
Exactly. A tern HSD sized bike can do *so* much more and prob weighs a third less.

kimbo305 posted:

Perfect if you want to haul 200lbs of gravel.
lmao that's exactly it.

TenementFunster posted:

does anyone have any recommendations for a ladies’ full-face DOT helmet that are more cutsie and less Crotch Rocket Cool Kid? i saw a couple vespa brand DOT moped helmets, but they didn’t have any chin/mouth protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Wangbadan-Motorcycle-FMVSS-218-Certification-Standard/dp/B088PK24DF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2KET3WWA0V0BZ

realtalk: if you want a DOT/ECE helmet there's really not much variation in styles, and retro/cutesy full face designs tend to have poo poo visibility because engineering and materials were poo poo and they erred on the side of caution.

i'd get something like an arai rapide neo in number blue. it's got cool paint.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2023

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

evil_bunnY posted:

The haul ST is what happens when you apply american school of pickup truck design to a Tern GSD/HSD.
The euro market has a bunch of affordable front loaders to begin with, and a myriad of extended/long tail designs in most price brackets. You only see those dumbass balloon tires on throttle-centric moped-like chinese gray imports, which is probably half the reason I hate them.

What Tern-equivalent bikes are there around the Haul price?

I think I may end up just sucking it up and getting a Tern HSD anyway, tbf. I made the mistake of test riding it right after a much more expensive Riese and Muller, but the ride was still solid and the cargo capacity is great. Being able to store it so vertically is also a pretty big plus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

R&M is exactly what you ride when trying to convince yourself to spend Tern money lmao. And TBH I think I'd still take a GSD over a multitinker.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

i'd get something like an arai rapide neo in number blue. it's got cool paint.
i was trying to see if there was an option aside from Just Get An Arai, but welp. old boomer family friend has been a lifetime motorcycle guy, and he has always swore by them.

e: goddamn that number blue livery owns

e2: the shoei glamster also looks to fit the bill, and is significantly lighter to boot. but are either of these helmets available in the US, or will i have to do some grey market import poo poo? all the reviews are in "british"

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 12, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone rec me an electric bike for a combo of commuter + funbike? Mainly riding it as a commuter about 10 miles (each way) along a paved beach path (not a road, like a concrete path bisecting sand). While I don't intend on going raw through actual sand, it might happen and there will def be sand strewn along the path (so probably those fatter smallish tires?). Looking for an ebike because I might be tired/lazy/whatever and want some throttle. Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

Something like a RadRunner though doesn't have to be exactly that.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 12, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've really been enjoying my Magnum Nomad. Through the baby carrier on the back rack and its been great to toot around town with the kid in tow and not struggle going up hills.

I do worry about hills and breaking with a 30 pound toddler on the back, but I just take it slow and easy. Assuming this lasts me a long time though I may look into upgrading the brakes depending on how difficult that is.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone rec me an electric bike for a combo of commuter + funbike? Mainly riding it as a commuter about 10 miles (each way) along a paved beach path (not a road, like a concrete path bisecting sand). While I don't intend on going raw through actual sand, it might happen and there will def be sand strewn along the path (so probably those fatter smallish tires?). Looking for an ebike because I might be tired/lazy/whatever and want some throttle. Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

Flyer M880 is fairly similar to RadRunner I think, but without the sort of sketchy safety record (in that it has no record at all instead): https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flyer-m880.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think most $1500-2009 20x4 fat tire bikes can fit your bill. Look for one with a strong rear rack.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

I would consider anything that can carry an adult passenger to be a cargo bike. In fact, an extra adult might exceed the weight limit on many cargo bikes so read the stats carefully! Max cargo weight usually includes the weight of the bike, and the front and rear racks will have their own max weight too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Veskit posted:

I am totally lost in all of the options, but if I have about a 6000 dollar budget what bikes should I look at for regular city riding outside of the turbo Vado and the gazelle series?

That could get you a very nice bike. Probably a class 3 with good torque and battery. Maybe look at Reise and Muller, Benno, Tern, and Stromer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tildes posted:

Flyer M880 is fairly similar to RadRunner I think, but without the sort of sketchy safety record (in that it has no record at all instead): https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flyer-m880.html

I should have read this more closely. I have a similar model, but not this one. The brakes suck, but I love everything else about it.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 12, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the budget

TenementFunster posted:

e2: the shoei glamster also looks to fit the bill, and is significantly lighter to boot.
Can you even get that in the US of A? shoei makes the EX-zero in a bunch of cool liveries too, if you can get that...

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not that anyone should do this, but I've gotten Japanese model bike helmets from Amazon Japan shipped to the US. So grey market is likely possible.

foutre posted:

What Tern-equivalent bikes are there around the Haul price?

Tern's compact cargo bikes are, in descending order of size and price:
GSD - can seat 2 kids
HSD
Quick Haul

The Quick Haul doesn't have a suspension fork and has a bolt-on rack (still generously sized) instead of built into the frame. HSD and QH can share rear cargo/passenger accessories.

evil_bunnY posted:

R&M is exactly what you ride when trying to convince yourself to spend Tern money lmao. And TBH I think I'd still take a GSD over a multitinker.
As I posted in this thread, I am still mystified why the R&M Load 60 was so weak with its Bosch setup compared to my QH and the Urban Arrow I test rode.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Can you even get that in the US of A? shoei makes the EX-zero in a bunch of cool liveries too, if you can get that...
loving doesn't seem like it! same for the Arai. i'd have to import them. :mad:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I actually ordered a folding bicycle helmet from UK and had it shipped to US.

Apparently it didn't have the US bike helmet certification.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I actually ordered a folding bicycle helmet from UK and had it shipped to US.

Apparently it didn't have the US bike helmet certification.
Do bike helmets sold on amazon that aren't from normal bike helmet brands have us bike helmet certification either?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Exciting Rad news, the motor just sort of... stopped responding for a moment. Cycling the power on the bicycle after a brief stop fixed it and it seemed fine. Is this sort of thing normal or a worrying portent of BICYCLE DEATH?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nessus posted:

Exciting Rad news, the motor just sort of... stopped responding for a moment. Cycling the power on the bicycle after a brief stop fixed it and it seemed fine. Is this sort of thing normal or a worrying portent of BICYCLE DEATH?
I think on my rad bike the brake lever cuts off the motor; is it possible your brake lever got stuck in a position where it wasn't fully disengaged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just basic ebikes all have pretty open standard jolet connectors, so just unplug the cable to the breaks to disable the motor inhibitor and see if that alters the behavior.