Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
The only thing worth caring about in board games this year is Kaiju Table Battles by my big sis Mabel Holland: a queer punk zine about love and monstrousness and love through shared monstrousness, and also there's like a giant monster boxing game included as a cool bonus.

(Also uh mumble mumble Meltwater 2e still in progress, no news, I'll make noise or whatever when that happens.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

WHEN DO WE GET YOUR GAME ABOUT MAKING BOYS KISS???

Seriously though, I thought the playtest showed promise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gutterdaughter posted:

The only thing worth caring about in board games this year is Kaiju Table Battles by my big sis Mabel Holland: a queer punk zine about love and monstrousness and love through shared monstrousness, and also there's like a giant monster boxing game included as a cool bonus.

(Also uh mumble mumble Meltwater 2e still in progress, no news, I'll make noise or whatever when that happens.)

Also read this https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/149425/designer-diary-kaiju-table-battles-or-queer-love-l

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is there a weird shortage of clear card sleeves going around? I can't seem to find Dragon Shield Classic Clears or Katana Clears.

I need to sleeve my new Nature Incarnate cards. :(

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

SettingSun posted:

Is there a weird shortage of clear card sleeves going around? I can't seem to find Dragon Shield Classic Clears or Katana Clears.

I've found specifically Ultra Pro Clear Matte cards to be hard to find for years now, just the occasional 50 pack here and there. I've had to switch to Gamegenic non-Matte Clear sleeves (the horror) because pretty much everyone (including Gamegenic) does matte on both sides of the sleeve, unlike Ultra Pro who does matte only on the front, so you can't mix and match the two without giving away information about which card is sleeved with which based on the back side.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Board game delivery day! Excited to get each of these to the table.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

El Fideo posted:

dream daddy the board game when

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

!Klams posted:

I'm SO jealous that you can get a group together for Guards of Atlantis, that all want to play it.

I found it impossible to find enough people committed to playing it, but, worse they'd actually bounce off it and hate it. You NEED a core group of 4,ideally 6, willing to play it like ten times. It's one of the best games I've ever played, but I'd never recommend anyone buy it because it just seems so unlikely to me that you'd ever get it going.

I see that complaint frequently and I don't entirely get it, maybe because I'm really lucky. My friends are a mix of medium-weight to heavy-weight eurogamers and the 8 that I've introduced GOAII have all clicked with it. The teach is fast and reasonably simple compared to any heavy eurogame, the variety of characters (I got them all, like the OCD stereotype that I am) makes them immediately excited after the intro quick game to find their preferred playstyle, and they immediately realize that the game has a ton of depth for mastery despite the relatively simply "hold five cards, plan to play four" rules.

The only complaint I've heard (and I think it's a fair one) is that the intro quick game team balance feels a little off as one side is an absolute bruiser murder squad and the other side requires a lot more finesse to win. The latter side tends to learn quickly that they will get SMASHED if they go toe-to-toe with the former, but usually not quickly enough that the first game isn't over in lopsided fashion in my various teaches.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

I see that complaint frequently and I don't entirely get it, maybe because I'm really lucky.

I think you might just be good at presenting games. There's definitely games that were presented to me poorly that I hated at first but eventually liked, and games that enjoyed more than maybe I would otherwise just because the person presenting them got excited.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Memnaelar posted:

I see that complaint frequently and I don't entirely get it, maybe because I'm really lucky.
I don't have 8 friends, let alone 8 board gamer-y friends. :negative:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Man I hate the algorithm that Boardgame Atlas uses. I saw Rebellion as one of the hot deals and that it was for $30 bucks, for a game that's usually closer to $100. gently caress yeah, that sounds amazing!

It's the loving Star Wars Deck Builder game.

It does the same thing for Imperial Assault, listing the tiny expansion packs as the main box's price. It's so all over the drat place.

I adored the old boardgameprices site, but since they got bought out and redirects to Atlas, it sucks. Is there a better site nowadays?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://www.boardgameoracle.com/

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Memnaelar posted:

I see that complaint frequently and I don't entirely get it, maybe because I'm really lucky. My friends are a mix of medium-weight to heavy-weight eurogamers

Yeah, I mean, most groups I know have a few people in them that aren't competitive. Obviously most games have a winner and points and stuff, but usually they're more of a social activity. I think GoA is much closer to an abstract, like chess, because it's totally deterministic; a skilled player will always beat a weaker player. I think that's a GOOD thing, but it's very offputting for lots of people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SettingSun posted:

I strongly recommend these. Incredible quality for the price, and you order by the kilo in your choice of sizes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/giochistarter/perfect-sleeves-wave-5

I think you've missed out on this wave, but they do sell the packs at retail for a bit more.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

El Fideo posted:

The playtest failed to be more than another cutesy samey card game, when what I wanted to make something that conveyed my sincere affection for the the history of Boys Love and for fujoshi--especially the microculture of queer women who used the BL magazines of the 80s and 90s to meet each other. So I scrapped it. Then my family suffered a number of tragedies that put a lot of my work on hold. But I do still have something in the works. Don't worry, I haven't given up on bringing weird queer romance to table games, but the design is mutating into a much stranger form in the blind darkness. I hope to finish it before I die.

I got other stuff in the tank, including a smaller game about grief (ha, surprise) that should come out in the near future.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

an actual dog posted:

I think you might just be good at presenting games. There's definitely games that were presented to me poorly that I hated at first but eventually liked, and games that enjoyed more than maybe I would otherwise just because the person presenting them got excited.

I just wish people would be less lovely about reacting to games they don't like the first time - i'd like to play Imperium more than once but one of my standard players called it Slow Dominion after one play and now that comes up every time and i guess i'll just throw it in the trash?

Illiterati was a hit, though, finally got that to the table last night.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

xiw posted:

I just wish people would be less lovely about reacting to games they don't like the first time - i'd like to play Imperium more than once but one of my standard players called it Slow Dominion after one play and now that comes up every time and i guess i'll just throw it in the trash?

This reminds me of a game league I learned of a few years ago that scheduled games: three plays to warm up and learn, followed by a "for real" scored game/mini tournament. Then the next game gets rotated in.

I love the idea, but they're a city away and I never really made it happen, then the pandemic popped off and I have no idea whether they are still a thing (or indeed, whether they even actually existed in the first place outside of being an idealized plan on a webpage)

I like the idea, though!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

xiw posted:

Illiterati was a hit, though, finally got that to the table last night.

My other half has developed a really bad habit of playing a game once or twice, deciding that I already figured out the optimal way to play and that there's therefore no reason for us to ever play again because it's "impossible for him to win"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RabidWeasel posted:

My other half has developed a really bad habit of playing a game once or twice, deciding that I already figured out the optimal way to play and that there's therefore no reason for us to ever play again because it's "impossible for him to win"

Hell. :smith:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

RabidWeasel posted:

lol what a whiny bitch, tell him to fix his skill issue

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PRADA SLUT posted:

lol what a whiny bitch, tell him to fix his skill issue

He's actually a decent player, but has a low tolerance to losing and takes longer to pick up new games than I do. We just approach games differently; he sees them as inherently competitive, I see them as a fun puzzle where planning your strategy in an interesting way is at least as much of the enjoyment as how well you score at the end. Being competitive all the time must get pretty stressful and I have a lot of empathy for the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to turn it off.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have you considered treating them like a toddler and letting them win a few games :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh, my partner is the same way. She'll enjoy playing games, but has a competitive side that flares up. She's fully aware of it and tried to tamp it down, but inevitably certain actions will get her frustrated - things that explicitly deny her points, for example, even though denying her X points is the exact same as me doing something to gain X points. She has tried to address this, at least. I think it's familial, since her sister is even worse to the point that she refuses to play board games because of the anxiety borne from wanting to win. And hearing stories of their father and the way he's also quite competitive (though only with Euchre), I see the connections.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Have you considered treating them like a toddler and letting them win a few games :v:
honestly the quality of being a good loser is so rare that i default to this strategy when i'm introducing pre-existing friends to games. If you don't do this, from their perspective you're teaching them how a specific complex ruleset works and then suplexing them, doing dives off the rope on them, etc.

Some people don't have this issue and happily get ground into pulp for a few games but of course they have this problem less overall because being that way makes you good a lot more quickly than needing to have your hand held through the road to competence.

Also I suspect that the 'board gamer' trait of wanting to learn how to get good at moving cardboard around to acquire victory points is actually kind of rare even inside of the hobby. A lot of people play a game as a social venue to have something to do that takes pressure off of small talk and lets you collectively focus on an activity instead. Others I know seem mostly ambivalent about winning or losing but instead just want to see how robust the rule set is by trying to push back on the design of the game as hard as possible to see if it breaks.

I noticed this especially in my retired dad's pickleball games. He's known for his mean serve that a lot of people can't handle. He wins a lot of games off of it despite the fact that he's a little slow-footed, and can't handle volleying quite so well. Pickleballers who presumably put money into playing pickleball, bought gear, went out to a pickleball court, and are also retired so have nothing else to do struggle to try to play with someone else, because they don't want to put the time into learning how to return his serve. He's on the spectrum so I think he's mostly blind to this phenomenon with the exception that he's proud of how good his serve is. My mom worries about it for him because she thinks he'll dry up the well of players who will play with him, but he seems happy to be feared, and there's enough pickle ball players that he has someone to play with most of the time anyway.

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is scrub mentality is real but climbing the mountain of getting punched in the face leads you to the frosty peak of enlightenment.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Another way to solve this problem is to never lose to another player by:

1) just being that good
2) playing co-op games

I bought Spirit Island

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Eraflure posted:

1) just being that good
2) playing co-op games

I bought Spirit Island

Firmly accepted the #2 camp

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Eraflure posted:

1) just being that good
2) playing co-op games

I bought Spirit Island

i smile evilly as i suggest we play against england 6 :unsmigghh:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Another option is to give yourself an 8 ounce whiskey handicap. Then you don't have to let anyone win, but also maybe aren't playing at your finest and still have a blast.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My wife and I have a hilarious dynamic.

I’m generally a bit of a sore loser, especially in games with a component of luck or randomness. I can lose a dozen games of chess in a row but gently caress me sideways if I lose a game of Catan because some motherfucker keeps rolling 10s and 11s. But if I win a game, I don’t get particularly excited about it.

On the other hand, my wife doesn’t give a poo poo at all if she loses. A quick shrug and that’s that. But oh man, if she wins a close game, everybody at the table gets to hear about it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Aggro posted:

My wife and I have a hilarious dynamic.

I’m generally a bit of a sore loser, especially in games with a component of luck or randomness. I can lose a dozen games of chess in a row but gently caress me sideways if I lose a game of Catan because some motherfucker keeps rolling 10s and 11s. But if I win a game, I don’t get particularly excited about it.

On the other hand, my wife doesn’t give a poo poo at all if she loses. A quick shrug and that’s that. But oh man, if she wins a close game, everybody at the table gets to hear about it.

That's so weird to me, I'm the total opposite where games of luck/chance can at least plausibly cover for my lack of intelligence (or focus, or interest, or whatever), games of pure skill are extremely brutal brain wrestling matches.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it’s only game. why you heff to be mad?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Some people don't have this issue and happily get ground into pulp for a few games but of course they have this problem less overall because being that way makes you good a lot more quickly than needing to have your hand held through the road to competence.

I think this isn't true as a broad statement. The people who don't mind being squashed flat are often also watching the opponent reasonably carefully, which is nearly double the learning: they learned stuff that didn't work as well (their moves) and the stuff that did (the skilled opponent's). It's not the losing that makes those people better per se. And if I give a new player the space in a game to make a suboptimal choice and attempt to recover, they learn how possible recovery is in that game, with that choice.

When I "let somebody win," I point out alternate moves if those moves are better in a way they'll understand. I also pursue boring baseline strategies (e.g. Big Money in Dominion) or outlandish/experimental ones, and I tell them which I am doing.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Pvt. Parts posted:

That's so weird to me, I'm the total opposite where games of luck/chance can at least plausibly cover for my lack of intelligence (or focus, or interest, or whatever), games of pure skill are extremely brutal brain wrestling matches.

Nah, if it’s just a skill thing, then I know that I can just get better.

Getting hosed by dice or card draws makes it feel like some vengeful god is conspiring to gently caress me. My wife’s family thinks that Gin Rummy is the height of entertainment, and I absolutely hate it.

Someone once recommended One Deck Dungeon as a great solitaire game and it took a a single game of rolling a half dozen ones during a critical encounter to realize that it was 100% not for me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I've definitely gotten salty about board games but I've convinced myself that's just part of me enjoying it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aggro posted:

Getting hosed by dice or card draws makes it feel like some vengeful god is conspiring to gently caress me. My wife’s family thinks that Gin Rummy is the height of entertainment, and I absolutely hate it.

Someone once recommended One Deck Dungeon as a great solitaire game and it took a a single game of rolling a half dozen ones during a critical encounter to realize that it was 100% not for me.

Yeah same. Getting absolutely steamrolled bothers me a lot less if it was because of skill (or at least player choice) than if it was just random bullshit. That applies to co-op games too; I like Pandemic well enough but Pandemic: The Cure is one of the biggest piles of poo poo I've ever played.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Aggro posted:

Nah, if it’s just a skill thing, then I know that I can just get better.

You can get better at games with a chance element too, but I think I know where you are coming from. Still, if RNG fucks me, all I can do is throw up my hands and say I hope it doesn't happen again. But getting outplayed in chess is unquestionable because it happened right there. RNG can be hid behind. This seems to be why many designers use it to ensure a game will be as "accessible" as possible. People don't like losing and being made to felt inferior (although there is definitely a lack of attention for how one lost rather than just the fact that they did alone).

MtG is perhaps the most prominent example of this for me, considering just how disgusting an MtG loss to RNG can be. The player on the short end of the stick is essentially not allowed to play the game. Yet that game is of course fabulously popular.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 11, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A big contributor in magic is that it's not just randomness, it's also hidden information. When your opponent is on the bad side of variance you don't actually get to see that (unless it's really extreme), so you walk away thinking that the win was all because of your skill.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

panko posted:

it’s only game. why you heff to be mad?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aggro posted:

Yeah, the helplessness can get really frustrating sometimes. I'm generally happy chilling and chucking some dice or w/e and not caring but occasionally a game will have the right combination of time investment, randomness, and lack of choice that really rubs me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pvt. Parts posted:

MtG is perhaps the most prominent example of this for me, considering just how disgusting an MtG loss to RNG can be. The player on the short hand of the stick is essentially not allowed to play the game. Yet that game is of course fabulously popular.

Being on the wrong side of a "control deck" or equivalent archetype in a game is just brutal when you don't have an answer for it (or you're not drawing the answer cards). Very much a negative player experience, and exactly the reason why conceding a match is in the rules.

Used to joke in X-Wing tournaments that getting paired with a hard counter was "losing the round in the list-building phase".