Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 24-27, 1993)

The art in this strip. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pencilhands posted:

Would anyone be interested in a thread solely for discussing mary worth? is that allowed?
I'd participate.

What does that have to do with "doomscrolling"?

Julet Esqu posted:

I read that and thought, "Dudly Ford, but isn't that..." And the answer is yes! Yes he is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9f94S5FLMk
I love that video. :haw:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns, pardon the tiny Sunday.

I was going to be smug because I thought I recognized a tiny New York Opera House, but a lot of the specifics don't line up. I'm pretty sure it's some famous classical music venue for the joke to work, but I don't know which one.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

boltar boltar boltar BOLTAR BOLTAR BOLTAR BOLTAR

"We have Boltar at home"

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 09, 1958)

Mr. Squishy posted:

I was going to be smug because I thought I recognized a tiny New York Opera House, but a lot of the specifics don't line up. I'm pretty sure it's some famous classical music venue for the joke to work, but I don't know which one.

It might be the ballet theater: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Koch_Theater

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ah, you reminded me of the Lincoln Center. Visiting there in google maps, I think it's on the other side. Looks like the David Geffen Hall, home of the New York Philarmonic. It's missing an advertisement on the corner, but everything else lines up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Murdstone posted:

I would probably give it a chance. CK archive goes back to October 5 1998 right now.

I could be fun if we could track down things like Wilbur's first appearance or stuff like that.

Or you could just post that here too. Newspaper Spider-Man has a thread but now that there aren't new ones being made it's only a few of us still reading old ones.

Edit: Just look at how indignant she is in that last panel. I do miss Joe Giella's Mary Worth. :lol:

Wilbur's first appearance was in 1993, unfortunately.

quote:

Mary Worth

"What? Oh, no, no he's white. But anyways he's...hello? Hello?"
She'll have better luck posting that on Nextdoor

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 09, 1958)

Three weeks in the Hollywood wilderness. Look at those smooth cheeks and that perfect hair.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

someone awful. posted:

right? it's all been pretty straightforward. the resort that they hastily and cheaply booked was actually a scam, so they found the first motel they could and rented rooms there, and it's also utterly poo poo because this place isn't really a tourist attraction

The Forth’s FyreFest

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/10/03

Brenda Starr 4/30 - 5/2/51

Smokey Stover 9/18/55

Everyday Movies 8/4/36

"It burns me up to think of all this heat going to waste and us having to pay for it in the winter."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/27-29/41

for non-cursive readers:

Dear Prudence:

I'm madly in love with John -- he is tall and handsome and has the most beautiful black wavy hair ... He says he loves me but he keeps dating all my girl friends ... I always intend to break off with him but when we're together and I run my fingers thru his black wavy hair I forgive him. What shall I do? -- Blue Bonnie

Dear Prudence,

My wife and I were happily married until last March... then like the proverbial March lion -- she blew in ... you guessed it ... my Mother-in-law. But that isn't all ... she also brought along my wife's Uncle "Willie." They've been with us ever since and slow but sure they're breaking up my home. How can I make them leave? -- Percy Penny

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How can Scarlett keep topping itself?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lmfao Scarlet owns.

Brenda Starr is usually what I'd call uhhh inconsistent but I want to see more adventures of this absurdly tough baby. I hope B Bomb grows up to be a Popeye style roaming force of nature. The strip runs that long, right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
goddamn old school Mary would have poo poo with a dog fighting ring. She'd make one call and everyone (minus Wilbur because he mistook his phone for a sandwich and needs something new to eat) would Calvary the gently caress up and be ready to free some dogs and bust some heads.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/27-29/41

Obligatory weird synchronicity.

Bizarro

Checks out. :hmmyes:

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 29, 1935)

Peanuts (July 13, 1976)

The New Adventures of Mopey Pete

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 13, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (April 9-11, 1942)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Yeah...the more this goes on, the more it feels like introducing new main characters. I'm not sure how that will work when the strip's name is Sally Forth...

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah...the more this goes on, the more it feels like introducing new main characters. I'm not sure how that will work when the strip's name is Sally Forth...

The only danger of a shift in main characters is if Ces jumps to the “Hil’s 20-something adventures” like you feel he wants to

An Taoiseach fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 11, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Dear Prudence,

My wife and I were happily married until last March... then like the proverbial March lion -- she blew in ... you guessed it ... my Mother-in-law. But that isn't all ... she also brought along my wife's Uncle "Willie." They've been with us ever since and slow but sure they're breaking up my home. How can I make them leave? -- Percy Penny

What an absurd way to use her invisibility to help with this job. I love this strip.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nah. The normal family is going to get creeped out by how strange the Forth's home and life is and leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave early in order to give the Forths a way out of their bad vacation subplot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Brenda Starr is usually what I'd call uhhh inconsistent but I want to see more adventures of this absurdly tough baby. I hope B Bomb grows up to be a Popeye style roaming force of nature. The strip runs that long, right?

From what I can see, there are some more B-Bomb stories over the rest of the 50s/early 60s, but she drops out of the strip after 1964, sadly. Still, that's quite a while off...

I dunno. To me it just feels like an opportunity for Ces to go back through all his various running gags -- the evil doll, the Forths' neighbors hating them, Hil's friends' telepathy and future life, etc. -- with a fresh set of characters.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I don't think enough notice was paid to how incredibly stupid Bronc's plan here was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I should've known when Funky Winkerbean ended that Batiuk would just move everything not immediately Lisa-adjacent to Crankshaft and make that FW2.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 11, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Selachian posted:

I dunno. To me it just feels like an opportunity for Ces to go back through all his various running gags -- the evil doll, the Forths' neighbors hating them, Hil's friends' telepathy and future life, etc. -- with a fresh set of characters.

It's got a little undercurrent of "no, really, the Forths aren't totally psychotic, some of this weird poo poo is real" too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Instead of giving useful advice that would help the readers in general, Scarlett helps this specific person while making her column useless for everyone else. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Something that belongs here was just released: Part 1 of "How The Dilbert Guy Lost His Mind" on today's Behind The Bastards, with special guest Randy Milholland.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Selachian posted:

From what I can see, there are some more B-Bomb stories over the rest of the 50s/early 60s, but she drops out of the strip after 1964, sadly. Still, that's quite a while off...

Awww. Ah well, at least we'll see more of this actually likeable scamp.

Jucika "132 - Jucika And The Autumn Foliage"

Cold War Funnies.

"133 - Jucika And The Construction Site"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Careful, a team of workmen coming in to change the strip's title is totally within its sense of humor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Something that belongs here was just released: Part 1 of "How The Dilbert Guy Lost His Mind" on today's Behind The Bastards, with special guest Randy Milholland.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet so it may come up, but something that just occurred to me today about how he got past my radar for so long is that writing sarcastic "I am so smart here's a bunch of nonsense" books was Dave Barry's shtick and I just assumed Scott Adams was doing a similar joke.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bruceski posted:

Haven't listened to the podcast yet so it may come up, but something that just occurred to me today about how he got past my radar for so long is that writing sarcastic "I am so smart here's a bunch of nonsense" books was Dave Barry's shtick and I just assumed Scott Adams was doing a similar joke.

I read a lot of Dave Barry as a kid and if you are about 12 it's pretty OK and harmless. I'm pretty sure Barry was never serious about any of his bizarre stories, and while I can't swear that he didn't have some problematic viewpoints, he didn't seem outright crazy. ED: According to Wiki, he's libertarian, but those might have also been joke campaigns, so *does see-saw motion with hand* eeeh?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dave Barry farted and laughed about it

Scott Adams farted, and huffed whole great lungfuls of it, and stored it in jars to huff more later

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Yes! Just in time for a 5 hour car trip!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also he went on long deranged fart-fueled rants about how anyone who would not farthuff is a brainless sheepson

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I read a lot of Dave Barry as a kid and if you are about 12 it's pretty OK and harmless. I'm pretty sure Barry was never serious about any of his bizarre stories, and while I can't swear that he didn't have some problematic viewpoints, he didn't seem outright crazy. ED: According to Wiki, he's libertarian, but those might have also been joke campaigns, so *does see-saw motion with hand* eeeh?

That's what I mean, yeah, Barry's nonsense in his books (the one that comes to mind is a bunch of made-up Americana stuff presented as fact from an "expert") was part of the jokes and I read Adams's "I am so much better than my co-workers" stuff in a similar vein because I got into them at the same time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

Lmfao Scarlet owns.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I can't stand Baby B-Bomb.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

We don't get to see the arrest? This sucks.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

You know what? Here's a few old Mary Worths. No guarantee I'll continue posting them.

Goddammit 1998 Mary Worth hooked me.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/22-24/51

That last panel is a horrible pun on "Massa's in De Cold, Cold Ground," one of Stephen Foster's sentimentally racist songs that used to be considered classic Americana until someone got around to reading the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2GvR1tAces

Archie 9/18-20/47

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Numerous tips” means Mary didn’t even play a decisive role in busting that guy? Is that other dog dead? Do we even get to see the dogs being rescued?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wilbur was a communist all along??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin