Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

COVID test jokes in 2023

"From the creators of The Simpsons"...... In 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

To shreds, you say

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I haven't read the episode titles or descriptions but I definitely expect a transphobic episode

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I mean, they’ve already done multiple transphobic episodes, so they’re definitely no strangers to it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Over/under odds on a future title being "The Bender Gender"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They already did that pun

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I mean, they’ve already done multiple transphobic episodes, so they’re definitely no strangers to it.

I always feel bad about the Bender sex change episode because it's transphobic premise aside it is a really funny episode and I won't skip it

Still, I'm ready for them never to do another episode about gender again, or any episodes at all really

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think there was an episode in one of the newer seasons where some sci fi thing made them all swap genders. Or maybe I imagined that, idk, but the show definitely got more into barely disguised fetish territory later on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Barely disguised fetish' and 'standard wacky sci-fi plot devices' are an extremely fuzzy line at the best of times.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

anyone want a soda made from the secretion of a queen?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

They already did that pun
that was "The Gender Bender"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Occam’s razor is that the current writers grew up after Reboot and have never heard of it

It's definitely just a joke about the glut of reboots and origin stories, not a reference to the 90s cartoon ReBoot.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Reboot should be left alone anyway, without Tony Jay to play Megabyte there's absolutely no point.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I think there was an episode in one of the newer seasons where some sci fi thing made them all swap genders. Or maybe I imagined that, idk, but the show definitely got more into barely disguised fetish territory later on.

That was an actual episode, and it was the laziest, hackiest collection of gender cliches imaginable.

"Women be shopping, amirite?"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Got further in rewatch middle of season 4, still good but dang they did not have a plan for Fry & Leela & seem to keep hitting the reset button on their relationship. Also hasn’t aged well (if it was ever ok) that Fry refuses to accept his coworker doesn’t want to date him & he won’t respect her right to say no. In real life that behavior isn’t wacky and would lead to Fry waiting by her space car with a blaster pistol.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, most TV has got the memo that "keep being persistent and you will get the girl" is no longer a standard cool and good stock plotline

Futurama kinda gets grandfathered in under the wire but it really should not be doubling down at this point

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Fry is literally the dumbest guy alive and Leela can do so much better

Like The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings is still a superb episode but that was always a cursed subplot

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Even as a teenager, I didn't like the Fry and Leela pairing. They just didn't fit at all, and as time went on they played it more and more straight, which was perplexing to me. Like, it's up there with Ross and Rachel in terms of unfathomable TV couplings.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He was a good fit with Amy, who also got a bad pairing with Kif

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah honestly Amy-Fry and Kif-Leela make way more sense as long-term pairings.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Listen, amy was just an available silly, fun, rich, attractive, energetic, sexual person that had a super compatible personality with fry. Why would he possibly want that when he could chase after his tube-mommy?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s like solid platonic relationships between two people can’t exist in TV World, so every show has to “will they or won’t they?” until the heat death of the universe.

It’s so tiring, and Futurama was no different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They get together in the later seasons and it mostly seems to involve Leela acting out of character to make it work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fry bothering Leela isn’t terribly different than Zapp harassing Leela, except Zapp tends to leave her alone when she’s not in his direct line of sight.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My headcanon is that Leela, having been made fun of basically from birth about her physical appearance, has such poor self-esteem that she sees Fry as a catch simply because he's neither mean to her (like Alcazar) nor repulsive (like Zapp Brannigan). Never mind that he's stupid, childish, unambitious, and doesn't take good care of himself!

Mantis42 posted:

He was a good fit with Amy, who also got a bad pairing with Kif

Even Amy was arguably too good for Fry despite the fact that she made more sense with him than Leela does, mostly because Fry isn't good enough for anyone. Another classic case of critical heterosexual male sitcom protagonist syndrome.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

amy and fry wouldn’t have worked long-term. eventually it would have gotten weird for her that he sounds so much like her dad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Way I've heard it put is that Leela clearly has complexes from her childhood, but the other way. She has very high standards for men- about every time she's seen dating it's with a man who at least appears to be of high status- the mayor's assistant, the shapeshifter who at least seems rich, even technically Zapp. And if she's only accepting approaches from men like that, any rejection is on her part.

While it's a bit retroactive, her relationship with Fry makes some sense if she does like him and enjoy his company, but she's frustrated at how unambitious and immature he is. When he does impress her it's usually when he manages to go above and beyond to accomplish great things on his own accord, using the brains and motivation he has but neglects to use. And of course, her relationship with Lars is literally that with a more mature, more accomplished Fry. Otherwise, she's well aware that a relationship with Fry means settling for someone who she'd likely end up supporting and can't necessarily rely on- but if he was just a bit better...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I figured out why the Mary Poppins parody always felt off to me, like a season 10 episode transplanted to season 8. Al Jean wrote it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Writing a spec script about Krusty hiring a writer named Mal Jean who ruins Itchy and Scratchy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mantis42 posted:

Writing a spec script about Krusty hiring a writer named Mal Jean who ruins Itchy and Scratchy

everything's coming up poochie!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Way I've heard it put is that Leela clearly has complexes from her childhood, but the other way. She has very high standards for men- about every time she's seen dating it's with a man who at least appears to be of high status- the mayor's assistant, the shapeshifter who at least seems rich, even technically Zapp. And if she's only accepting approaches from men like that, any rejection is on her part.

While it's a bit retroactive, her relationship with Fry makes some sense if she does like him and enjoy his company, but she's frustrated at how unambitious and immature he is. When he does impress her it's usually when he manages to go above and beyond to accomplish great things on his own accord, using the brains and motivation he has but neglects to use. And of course, her relationship with Lars is literally that with a more mature, more accomplished Fry. Otherwise, she's well aware that a relationship with Fry means settling for someone who she'd likely end up supporting and can't necessarily rely on- but if he was just a bit better...

They also have two episodes that do a really good job of presenting a Fry that could be a good partner for Leela: the one where he gets worms that make him a 10x better version of himself and the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings, where he's actually able to express his emotions cogently through his music. Also the parabox one where they meet a happy, married version of themselves. I dunno it seems like it would be easy for her to fall into probably a bad trap of going "Well, in there somewhere is the right man".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fry is a better partner that modern day Homer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
clearly a better partner than Cyclops bundy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

They also have two episodes that do a really good job of presenting a Fry that could be a good partner for Leela: the one where he gets worms that make him a 10x better version of himself and the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings, where he's actually able to express his emotions cogently through his music. Also the parabox one where they meet a happy, married version of themselves. I dunno it seems like it would be easy for her to fall into probably a bad trap of going "Well, in there somewhere is the right man".

I was thinking the worms episode, while it seems arbitrary that everyone is against it I kinda get it; it's fairly clear that the Fry then is far more the worms than he is the Fry they know, for good and bad, and it certainly wasn't with informed consent that he chose to host them. While the devil's hands is actually something he DID choose of his own free will, for better or worse. I'm probably thinking more than the writers did, but still.

I do just feel it's more interesting, and hell, maybe realistic, if Leela is specifically conflicted on it. That there's understandable pros and cons from her perspective that she's grappling with. The whole future time travel episode does have her message indicate that, not just as a potential-maybe romantic partner but as a friend, Fry made her happy and she feels her life is lesser without him. But the exact nature of their relationship is in flux.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fry's best qualities are all emotional. He's supportive, selfless, loving, and loyal. He's not really a good partner since he's usually too dumb to function, but I can understand what it is Leela sees in him.

Pretty much as stated above. Leela's got an emotional gap that Fry fills with sincere reverence.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When Futurama started, Fry was more of the main viewpoint character, and as such he was a relatable everyman, and from that perspective, the audience would be more aware of his inner life and his flaws compared to the other characters. And when the show stumbled from that into something like an ensemble comedy, they leaned way more into the idea that Fry is just really dumb (which conversely meant that the other characters were some kind of smart).

Although it's also a classic male gaze situation with relationship between Fry and Leela where the man is supposed to be relatably flawed and dumpy, while the woman is supposed to be attractive and perfect except for the natural inscrutability from being a separate human being with her own inner life.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not sure Leela was ever portrayed as perfect, and as for being attractive, well... she was a cyclops...

Also in that episode where Leela had two eyes, Fry was the only one who said she didn't need the surgery and was just fine with one eye, cos he's a good dude.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There are a ton of episodes where Fry shows emotional growth and maturity. The problem is it’s a sitcom and has the need to continually hit reset. Fry can’t be Fry if he isn’t a lovable idiot and all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did anyone say Armin Tamzarian yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
No, because he doesn't exist?