Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

started my first week as an organizer for UAW and signed my own union card as part of a union drive among the temporary organizers :c00l:

Good poo poo. Big ups to my UAW brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My dues are paying your salary. Talk about a successful goon fund

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

started my first week as an organizer for UAW and signed my own union card as part of a union drive among the temporary organizers :c00l:

Hell yes brother!!!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1674948219997159424?s=20

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/UNITEHERE11/status/1675489775908982784?s=20

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
one of the things i'll miss about twitter is the union updates. guess i gotta look at newsletters again like an old head

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
ok hold onto your hats but Starbucks broke the law

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1675972028317171712

read the whole thread if Elon allows you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is this actually gonna happen. drat could you imagine

https://twitter.com/Teamsters/status/1676509553205051396?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maybe? UPS came back pretty quick last week after that first proposal leaked.

maybe UPS isn't getting the responses they want from the Biden adminstration

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

UPS needs to drag things out until the holiday season to get the same response the railroads did, and I don't think the union is going to give them that.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Has anyone had any success in communicating on a lane of "union response to CEO blog post on the company confluence instance?" angle?

Our 14th CEO in 18 months (lol) has decided to post weekly blogs of his musings and thoughts on the company and there's a lot of excess energy in the union slack after they get published but lots of us are concerned that not being able to provide private feedback on those insane screeds about how we just need to be okay with taking risks with the privacy of customer data would paint individual members as targets/squeaky wheels. We have as part of our CBA our own space for the locals in said Confluence instance so I feel like being able to provide mostly-anonymous official responses to the CEO blog post would be a good way of using that space

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1677071248638050304

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how disrespectful of their school's founder and traditions. Leland stanford is rolling in his grave

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Jul 7, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got promoted to unit rep for everyone in my title :w00t:

lol the union gives me more mobility and more leadership opportunities that my actual job, or any job I've ever had.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

skooma512 posted:

lol the union gives me more mobility and more leadership opportunities that my actual job, or any job I've ever had.

that is fuckin awseome!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

the union makes us strong

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

hell yeah

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

skooma512 posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

the union makes us strong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Let's fuckin go.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

when i sing solidarity forever, i keep in the line about owners being parasites

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
my workplace organized :twisted:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

im saint germain posted:

this u?

https://twitter.com/takesAEGIS/status/1678481056520101889

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

im saint germain posted:

bring it in brother

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

im saint germain posted:

thats whats up

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

im saint germain posted:

hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im saint germain posted:

lfg.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

interesting developments at ALU

https://www.labornotes.org/2023/07/reform-caucus-rises-sues-elections-amazon-labor-union

pretty sad that with the amount of moment they had after that victory and the hope developing after their first win, ALU is at the point where they couldn't get 10 workers to show up to a membership meeting and just stopped holding them. Wonder wtf is happening with that exec board and why they're operating like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe all the contrarian Smalls haters were right. poo poo!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In Training posted:

I can't believe all the contrarian Smalls haters were right. poo poo!!!

It's tough to trust anyone who suddenly gets a ton of publicity out of nowhere.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm available to join

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

In Training posted:

interesting developments at ALU

https://www.labornotes.org/2023/07/reform-caucus-rises-sues-elections-amazon-labor-union

pretty sad that with the amount of moment they had after that victory and the hope developing after their first win, ALU is at the point where they couldn't get 10 workers to show up to a membership meeting and just stopped holding them. Wonder wtf is happening with that exec board and why they're operating like this.

"That effort was capped off by a failed attempt at mediation by veteran labor educator and organizer Bill Fletcher. The ALU board had agreed to mediation and even suggested Fletcher as a mediator—then reversed course and rejected mediation before it could begin."

i've seen fletchers name pop up here and there, mostly through a union organizer that i personally detested. is fletcher For Real or is he a dinosaur/snake oil/hanger on?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://cwa-union.org/news/releases/historic-vote-cwa-elects-claude-cummings-jr-president-and-ameenah-salaam-secretary

I met this guy at a convention. His election seemed impossible in a three-person race until very recently where one of the candidates was outed as a screaming workplace abuser and the other candidate was covering it up. So Claude won via process of elimination

Seems like a nice enough guy, but very much an Old School AT&T, union as a service, kinda dude

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

remember the biden photo op lol

remind me, did he invite any of the railroad workers to the oval office

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

remember the biden photo op lol

remind me, did he invite any of the railroad workers to the oval office

O_o he is the president of the ALU which was a pretty historic thing, why would it be unshocking that he got coverage?

anyways unions arent about 1 person, theyre about the workers. one of the downsides of starting your own union is that you have to figure this stuff out. hope the alu do

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SAG-AFTRA looks like they'll be going on strike today. Their negotiating committee said AMPTP was offering nothing, the national cmte will make the decision this morning to authorize the strike.

Good poo poo. First time in over 50 years that both will be out at the same time

In Training has issued a correction as of 13:42 on Jul 13, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Working Hard, Thank You!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lib and let die posted:

Working Hard, Thank You!

gosh wouldn’t want a Negative Perception of Our Union

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I took it as a compliment, even though it's very much being said to cool our enthusiasm for a proposed project.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Maybe if we were allowed to communicate as a union and explain why we function as we do we would have a more positive perception?

No, that's not a good use of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

In Training posted:

SAG-AFTRA looks like they'll be going on strike today. Their negotiating committee said AMPTP was offering nothing, the national cmte will make the decision this morning to authorize the strike.

Good poo poo. First time in over 50 years that both will be out at the same time

Very good to see, especially since...

Studios have laid their map out and they're fine with waiting till the writers start starving.