Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is Front Mission remake and can you mod in anime portraits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

John Murdoch posted:

The other common complaint across the negative reviews for Phantom Brigade is that you see everything the game has to offer across maybe the first third of the campaign...and are then tasked with playing through the other two thirds which are boring and samey by comparison.
I'd say it's more like the first couple hours even. Pretty much the only new gameplay elements you'll see are a couple new weapons; the enemies you fight stay pretty much the same or become even more uninteresting as you can easily stomp them using overpowered gear.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't play a lot of online games anymore, but I've been giving BattleBit Remastered a go. I don't think it's great; it's a callback to games like Battlefield, which I never really played back in the day.

Anyway, I was pretty proud of this master snipe

https://streamable.com/1bwbji

I don't know how to share video clips I hope I'm doing this right

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I finished Disco Elysium yesterday. I got pretty caught up in the story and played way longer than I meant to.

I'm torn between starting a new playthrough and trying some different choices and just leaving that one weird, wild playthrough stand as is. I don't think it will be as compelling now that I know what's coming.

I'll probably put it down for now and maybe one day come back to it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

I finished Disco Elysium yesterday. I got pretty caught up in the story and played way longer than I meant to.

I'm torn between starting a new playthrough and trying some different choices and just leaving that one weird, wild playthrough stand as is. I don't think it will be as compelling now that I know what's coming.

What attribute spread did you run with?
They're all great but I'm particularly partial to the high Psy playthrough.

There's a ton of variety in the game depending on your stat choices. A bunch of great side quests are locked behind them too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MajorBonnet posted:

ymmv but I enjoyed my second playthrough even more than the first, though there was a couple years of time in-between.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MajorBonnet posted:

I’d recommend coming back to it eventually. My second run felt pretty different on account of picking different skills (though my second run was also the first time playing the definitive edition), and being good at different things will let you explore avenues you might have missed the first time, while your inner monologue will be dominated by different personality traits.

Plus there’s so much stuff in the game that you’re probably gonna forget a bunch of stuff by the time you pick it up again

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm sad about the only available version of Disco Elysium being George Lucas-ed. Many of those changes are really grating too.
I might have to :files: it if I want to do yet another playthrough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm sad about the only available version of Disco Elysium being George Lucas-ed. Many of those changes are really grating too.
I might have to :files: it if I want to do yet another playthrough.

I haven’t played since they added any of that stuff. Is it really intrusive or can you just ignore it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven’t played since they added any of that stuff. Is it really intrusive or can you just ignore it?

If you don't look up what the changes are you might be lucky enough to overlook them.
It's not like...plot changes or anything, it's more that the quality of some...assets have diminished.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought it was just like a weird but optional photo mode where you could make tonally bizarre Lisa frank collages with the characters, I hope they didn’t weave anything annoying into the main gameplay too :(

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Jack Trades posted:

What attribute spread did you run with?
They're all great but I'm particularly partial to the high Psy playthrough.

There's a ton of variety in the game depending on your stat choices. A bunch of great side quests are locked behind them too.

I went with Thinker, high Int. The Encyclopedia info dumps did occasionally make my eyes glaze over, but I felt compelled to read through them all. High Psy is probably what I'll do if/when I play again, although I want to do a high Physical just to beat in Measurehead's face.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve been doing a fascist/phys run on my current play through and I really like how the game handles it; every time you say something racist or horrible, you take morale damage, so you really need to stock up on magnesium if you want to commit to it. Committing to it also requires you to be racist to/in front of Kim, which I have to say, as a human, feels pretty bad. They do not reward you for this choice, it’s great

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MajorBonnet posted:

I went with Thinker, high Int. The Encyclopedia info dumps did occasionally make my eyes glaze over, but I felt compelled to read through them all. High Psy is probably what I'll do if/when I play again, although I want to do a high Physical just to beat in Measurehead's face.

Measurehead? My race mentor? He's a man of virtü.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I play Disco Elysium again I'm turning all the voices right off. Sitting and waiting for people to finish reading what I already finished reading 15 seconds ago is extremely grating to me (and why I always turn off subtitles in games with cinematic cutscenes). Maybe I'll just put it in non-Final-Cut mode though since some of the voices do add a lot to the character, but I know I'll either end up cutting off half the dialogue partway or if I try to sit through every line read I'll burn out on the game way sooner.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 10, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Volte posted:

When I play Disco Elysium again I'm turning all the voices right off. Sitting and waiting for people to finish reading what I already finished reading 15 seconds ago is extremely grating to me (and why I always turn off subtitles in games with cinematic cutscenes).

The worst game I’ve played recently in this regard is pillars of eternity 1, where the dialogue includes stage direction, which is not narrated, so you have the bizarre experience of reading something at a different speed than the voice actor, but also the voice actor is skipping some of the words you’re reading, I had to turn it off after a while. Pillars 2 fixes this iirc, I don’t remember being annoyed by it

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Volte posted:

When I play Disco Elysium again I'm turning all the voices right off. Sitting and waiting for people to finish reading what I already finished reading 15 seconds ago is extremely grating to me (and why I always turn off subtitles in games with cinematic cutscenes). Maybe I'll just put it in non-Final-Cut mode though since some of the voices do add a lot to the character, but I know I'll either end up cutting off half the dialogue partway or if I try to sit through every line read I'll burn out on the game way sooner.

I played DE before it had full voice acting, can you not just skip the lines in the middle?

I do that all the time in games, just interrupt the line in the middle if I've finished reading it, unless there's some part of it where I want to hear the pronunciation or whatever.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Begemot posted:

I played DE before it had full voice acting, can you not just skip the lines in the middle?

I do that all the time in games, just interrupt the line in the middle if I've finished reading it, unless there's some part of it where I want to hear the pronunciation or whatever.
Yeah you can do that, but I hate doing it. Generally speaking when I'm cutting off the dialogue before it finishes, I'm in "okay let's get this game over with" mode (or it's a game where I never gave a poo poo about it in the first place). DE is a game that deserves full attention, but I just don't have the time to let all those line reads play out in a game I've already played with so much dialogue and when I've already read it on the screen. The original voice acting mode might be the way to go, or at the very least, the mode without the narrator.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 10, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Volte posted:

:hmmyes:

I always do this for games with a lot of text, even if the voice acting is really good. I hate to diminish the work that voice actors put into their roles, but I really just prefer to read at my own pace and let my imagination fill in the voice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I never skip the the voices, at least on my first playthrough, and if the game has both voices and text then I ignore the text unless I want to go back and re-read something.
There's a lot more information that you can get from a vocal performance that from just reading the text.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve been doing a fascist/phys run on my current play through and I really like how the game handles it; every time you say something racist or horrible, you take morale damage, so you really need to stock up on magnesium if you want to commit to it. Committing to it also requires you to be racist to/in front of Kim, which I have to say, as a human, feels pretty bad. They do not reward you for this choice, it’s great

As someone who has never played DE this is an insane post to read through lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was always curious about the fascist/sexist run of Disco Elysium, because some parts of it that I've seen are loving hilarious, but I would never be able to disappoint Kim. I don't have it in me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

The other common complaint across the negative reviews for Phantom Brigade is that you see everything the game has to offer across maybe the first third of the campaign...and are then tasked with playing through the other two thirds which are boring and samey by comparison.

Yeah, that's kinda why I fell off as well. The core gameplay is really good and unique, but unfortunately it hardly seems to really iterate on it beyond numbers getting bigger. Probably didn't help myself by playing it a fair bit during early access and then not having much steam left for the actual release.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So offhandedly, anyone remember that crazy-rear end blatant Rock & Roll Racing ripoff, Motor Rock, that appeared on Steam almost a decade back, before predictably getting removed from sale? This just happened about 10 minutes ago:

My rear end. Would be fascinating to know the real story behind this. Wonder if it'll drum up any news interest.

e: Oh wow, someone is being very thorough.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 10, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's super subjective, but the full VO swaps for some characters just did them dirty, at least for me. Off the top of my head (it's been a while) I remember REALLY liking the original Vicquemare VO and very much disliking the new one. Same for the Scab Leader and Klaasje, but to a much lesser extent, and there may have been more examples but again it's been a while.

I guess some of the original VAs weren't available for the full-text re-record they did?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

It's super subjective, but the full VO swaps for some characters just did them dirty, at least for me. Off the top of my head (it's been a while) I remember REALLY liking the original Vicquemare VO and very much disliking the new one. Same for the Scab Leader and Klaasje, but to a much lesser extent, and there may have been more examples but again it's been a while.

I guess some of the original VAs weren't available for the full-text re-record they did?

There was no change of VA. It's literally the same line recordings that got pitched down in Audacity because the new owners thought that the characters' voices were too high pitched to be cool.

EDIT: Err...I'm talking about the change between Final Cut and now.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jack Trades posted:

There was no change of VA. It's literally the same line recordings that got pitched down in Audacity because the new owners thought that the characters' voices were too high pitched to be cool.

????? They absolutely recast some characters, Scab Leader was Felix Beiderman in the original version part of the credits and is credited as Mack McGuire in the Final Cut portion of the credits. Vicquemare is credited as David Meyrat in the Final Cut credits, Dot Major in the original. Klaasje was Dasha Nekrasova in the original, Marine D'Aure in the Final Cut.

Literally every example I gave that bothered me was a recast, lol, and there were other recasts as well.

e.: Yes, I am talking about the original not-fully-voiced version and the fully-voiced Final Cut, that was what I was comparing in my first post.

Again, the only one that REALLY bothered me was Vicquemare, who had this lovely super-aggro put-upon French-guy accent that was just perfect in the original version, and who now is just flat and mildly sarcastic in the Final Cut. Everyone else it was more like "I wish they kept the original VA and direction, but I guess this is OK too"-territory for me.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 10, 2023

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Disco Elysium was the rare game for me that made me want to listen to every voice line without skipping ahead especially the narration. It just engrossed me so much more in the world and characters, even on my second and third playthroughs I rarely skipped dialogue. The fully voiced dialogue just took the game over the top for me and I think its my favorite game of all time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They did recast VAs for Final Cut yeah (RIP old cuno) but I meant the post Final Cut updates (collage mode etc); I’m realizing now I may have asked the wrong question lol

And yeah it really does not feel great to be a fascist, but nobody makes you do it I suppose. It’s also kind of funny because they repeatedly establish that fascism lives in the gut and communicates via burps and farts and the end of the fascist political quest line apparently is talking to other fascists to try and zero in on exactly what it is you’re fighting for, and realizing that it’s just a collection of disparate pinings for a past that never really existed

Tl;dr it’s written maturely in a way that makes you feel like an awful person/moron for doing it, it’s a good game

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about System Shock: How central is 'Bashing things heads in with the wrench' to the game? Because quite frankly that was the worst part of the demo for me; There is like no feedback on using the wrench at all and can barely tell when things are being hit.

Not at all. There's no real downside to transitioning to ranged weapons as soon as you get them.

Because your inventory is so limited, you can only carry 2-4 weapons at a time. So a couple of weapons (esp. shotgun) are best off used immediately. By late game you'll have replaced all of the early game weapons and any ammo you have left over for those guns is just wasted.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Crossposting about this game from the Survival Games thread because I played like 10 hours of this weird thing over the weekend and it kind of rules. It's like Project Zomboid mixed with Long Drive:

Endgame: Road to Salvation

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256877395/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1647044211

You drive toward a place called "Salvation", which I guess is some sort of safe city, as the end of the world commences. There's a rising "threat level" which gets worse every day but which you can bring down by destroying demonic structures or by paying money at the checkpoints. The worse the threat level gets, the more dangerous the enemies get, until it's belching out skyscraped-sized demons at you. Every so often, about a day and a night's worth of driving (the nights are much more dangerous than the day), you reach a checkpoint station where you can trade with merchants, sell any load if you have a trailer, pick up a package for the next station, and repair your vehicle, either manually or by paying money. Or sell your vehicle and trust that you'll find a new one. There's also a whole "caravan" system where you send materials to your caravan and get the ability to call in things like vehicle or weapon drops, or artillery strikes.

The UI is mobile-game horrendous and the graphics are simple, but it's got crafting and skills and I decked out a semi with armor and a turret on the truck and the trailer and I'm basically playing Apocalypse Truck Simulator now.

(but a few minutes after I took this screenshot, I lost the whole thing when a loving dragon flew out of the sky and yeeted my semi into a lake)

One man developer, I think. Game is $7.19 on Steam sale right now (down from $11.99). I think it's pretty great for that price.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That looks like Fort Zombie if it was made today.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It looks like the Serious Sam of zombie survival games except even lower-budget.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So offhandedly, anyone remember that crazy-rear end blatant Rock & Roll Racing ripoff, Motor Rock, that appeared on Steam almost a decade back, before predictably getting removed from sale? This just happened about 10 minutes ago:

My rear end. Would be fascinating to know the real story behind this. Wonder if it'll drum up any news interest.

e: Oh wow, someone is being very thorough.

Just got hit with that when I came online. What in blazes? Bloody thing was removed from sale nearly ten years ago. This is the first time I've seen anything like it. Purposely revoking the license for something people bought and owned a decade later? Absurdly :psyduck: in more ways than one. That certainly isn't going to get me to buy Diablo 4, you bunch of dirtbags.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/263260/discussions/0/3802776599350327685/

Blizzard didn't do it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Are you sure? :tinfoil:

But yeah, fine, situation will be fixed at some point, it's all good. Probably.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is Nioh 2's coop "proper" coop or souls-like summons only?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is Nioh 2's coop "proper" coop or souls-like summons only?

Nah it's proper coop, you can do the entirety of it together and it loving rocks. Nioh 2 is IMO the premier Souls-like coop experience

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Halls of Torment was cool at first but once you unlock a bunch of metaprogression stuff and can easily clear maps it sucks. VS and all the games like it have a problem with massively over-scaling the player's power level and it makes them all boring as hell :( That's what made HoT so cool early on: it was actually difficult and you had to think while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

deep dish peat moss posted:

Halls of Torment was cool at first but once you unlock a bunch of metaprogression stuff and can easily clear maps it sucks. VS and all the games like it have a problem with massively over-scaling the player's power level and it makes them all boring as hell :( That's what made HoT so cool early on: it was actually difficult and you had to think while playing.

Might want to take a look at Brotato if you haven't already. You can occasionally luck into becoming overpowered but generally it does a good job of keeping the player's power level roughly the same as the enemies all the way through a run. There's no metaprogression outside of increasing the item pool with new unlocks so you don't need to worry about power creep like in VS.