Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I spent a little while trying to figure out a way to phrase it, but gently caress it let's just let the inevitable happen

Cream pies are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I would pay a lot of money to just have an entire cake made of the Dairy Queen crunchy ice cream cake layer.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Pie is inherently superior to cake.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My milquetoast opinion: My being vegan shouldn't invalidate my opinion that meat is gross.

I wasn't like born a vegan. I'm the only one in my entire family, going back thousands of generations. I decided meat was gross and thus became a vegan.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

My milquetoast opinion: My being vegan shouldn't invalidate my opinion that meat is gross.

I wasn't like born a vegan. I'm the only one in my entire family, going back thousands of generations. I decided meat was gross and thus became a vegan.

Yeah I disliked meat long before I became a vegetarian. I was just forced to eat it by my parents

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

credburn posted:

My response to a vegan telling me meat is gross isn't "your opinion is invalid" it's "yeah, I figured, you're a vegan".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pastries are superior to both cakes and pies

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

credburn posted:

Who in the world cares enough about your opinion on meat to devote a single second of mind space to it, much less comment on it? Has that ever actually happened or is it an internet only thing?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Manager Hoyden posted:

Who in the world cares enough about your opinion on meat to devote a single second of mind space to it, much less comment on it? Has that ever actually happened or is it an internet only thing?

Tell me you aren't a vegan / vegetarian without telling me etc

People will absolutely and aggressively demand to know your ideological stance on meat

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People have some meat opinions and they get real defensive about them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I've even had like grown rear end professional men try to stand over me and drill me about my protein intake in the middle of the office cafeteria when I was but a tiny intern. I just eat a lot of legumes dude you don't need to be this aggressive. This doesn't affect my job performance

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Most meat is good but most offal is awful

Mmm mmm can't wait to chew a bitter, spongy, honeycomb-pattern flesh mat for three minutes. Oh or the poo poo tubes that smell like actual poo poo, gotta suck on those a while to really appreciate that slime/poo poo texture

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

Sorry, but I checked the records and it turns out you have an ancestor only 34 generations ago who was a picky eater that disliked and avoided meat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetarians are whatever, vegans are dangerously insane. Vegan protein powder tastes like absolute rear end, like potting soil mixed with cocoa powder. Absolutely disgusting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well don't eat vegan protein powder

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Vegetarians are whatever, vegans are dangerously insane. Vegan protein powder tastes like absolute rear end, like potting soil mixed with cocoa powder. Absolutely disgusting.

My trainer got me a giant bag of chocolate vegan protein powder for free bc he did some promotions for them. Literally the only way I can make it bearable is to bake it into muffins.

The unflavoured stuff is honestly preferable, I'll sneak it into like stir fry sauces and poo poo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gaius Marius posted:

I know you and I have never gotten along and had some pretty bad fights here on the forums but you are absolutely correct

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

More like oldgainsless

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It melts just like real cheese!

No it absolutely loving doesn't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gaius Marius posted:

dangerously insane

I am so dangerous fear my spinach and chickpeas

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You shouldn't eat other mammals.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm just going to leave my 'most pies aren't very good' grenade right here

Manager Hoyden posted:

Most meat is good but most offal is awful
Actually steak and kidney pies are extremely good.

Gripweed posted:

Why do you insist on putting the word "regular" in there? It's layers of ice cream and cake.
Presumably to differentiate it from an ice-cream cake which is just ice-cream. They're not being cryptic.

Ice-cream cake: made of ice-cream.
Cheesecake: made of cheese.
Fishcake: made of fish.
Potato cake: made of potato.
Regular cake: made of flour and eggs and stuff.

"Cake" is a versatile word, it turns out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cheesecake is not a cake

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

It melts just like real cheese!

No it absolutely loving doesn't.

I'm really glad that vegan cuisine is moving away from having to look and taste like meat and dairy products. Food can taste good even if there isn't a meat-based thing it's trying to mimic. You can spend a lot of money on "meat" that "bleeds" or "cheese" that "melts" but most of my vegan purchases just go to microwaveable patties, ketchup and nutritional yeast sprinkled over. The idea that my impossible burger burps out fake hemoglobin is not appealing; less appealing is the goo is made from beets which are so fuckin gross. Hth if I had to choose, I'd rather slurp cow's blood than beet juice.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

impossible burgers are good

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

I'm really glad that vegan cuisine is moving away from having to look and taste like meat and dairy products. Food can taste good even if there isn't a meat-based thing it's trying to mimic. You can spend a lot of money on "meat" that "bleeds" or "cheese" that "melts" but most of my vegan purchases just go to microwaveable patties, ketchup and nutritional yeast sprinkled over. The idea that my impossible burger burps out fake hemoglobin is not appealing; less appealing is the goo is made from beets which are so fuckin gross. Hth if I had to choose, I'd rather slurp cow's blood than beet juice.

I am of the opposite opinion: Beyond Meat tastes amazing and fixes all the problems I had with real meat (inconsistent texture, weird squidgy bits, raw can kill you so better overcook it)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Aramek posted:

Pie is inherently superior to cake.

I prefer Tau

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah I disliked meat long before I became a vegetarian. I was just forced to eat it by my parents

I respect this, but frequently have to clarify that the reason I don't want to eat meat isn't its taste - I recall a lot of it being really, really good!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I already watched a perfectly adequate movie about Robert Oppenheimer starring Paul Newman and Lieutenant Barclay. Now people expect me to get excited about another flick about this nerd? Piss off.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

hawowanlawow posted:

impossible burgers are good

Agree, but no one else in my family will touch them. Which is puzzling because I otherwise eat the most actual red meat of any of us. Beyond patties are also fine, but Impossible is a little better.

Edit: I used to think why eat fake meat when there are tons of other vegetarian options, but as I get older I've come around to hey sometimes I want a burger but I've had enough meat lately. Also, Costco often has mad deals on patties, so it can be cost effective too.

Tokelau All Star has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jul 11, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

every vegetarian burger is my friend
EXCEPT
that one at the gas station that gave me food poisoning

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're decent but the cost and lack of actual improvement over beef makes them very unappealing. The fake fried chicken patties are probably the closest to actual meat, but regardless I'd rather have some well done Tempeh, Tofu, or Seitan before any meat substitute. There are cultures that spent centuries making pressed bean curd palatable, we don't need to reinvent the wheel by injecting protein with fat globulals to make meatlikes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Impossible digests poorly for me, beyond doesnt

Neither is better than a black bean or falafel but I’ll eat the option that’s there when my friends take me out

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Agree, but no one else in my family will touch them. Which is puzzling because I otherwise eat the most actual red meat of any of us. Beyond patties are also fine, but Impossible is a little better.
I've tried both, and I'd prefer a salad roll to either. The black bean burger was probably the best of all the ones I've tried, but it was still not worth bothering with when you could just have a salad roll instead.

At best, they're kind of like meat but not good meat. Not meat I'd every bother eating, except to be polite (or avoid it going to waste).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I eat all sorts of meat, which I mention to provide context to this relatively unpopular opinion: Beyond sausage is really good. As in, I eat it regularly even though I also eat regular sausage.

If you've been avoiding meat alternatives like that because you're not a vegetarian or you think there's no point if it doesn't taste identical to meat, just try it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dirby posted:

Beyond sausage is really good. As in, I eat it regularly even though I also eat regular sausage.

If you've been avoiding meat alternatives like that because you're not a vegetarian or you think there's no point if it doesn't taste identical to meat, just try it.

It is very nice on the rare occasion when my fellow sconnies want a brat
Or chicagoans in want of a br@

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

but I’ll eat the option that’s there when my friends take me out

You can just say you've never had it, no need to lie.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If I’m going to have vegan replica meat I don’t want it to replicate chicken or beef, I want simulated bald eagle and human meat. Or why not unicorn?

I love all the meat substitutes I just wanna live the fantasy

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I went to a burger place once with a mixed crowd of vegetarians and meat eaters, it was my first time there so I wasn't familiar with their burgers and didn't have any expectations. I ordered a regular beef burger but when our order was brought out I was accidentally given someone else's impossible burger. I didn't realize until I was halfway through the burger that I wasn't eating beef and that was only because one of the vegetarians got her order a little late and realized right away that her order was wrong. It wasn't what I'd call an amazingly high quality hamburger but I didn't doubt for a second that I was eating actual meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I respect vegitarians/vegans and wish I didn't have a baby palette and could do the same. I've tried but I end up just eating beans and pasta constantly and in bigger amounts than usual.