Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

deep dish peat moss posted:

Halls of Torment was cool at first but once you unlock a bunch of metaprogression stuff and can easily clear maps it sucks. VS and all the games like it have a problem with massively over-scaling the player's power level and it makes them all boring as hell :( That's what made HoT so cool early on: it was actually difficult and you had to think while playing.

Yup, that's what everyone hates about the genre, becoming massively powerful and killing thousands of monsters a minute. Got it in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might want to take a look at Brotato if you haven't already. You can occasionally luck into becoming overpowered but generally it does a good job of keeping the player's power level roughly the same as the enemies all the way through a run. There's no metaprogression outside of increasing the item pool with new unlocks so you don't need to worry about power creep like in VS.

I've accepted that I just don't like the genre (outside of Halls of Torment before unlocking metaprogression stuff) but I've played Brotato and did not click with it at all

I've played a lot of games in the genre and Halls of the Torment is the only one that felt like it had any interactive gameplay at all, it just sucks that the metaprog strips it away.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The thing Vampire Survivors nailed to me is that while you do become insanely powerful to the point that literally nothing can come within 5 feet of you without being obliterated, by the end the encroaching horde still manages to make you feel like you're just barely holding on (and sometimes you are, judging by the number of runs I've lost in the last 5 seconds). Your power level skyrockets but so does the feeling of peril. It helps it feel distinct from the idle/clicker genre.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Halls of Torment was cool at first but once you unlock a bunch of metaprogression stuff and can easily clear maps it sucks. VS and all the games like it have a problem with massively over-scaling the player's power level and it makes them all boring as hell :( That's what made HoT so cool early on: it was actually difficult and you had to think while playing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGoNjcodfls&t=31s

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is Nioh 2's coop "proper" coop or souls-like summons only?

it has both modes. in the proper coop mode you group up in a lobby and select a mission to do (you will need to complete it in one session), and everyone gets full rewards, loot and story credit for completing it. you have an "assist gauge" which loses a chunk when someone dies and then more over time the longer you take to revive them, so you can have 3-6 deaths without actually wiping depending how quick you are about revives. also, if you run out of assist gauge on the mission boss but someone is still alive, the game lets them try to finish the fight alone and be a hero. it's way more forgiving and fun than singleplayer.

There are a few missions that will split you up into a short singleplayer section afterward for story purposes to talk to some NPCs, and there are a small number of singleplayer-only missions, but almost all are just short 1v1 duels and only one of those is a required story mission, so you can just do them on your own time. there's a couple weird interruptions like that but you can play it 99% as a dedicated multiplayer game and it's great. The netcode is fantastic and after 150 hours of multiplayer I never felt I got hit or otherwise screwed over by the netcode once.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

When VS first came out I found it was a good way of forcing myself to sleep, like a textbook. When it got to 5 minutes left I would start nodding off and press spacebar when I heard it asking me to choose between food and money. In the morning I'd wake up and either I won or I have to press space and win in a couple of minutes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You no longer have to press spacebar.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ok, I'm in need a new shooter-ish game from the current sale. Pick 1.

Evil West
System Shock Remake
WH40K Boltgun
Shadow Warrior Trilogy (ok, technically 3 games)

Bolded is what I'm currently leaning towards. I recognize all of the options are pretty disparate (especially SSR) and Evil West isn't really a shooter, but it has similar gameplay so I'm lumping it in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Volte posted:

The thing Vampire Survivors nailed to me is that while you do become insanely powerful to the point that literally nothing can come within 5 feet of you without being obliterated, by the end the encroaching horde still manages to make you feel like you're just barely holding on (and sometimes you are, judging by the number of runs I've lost in the last 5 seconds). Your power level skyrockets but so does the feeling of peril. It helps it feel distinct from the idle/clicker genre.

i agree in theory but in practice i find it just takes too long with too few decisions in between those moments. you regularly hit "you're a god" status 8-12 minutes and it isnt until 25 minutes or so that the insane pressure starts kicking in. and often in those first ~10 minutes you aren't really in danger, you just have to actually dodge stuff.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright thread, haven't seen one of these in a few pages so do ya thing, talk me into/out of stuff or just chime in, I Just like reading people's opinions.

Did RE8 ever get the 3rd person mode? How close is it to something like RE4? Haven't played an RE since 5. (RE4make is super expensive in my region so that's out of the list for now).

I know there's like 3 VS-likes in there, read some HoT chatter in the last few pages but feel free to get into a slapfight about which one to keep :can: (Loved VS, put a couple hours into Boneraiser but didn't quite click with it).

Azran posted:

Nah it's proper coop, you can do the entirety of it together and it loving rocks. Nioh 2 is IMO the premier Souls-like coop experience

Owl Inspector posted:

[More Nioh 2 coop info.]
Sounds good, I'll try to convince some friends to give it a try. Thanks both!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Signalis ruled

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright thread, haven't seen one of these in a few pages so do ya thing, talk me into/out of stuff or just chime in, I Just like reading people's opinions.

Almost everything I just said about nioh 2 also applies to stranger of paradise. Great action game to play with a friend, very complex with a lot of depth and classes to try but a little more approachable than nioh 2. just with a few unfortunate singleplayer-only portions here and there (including the last boss of NG, annoyingly).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anti-Hero posted:

Evil West
System Shock Remake
WH40K Boltgun

Bolded is what I'm currently leaning towards. I recognize all of the options are pretty disparate (especially SSR) and Evil West isn't really a shooter, but it has similar gameplay so I'm lumping it in.

System shock is great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Did RE8 ever get the 3rd person mode? How close is it to something like RE4? Haven't played an RE since 5. (RE4make is super expensive in my region so that's out of the list for now).

I know there's like 3 VS-likes in there, read some HoT chatter in the last few pages but feel free to get into a slapfight about which one to keep :can: (Loved VS, put a couple hours into Boneraiser but didn't quite click with it).

Overload owns

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Anti-Hero posted:

Evil West
System Shock Remake
WH40K Boltgun

System shock is definitely not a shooter

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I thought Kena: Bridge of Spirits had pretty dull characters and plot, and the combat system just really didn't feel all that great. Maybe hold out for a deeper discount unless you're really excited to play it right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm playing helldivers again with some friends over parsec and it was like $6 for all the dlc. Game's a riot and the dlc is just a bunch of fun toys to gently caress around and kill each other accidentally with. I am really skeptical of the 3d transition for the sequel but I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sebmojo posted:

System shock is great.

I'm very interested in it but I know it's an im-sim so I might strike it from the list. Though I recognize there isn't any sort of leveling system or RPG skill tree, so you still have to shoot enemies.

Jarvisi posted:

See above! If we boot that off, how do we feel about the others?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I bounced off Helldivers hard. A friend wanted me to play it with him and I was just overwhelmed with lore and online mechanics and menus...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Edmond Dantes posted:

Overload is wonderful purchase; it is exactly what you want if you've got nostalgia for Descent but maybe don't want to revisit software from 30 years ago. It's pretty, has 6 DoF movement and maps with are gnarly but avoid being a maze, reasons to use and love all the different guns, and a pseudo-plot and upgrade system for your modern tastes as you advance through the campaign. It also has map packs! (which are unvoiced, but that's ok)

Basically, if you wanna play modern descent, it's worth full retail.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Edmond Dantes posted:

From what I understand (in my humble opinion), the games to prioritize above all else are Stranger of Paradise, ULTRAKILL, Overload, and SIGNALIS. From there, you've got a choice of flavor of Survivors-like as you say with whatever different mechanic you like the most, and the rest fall under more mediocre/questionable quality standards (yes, I do feel like Village was very mediocre, being both not a good classic survival horror nor a good action horror shooter).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Serephina posted:

Overload is wonderful purchase; it is exactly what you want if you've got nostalgia for Descent but maybe don't want to revisit software from 30 years ago. It's pretty, has 6 DoF movement and maps with are gnarly but avoid being a maze, reasons to use and love all the different guns, and a pseudo-plot and upgrade system for your modern tastes as you advance through the campaign. It also has map packs! (which are unvoiced, but that's ok)

Basically, if you wanna play modern descent, it's worth full retail.

Overload is a perfect execution of revisiting nostalgia. Loved it. It was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it rocks, shame it didn't sell well. It came out just before the retro-shooter boom, it feels like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jarvisi posted:

It's shooterish, but yeah it's more puzzle story with some shooting along the way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Stranger of Paradise is really fun, especially if you can co-op it. A lot of depth to the combat system.

ULTRAKILL has a pretty high skill floor but you can do absolutely amazing stuff in it once you get the controls.

Overload is an underrated gem.

SIGNALIS is a very good oldschool survival horror experience and short enough not to make the constant keyhunting overstay its welcome.

Kena only really has its graphics going for it, the combat is frustrating, story is boring and platforming just there. Did not finish that one.

RE: Village is great and until the RE4make came out probably the closest you could get to another RE4. If you haven't, you should really play RE7 before it though.

e: Regarding the System Shock conversation, I'd say it's closest to an oldschool dungeon crawler. You're thrust into an extremely hostile environment, given very little guidance on what to do and you power up by exploring new areas. Fantastic game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Edmond Dantes posted:

P sure they're all good OP so that won't narrow it down.

Signalis is the closest you'll get to a new silent hill that doesn't suck so that's the one that stands out to me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kena and INFRA would be something I'd consider dropping. Signalis is GOAT.

sad question
May 30, 2020

If you like exploring, environmental puzzles and reading documents you can't go wrong with Infra.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anti-Hero posted:

Evil West
System Shock Remake
WH40K Boltgun

Boltgun! You have a button to praise the god emperor of mankind!!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah, Boltgun is the only game on that list with a dedicated "I AM HATE INCARNATE" button so..

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SSR is incredibly faithful to the original System Shock it's wild

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well, I've spent a little more time with Battlebit, and I think I have a verdict: the hands should have just a few more polygons.

I don't mind the low-poly look too much, but the F L E S H C U B E S interacting with the higher-poly guns is distracting.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Bright Memory Infinite is cool but extremely short. 2-3 hours for a playthrough.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Started Euro Truck Sim, did the first mission, fired up the next. I am not sure why I thought a truck sim would be short 10-15 minutes trips, not 2h30min cross-country hauls.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

Evil West
System Shock Remake
WH40K Boltgun

Evil West owns. felt like a spiritual sequel to God Hand

Edmond Dantes posted:

ULTRAKILL and SIGNALIS are the standouts here but I also think that Soulstone Survivors is a ton of fun too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

faantastic posted:

Started Euro Truck Sim, did the first mission, fired up the next. I am not sure why I thought a truck sim would be short 10-15 minutes trips, not 2h30min cross-country hauls.

You can choose shorter jobs if you want but the longer ones are where the money is. Of course it’s fake money so just do what’s fun really

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Edmond Dantes posted:

It did but it's a DLC iirc. I never really played any RE games to any extent before trying RE4 Remake this year and playing through it three times in a row, so I wanted more, I watched an LP of RE7 at some point (rip SBFP) so I picked up RE8. I did not love it but did finish it. I thought the weapons and hit feedback was pretty poor, the environments weren't that fun to explore (except for the last one which was cool), and I never got the sense that the main character was ever in any sort of actual trouble because it always works out or can shrug off any horrendous injuries sustained immediately after it happens. I think it's unfair to play right after RE4 Remake because that was one of the best games I think I've ever played but RE8 really didn't do it for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

faantastic posted:

That's at 1:19 scale from real life, even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Stranger of Paradise is incredible and literally the only Final Fantasy game that managed to keep me interested with it's story (the gameplay is incredibly too).

Signalis is also incredible and is the only horror game I ever enjoyed.