Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I teach a film class and have been tasked with starting an Audio/ Visual Club that will focus on completing school projects (the first one being a set of interviews), taking pictures around the school/ school sports, etc. My Film students would also be using it for indoor/ outdoor stuff.

Things we have: tripods, MOVO directional mics

My principal did not really give me a budget, but asking around it seems that teachers in similar positions like Canons. I found a website that suggested that either the Canon EOS R10 or M6 MKII would be suitable (~ $1200 and $1400 CAD on Amazon.ca), which my principal said was fine.

I guess what I’m wondering is if the R10 is good value/ what is s good additional lense I can squeeze in to get the most bang for my buck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I haven't used the R10 specifically, but I think it would probably meet your needs. I have a yearbook class that uses a variety of Canon cameras, and I'm thinking about picking up an R10 for my kids next year as something more modern that would be suitable for sports photography. The M6 MKII uses different lenses than the other Canon mirrorless cameras, and it looks like they're more expensive. I'd avoid it for that reason alone. The R10 has pretty much all of the modern features except in-body image stabilization. There's a cheaper Canon mirrorless out now, the R50, but it only has one dial which means it would be annoying to use in anything but automatic mode. If you're trying to teach kids what the functions on the camera do, you don't necessarily want a device that encourages them to only use automatic mode. Which kind of lens would you be getting with it? There are several different lenses that it tends to be packaged with, if you aren't just buying the body.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
didnt canon make two new lines of lenses, ones for the R range and another smaller set for the M or something?

the M line looks dead in the water. a friend of mine told me he got one and I felt sad for him

also the adapter for EF lenses on the R series is pretty good. I use a Sigma 135mm f1.8 which is an EF lens thru an adapter on my R and I've never had a single issue, works very nicely indeed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

didnt canon make two new lines of lenses, ones for the R range and another smaller set for the M or something?

the M line looks dead in the water. a friend of mine told me he got one and I felt sad for him

The M line seemingly is trying to slot in at the Rebel level of things, so for anyone really wanting to get deep with lenses you’d need the EF-M adapter. I dropped the M3 after a year in favor of Fuji and haven’t looked back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What would be a good lense to go with if I picked up the R10?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a film class? I'd go with either the 24-55 or 24-105 (there's two versions, an expensive L and an entry level one). I guess the 24-250 might be worth considering if you think the kids will need lots of reach.

If you go with EF mount an an adapter you'll be able to save a little money and find a lot more options but those are the focal ranges you should keep an eye for. But if $100 either way isn't that big a deal I'd go RF just so you can buy new.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you have a link for the first two? I don’t think they would need to have far shits for the most part

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

24-55: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf24-50mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm?color=Black&type=New

Cheap 24-105: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf24-105mm-f4-7-1-is-stm?color=Black&type=New

L 24-105: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm?color=Black&type=New

And yeah you definitely don't want your kids to be having far shits.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Speaking from experience the 24-105 is a nice lens but on a crop sensor 24 is longer than you think it is. There’s an EF 18-55 that’s a good range, but I tried it once with the R adapter and it wasn’t as sharp as I would have liked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah sorry, forgot we talking crop body. 24mm is dang close to 35mm though which is a very safe traditional focal length.

There is the rf-s 18-45 but I know nothing about the quality of them.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

echinopsis posted:

also the adapter for EF lenses on the R series is pretty good. I use a Sigma 135mm f1.8 which is an EF lens thru an adapter on my R and I've never had a single issue, works very nicely indeed

The new lenses are Rf-s, designed for the new crop sensor bodies (R10, R7, R50). The bodies are all RF compatible. M is dead.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

echinopsis posted:

also the adapter for EF lenses on the R series is pretty good.

It is, plus there are adapters that allow you to put filters at the back (not just Canon's), which is fantastic for lenses like the Sigma 14-24.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, so it sounds like the R10 with a 24-55 lens is the way to go. Thanks! I will probably check in here if/ when I mess things up or something isn’t available, since I have to wait a few weeks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all these mf with wide rear end lenses

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Also, definitely check out Canon's refurbished site: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/lenses/refurbished-lenses

They have the Cheap 24-105 for $159 right now, which is basically free in Photography Dollars: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-rf24-105mm-f4-7-1-is-stm

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Looking to get into photography for fun, subjects would mainly be individuals or small groups, mix of indoor and outdoor. I do have an interest in long exposure/pictures of sunsets/sunrises and other fun tripod requiring ideas, but I understand that is probably beyond my budget atm. Printing my photos is something I intend to do as well, but the printer is separate from the camera budget.

I have rented a fujifilm xe1 with the kit lens for a vacation many years ago and I adored using it and am currently considering just finding one of those used.

Budget: $900 USD.

Current Camera Gear: I have a bunch of broken film cameras I keep buying at yard sales, and an iphone 12.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 5, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

You beautiful bastard, thank you for making this post. I've been shooting a lot of wide-angle (mostly event photography) and recently thinking about how to get even cooler, wider shots, and the idea of going anamorphic really tickled me (I may have even asked about it ITT). Being that I am not a rich man, this DIY route sounds right up my alley - although some of the compromises, like manual focus and having stretched preview images in my camera screen, sort of preclude it from being used the way I want it - [/spoiler]in the thick of a crowd at a rave with my camera and flash held high and a beer in my other hand screaming "LET'S GOOOO"[/spoiler]

Can you still get the JJ Abrams horizontal lens flare using the ana projection lens in front of your regular lens? I wonder how this would work with the only two primes I have (a 20mm and a 50mm), would it be way too ridiculously wide?

You and I even shoot on the same camera. Thanks again, Z6 buddy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

Looking to get into photography for fun, subjects would mainly be individuals or small groups, mix of indoor and outdoor. I do have an interest in long exposure/pictures of sunsets/sunrises and other fun tripod requiring ideas, but I understand that is probably beyond my budget atm. Printing my photos is something I intend to do as well, but the printer is separate from the camera budget.

I have rented a fujifilm xe1 with the kit lens for a vacation many years ago and I adored using it and am currently considering just finding one of those used.

Budget: $900 USD.

Current Camera Gear: I have a bunch of broken film cameras I keep buying at yard sales, and an iphone 12.

depending on where you live, finding a used Fuji X-E2 or E2S would probably be a reasonable start (the first generation sensor/processor Fujis are going to be real slow and rough to use now compared to even the second gen, eg X-Pro 2/X-T2/X-T20/X-E2/S, etc).

$900 should get you that gen of body and a lens to start out with - would always recommend the 18-55 2.8-4 as a flexible option, or one of the 'Fujicron' f/2 primes (16/2.8, 23, 35), or the pancake 27 if you really want a small package.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

harperdc posted:

depending on where you live, finding a used Fuji X-E2 or E2S would probably be a reasonable start (the first generation sensor/processor Fujis are going to be real slow and rough to use now compared to even the second gen, eg X-Pro 2/X-T2/X-T20/X-E2/S, etc).

$900 should get you that gen of body and a lens to start out with - would always recommend the 18-55 2.8-4 as a flexible option, or one of the 'Fujicron' f/2 primes (16/2.8, 23, 35), or the pancake 27 if you really want a small package.

I'm probably going to be shopping online, are there any places recommended for used fuji gear?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Sextro posted:

I'm probably going to be shopping online, are there any places recommended for used fuji gear?

Keh, mpb,

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Awesome. That just leaves the final question, is the extended warranty/protection offered by Keh worth it? I like the idea of coverage vs accidents.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i wouldn't trust any protection a retailer offers

use your home/condo insurance or whatever if you need such a thing, but consider its absolute necessity on a $900 camera carefully

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm slowly rebuilding out my camera gear after selling everything and starting over with Nikon Z. I've currently got a Nikon Z5 and a 24-120 F4 lens. I'm headed on a long road trip through Canada in two weeks and wanted to get some new stuff for astrophotography and wildlife. I'll eventually get the Nikon Z 180-600 lens but it doesn't release until the end of August.

For now, I was thinking of trying the FTZ adapter and going with the following two used lenses:

Sigma 20mm F/1.4 DG (HSM) A (Art) Lens
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DI VC USD AF Lens

I figure, if I don't like the FTZ, I can just sell everything for about what I paid for it. Any other lenses you'd consider instead?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Nikon 20 1.8 was my favorite lens for wide Astro landscapes if you can find a deal on one or can afford the z version.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Seconding the Z 20mm f/1.8. It's fast (lol) become my favourite lens for a lot of things, most surprisingly event photography (actually that's all I've really done in the past few months).

Speaking of Nikon Z, are there reported issues with the matrix metering and autofocus? It's not often enough to be totally frustrating, but I do have a fair bit of times where it's clearly focusing on the background in what should be a group shot or portrait. It actually performs better in thick crowds of dancing people; with group portraits I sometimes have to be really judicious to ensure it's not focusing on a windowpane in the background or something.

And is there a fix for a stubborn viewfinder eye sensor? I've been manually switching back and forth between screen and VF like a neanderthal because it doesn't seem to recognize anything in front of it anymore. I've blown some duster gas in it a few times, still no joy. Could it be the flimsy rubber shield that's been chewed up by grinding against the inside of my Peak Design bag that's getting in the way of the sensor, or is there like, a firmware update I can run?

Thanks.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
If you want Canon lens and stuff, I still have the following:

Canon Rebel XS
Canon Rebel t2i
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon ef-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon ef-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto

But I guess you're looking for RF not EF mount?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4012546&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post526311765

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Hello I have a camera question.

Last year I started motorcycling and when I go places I like to take some pictures. I have a phone but I want something better and more dedicated. I would also like it to be small so I am more likely to actually take it with me. I have no experience so the camera doesn’t have to be amazing but it would be cool if it was good enough to use if I wanted to be slightly more serious about photography. At least for a little bit until I want to spend more on something bigger. It would be great if I could find something for $500 but I can spend up to $1000.

I checked out mpb and there are some used Fujifilm X100 models, would something like that be a good option?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The X100 series are absolutely fantastic walkaround cameras, as long as you can get one.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

CongoJack posted:

Last year I started motorcycling and when I go places I like to take some pictures. I have a phone but I want something better and more dedicated. I would also like it to be small so I am more likely to actually take it with me. I have no experience so the camera doesn’t have to be amazing but it would be cool if it was good enough to use if I wanted to be slightly more serious about photography. At least for a little bit until I want to spend more on something bigger. It would be great if I could find something for $500 but I can spend up to $1000.

I checked out mpb and there are some used Fujifilm X100 models, would something like that be a good option?

If you want something a little more open ended, the Olympus PEN series looks pretty neat? Out of the box, it looks pretty much like a compact but it has the option for extra lenses if you get the bug.

Edit: Looks like they don't sell the latest model in North America which is a bummer.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 23, 2023

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Thanks for the replies! So it looks like I can get a used x100t or an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III and a short lens for a little more. Other than the ability to change the lens is there any reason I should choose one over the other?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

CongoJack posted:

Thanks for the replies! So it looks like I can get a used x100t or an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III and a short lens for a little more. Other than the ability to change the lens is there any reason I should choose one over the other?

The olympus has really good weather sealing whereas the fuji has none.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

CongoJack posted:

You could also look at the Ricoh GR series - extremely similar in function to the Fuji x100 series, without the charming retro rangefinder styling (and associated YT and Tiktok clout), so they can actually be found for sale.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji X-T30 is about the same size as the X100 series cameras with a 27mm pancake lens.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9PsOGLnvs

This video says the canon powershot g7 mark II is a good older point and shoot camera for its price when used. The creator of the video claimed they got one for about $240 USD (33k yen) in Japan. I know someone who lives in Japan who is visiting in September and willing to buy one and bring it to me. Where can I point them to get one? I tried some searching but only found new ones for sale, as far as google translate could tell me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

clockworkjoe posted:

This video says the canon powershot g7 mark II is a good older point and shoot camera for its price when used. The creator of the video claimed they got one for about $240 USD (33k yen) in Japan. I know someone who lives in Japan who is visiting in September and willing to buy one and bring it to me. Where can I point them to get one? I tried some searching but only found new ones for sale, as far as google translate could tell me.

I also can only find new ones. There are a whole bunch of camera stores around this area just west of Shinjuku station: https://goo.gl/maps/otwYMms2LtyanBNN6 Many don't have websites.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Amazon JP has used from 68,000, Rakuten from 80,000, Kitamura used has one for 73,000.

Either people found out these were a hidden gem, or somebody got lucky at the Hard Off junk pile.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
ahh, thanks for the info. I guess he found a good deal at a store, not online.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

clockworkjoe posted:

ahh, thanks for the info. I guess he found a good deal at a store, not online.

Also the exchange rate is quite favorable right now. Those new ones are like $500.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 31, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

CongoJack posted:

I just bought an x100f from a local auction website in NZ, it was listed as having a problem with the viewfinder shutter getting stuck (the x100 series cameras have a shutter which activates when switching the viewfinder from optical to electronic mode) which meant I got it for about $600 USD vs. about $1300 on KEH. Luckily for me it seems that this issue is really way less of a problem than the seller made it sound, with the shutter only getting stuck if you swap between EVF and OVF modes while holding the camera in portrait orientation, and to fix it you just have to power cycle when holding the camera horizontally.

As far as the camera goes I haven't used it much yet so far but I like it, small enough to carry around, physical inputs enjoyable to use. I use it in OVF mode 100% of the time to avoid the shutter issue and because I prefer to use it like a normal rangefinder camera. I enjoy using my film cameras a lot more than I ever enjoyed using Sony mirrorless cameras, and leaving the x100 in OVF mode you can almost pretend that it's not digital which works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Also the exchange rate is quite favorable right now. Those new ones are like $500.

The exchange rate has been $1:120 or better for a few years, and the camera was originally a 2016 release, right? Probably a pandemic pickup at a shop clearing out new stock or decent used, but before they got trendy.