Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's an open secret that Boris is an insane weirdo, so this does not surprise me one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's an open secret that Boris is an insane weirdo, so this does not surprise me one bit.

Yeah, you shouldn't feel comfortable injecting and running his code on your machine.

Also I recommend https://dragonbornsfate.moddinglinked.com/ using that as a baseline at least for all the fixes and tweaks. I've run the Lux and Lux via mods which look nice. True directional movement and nemesis combined with Valhalla combat makes the game seem fresh. ( Skyrim is sort of my comfort gaming when I need to tune out and can't handle anything deeper. Like some people rewatch Friends for the umpteenth time, I mod Skyrim into shape)

Additionally I recommend SmoothCam and I've heard good things about Improved camera SE.

You do not need ENB for anything really anymore, like I'm running with parallax textures just fine without it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Ended up basically nuking my entire Skyrim install after getting sick of constant crashes I couldn't solve. None of the Wabbajack lists look interesting to me, so guess I am starting over.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want to collect all of the things and put them in my shiny museum again. Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of the strengths/weaknesses of the current wabbajack packs that include Legacy of the Dragonborn? There seem to be only 4 right now.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Flowing Thot posted:

Decided to swap to Community Shaders because gently caress Boris and trying to load my save results in a CTD, but a new game works fine. I can't believe I'm starting again gently caress my life.

yeah lol. I had to restart because I had to return to NFF instead of EFF. It sucks that EFF doesn't let me designate a character as healer. Also I started using Fabled Forests and managed to get Dyndolod working. NGIO's precache stopped working for me a while ago so the large overgrown forest mods just hides my nonexistent grass lods. Skyrim being covered by almost primeval forests is also a nice touch.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 10, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zereth posted:

I want to collect all of the things and put them in my shiny museum again. Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of the strengths/weaknesses of the current wabbajack packs that include Legacy of the Dragonborn? There seem to be only 4 right now.

Its kind of like sim settlements for Fallout 4. I enjoy using it because its a cool way to showcase character progression and its a neat psuedoguild you can join.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

Its kind of like sim settlements for Fallout 4. I enjoy using it because its a cool way to showcase character progression and its a neat psuedoguild you can join.
I've played with it before and want to do so again, but there's four modpacks and they all seem to have problems to me. (To whit: One's from the guy who decided to put in their fallout 4 modpack both a mod which makes the X-01 power armor unique and the parts spread across the commonweatlh, AND a mod which gives the Brotherhood magic paint jobs which make the normally lesser power armor they use stronger than max rank X-01 power armor, so I don't trust the guy to consider the effects of mods on other mods, one's a "gritty, low-magic, hardcore survival-adventure experience" which is not what I want, one "focuses primarily on visuals" and I prefer content, and the last one has a big update save-breaking update pending coming "Summer 2023".)

I was hoping somebody could, like, confirm or deny my impressions here, or be able to point out some modpack I missed that's not one of these that includes it but doesn't have that tag.

I was also hoping to find one where killing people with magic is actually practical as my main weapon unlike the last time I played where i was having some problems and grabbed the shittiest bow and shittiest arrows i had in my inventory with no skill gained or perks and it outperformed destruction magic so the low-magic pack is doubly not what I want

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
three of the four have enairim enabled so its not just going to be visual overhauls. There will be differences in skills, perks, races etc too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want a significant amount of not-base-game Things to do, ideally that were not in the older version of Septimus when it had Legacy of the Dragonborn in it. (And are any good, of course.)

What is enairim like anyway? I think Septimus used a different base for its changes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its enaision's suites of mods that overhaul mechanical aspects of the game. I mostly use the other suite of mods: simonrim which is a much more reserved mod series. If you are using enairim, you can make some really cool and wacky character builds, have cool spell synergies and the like. If you want more content, get the one in your list that specifically mentions power fantasy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zereth posted:

The largest difference between them is probably going to be if they use Enairim overhauls or Simonrim overhauls. Simonrim is more vanilla plus while Enairim tends to be a more drastic departure from vanilla.

Edit: if you want to play a mage both are better than vanilla but the Enaison spells also add a bunch of really cool utility spells and weirdness, so I'd probably go with that. If one of them also uses Forgotten Magic then you're loving golden for a mage character.

Double Edit: Lost Legacy is probably what you want if you're wanting to be a loving kick rear end mage.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 10, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Double Edit: Lost Legacy is probably what you want if you're wanting to be a loving kick rear end mage.
I had generally come to this conclusion but the problem with this modpack is:

And a lot of the mods/changes in this upcoming version do look interesting or "Oh, yes, that'd be good to have"

So my options are "No", "No", "Eeeehhhhnnnn", and "Not Ready". :negative: Guess I'll just keep checking.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Just do it now and then start a new save in September.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that a guess for when it'll be done or do you have some actual evidence?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Zereth posted:

Is that a guess for when it'll be done or do you have some actual evidence?

Me misremembering what was said earlier in thread / September is the end of summer. It’s based off nothing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat, a hard/firm date, even if it's bad news, would definitely be helpful. :negative:

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hey, late last year I stumbled upon a modpack that uses Vortex, thus requiring a Nexus premium account to use. It's based off of the Anniversary Edition.

I've played countless hours of this game since it first launched on PS3, and this pack was the first time I've felt like it was an entirely new game. A complete revamp of how the entire game feels on a fundamental level without actually removing any of the vanilla content.

It's called Constellations. It's based off of the mod Requiem, but the pack author custom coded countless patches to make it more wide open, and be compatible with an immense amount of other mods, including Vigilant, Sirenroot, and the Saints and Seducers Extended Cut.

It even spruces up some vanilla quests. Like the Thieves' Guild and Companions have you do the radiant quests and special jobs in-between the main quests and the College requires you to study magic and be a student for a bit before the Sarthaal quest.

3DNPC is included as well, which had an astonishing amount of content and two entire secret main questlines.

The creator is extremely responsive on the pack's Discord server. I reported a few bugs and they were fixed on the next update. I once had a dave file get some sort of game-breaking script lag, and he had me send him the save and he manually fixed it for me within a day.

Unfortunately, it does NOT include Legacy of the Drsgonborn, so its not 100% relevant to the request for packs, but drat I just love this pack so much that I had to gush about it somewhere.

Anyway, here's the link.
https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/9zfscf?tab=about

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Last time I used a Requiem based mod list I looked up advice for a new player and they recommended spending several hours in Riverwood chopping down trees and making flutes to sell so you could afford armor and weapons to survive clearing out bandits in Embershard Mine. What was your early game experience?

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Air Skwirl posted:

Last time I used a Requiem based mod list I looked up advice for a new player and they recommended spending several hours in Riverwood chopping down trees and making flutes to sell so you could afford armor and weapons to survive clearing out bandits in Embershard Mine. What was your early game experience?

You do still start as a nobody, though the Skyrim Unbound presets the pack come with let you start with basic adventuring gear, either randomized, or chosen by you. You also start with 6 Perk Points which helps a lot.

I've played several characters now, and my early game is usually to use training dummies to get my basic weapon or spell skills up to 25, while making money either through chopping wood or running courier missives or personal favors for townspeople. The first few levels are rough, where you mostly are going to want to only fight mud crabs, wolves, skeevers, and low level humanoids that attack by themselves.

Requiem in this pack is immensely expanded to include various combat mods, magic mods, and all the CC content. Its also MUCH easier to make a build of whatever you want. I made an Imperial Vampire samurai who exclusively used katanas and wind magic and it Just Worked. I even started in County Bruma just for fun!

Oh, and there's also optional patches that tone down all enemy stats, or just start you at level 10 to skip the early game and go straight to bandit-level threats.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zereth posted:

drat, a hard/firm date, even if it's bad news, would definitely be helpful. :negative:

Check your private messages, I'll give you a "hard/firm date". :pervert:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

part of the fun with mods is finding new ways to kill Grelod the Kind. this time she was sacrificed to the coolest daedra of them all

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rainbow Knight posted:

part of the fun with mods is finding new ways to kill Grelod the Kind. this time she was sacrificed to the coolest daedra of them all

is that a Grelod follower mod or something?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There are various mods that include various ways to add anyone to the follower faction, permanently or temporarily.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

I was really annoyed when I used a Simonrim modset and found out his vampire overhaul doesn't let you kill people by sucking out all their blood, specifically because that's how I wanted to kill Grelod the Kind.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Midnight Voyager posted:

is that a Grelod follower mod or something?

this time it was the Dream Geas perk from Ordinator.

Air Skwirl posted:

I was really annoyed when I used a Simonrim modset and found out his vampire overhaul doesn't let you kill people by sucking out all their blood, specifically because that's how I wanted to kill Grelod the Kind.

having only just started getting back into the game after a couple of years i'm not familiar with Simonrim mods. how do they compare to all the Enai mods?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Rainbow Knight posted:

having only just started getting back into the game after a couple of years i'm not familiar with Simonrim mods. how do they compare to all the Enai mods?

In a similar boat, running with some simonrim ones on my current playthrough. I think the general simplistic view is that simonrim is more vanilla+/vanilla enhancement based, where enais mods are slightly more 'overhaul' types that change a bunch of stuff. I don't notice 95% of the time that I've got almost all the simonrim mods on (though the last time I played was about 4 years ago which may affect my memory) so they slot in quite nicely with the vanilla experience, I think the only one I've intentionally skipped is the alchemy overhaul because it makes health potions heal over time and I'm too dumb to remember that when I'm playing

Both suites have a pretty good name and there's no showstoppers for either as far as I'm aware, so it's just about what sort of vibe you want!

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 20, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I run both, different characters on different profiles. I specifically use Enai's older set - Ordinator, etc. I don't know what his newer set works like that's more vanilla.

You get a lot stronger in Enai, and can more easily do weirder builds. You can do stuff like Rat Summoners, or Skeleton Armies, or Illusion Dream Thief style play. There's a lot of specific stuff you can unlock in the skill trees and magic overhauls, and then even more if you get into his shouts overhaul and whatnot.

Simon's are more like Vanilla++. Some of the weaker skill trees and spell schools are buffed. Some of the stronger things (Alch, Enchanting, Smithing) are nerfed. QoL all over as well. It's also very well done, but you might need to stick to a more standard style build.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/96273

Its another one of those game changing mods just released on a fortnightly basis.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Not the Messiah posted:

https://imgur.com/a/doCyGnR

Looking at the comments on the community shaders page and hoo boy Boris (ENB creator) is having an absolutely normal one

I love how it's impossible not to read these in a Russian accent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/96273

Its another one of those game changing mods just released on a fortnightly basis.

God damned.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zereth posted:

I had generally come to this conclusion but the problem with this modpack is:

And a lot of the mods/changes in this upcoming version do look interesting or "Oh, yes, that'd be good to have"

So my options are "No", "No", "Eeeehhhhnnnn", and "Not Ready". :negative: Guess I'll just keep checking.

Apparently 1.2.0 is fully released now so go wild.

I haven't played Skyrim in a decade but I'm craving it so I might grab this modlist and go for a wild ride.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ruggan posted:

Apparently 1.2.0 is fully released now so go wild.

I haven't played Skyrim in a decade but I'm craving it so I might grab this modlist and go for a wild ride.
Eh? I just checked, it still says "In progress ETA summer 2023"

EDIT: and yeah the thing on wabbajack is not showing one of the changes I checked listed in the changelog. Assuming that's what "archive search" does, anyway.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zereth posted:

Eh? I just checked, it still says "In progress ETA summer 2023"

EDIT: and yeah the thing on wabbajack is not showing one of the changes I checked listed in the changelog. Assuming that's what "archive search" does, anyway.

This info is hot off the discord, which I only joined literally last night and only because I was curious about an ETA.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ruggan posted:

This info is hot off the discord, which I only joined literally last night and only because I was curious about an ETA.

Oh poo poo

Guess the website and Wabbajack haven't been updated yet but should be soon :bubblewoop:

EDIT: kinda hate people using discord as the primary info distribution method, though

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, wait, I found the releases. ... Do I want 1.2.0, or 1.2.0-rc1?? nevermind I also figure out how to actually see specific times on github

Zereth fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 24, 2023

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So is it no longer considered necessary to clean the DLC plugins anymore?

For so many years it was considered by the modding community to be good practice. I'm surprised that it could eventually be revealed as pointless.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This modpack's wabbjack generates its own installation of skyrim separate from the one steam has so whatever that means I assume if it's necessary it does it itself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody got any idea why I can't forge dwarven armor despite having the perk for it in this modpack? I'm guessing some drat mod made it so I have to do it somewhere specific, but I'm not sure how to tell which one.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Zereth posted:

Anybody got any idea why I can't forge dwarven armor despite having the perk for it in this modpack? I'm guessing some drat mod made it so I have to do it somewhere specific, but I'm not sure how to tell which one.

I've seen lists that include a mod requiring you to have the Ancient Knowledge perk from the Unfathomable Depths sidequest that starts in Riften before you can craft dwarven armor, maybe that's what's going on. If you're handy with xEdit you can check the recipes for the armor there and see what the requirements are, or you can ask on the list's Discord to find out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
think thats the biggest pitfall of wabbajack modlists for me.