Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

For me it was the Beatles and CCR, neither of which I want to hear on my speed metal and movie soundtrack playlists.

I could not escape the smiths. No, my EDM station does not need The Smiths. Im pretty sure my Doo Wop station does not need The Smiths. Boy can't wait to hear some classical orchestral compositions like There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

I quit Pandora when I had thumbsdowned so many versions of the same Smiths songs that it was giving me live recordings and covers of those songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the smiths are good and the algorithm WILL have you acknowledge it

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I would GLADLY pay $10 a month for a music streaming service... that doesn't suck. But that doesn't exist - no one is even close.

So I've come full circle and am back to managing a local library of music again. Honestly, I kind of forget how fun it is to piece together playlists and junk when you are bored, but the acquisition process is kind of poo poo (by design).

Point is, Spotify is dogshit. Youtube Music is somehow worse. Amazon and Apple are both pretty bad.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I want oldschool last.fm to come back. It used to be so awesome for nerding out about music and discovering new things and just being solid-rear end streaming radio. But then it kept continually removing features & shittifying itself over and over to the point that I went from being an enthusiastic paid subscriber to cancelling my sub to not using it at all

I'm shocked that it still exists as a website, I don't know if it even does anything anymore

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 10, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Are you saying we need to bring back radio...on the internet?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

flesh dance posted:

I want oldschool last.fm to come back. It used to be so awesome for nerding out about music and discovering new things and just being solid-rear end streaming radio. But then it kept continually removing features & shittifying itself over and over to the point that I went from being an enthusiastic paid subscriber to cancelling my sub to not using it at all

I'm shocked that it still exists as a website, I don't know if it even does anything anymore

It's where people subscribed to other services go to count their scrobbles and other pointless statistics

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

steinrokkan posted:

It's where people subscribed to other services go to count their scrobbles and other pointless statistics

GDPR forces Spotify to offer a way to get all your data.

I dumped the csv into one big spreadsheet and after two weeks of tinkering I finally managed to get it in a SQL database in Azure so I can throw queries at it.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I’ve noticed that car-charging stations are SUPER keen on making sure your charging experience sucks.
  • Want to pay cash? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without installing an app? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without signing up? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without signing a mandatory binding arbitration agreement? gently caress you.
  • Want to see which chargers are broken before you park? gently caress you.
  • Want to see whether any charger is available or working before driving to a charging station? gently caress you.
Also feels awesome paying for the privilege of paying to charge my car.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Bodyholes posted:

my phone--which has an audio jack.

Well look at this fancy fuckin guy here

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
When Amazon (Prime?) Music started randomizing album track order unless you paid for the premium tier of their service, I immediately deleted the app. What could possibly be the point of that? Why make it harder to listen to an album?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I’ve noticed that car-charging stations are SUPER keen on making sure your charging experience sucks.
  • Want to pay cash? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without installing an app? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without signing up? gently caress you.
  • Want to charge without signing a mandatory binding arbitration agreement? gently caress you.
  • Want to see which chargers are broken before you park? gently caress you.
  • Want to see whether any charger is available or working before driving to a charging station? gently caress you.
Also feels awesome paying for the privilege of paying to charge my car.

Never have a problem with my Model 3 :smuggo:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i have apple music free through a family plan somehow and it is surprisingly good, honestly.

meanwhile literally every time i open something from google drive everything about the interface has gotten slightly worse somehow

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Do any of you use bandcamp? I basically stopped using spotify, amazon, apple music, etc and just discover / buy / download / stream all my music there.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Rockman Reserve posted:

meanwhile literally every time i open something from google drive everything about the interface has gotten slightly worse somehow

I discovered that a pdf opened in drive allows me to drag a rectangle over the page to highlight and add a comment, which is incredibly useful for providing notes to a student whose dissertation I am reviewing. But if you click anywhere on the screen other than the peekaboo taskbar or the confines of the page, you immediately warp out of the reader and have to reopen the pdf and start scrolling from the top to find where you left off.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

bossy lady posted:

Do any of you use bandcamp? I basically stopped using spotify, amazon, apple music, etc and just discover / buy / download / stream all my music there.

yeah i do. i mentioned it in the "what of worth is left on the internet" thread and found out it's now owned by epic game store or some poo poo so am waiting to see it go to poo poo too. no sign yet though

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah Bandcamp is alright, and I haven't noticed it getting shittier for no good reason even after Epic/Tencent bought it. I don't stream from it, don't use the app, but it pays the vast majority of the money to the author, lets authors give poo poo away for free, lets you download poo poo in whatever format you want. Using it to build a local music collection, I have no issues with it. If you want to stream from it, well, the web interface works okay but I don't really use the app or anything like that, and couldn't tell you about discovery.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i browse around bandcamp for new stuff sometimes, discovery is fine if not SUPER AI DJ'd. I do use and stream from the app just for convenience but the yeah main purpose is having my own local collection. i've even bought physical media direct from artists via bandcamp which is its own fun. sometimes they throw in a sticker or email you surprised that they have a fan in another country, or whatever.

as an example, here's something weird you can only find on bandcamp, the genre is apparently "mallsoft" (? like vaporwave but for actual worldized audio of actual elevator music, i guess?). they made 30 tapes and each comes with a little keychain and some polaroids of the quebec mall (?) it seems based on

https://malltalkcollective.bandcamp.com/album/woolcowave

i wouldn't know something like that exists any other way than bandcamp. i didn't buy it but i'm glad i found out something like that exists

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bandcamp is pretty decent, but it's decency is on borrowed time. Enjoy it while you can.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

bossy lady posted:

I've still got an extensive collection of CDs!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I had an Almond Joy for the first time in months and it was terrible. The chocolate was chalky, like the bottom of the barrel 98 cents store easter eggs that are more for decoration than for eating. Very little filling and it was smaller than I remember.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Plan R posted:

I've still got an extensive collection of CDs!

I still buy CD's!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ProperCoochie posted:

I had an Almond Joy for the first time in months and it was terrible. The chocolate was chalky, like the bottom of the barrel 98 cents store easter eggs that are more for decoration than for eating. Very little filling and it was smaller than I remember.

It’s getting so every brand I remember from my childhood is assumed to be lovely. I bought the dollar store brand A1 for burned steak emergencies and it tasted like I remembered.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does anyone want 2 CDs?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

TO SEE THESE HUGE PIG BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We are actually buying vinyl now. I didn't really think that this would be the physical medium that stands the test of time, but a lot of folks are putting out more vinyl records then CDs it seems - at least in the spaces we buy stuff.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We are actually buying vinyl now. I didn't really think that this would be the physical medium that stands the test of time, but a lot of folks are putting out more vinyl records then CDs it seems - at least in the spaces we buy stuff.

Because vinyls have cache as collectibles and subjectively offer a different experience from just pulling the song up on a stream. You can rip a CD into flacs or 192k mp3s if you want but that doesn't really differ from a streamed/downloaded version in any way that's meaningful to most people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Remember a free years ago when, for no reason, they stopped calling out Google Drive, made you download a new and shittier app called "Google Sync" , and then reverted back to Google Drive and you had to download the new OLD app?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

I could not escape the smiths. No, my EDM station does not need The Smiths. Im pretty sure my Doo Wop station does not need The Smiths. Boy can't wait to hear some classical orchestral compositions like There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

I quit Pandora when I had thumbsdowned so many versions of the same Smiths songs that it was giving me live recordings and covers of those songs.

Seems like they're going about things the wrong way now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haljordan posted:

If you view quotes or trivia or goofs now on imdb they only show you a few entries and make you click a fuckin link to actually show everything and if you minimize your browser or click off the tab it forgets where you were in the list and you have to start all over.

They also added an idiotic floating "Return to top" button that you can't disable and it is supremely aggravating when browsing the site on a mobile device.

Do you know what a Bookmarklet is? Here's one that if you click it will remove sticky elements: https://pastebin.com/xC0zquF1

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The issue is is that my tastes are loving scattershot and no one service manages to have them all, or at least most, or even consistently.

I’m a big fan of Big Black and Albini does NOT make this easy. Half of the albums were on Spotify for years and now they’re totally gone. I love having vinyl but I can’t take it with me on a train.

gently caress, it took years for Olivia Newton John’s Magic to be on Spotify while the rest of the Xanadu album was on there.

And I know once I visit family in the states, I’ll hear songs I haven’t heard in years purely because the rights don’t exist in Sweden so whoops guess we won’t be hearing that!!!!!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

teen witch posted:

gently caress, it took years for Olivia Newton John’s Magic to be on Spotify while the rest of the Xanadu album was on there.

As long as Dancin’ was on there.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

teen witch posted:

The issue is is that my tastes are loving scattershot and no one service manages to have them all, or at least most, or even consistently.

I’m a big fan of Big Black and Albini does NOT make this easy. Half of the albums were on Spotify for years and now they’re totally gone. I love having vinyl but I can’t take it with me on a train.

not to say he wasn't right for delisting his poo poo from Spotify in protest of how they gently caress over artists but

c'mon

it's fuckin Steve Albini. the guy was calling CDs the 'rich person's 8 track' back in the 80s and yelling about how disc rot will make everything unplayable in ten years
it's a miracle his crotchety rear end didn't immediately hate streaming right out the gate

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

not to say he wasn't right for delisting his poo poo from Spotify in protest of how they gently caress over artists but

c'mon

it's fuckin Steve Albini. the guy was calling CDs the 'rich person's 8 track' back in the 80s and yelling about how disc rot will make everything unplayable in ten years
it's a miracle his crotchety rear end didn't immediately hate streaming right out the gate

Oh no I’m fully aware of the irony

Just sucks because it’s a tough time actually finding BB vinyls unless if I’m back in the states

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

credburn posted:

I am certain Spotify's shuffle is not random. Looking it up, people suggest that disabling this "automix" thing makes shuffle random, but it doesn't. In a playlist with 70 hours of music, I shouldn't hear the same song three times in two hours. And that same song the next day. And the next.

e: I guess it's kind of been that way forever though, this isn't really new

Spotify connect as a feature has a limit of 50 song playlists so it could be that. But yes it seems to be almost seasonal or weekly shuffles of a subset for me instead of just shuffling all my liked songs. Which is all I want it to do.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

bossy lady posted:

I have a small pain point about Bandcamp, even before Epic bought them, and is kind-of in line with the thread topic.

If you don't download albums you're enabling the service to remove content that you've paid for. While I'm sure this might have been copyright related, an EP I purchased has four fewer tracks (remixes) than it did when I got it. I also know a few artists that erased almost all of their material from the site after getting a bit bigger, though I'm not sure if that removes them from your library.

Great site though.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yes but it's difficult fitting vinyl into my car.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Gawr Gooner posted:

I have a small pain point about Bandcamp, even before Epic bought them, and is kind-of in line with the thread topic.

If you don't download albums you're enabling the service to remove content that you've paid for. While I'm sure this might have been copyright related, an EP I purchased has four fewer tracks (remixes) than it did when I got it. I also know a few artists that erased almost all of their material from the site after getting a bit bigger, though I'm not sure if that removes them from your library.

Great site though.

Yes this happened to me too. It's very annoying. I wish they would alert users first so they could download the "offending" tracks before they get taken down. I got lucky since i'm a packrat and download everything.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Noticed it a while back already, but youtube will alternate actual search results and 'Recommended for you' bullshit when you're searching for videos. Took me a while to realize why my search results sucked so badly.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The youtube ad algorithm has decided that people who use chromecasts want more ads. I'm getting maybe 3x the ads on a 30 minute video essay on my TV than I'd get with it on a browser. Also I get more 15+ second unskippable ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
My Chromecast has recently become useless for YouTube because the advert to content ratio is totally hosed, I would rather just watch on my phone so I don't have to see 50 adverts per video