Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

How did you feel about that stupid Spec OPs The Line game people were overpraising over for how deep it was because you have to fend off an attack from generic middle easterners and then the game is like "ACTUALLY THOSE WERE ALL CIVILIANS YOU SICK gently caress! I BET YOU FEEL LIKE A BIG PIECE OF poo poo NOW!"

And then people brought up the only criticism "You literally made a game where you can't not use white phosphorous against civilians and then bitched us out for it."

And the devs were like "Ahhh you could have walked away at any time, so uh, it's still a deep statement! Or something! Just don't play through the game you bought for 60$!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i was really confused when i found out that so many people were self inserting as the insane delta force soldier guy and felt personally attacked when the character does war crimes

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

turn off the TV posted:

i was really confused when i found out that so many people were self inserting as the insane delta force soldier guy and felt personally attacked when the character does war crimes

i think the fact you have to actively do it makes it bother people more but i wonder how people would react if it just happened in a cutscene without player input

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

turn off the TV posted:

everyone sees themselves as a bioware protagonist self insert, so yes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

People whining about having a plot element happen in a linear fps, a genre renowned for its dedication to absolute freedom of choice lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Shame the already pretty trash BG IP is being run into the ground by a collection of Scandinavian beast loving freaks who think humor peaked with Monty python
they're belgian, you racist

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

i thought that part was so cool cause CoD at the time trained you to click on the inflared people like shooting from the AC-130, so when you get to that part in spec ops the line its just second nature to push button on glowing dots of people.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

spec-ops: the line ruled i played it all in one sitting.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

everyone sees themselves as a bioware protagonist self insert, so yes

I play all games as an elder god one level of reality above the poor fools whose bodies I am puppeteering

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

it sucks that claymores are so bad on certain maps. tensa town is the funniest poo poo ever but idk if I've ever gotten a single kill on frugis

its a nice gameplay style, chill, and ur a spawn point for ur team usually.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

oof I looked up the Spec Ops developer to check something and saw that the only game they've made in the last decade was that extraction shooter that just shut down

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grey Fox posted:

oof I looked up the Spec Ops developer to check something and saw that the only game they've made in the last decade was that extraction shooter that just shut down

lol yep

spec ops: the line was good though

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I play all games as an elder god one level of reality above the poor fools whose bodies I am puppeteering

Ah the XCOM the bureau style of play

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

robot elden ring

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sekirobots

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

punished milkman posted:

you should wait for a sale then

for me, this is probably going to be the first final fantasy game i actually manage to finish. Because it’s good

just finished it, probably going to end up game of the year for me. it isn’t perfect and the combat will understandably turn off a lot of people, but god drat it takes some big swings and lands almost all of them. incredible game

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Grey Fox posted:

i don't know if any of the spec ops people still work there even, a couple spec ops devs did a game about a german ww2 resistance group. it was kinda going for a This War of Mine thing i think but it wasn't very fun to play

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SomethingBeautiful posted:

i don't know if any of the spec ops people still work there even, a couple spec ops devs did a game about a german ww2 resistance group. it was kinda going for a This War of Mine thing i think but it wasn't very fun to play

yea i think its one of those that's pretty hollowed out and was considered a financial bomb at the time, exists mostly in name only now

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

battlebits time?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

they're belgian, you racist

im sorry for them

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SomethingBeautiful posted:

i think the fact you have to actively do it makes it bother people more but i wonder how people would react if it just happened in a cutscene without player input

yeah i prefer it if it was more subtle to mock libs more lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lpzie posted:

battlebits time?

Mrs Columbo loves battlebits, can't put it down you see. Now me? I'm a TTRPG guy

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I like bethesda games

I like all games. Please send more games

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjXz_VCxog

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

evilmiera posted:

I like all games. Please send more games

even problematic games? hm

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
HELP! I was linked a video about a Street Fighter 6 tournament and now all of my youtube recommendations are SF6 videos and the women are wearing nothing but underwear??? What is going ON

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

HELP! I was linked a video about a Street Fighter 6 tournament and now all of my youtube recommendations are SF6 videos and the women are wearing nothing but underwear??? What is going ON

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Saved my v-bucks and finally picked up the lil Whip skin

Unlocked the poison dart frog backbling and should unlock the cool dragonfly glider in the next few days. Haven't had a lot of time to play duos or group. Just a couple solos and team rumble.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

I did the ffxvi demo and idk, the gradual transition from pixel-sprite / low poly turn based party crpg of my youth to slick anime cgi single character arpg has been weird and off-putting to me.

I want to like it but if the rest of the game is 20 minute cutscenes followed by 5 minutes of arpg button mashing in a small circular arena maybe I should wait for a sale.

whoever called it Devil May Clive got it imo. it feels fun zipping around doing chain dodges and stuff but that's kinda not why I wanted a ff game

If you want a good, fairly recent pixel RPG, I recommend Chained Echoes. I played it recently and really enjoyed it. Fairly well written, lots of twists and turns, combat system was interesting, reminded me strongly of Chrono Trigger (in a good way).

Right now I'm going through the FFX remaster, the early part of the game has a much higher cutscene:gameplay ratio than I remember. The voice acting is actually less cringe than I thought the first time, though??? I think knowing the twist makes the stulted delivery of a lot of the cast make more sense. None of them want to actually admit whats going on, in general, but especially around Tidus, who genuinely doesn't know. So they pick their words super carefully so nobody has to admit that they're the delivery crew for a human sacrifice.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

oh poo poo I'm wrong about this because Steam put the list out of order, there was a F2P space battleship shooter that came out in 2018.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

here is my pixel rpg of choice

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637730/Crystal_Project/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:ohdear:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Looks interesting

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

oh neat, gonna try the demo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

huh. concept seems to be "ff5 in minecraft world" which is a cool idea

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are some grind issues but settings in the game to basically tune it to as you want.

The classes are neat and you sorta get a cross class system going on where mastering other classes helps your primary.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

love how people still get pissed at the fact that there is no “don’t be a war criminal” button in the game lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Doing the war crimes is immersive

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would simply enlist in the United States military and invade a middle eastern country while never being a party to any war crimes, seems like it would be pretty easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is