Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

And sadly consigned to the dustbin of history was Beware the Batman which wasn't a bad little show, even if it made his sidekick Katana.

Did she have his back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Did she have his back?

I would advise not being [TOUCHED BY THE FLAT OF HER BLADE WHICH IS WHAT SHE USES].

(But seriously, nah, they didn't do anything with Soultaker.)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Beware the Batman was interesting because it focused on lesser known villains instead of the usual cast, like having Katana as the sidekick instead of Robin. For better or for worse.

Joker never appeared in the show, it looked like they were starting to set up Two Face with Harvey Dent appearing a few times, but the show ended before that came to anything.
You had Magpie instead of Catwoman as the thief. Professor Pyg, who was an eco terrorist rather than a murderer. A few villains you normally don't see outside the comics.

I appreciate that it tried something different, but it's easy to see why it was cancelled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really like Beware the Batman because they did try something different.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked Beware the Batman, I thought it did a lot of fun stuff not using the big name villains for the most part. I don't think it was as solid as GLtAS, but they both deserved more episodes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

I really liked Beware the Batman, I thought it did a lot of fun stuff not using the big name villains for the most part. I don't think it was as solid as GLtAS, but they both deserved more episodes.

Yeah, I think both got caught up in that early CN purge of any show not laser targeted at what they thought was their target 8-13 demo.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
Watching the last season of Titans and loling at the passcode to the super secret bad guy lair is 8008.

(The rest of the season has been rather confusing tbh but I liked that bit)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

howe_sam posted:

I just realized how similar the recent Secret Invasion mini is to the show. You've got good Skrulls working in secret for Our Heroes and a rogue element of bad Skrulls trying to take over the planet. The main difference is one was written by Ryan North and the other....isn't.

I'd argue that the art was also better. That comic ruled. Maria Hill was such a hardass.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Regarding this week's SI: What the gently caress was the point of that plan? There isn't going to be a single Russian corpse on that battlefield, but it's going to be absolutely littered with Skrulls. Either the writing's about to reach a new pit of stupidity, or the entire false flag operation is completely blown and Fury's conspiracy theories have all been vindicated.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding this week's SI: What the gently caress was the point of that plan? There isn't going to be a single Russian corpse on that battlefield, but it's going to be absolutely littered with Skrulls. Either the writing's about to reach a new pit of stupidity, or the entire false flag operation is completely blown and Fury's conspiracy theories have all been vindicated.

Gravik is very confident.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

CapnAndy posted:

Fascist loons tent to be short-sighted.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Secret Invasion continues to not be weird enough for my liking. It really feels like they're just doing a generic spy thriller TV show with a few splashes of Marvel paint instead of something distinct unto itself. I don't even necessarily need this to be armies of Super Skrulls clashing with the Avengers, but it doesn't even have any classic high adventure Fury spyguy vibes. More James Bond and less 24 please.

It's not unwatchable or anything, but I'd easily put it at the bottom of all the Disney+ Marvel TV projects.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't mind the overall plot of Secret Invasion but it really should have just been a movie. Every episode is the same.

"We have to stop Gravik"
"Yes we do"
"Oh no he was on to us due to a secret Skrull"
"Oh no there was a shocking death or reveal"
"What do we do know"
"Credits roll"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The reported budget for Secret invasion is over $200 million too

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr Hootington posted:

The reported budget for Secret invasion is over $200 million too

Part of that is probably highly inflated. That figure comes from the form they had to file with the British government for a tax break. The tax break is for 25% of all expenses spent in-country. They have a strong incentive to use Hollywood accounting to make the costs as high as they can possibly be on paper without committing outright fraud. Marvel Studios paying Pinewood Studios (owned by Disney) a huge amount of money to film there and do post-production work is technically an expense, but an enormous amount of that money is essentially going back into the company and most of the amount that they aren't is going to taxes or staff they would be paying anyway.

I agree with most people that the show is not that bad, but is extremely "meh" and would have made more sense as a movie.

They show has a lot of 9/10 ideas that have been executed at a 4/10 level.

It's still worth watching and I think the acting is generally great, but most of the 4/10 stuff comes from the writing execution.

- The reimagining of the SuperSkrull Powers from Fantastic 4 abilities to powers scavenged from parts of dead MCU characters is a very cool idea.

- The transition of lady Skrull to Rhodey and the code-switching Fury does when talking to Rhodey are great character flairs.

- Freeman and Rhodey being Skrulls the whole time were good choices because they had been around forever, but were under the radar enough to not be your first guess.

- Focusing on Sam Jackson and how the blip destroyed Fury/what Fury does when his Superhero squad, alien spy network, government access, and friends are all taken away from him and he has to just rely on himself and trust people is a creative narrative hook.

Are all extremely good concepts and creative ideas, but they have not been executed well or explored much (so far).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- The reimagining of the SuperSkrull Powers from Fantastic 4 abilities to powers scavenged from parts of dead MCU characters is a very cool idea.

I like how it still kind of tracks, too.

Groot= Reed
Extremis=Human Torch
Cull= Thing

Frost beast doesn't really seem like it'll translate to Sue but 3 out of 4 ain't bad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Opopanax posted:

I like how it still kind of tracks, too.

Groot= Reed
Extremis=Human Torch
Cull= Thing

Frost beast doesn't really seem like it'll translate to Sue but 3 out of 4 ain't bad

I'm guessing Frost Beast will be "ice shields" instead of "force shields."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'll only accept K'lirt as the true Super Skrull

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is a really lovely thing to do now that we know it's not for tax breaks, it's just to avoid paying workers what they're due
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679999512755011584
DiscussingFilm

Ariela Barer says ‘RUNAWAYS’ was removed for tax write-off without any warning to the cast and resulted in loss of residuals.

They add Iger’s comments were disappointing as “it doesn’t feel great to read that your labor is not appreciated.”

(Source: https://hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/actors-strike-new-york-sag-aftra-ai-residuals-1235536773/ )

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Assepoester posted:

This is a really lovely thing to do now that we know it's not for tax breaks, it's just to avoid paying workers what they're due
DiscussingFilm

Ariela Barer says ‘RUNAWAYS’ was removed for tax write-off without any warning to the cast and resulted in loss of residuals.

They add Iger’s comments were disappointing as “it doesn’t feel great to read that your labor is not appreciated.”

(Source: https://hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/actors-strike-new-york-sag-aftra-ai-residuals-1235536773/ )

And poo poo like this is why people (rightfully) feel justified in pirating

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pirating is what we should all do and SA should let us talk about it (no linking)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Secret Invasion continues to not be weird enough for my liking. It really feels like they're just doing a generic spy thriller TV show with a few splashes of Marvel paint instead of something distinct unto itself. I don't even necessarily need this to be armies of Super Skrulls clashing with the Avengers, but it doesn't even have any classic high adventure Fury spyguy vibes. More James Bond and less 24 please.

It's not unwatchable or anything, but I'd easily put it at the bottom of all the Disney+ Marvel TV projects.

Yeah, Sam Jackson kind of old now and doesn't do the same diet and exercise poo poo the various actors named Chris do for Marvel films, and I understand they don't like showing smoking on television at all now, and especially not for franchises that are popular with children, but if you're making a show starring Nick Fury, you should have something like this for it, maybe just wearing his shirt and trench coat and not smoking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Marvel Studios paying Pinewood Studios (owned by Disney)

Pinewood is not owned by Disney. Disney simply has a ten-year lease at much of the studio space, which began three years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Assepoester posted:

DiscussingFilm

That sucks. Weird that Cloak & Dagger's still on there given it's also from around that same time (albeit a much better show at least in my opinion, but something tells me the people aren't judging by quality when they decided what shows to pull the plug on. I guess it's cheaper, residualswise?).

Guess I'll try a rewatch while it's still on there (hopefully given they just added it here in the UK it's not going to get yanked away immediately).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One way to push through the strike

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

One way to push through the strike

CBS did the same thing during the shutdown during the early days of the pandemic, airing Star Trek Discovery, I believe.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Another fun episode of Superman today on Max. Pretty adorable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Joe Fisto posted:

Another fun episode of Superman today on Max. Pretty adorable.
How come you keep getting here one day before me to talk about My Adventures With Superman and posting what I want to????

Anyway, yeah, show remains adorable and great. I really love the decision to start with an immature Superman; it's letting them challenge him with stuff that experienced Superman would clown in about thirty seconds, and it's very cleverly using the fact that we all know that to reinforce the point that these are the newbie versions of Clark, Lois, and Jimmy. Superman doesn't know how to take a hit yet, doesn't know how to give one, and this week they successfully flummoxed him by a guy just turning invisible, because he either doesn't have or doesn't know he has any expanded senses beyond hearing yet.

Also, I'm really hoping they swerve the audience and have both Lois and Jimmy find out about Clark's double identity in, like, the midpoint of this season. It just doesn't feel right for him to be lying to his friends and the three of them vs. the rest of the Daily Planet is already the dynamic, and this would just enhance it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just watched Secret Invasion episode 5 and I was like "that was quick". Turns out the episode is something like 36 minutes long.

Like god drat, it feels like we aren't even getting the length of a typical Agents of SHIELD episode in a series that cost $200 million + to produce.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just watched Secret Invasion episode 5 and I was like "that was quick". Turns out the episode is something like 36 minutes long.

Like god drat, it feels like we aren't even getting the length of a typical Agents of SHIELD episode in a series that cost $200 million + to produce.

Those 2 second "guest star" shots of Colbie Smulders aren't cheap.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
speaking of si: the the pilot guy halfway through is nat's friend in black widow right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I did like about the episode was how Gravik running roughshod over his troops had them turn on him. Usually evil boss killing his henchman just goes without a hitch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

speaking of si: the the pilot guy halfway through is nat's friend in black widow right?

Yep

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My Adventures With Superman remains just loving :discourse:, this one deserves to be a hit and I'm encouraged by the amount of clips and Tomboy Lois memes I'm already seeing spreading like wildfire on social media.

And it looks like I'm getting my wish! Lois cracking the secret identity in about two hours once she actually puts her mind to it was very nicely done, good demonstration that yes, this woman is very very smart and a hell of an investigator. I appreciate how unwilling the show is to waste anyone's time or to have anyone act out of character because that's what their comic book versions did in the 1930s. Four episodes in and Clark is already willing to trying to come clean because he doesn't like lying to his friends, Clark and Lois have admitted that they're majorly attracted to each other and tentatively started to date, and Lois has figured out Clark's secret identity -- right after they have their "date", and before he can tell her himself, despite the fact that he wanted to! Nice dramatic timing.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

My Adventures With Superman remains just loving :discourse:, this one deserves to be a hit and I'm encouraged by the amount of clips and Tomboy Lois memes I'm already seeing spreading like wildfire on social media.

And it looks like I'm getting my wish! Lois cracking the secret identity in about two hours once she actually puts her mind to it was very nicely done, good demonstration that yes, this woman is very very smart and a hell of an investigator. I appreciate how unwilling the show is to waste anyone's time or to have anyone act out of character because that's what their comic book versions did in the 1930s. Four episodes in and Clark is already willing to trying to come clean because he doesn't like lying to his friends, Clark and Lois have admitted that they're majorly attracted to each other and tentatively started to date, and Lois has figured out Clark's secret identity -- right after they have their "date", and before he can tell her himself, despite the fact that he wanted to! Nice dramatic timing.

I thought about saying something last night, but I thought I would let you go first.

It's such a fun show. Do we know how many episodes are in this season?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

I thought about saying something last night, but I thought I would let you go first.

Haha, thank you. And no, I don't.

So, Secret Invasion this week was... better? At least they immediately acknowledged that the attack on the President was very obviously done by Skrulls and there was no way that'd be taken as anything else, and the Skrulls' reaction to Garvik turning into a bad James Bond villain was to immediately mutiny and try to kill him. This seemed to be the week where everyone picked their brains up off the floor and remembered how to use them, and it's damning for the show overall that that's something I'm inclined to praise it for. An hour of not stupid spy action, good job. Shame about the other four.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

It's 10 episodes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CapnAndy posted:

Haha, thank you. And no, I don't.

So, Secret Invasion this week was... better? At least they immediately acknowledged that the attack on the President was very obviously done by Skrulls and there was no way that'd be taken as anything else, and the Skrulls' reaction to Garvik turning into a bad James Bond villain was to immediately mutiny and try to kill him. This seemed to be the week where everyone picked their brains up off the floor and remembered how to use them, and it's damning for the show overall that that's something I'm inclined to praise it for. An hour of not stupid spy action, good job. Shame about the other four.

Seriously, if the entire rest of the show had gotten to the point the way this episode did, I mighta liked it a fair bit better. And now there's only one episode left!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Coleman's character from the comics, or something? Her scenes kind of feel like the biggest "what's the point of this" scenes, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use Val or something to tie things in more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Is Coleman's character from the comics, or something? Her scenes kind of feel like the biggest "what's the point of this" scenes, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use Val or something to tie things in more.

I've assumed that the point of her character is to be someone who didn't lose their touch by being turned to dust, someone to show how much Fury lost in the spy game while he was gone.